Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 7-1-2013

Old 07-05-2013, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Someone told me that they read somewhere that if you say "I want to but I can't" you feel deprived, so turn it around and say, instead, "I can but I don't WANT to". I love this and I use it in my head sometimes.

Looking forward to hearing your personal story (with accompanying photos of course)
Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mel-Mc
Friday Update #2

Goals:

1. log food every day M-yes T - yes W - yes Th - yes F-yes
2. keep calories between 1400-1600 M-1530 T-1480 W - 1750 Th - 1612 F-1730
3. exercise on my lunch hour at least twice 1 done

A bit over on the calorie target, but not crazy over so I'll give myself a silver star.

Did you ever consider doing a "rolling average" for your cals? Just a thought that it is a goal that might work better for you.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Robingen
Someone told me that they read somewhere that if you say "I want to but I can't" you feel deprived, so turn it around and say, instead, "I can but I don't WANT to". I love this and I use it in my head sometimes.

Looking forward to hearing your personal story (with accompanying photos of course)

Thank you for this Robin. I love "I can but I don't WANT to." I may add this to the bottom of my signature dealy, if you don't mind.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM
FitDay Member

Quinn, it would be wonderful if I caught more things (other than fruit and nuts) that really matter. LOL I didn't know about surgery related anemia. Is that typical of everyone or an individual thing? Quite a rigid schedule you have, but it sounds like it serves you well. Wonderful that you have that hour of quiet time--I would think that is very calming. Maybe I should try that so I'd be less b**chy (did you get that? ) with my DH. My daughter, a mother of four, doesn't cook much--mostly convenience foods. I tried to teach her when she was young, but she wasn't interested.

Cool that your DH is happy to take the laundry job permanently. My DH does almost all the laundry--I do only my lingerie, tops, and dress slacks--he does all the rest. He started doing that when he retired in 1999. Good for you for soaking up all your limitations for the full six weeks. You ain't no dummy! LOL But, oh, I do remember, now that you mention it, how you love to cook. So glad you made it to the fireworks and that you are feeling so good so soon after your surgery!

Thanks for your encouragement. Mike's pep talk really spurred me to make a good restart.

My family is doing fine, thanks. I don't know if you caught my post a while back that live-in GD got married and moved out. It just about crushed my spirit because I was so hoping she wouldn't get married until she got at least her bachelor's degree, but I'm trying to make the best of it. She and her DH, whom I love dearly, now live with his parents just 4 1/2 miles from here and are expecting a baby girl in mid-August. All appears to be going well with the baby's development. Taking her on a baby shopping spree one week and then buying her a bunch of maternity clothes helped me get into it a little more. Then my daughter had a baby shower for her at my house because her house was too small. GD's DH and his parents are excited and happy about the baby. I love babies, it's just so soon, but I know it will all be fine. GD is taking a year off college (much to my dismay) but it's because she chose breastfeeding which would be too difficult for going to school full time and working full time as she was doing. I pray she will find her way back to college. She was promoted to shift manager at Burger King, but will try to take 6 weeks maternity leave for bonding with the baby. So the facts that she and her DH are looking forward to loving this baby with all their hearts and both sides of the family are supportive are very comforting to me.

Last edited by Mern; 07-05-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Tori, honey, that was a lot of grief you went through this week. I hope the weekend brings you comfort and peace--and fixed problems. But LOL on Quinn's suggestion of a good the country song.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
FitDay Member

Claire, you are living proof that we don't have to have all perfect days to be successful. Raw calories on track and a lot more walking at work go a long way.

aysehoca, how wonderful that your day went so well. I am in awe of your going through your move to Turkey and avoiding the Nutella and cookies. 2 miles of treadmill is pretty darned good when one is that busy. And opting out of the 160 calories left is really admirable. Well done! Have a great weekend!

Donna, your sense of humor keeps me giggling--flakes and calorie whiplash. LOL Wishing you a smoother ride on calories next week but if that were me I'd still have a nice calorie deficit. Giving you props for your successes this week!

Mike, the San Francisco pics are wonderful. What a great photographer you are! Is the black and white one of the trolley yours? Glad your back is feeling better. I saw a guy on a bike yesterday where the handlebars were so high I didn't know how he could steer it. You know, I did see a crockpot cake recipe a while back but I don't recall where and didn't copy the recipe.

Robin, kudos on your accomplishments this week including the walking challenge. I am in awe of your being able to log "after the fact" and still having a calorie deficit. On the cravings, I see where you're coming from. But it affects me a little differently. If I allow myself to have cake or regular candy (as opposed to sugar free) or pizza, it sends me into carb cravings. But things like diet pop or sugar free candy or flaxmeal muffins made with artificial sweetener don't cause me cravings. So it must be the real sugar/carb content that is the criteria for me. Thanks for sharing "I can but I don't WANT to". Quite inspirational!

RenewedSoul, what a great day with your girls. Girly stuff is so fun. Kudos on the salad--that had to be hard with the girls eating cashew chicken! Wow, you surely do have the willpower. I'd go nuts eating mostly raw veggies. I probably eat half raw and half cooked, and mine are mostly green veggies except for cauliflower, cabbage, and cucumbers. When you said "potato" I DID think you meant white potato until I saw your next post clarifying that. I love mashed white potatoes but can't eat them because I can't process the carbs in them, but I enjoy as a potato substitute mashed cauliflower or mashed broccoli with cheese, onion, and sometimes a bit of sour cream. Sounds like you have a doctor you really trust and that will give you the time to talk to you about your food choices. That's wonderful--mine is like that, too. I used to have trouble remembering to take my fish oil and other supplements but then I found a free program called Desktop Reminder 2 to download from the Internet. It works for me because I don't work outside the home, share the computer with DH and my grandkids, so my computer is on all day long. I programmed in what time of day to take which supplements and it has a comical yodel as a reminder alarm.

Mel-Mc, your silver star is well-deserved! Way to go!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
FitDay Member

Friday report:

--take my daily supplements to help keep blood cholesterol normal YES, YES, YES, YES, YES

--1200-1600 calories per day 1494, 1451, 1220, 1308, 1390

--6 servings fruits/veggies per day YES, NO, YES, YES, NO

Daily averages
--sat fat average 12% max. of daily calories: 11%, 19%, 6%, 13%, 11%--gives me an average of 12%
--dietary cholesterol 250mg: 202mg, 373mg, 87mg--so average is on target at 221mg, 114mg, 184mg
--protein 120g: 140g, 136g. 143g, 99g gives me an average of 130g, 124g
--net carbs (total carbs less fiber) 25g: 25g, 16g, 25g, 29g leaves me with an on-target average of 24g, 24g
--dietary fiber 30g: 49g, 13g, 51g--giving me an average of 31g. 33g, 39g

1/2 hour exercise 5 days per week YES, YES, YES, YES, day off exercise
64 oz. water per day YES. YES, YES, YES, YES
Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 AM
FitDay Member

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 828, 2041, 1414, 2003, 1772
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 43, 184, 200, 97, 193
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 2, 3, 3, 3, 3
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 17, 78, 80, 43, 53
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 86, 79, 59, 88, 68
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 15, 20, 40, 0, 0
Mern, thanks for the kind words. Now I have to get my butt off this chair and exercise!

P.S. Those high handlebars on a motorcycle are called 'ape hangers.'
Old 07-06-2013, 01:37 AM
FitDay Member

Donna, way to go on your cholesterol all week! How do you track your sugar intake? I gotta beef up my exercise. I could easily add some jumping jacks or marching in place several times a day for just a couple minutes at a time to help keep my metabolism up. Oh, ape hangers--sure looks like an appropriate name for those high bike handlebars. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:38 AM
FitDay Member

For yesterday:
1.) Be okay with number of calories I eat (and I'll be honest about it!) - M: mm, I could have done better, but I also avoided cheesecake, so my blood sugar thanked me for that, T: Yes, W: I'm giving this one a no. , Th: Yes, and it was frickin' hard too - I wanted to eat all the food in the universe, F: I wish I had been a wee bit more controlled
2.) Drink 64 oz. water/day - M: Y, T: I think I failed, W: Y, Th: Y, F: Almost, I'm counting it
3.) Exercise
M: Gym - Done
T: Run 4 miles - Done, even though I thought I was going to die
W: Gym - Sort of... I went, but only stayed for like 10 minutes because my blood sugar was weird and I didn't feel like doing it... not my best moment but I suppose not my worst
Th: Run 3 miles - Done
F: Gym - Done
S: off
Su: Run 4 miles

I went out last night - I'd left calories in my day to have a couple drinks. I ended up eating some grilled flatbread that wasn't the least healthy thing I could have eaten, but I wish I'd just stuck with my drinks. Ah well.

Here's to the weekend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.