FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7-15-2013 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/9865-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-7-15-2013-a.html)

Mern 07-18-2013 12:36 PM

I'm still here--just having a hard time keeping up with all the posts. Things are sorta crazy here with our grandson's wedding tomorrow night and enjoying dinner Sunday night with family visiting from Florida.

Hope (canary52, newbies.) Welcome back! Thanks for your kind words about my new pic. Kudos on the healthful drinks, but yucko on the flax oil. I gave it a try two or three times and found it so nasty. I can eat flaxmeal easily as a cold or hot cereal using whey protein powder and water for the "milk." I hope you find great relief with the acupuncturist. I've never had it but believe it would work. Any plans for your July 25 wedding anniversary? We're celebrating 42 years the day before yours. We'll just go out to dinner alone--that's what we enjoy doing. But I'll take a huge party in 8 more years. :D

Quinn, that had to be really scary facing that surgery, especially knowing the tumor was so close to your spine. I'm so glad you count the numb leg as a blessing compared with the "could have beens." :) I know how lucky DH and the driver he pulled out in front of were. Sorry about your family and neighborhood's recent bouts with traffic accidents. You and I were in Mackinaw the same weekend last year and we just went to the Smokey Mts. the first week of June, but just for two nights and three days. I hope you get to do your hiking this fall. :)

Jenn, sorry to read about your mom's run-in with the cabbie. Everyone OK?

Mel-Mc, LOL on your "shoulder princess." I never hit or spanked my kids when they were young, but if I had to deal with Veruca I'd be tempted to whop her upside the head. ;)

Robin, was anyone hurt in the accident in your neighborhood?

Claire, so sorry about the loss of your hamster. Pets are family.

I have to get moving. So much to do to prepare for the weekend celebrations. I've been on track foodwise all week. May allow myself a couple controlled cheats at the wedding and dinner with Florida relatives.

Kudos to all who are doing well and big cyberhugs of support to those who are struggling.

Mel-Mc 07-18-2013 02:00 PM

Thursday update:

1. log food every day M=Y, T=Y, W=Y, T=Y
2. keep calories between 1400-1600 M=1500, T=1400, W=1685, T=1432
3. exercise on my lunch hour at least twice = 2 done

Mern 07-18-2013 10:39 PM

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47240...17904&pid=15.1

Wishing you a wonderful day full of celebration, happiness, and hugs.

Robingen 07-18-2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 101092)
Robin, was anyone hurt in the accident in your neighborhood?

Yes it was bad:(

You know, I miss Ian Steele. Due to time zones he would post between the time I went to bed and got up in the am (normally a quiet time on here). Where are you Ian Steele?

I am thinking of doing the fat flush water, apparently it was used on the biggest loser -it's the one with grapefruit, tangerine and cucumber. Any thoughts?

canary52 07-18-2013 11:32 PM

happy birthday quinn!!!!!

sorry I couldn't get anything fancier; I couldn't even get caps so please imagine caps and wonderful graphics and the best wishes ever.

canary52 07-18-2013 11:40 PM

HEY MERN! Happy anniversary to you!!! Did I mention my anniversary? I don't remember. If not, how did you know? No real plans, just a nice dinner. 31 years for us. Do you have plans for yours? Congrats on DS wedding!!!

Quinn, holy cow on your surgery. I just read Mern's post. I hope you heal quickly and completely.

Robin, sorry to hear about the accident in your neighborhood. I saw there was an accident in my neighborhood and called my child to make sure she was not there. Neve wracking when they drive.

Out of curiosity, Robin, why watermelon every day? Is there, I imagine, some benefit?

canary52 07-18-2013 11:44 PM

Goals:
1) plan what i'm eating - n n, n, y
2) stretch every day -y,y, y, y
3) meditate - y, y, y, y
4) practice Spanish -y, y, no, si
5) write 25 hours a week -not looking good.... may be wrong goal
6) do not spend too much time online: y, y, no, NO

Mel-Mc 07-18-2013 11:50 PM

Happy birthdays, anniversaries, and weddings to all those celebrating! And happy Friday to everyone else.

quinnesec 07-19-2013 12:22 AM

Thanks for the birthday wishes! :) Hubby took the day off so that we can play hookie and maybe take a drive out to my favorite winery to "re-stock". lol (...medicinal purposes, of course! ;)) A little wine tasting may be just what the doctor ordered!

Again hugs for the birthday greetings!

quinn

quinnesec 07-19-2013 12:24 AM

Enjoy your family wedding tomorrow, Mern! Sending good wishes your way for a wonderful day!

dmartz 07-19-2013 12:26 AM

• Calorie Deficit (Avg) -250/day: -429, -443, -562, -101
  • Vegetables > 3 /day: 2, 3, 2, 3
  • Cholesterol < 200 mg/day: 213, 205, 186, 112
  • Sugar < 40g / day: 31, 43, 39, 71
  • Protein > 50g / day: 84, 64, 85, 48
  • Workout > 150 min/week: 60, 10, 60, 20
Happy Birthday Quinn!

Have a lovely Friday everyone else...

Robingen 07-19-2013 01:02 AM

So many celebrations this week! Happy birthday, eh Quinn:)

Hope I saw something about a watermelon detox, and I cannot/will not starve myself so I am just eating lots of it.

RenewedSoul 07-19-2013 02:37 AM

Week is going okay. Happy birthday and anniversary to everyone that is celebrating this week! :D

Mern: I hope the wedding went well and you enjoyed yourself.

Week goals:

1. Research five different ways to relieve stress: Yes Tai chi, Yes Deep Breathing, Yes listening to music
Tai chi: A gentle way to fight stress - MayoClinic.com
Stress management: Breathing exercises for relaxation
Music and Stress Relief - How To Use Music For Stress Relief
2. Log in all food intake: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Stay under 1,200 calories a day: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Walk 5 out of the 7 days this week: Mon., Tues., Thurs.
5. Lose 2 pounds: Thinking positive

Kocialapcia 07-19-2013 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Robingen (Post 101087)
I'm still on the daily watermelon, don't know where that's going. My deficit today is -1200 and it's 8pm.......I think it's because of all the watermelon lol. I am stuffed.

As watermelon seems to be the recurring theme this week...

... people who study these things have determined that watermelon is very high on the list of high-satiety foods - one google result assigns it a level 4.5, while oatmeal is only 3.0.

Hubby says (lovingly...) I'm a mine of useless information :)

01gt4.6 07-19-2013 04:16 AM

Happy 29th Quinniepoo

Mern 07-19-2013 05:32 AM

Thanks to all for your good wishes. Grandson's wedding is tonight at 6:30--which is good because it's going to be over 100+ today with the heat index. I'm not looking forward to putting on hot pantyhose. (I need some cheese my whine. LOL) I'm going to put a note on the front door to pre-cool the car interior before we leave for the wedding.

Kocialapcia "a mine of useless information." LOL A friend of mine teases me that no one can say anything without my later researching it on the Internet.

Quinn, I hope you get to go to the winery. Sounds like a fun day. Thanks for the hug. :)

Robin, how awful that there were bad injuries from the accident in your neighborhood. I will put those involved in my prayers. I've been trying to get DH to get a vision checkup for months--I've been concerned about his peripheral vision because he's been getting too close to the edge of the driveway (next to the gully) and to the edge of two lane roads. When I jump because I think he's about to go off the road or hit the mailbox he gets mad because he thinks I'm overreacting. Maybe this accident will serve as an inentive. I haven't seen about the fat flush water, but will look into it. As long as a new idea doesn't seem harmful or depriving one of nutrition, I'm OK with it.

Hope, whenever I see someone is having a birthday or anniversary I write it down on a list I keep on the hard drive. Sometimes I remember to check the list and sometimes I don't. DH and I just like to go out to dinner alone for our anniversary.Congrats on all the daily goals you met this week.

Mel-Mc, thanks for the happy Friday wishes. Right back to ya! :)

Donna and RenewedSoul nice reports!

DH took grandkids to the park. I'm going to light a scented candle in the bathroom and shave my legs so I don't have to do it tonight. :p

ClaireS89 07-19-2013 06:55 AM

Thanks everyone for your condolences.

After almost two full weeks of regression, I'm getting back on the eating right train! Wish me luck!

jjrudd 07-19-2013 07:51 AM

Mern, I sympathize with you on putting on pantyhose! I told a friend of mine that when my brother got married it took me 10 mins to pee by the time I had to re-adjust the pantyhose and spanx.

Jenn

quinnesec 07-19-2013 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 101115)
Happy 29th Quinniepoo

You're an angel, cupcake! Now come back to the thread... we miss you!

And thanks again for everyone's well-wishes! Just got back from the winery and the wine has kicked my butt... :o But, everyone needs a good butt kicking now and then. ;) Time to sleep it off... lol.

Mern, dear...
Good luck with the leg shaving/pantyhose battle... for the first time in my life, I had to have help shaving mine... a most humbling experience! LOL

Robingen 07-19-2013 11:37 AM

Oh Mern that sounds so unpleasant......panty house and heat yuck. I hope you manage to have fun nonetheless.

Quinn, glad you enjoyed your wine.

Claire good to see you back on track.

I am going to do the fat flush. It's no big deal, just water infused with grapefruit, tangerine, cucumbers and peppermint. And it's just a supplement to clean eating, not a stand alone diet or anything. I think I will try it for a few days, and like Donna, measure the waist. The new batteries in my scale are not working anyway, lol.

Kocia, interesting about the watermelon. I did not hear that before about the satiety factor but I have been eating 3+ pieces per day all week and I have been stuffed. My cal deficit has been 1000+ every day. Because a couple weeks ago I started learning how to listen to the hunger signs of my body, instead of using fitday to determine what I can eat. I don't even know if I hit my goal weight since my scales are not working.

The other factor is that my calories expended is up due to swimming everyday. The goal was to keep cool but it is really good for burning cals.

I'll let you guys know if the fat flush tastes ok.

Mel-Mc 07-19-2013 01:19 PM

Friday update:

1. log food every day M=Y, T=Y, W=Y, T=Y, F=Y
2. keep calories between 1400-1600 M=1500, T=1400, W=1685, T=1432, F=1470

Nothing much to say. I'm hot, sweaty, and grouchy.

iansteele 07-19-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Robingen (Post 101101)
You know, I miss Ian Steele. Due to time zones he would post between the time I went to bed and got up in the am (normally a quiet time on here). Where are you Ian Steele?

I'm just hiding in the shadows while its so hot outside. The high temperature is keeping exercise to a minimum and fatty foods are on the up with ice cream being the ideal way to cool down :(

Mern 07-19-2013 04:44 PM

Grandson's wedding and reception were wonderful. Just two more family gatherings: one this Sunday with DH's sister and some of her family from Florida at a casual restaurant; and the other next week with two of my male cousins at a casual restaurant followed by dessert at my house. Great-granddaughter due to be born in about four weeks and at about six weeks of age she'll be baptized, so that'll be one more family function to attend. But I am blessed with wonderful family.

Ian, wishing you coolness, too. Oh, YOU'RE the one who told the mosquito joke. I relayed it to my DH and he got a good chuckle out of that.

Mel-Mc, great Friday report. Wishing you a cooler, drier, and happier Saturday.

Robin, DH went out and cooled down the car before we left, so I was comfortable even wearing the pantyhose. Luckily our parking spaces were close to the air conditioned church and reception hall, so I didn't get too hot. I tried a fat flush once with cucumber and ginger and it was nasty. I don't know if I can afford the carbs in the tangerine, but the cucumber, mint, and grapefruit sound quite inviting. I'll look up that recipe and see. Kudos on the calorie deficit and swimming--great way to both burn calories and stay cool.

Jenn, you gave me a good chuckle. I had to readjust in the ladies room, too-- control top pantyhose and the tummy control panel of my skirt. And it did take me about 10 minutes because when I adjusted the control panel on my skirt, it pulled my half slip down too low. And when I pulled the slip up, the control panel got puckered, But I finally got it right. I was grateful for the full length mirror in the ladies room to show me I looked smooth and the control panels did their jobs well. :)

Claire, welcome back to the eating right train! :)

Quinn, glad you made it to the winery. Hope you had a great sleep. :) I treated myself to a light beer tonight--and enjoyed every drop of it. I don't think I'd mind having my lower legs shaved by someone else, but I don't know if I could humble myself enough to allow my upper legs/thighs to be shaved by someone else. I think I'd rather look like a gorilla. LOL Shaving my legs isn't my favorite thing in the world, but enjoying aroma therapy of a scented candle while shaving my legs with hand/body lotion instead of shaving cream makes it less of a chore.

Kocialapcia 07-20-2013 01:56 AM

Mern - LOL, not just the way the expression is usually used, I am actually Laughing Out Loud at your musings on shaving and ladies room adjustments! :)

Kocialapcia 07-20-2013 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by iansteele (Post 101129)
I'm just hiding in the shadows while its so hot outside. The high temperature is keeping exercise to a minimum and fatty foods are on the up with ice cream being the ideal way to cool down :(

We make our own ice-cream:
a cup of Greek yogurt,a ripe mango, a very ripe banana, half of a whole lime (organic, with peel), a tad of ground cinnamon or cardamom or cloves or a bit of each. Optional is 1 oz of coconut rum or a tablespoon or two of raisins. Blend everything - you may want to add the raisins at the end and leave them in bigger pieces. Mangoes are so sweet, you don't need any sugar. We have a primitive manual ice cream maker, but I imagine any kind will work. The most used appliance in our house in summer!

jjrudd 07-20-2013 02:08 AM

Supposed to be cooler today but it's still pretty humid!
Was able to weigh myself this morning and I'm up a pound and a half. I'm sure some of that is water weight because it has been so hot this week but I was hoping to be down a couple of pounds by the time I went to see the Dr. I have until August 6 to turn it around a little! I thought I was eating healthy but we have been eating convenience foods a lot lately because it's too hot to cook.

Happy weekend everyone
Jenn

RenewedSoul 07-20-2013 02:25 AM

Have a good weekend everyone! :)

1. Research five different ways to relieve stress: Yes Tai chi, Yes Deep Breathing, Yes listening to music
Tai chi: A gentle way to fight stress - MayoClinic.com
Stress management: Breathing exercises for relaxation
Music and Stress Relief - How To Use Music For Stress Relief
2. Log in all food intake: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
3. Stay under 1,200 calories a day: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Walk 5 out of the 7 days this week: Mon., Tues., Thurs., Friday
5. Lose 2 pounds: Thinking positive

Robingen 07-20-2013 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by iansteele (Post 101129)

One word for that Ian: Watermelon.

libby116 07-20-2013 02:56 AM

calories under 1,100: M-903 T-1138 W-766 T-937 F-2000
exercise 7k: 1k, 1k, 2k, 2k, No, 2.5k
water 8 glasses:Y, Y, Y, Y, Y,
Yesterday started out very hot and humid and then we had an awful storm .
Our power went off and by 7pm it still wasn't back on so DH and I went out to dinner and a movie in the city. Today the air temperature has cooled down to a comfortable 26 C and I am going to exercise in comfort. Have a good week end.

Robingen 07-20-2013 04:12 AM

Mern I have no idea how one would calculate the carbs or the calories for that matter in the water. But it is infused water which means that the nutrients from the ingredients have been soaked in the water (including the peels which are very impt.) So it would definitely be way less carbs than in the ingredients themselves. Surely someone has researched this.

The water tastes "ok" it is definitely not great......you can taste everything in it. I have abandoned the idea of waist measurement as I can't seem to do this in reliable way.

Like you Jenn I have these peek a boo batteries in my scale lol, sometimes they work and sometimes not. I am now 1.6 pounds from my goal. Inching down to the magic number. Reducing my reliance on Fitday.

Libby there were power outages here too although it rarely seems to go out at my house. Glad to hear that the storm cooled things down, it did not cool things down here but the forecast is more seasonable after today.

Renewed soul, you are so dedicated! And you are rocking the plan. I hope you get your desired loss.

dmartz 07-20-2013 06:11 AM

• Calorie Deficit (Avg) -250/day: -429, -443, -562, -101, +151
  • Vegetables > 3 /day: 2, 3, 2, 3, 1
  • Cholesterol < 200 mg/day: 213, 205, 186, 112, 93
  • Sugar < 40g / day: 31, 43, 39, 71, 94
  • Protein > 50g / day: 84, 64, 85, 48, 40
  • Workout > 150 min/week: 60, 10, 60, 20, 20
It's the weekend, and as usual I'm up to my bad habits.

Mern, enough about us. Tell us about the bride!

Oh, & did I mention I think one of the greatest inventions of the modern age is laser hair removal!

libby116 07-20-2013 06:14 AM

Robin: I am so happy for you that you are so close to goal weight. We will all be jumping up an down on the big day.

Mern: lol on the shaving and undergarments. Gota keep all the jiggly bits under control Ha Ha

Mellon water sounds yummy.

2.5k walking on the tread mill. Half way to 5k whoo hoo.

Have a great week end.

libby116 07-20-2013 06:33 AM

My weight is going down slower than I anticipated so I tried changing my goal date to June 1, 2015 and now my data is gone. What can I do?
It's fixed. Thank you.

Mern 07-20-2013 09:05 AM

Kocial, glad to provide some amusement for you. You wouldn't want to hear me ranting and raving--it ain't pretty. :p Your ice cream sounds yummy--and so healthful compared to store-bought full-sugar ice cream. I manage my blood sugar without meds, so I can't have the Greek yogurt, raisins, or banana, but I do enjoy frozen melon and berries with a sprinkle of artificial sweetener.

Jenn, last time I went to the doc and wasn't down on the scale as much as I wanted, she was glad to hear I was on my way down from a higher weight. But August 6 is far enough away that you could lose a couple more pounds if you can cut down on the salt from the convenience foods. We all know that water weight comes off more quickly. (Says she who is at this moment cooking green beans with cottage ham.)

RenewedSoul, great Friday report! :D

Libby, wonderful that you were able to go out to dinner and a movie with DH after the power failure. We're supposed to get a break from our heat wave in Ohio (midwest USA) Monday. It's threatening to rain right now--I hope it comes true! There are 9000 customers in my area without power right now. Luckily we have power and the storm passed us by.

Robin, I read on the Internet that eating the peppermint, grapefruit, tangerine, cucumber, grapefruit are optional. I'll eat the cucumbers and some of the grapefruit and just enjoy the flavor from orange which I'll sub for the tangerine. Did you find tangerine? I went to Kroger today and they didn't have any tangerine and I want white grapefruit, so I'll go to the store Monday morning to start that.

I found these two sources for the fat flush water:

Ultimate 10-Day Plan to Trim Fat for Good | The Dr. Oz Show

Fat Flushing Recipes - Flush Fat with These Five Delicious Drinks

I'll be back after dinner.

Mern 07-20-2013 10:41 AM

Robin! OMG, you are so close to your goal weight! Kudos on how far you've come from your highest weight. :)

Libby, kudos on the treadmill. Glad you got your new goal date fixed. I saw your question after you got it fixed. Wishing you a great weekend, too. I can't tell you how happy I was with the jiggly bit control. I honestly would have been mortified without that, especially by my huge belly that hangs down and was well camouflaged by the design and draping of the top of my outfit. But I must also add that all the trouble I had to go through to find something that worked for me was an experience I hope to avoid in the future. I left many dressing rooms empty-handed and count myself lucky to have not felt self-conscious at the wedding and reception. Quite an incentive to get serious about losing weight.

Donna, kudos to you for logging Friday and for doing so well on your cholesterol all week and surpassing your workout goal! :) Oh, laser hair removal sounds nice. Did you have it done or did you invest in an appliance? One thing I'm happy about, though, is that my mother-in-law's prediction came true--as I got older, my hair growth got lighter so I don't have to shave as often.

Our grandson's bride looked beautiful in her strapless gown that was form fitting to the waist and then flared out from there to the floor. No train on the dress, Very simple, medium length veil. The bridesmaids wore turquoise (same color but different styles of dress) and the groomsmen had black tuxes, white shirts with turquoise vests. Flowers were white, deep pink and light pink. At the reception: the banquet hall had beautiful chandeliers. The round tables (each seating eight guests) had white table lines with turquoise cloth napkins beautifully flowing out from our water glasses. Table centerpieces were the same flowers as in the bride's bouquet, in vases that had two foot tall narrow stems below the stems of the flowers so that the view of guests across the table was unobstructed. The chairs were elegantly covered with white linen; the most gorgeous huge turquoise bows on the back of each chair with ribbons dangling all the way to 1/2 inch above the floor. The food was simple, but delicious, perfectly chilled or piping hot as each food should be. They had gourmet individual cheesecake and parfait desserts in addition to the wedding cake.

libby116 07-20-2013 11:16 AM

calories under 1,100: M-903 T-1138 W-766 T-937 F-2000 S-905
exercise 7k: 1k, 1k, 2k, 2k, No, 2.5k
water 8 glasses:Y, Y, Y, Y, Y, Y,
It was harder getting all the water in today because I wasn't sweating as much. The housework was much easier to do and it was nice to have the windows open all day. I exceeded my walking target for the week so I am going to raise it to 8k next week. Just one more day till weigh in.
Mern: I had the same problem finding a dress for a funeral. I needed a body shaper and panty hose as well. I made sure to use the bathroom at home so I did't have to go until I got back home. The wedding must have been lovely. My niece is getting married in mid August and I will need a new dress. I am not looking forward to shopping.

Mel-Mc 07-20-2013 03:10 PM

Saturday update:

1. log food every day M=Y, T=Y, W=Y, T=Y, F=Y, S=N
2. keep calories between 1400-1600 M=1500, T=1400, W=1685, T=1432, F=1470, S=??

Nothing got logged today but I don't think I went crazy overboard, except for the iced tea. I lost count of the glasses I drank and liquid calories add up so quickly and always surprise me. The heat wave is supposed to break overnight and maybe my brain will get back on track.

Mern, the wedding sounds just lovely.

canary52 07-21-2013 01:46 AM

Goals:
1) plan what i'm eating - n n, n, y y, n2) stretch every day -y,y, y, y, y n
3) meditate - y, y, y, y, y, y
4) practice Spanish -y, y, no, si, si no
5) write 25 hours a week -not looking good.... may be wrong goal must adjust goal
6) do not spend too much time online: y, y, no, NO, no YES no time

I gained 6 pounds, gotta get busy...

jjrudd 07-21-2013 02:10 AM

Mel-Mc I hear you on the iced tea. I like to drink iced tea in the summertime but I turned the bottle around to look at the nutritional content and was shocked to see how many carbs were in a bottle of iced tea--all that sugar probably.
Humidity still a little high today. I've already had 2 glasses of water!

Jenn

libby116 07-21-2013 04:10 AM

When I go to a restaurant I ask for water with lemon. At home I squeeze a lemon into a pitcher of water. It flavours the water enough so that I'm not just drinking plain boring water. Drink up.