FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Prospect84 - A Public Diary of Sorts... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/10417-prospect84-public-diary-sorts.html)

lildebbieg 12-19-2013 03:18 AM

Prospect84 - Welcome! I would wish you luck, but that almost seems negative in a way....like what you're doing isn't achievable so 'good luck'. Instead, I want to say congratulations! Congratulations on taking this step forward in your life and ditching the excuses! Only good can come from this decision! Looking forward to reading you're posts. :)

vabeachgirlNYC 12-19-2013 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Prospect84 (Post 104262)
VAbeachgirl

While I know every person is different in terms of no one diet fits all. Honestly that's why I like the idea of calorie tracking and really pumping up my protein for me! I hated the idea of "here is a planned out diet for you, you have to eat x food on y day and so on... Fit day, in the less than 7 days I have used it has already proved an outstanding tool for my eating habits. I'm also aware that the BMR isn't EXACT for each person, and people's metabolism may be above or below what is estimated to be burned in a days time. Also, that calories burned during activity might be different than what is estimated. Tracking it, and paying attention to the calorie breakdown, I feel like one should be able to adjust his or her own diet to get the results they are looking for.

I agree completely with this. No way is some diet is going to try telling me I can't have my nyc pizza or my coffee creamer!:eek: Tracking my food through Fitday is how I found what worked for me.

I may find that I personally have to go 700 calories under my estimated calories burned to keep losing towards my goal, but so long as I keep track of what I'm eating and adjust it according to results I'm seeing on the scale, then I am confident I can get to where I want to be.

You sound like you are truly on your way to getting there!

As far as eating fast food or restaraunt food... I think that it would be "possible" to eat that stuff, and still lose so long as you don't go over your calorie limit, But I realized how "calorie expensive" that stuff is, and it really doesn't give me that satisfied feeling in my stomach. I found it harder to stay "full" when I was taking in 4000+ calories worth of crap food, whereas now, I'm taking in about 2400 calories worth of clean food a day and I feel absolutely satisfied and that "hungry" feeling is almost completely non existant!

Absolutely it is possible to lose just by reducing calories, even just on fast food, but it wouldn't be healthy and I think the weight would start coming back at some point.

I have done the watch what I eat/little exercise when I had an injury and lost a lot of muscle. I did not like being "skinny/fat".
I do enjoy some junk foods and I can easily fit some pizza, alcohol, candy, etc. into my weekly macros by tracking it and because I eat "clean" 80+% of the time.

Knowing I can have that stuff makes it easier for me to eat clean the rest of the time.

Also update: weigh in this morning 292.4, still coming off :D I know a lot of it is probably water weight but my energy levels are way up and I have to think that some of that weight has to be shredded fat cells :cool:

Congrats! I use to tell myself that, when I started sweating during my workouts, it was my fat sweating out. Kind of gross but always made me push myself even harder. Ok, I still think about it that way, lol.
:D

lildebbieg 12-19-2013 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 104276)

Congrats! I use to tell myself that, when I started sweating during my workouts, it was my fat sweating out. Kind of gross but always made me push myself even harder. Ok, I still think about it that way, lol.
:D

Lol! Glad I'm not the only one who uses that visual!! I do the same thing! :D :p

Prospect84 12-19-2013 11:36 PM

I read an article yesterday that was absolutely amazing. It talks about how people can be overweight while eating low calories, I think many people that diet the wrong way, and simply think that cutting calories hardcore enough will make them drop weight. I've read other posts about this being a "yo-yo" diet, but this article will really open your eyes about it. Really good read, check it out!

Edit (oops wrong link!) Link removed
^^ that's the right one!

Also, related to myself, my weight was slightly higher today than yesterday (+0.4 lbs.), but I'm keeping my diet in check, eating lots of protein, and after reading that article I'm going to keep faith that I'm on the right path. I still feel great today, ate very clean yesterday so my confidence is high! This is the first time I've been on a "diet" that actually made me FEEL stronger and more energetic. Every other time I dieted pretty much blindly and just cut back portions instead of actually changing WHAT I ate and tracking it, and every time I felt lacking, and sapped of energy... That article opens up my eyes as to why I felt like that~ Hope you enjoy it!

It's truely amazing that we have the power to control what our metabolism does. The realization that my body doesn't give a rat's behind about what I WANT to look like in the mirror, and that it's only goal is survival was pretty cool. Understanding how my body reacts to low calories, and/or calories from the wrong sources, and adjusts my metabolism is pretty fascinating. Also to note, this completely destroys another excuse that I used to use... "I have a slower metabolism than most people" Well... I probably did but it wasn't just because I was born with it, it was because I wasn't telling my body that it's ok to kick my metabolism into high gear and burn fat off. In a sense, my body wasn't confident enough that I would keep feeding it the RIGHT calories, so it turned the calories I did take in, into fat on my body, so that it had a backup plan to survive! Really amazing stuff...

Prospect84 01-03-2014 11:01 PM

Just a little update, since it's been a week or two. I've been doing well with my eating habits and drinking enough water. I've been lifting 3 days a week, and cardio 2 days each week. My weight was up and down a LOT the first two weeks, but this third week it seems to have leveled out and is more consistant. The good thing about that is, I can see that overall my average weight is going down steadily now! I feel stronger, and more energetic through the day, and I feel like I'm sleeping better at night.

I'm down almost 10 lbs so I still have a LONG ways to go, but honestly, I don't feel hungry all the time anymore, and I'm starting to enjoy the feeling of muscles burning through a workout again. I remember that feeling from high school when it wasn't a chore, but a welcomed feeling for those muscles to burn. The feeling of progress! It isn't getting easier, I'm just getting stronger!

Keep on keepin' on people! :D

cjohnson728 01-04-2014 06:54 AM

Thanks for posting your updates. I wish you all the best. You never know how many others your journey will inspire on here :)

lildebbieg 01-05-2014 05:00 AM

Weight going up and down is very normal, especially through the holidays...as I'm sure you already know ;) Glad to see your post and to read that you're still working towards your goal.

A little quote I that I once heard that sticks in my head "consistency is the key to success" ~Kathy Smith~

When we're first on a weight loss journey, we usually come out of the corner swinging with all the energy of a young boxer....only to peter out quickly. If we just do what we can on a consistent basis, we'll ultimately reach our goal! All those small consistent changes add up to bigger changes and bigger results!! You're doing great! Keep it up! :)

Prospect84 01-14-2014 12:40 AM

Well, a couple days late on the post but this past saturday was 4 weeks into my lifechange. I'm very happy with where I am at, both physically and mentally :D

So just to recap, starting weight 300.4 lbs... Today's weigh in, exactly 4 weeks later = 285.6! that's 14.8 lbs off in just 4 weeks. That puts me ahead of my short term 12 week goal of 270, but I don't plan on letting up at all :cool:

Overall I am feeling much better, I feel stronger, I have more energy through the day at work, and I don't suffer from that "always hungry" feeling I used to get before I understood blood sugar / insulin spikes from my old diet. I am still sticking to working out at least 3 days a week. This is not any "insanity" or similar type workouts. I started by running on an elliptical for 15 minutes, then started mixing run days with lifting days after a soon-to-be brother-in-law suggested I invest in some Power Block dumbells which by the way are an AWESOME purchase if you are looking to get healthy! A little expensive but this is a lifetime change so I decided it was worth it for a long term investment. I had considered joining a gym but used that money towards buying my own stuff that I could get a good workout in at home. So I try to lift 2 days a week now, and I'm up to 25-30 minutes cardio the other day or two.

Hope everyone else is having success with their goals as well! Thanks for stopping by :)

cjohnson728 01-20-2014 03:25 AM

Keep up the good work!

Kumochi 01-20-2014 10:30 AM

Thanks for the posts. One of the nice surprises when eating right is the lack of hunger or for myself the fact that I came to recognize when I was actually hungry. Mary