Notices

Motivational Thread Starting 8/12/13

Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM
FitDay Member

Homemade low carb veggie soup:

I make this with whatever low carb veggies I have on hand. Sometimes I add precooked meat, sometimes I make it vegetarian.

I save meat juices from cooking meats in the crockpot or oven, cool and skim off the fat, then I freeze it until I accumulate enough to use for a soup stock. Sometimes it's chicken juices, sometimes beef or pork, sometimes a combo. If I don't have any stock, I used sodium free granulated beef or chicken bouillon reconstituted in water. One could also use ready-made canned or boxed stock.

Soup ingredients:
--Veggies to taste: I add what I like in whatever amounts I feel like using that day. My most commonly used veggies are:
shredded cabbage (actually never make soup without it) sliced celery, green beans, broccoli and/or cauliflower, and fresh or canned, peeled tomatoes. Sometimes I also add black soybeans or whatever leftover veggies I have on hand.
--Meat stock: either homemade, canned, boxed, or reconstituted granulated bouillon.
--Water, if using granulated bouillon
--Spices and seasonings to taste: Use what YOU like to taste. I use salt or salt substitute, Worcestershire Sauce, lemon juice, dehydrated minced onion, dried Italian seasoning, chili powder, and a couple dried bay leaves. Sometimes I add extra granulated bouillon for extra flavor.
--Optional and added at the end: already cooked, diced meat.

Method or directions:
1. First shred cabbage and chop or slice veggies. If using fresh tomatoes, peel them first, chop or dice and set aside, reserving the juices. I dip my whole tomatoes in boiling water until the skin breaks (30 seconds or so is usually enough) then put them in cold or ice water until cool enough to handle--and then cut or dice them as desired. NOTE: if using veggies that are already cooked, add those after the fresh veggies are cooked until desired tenderness.
2. Place all your veggies in a pot, including any juices from the tomatoes. Add meat stock or water and bouillon to cover veggies.
3. Add spices and seasonings to taste. Go especially easy on the lemon juice-- maybe 1/8 teaspoon to a 2 quart pot of soup which just adds a bit of brightness to the flavor. (Vinegar also works in place of lemon juice) Taste as you go along--better to add too little of some seasoning--can always add more at the end of cooking.
4. Cook until fresh veggies are tender.
5. Add any precooked veggies and/or precooked meats.
6. Adjust seasoning if desired. BE SURE TO REMOVE BAY LEAVES BEFORE SERVING--THEY ARE NOT EDIBLE AND ONE COULD CHOKE ON THEM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

First week weigh in after my first week sees me lose 6lbs!!!!
I'm extra proud of myself that I've resisted buffet food and cakes from colleagues on 3 occasions. I've been drinking so much tea to keep me away though. Really should balance this with water!!
Kiddies are staying with grandparents tonight and to save me going in cupboards I had a lovely long soak and pamper session. Followed by some 0% fat Greek yoghurt with fresh raspberries. 1 litre of water by my bed whilst having some me time.

Another week ahead...soon be time to shake the dust from my at moment too tight clothes!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Traceymc1985: Awesome job on your weight loss! It feels so great to have a super start I bet.

Mern: You are so great! Thank you so much for typing out how you make the soup. I usually throw together things too and do not use a recipe, but I love getting ideas from other people. I had no idea that there was a bouillon sodium free! Also, do you think veggie stock would work instead of meat kind? I am still sticking with my vegan diet. Thanks again for taking the time! *hugs*
Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I forgot to post my goal results from yesterday. I better hurry, because my break is about over at work!

Week goals:

1. Log everything I eat daily: yes
2. Stay under 1,200 calories/day: yes
3. Push myself to walk faster: no (my new 15 year old walking buddy wanted to walk like a slow poke last night :P )
4. Do daily stretches for better health and to relieve stress: yes
5. Walk with walking buddy in the evenings (my daughter): yes
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM
FitDay Member

RenewedSoul, thanks for your kind words. I'm sure veggie stock would work just fine for the soup.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM
FitDay Member

I'm sure my sausage and peppers casserole would also work just fine as a vegetarian dish.

No real recipe, but here's what I do:

Use however much you like of each ingredient you enjoy.

Ingredients:
--pasta (I like rotini or penne rigate, but you can use whatever you like)
--olive oil
--fresh green bell peppers
--fresh onion (whatever kind you like)
--tomatoes (peeled canned or peeled fresh) with juice--I use at least a 14 1/2 ounce can or two large fresh tomatoes for each 2 cups of cooked pasta
--salt or salt substitute
--dried Italian seasoning (start with a little and add more to taste)
--optional that I very rarely need: a little canned tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
--optional: grated Parmesan cheese
--optional: precooked turkey sausage that is already heated through

Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
2. While pasta is cooking, saute in olive oil in a preheated skillet sliced onion and green peppers until desired tenderness.
3. Add peeled tomatoes with juice and the drained, cooked pasta. Season to taste. Heat through.
(Note: I usually don't need to because DH and I don't eat it very saucy, but if the tomatoes I added don't make it saucy enough, I'd add a little canned tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce)
4. Season to taste
5. If desired, add optional sausage that is already heated through.
6. At the very end stir in optional grated Parmesan cheese.

Last edited by Mern; 08-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

Tracey! Welcome back! Kudos on your weight loss and restraint!

I'm reading the thread in bits and pieces. Don't know if I'll totally catch up on today's posts, but know that I'm rooting for all of you.

Meeting with the contractor tomorrow about more work on restoration of daughter's house from water damage. Now just ceilings in two rooms replaced and one bathroom wall to be reconstructed. I will be so glad when all this is behind us!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 AM
FitDay Member

Hii all. I have been busy cleaning beadroom closet and linen closet and bathroom. Things are looking good. I can't find the broom though. I used the vaccuum in the kitchen but it does not get under the toe area.
I have been really good so far this week.

My goals
water 8 cups-sun yes, mon. yes
exercise sun no, mon yes
log everything - sun yes mon yes
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

I weighed myself this morning and as usual, I had a good loss (or water weight I'm sure). I was down 3.8, that seems to be how I start my week, then by Wednesday or Thursday, I'm gaining it back. I'd like to keep the 3.8 loss but if I can finish off the week 3 pounds down, the Count will be happy.

Originally Posted by adyndravo1
Hii all. I have been busy cleaning beadroom closet and linen closet and bathroom. Things are looking good. I can't find the broom though. I used the vaccuum in the kitchen but it does not get under the toe area.
I have been really good so far this week.

My goals
water 8 cups-sun yes, mon. yes
exercise sun no, mon yes
log everything - sun yes mon yes
Great start!!

Originally Posted by RenewedSoul
I forgot to post my goal results from yesterday. I better hurry, because my break is about over at work!

Week goals:

1. Log everything I eat daily: yes
2. Stay under 1,200 calories/day: yes
3. Push myself to walk faster: no (my new 15 year old walking buddy wanted to walk like a slow poke last night :P )
4. Do daily stretches for better health and to relieve stress: yes
5. Walk with walking buddy in the evenings (my daughter): yes
Tell your walking buddy to pick up the pace.

Originally Posted by traceymc1985
First week weigh in after my first week sees me lose 6lbs!!!!
I'm extra proud of myself that I've resisted buffet food and cakes from colleagues on 3 occasions. I've been drinking so much tea to keep me away though. Really should balance this with water!!
Kiddies are staying with grandparents tonight and to save me going in cupboards I had a lovely long soak and pamper session. Followed by some 0% fat Greek yoghurt with fresh raspberries. 1 litre of water by my bed whilst having some me time.

Another week ahead...soon be time to shake the dust from my at moment too tight clothes!
Good job and congrats on the amazing loss!!

Originally Posted by jjrudd
Goals
1. Drink 6 glasses of water yes
2. Keep to carb limit a little over
3. 4 servings of fruits and veggies 3
4. Exercise 3X yes

Not awful but could be better.
Libby good job on losing 2lbs!

Jenn
What is your carb limit? Congrats on the good start.

Originally Posted by Mel-Mc
Hi all! I'm back from the family reunion. The Maine lobster stocks have been decimated, potato chip stocks have taken a sudden uptick, and somehow I am down a pound. Must have been all that hiking. My knees may forgive me some day. But it's time to be serious again if my winter clothing is going to fit when needed.

Goals:
1. Weigh, measure, and record everything eaten
2. Keep calories at 1400
3. Two liters of water per day (to wash away all that vacation salt and sugar)
Nice goals. Congrats on the loss, you must have went easy on the chips.

Originally Posted by iansteele
Mike - First time in 4 years over 200 isn't so bad

RS - Congratz on another good week, you never seem to have a bad one

Goals

1. Exercise like a madman
M-806
2. Under 2k calories per day
M-1626
3. Keep fat intake under control
M-28.8
4. 3 fruit/veg per day
M-3
5. 3 clients acquired this week
M-0
6. Don't rack a disciprine
M-N
Thanks, it seems as if I almost skipped right past the 190's though. Great job on the deficit. That must have been one hell of a workout!

Originally Posted by Mern

Count Mike, I hope all is well with you. Goodnight.
Thanks. It's good to be back, I just need to keep my ass in gear. Your recipes look good!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1. Weigh, measure, and record everything eaten T=Y
2. Keep calories at 1400 T=1711
3. Two liters of water per day (to wash away all that vacation salt and sugar) T=1L

Looks like everyone is having a good week. Great work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.