FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread Starting 6-24 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/9756-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-6-24-a.html)

Kocialapcia 06-29-2013 05:25 AM

Robin-way to go! Yey!

Ian - 897 calories from exercise? You may have mentioned your regimen a while ago, but it eludes me now - what do you do that adds up to that much?

Shall we carefully choose a week with no social activities planned and attempt a full 7 days with no booze as one of our goals? I'll back out if I'm freaking you out now....

On the other hand... wine is my only weakness... that's how we customarily end the day...I don't even know what a blizzard is (or a Dairy Queen for that matter)! Oh, well.

Still working on the walking challenge - I'll do some today and the remainder tomorrow.

bojibridge 06-29-2013 06:05 AM

Yeah, so I kind of blew yesterday. I think today will be better. Fingers-crossed. I also wasn't able to get in my second mid-week run this week, but that wasn't my fault - stupid rain. I'm just going to keep going with it, I've got a 5-miler tomorrow.

I felt decidedly sorry for myself yesterday evening because my blood sugars have been on a roller coaster the last couple of days and so I decided to generally bemoan the burden of diabetes. This happens once every couple of months. I'm over it today (helped by the three glasses of wine and the gin gimlet I had last night - wish I could say I was sorry about that, but I'm really not.)

Today, I'm enjoying the tennis, and I'm going to see World War Z later with friends. Hope you are all having a good weekend.

carolynnq 06-29-2013 06:37 AM

I've never had a blizzard. :( Or maybe that should be :).

Today my exercise is going to be helping my son & DIL move apartments. They (and the 3 cats they rescued from their Peace Corps country) have been living in a studio apartment that they took on a month-to-month lease while they were job hunting. So they won't have too much stuff to move, but stairs are involved.

Robin - wow! only 4 more pounds to go. All of your hard work has paid off. And good for you for resisting the fried chicken yesterday. Funnily enough, yesterday I was thinking that I've lost all taste for fast food EXCEPT for fried chicken. I haven't had any in at least 6 months, but I still crave it once in a while. On the Food Hospital show I've been watching, every time a person says that fried chicken is among the take out they eat, the dietician brings out a bucket of chicken, grabs a piece or two, and wrings the grease out of it. It's really disgusting. Maybe if I keep that image in my mind, it will help me resist.

Ian - what a great week you're having!

Joanna - maybe the Mexican food you had yesterday wasn't all bad. Apparently spicy food can help us spend an extra 50 calories a day.

Epixi - You're a little over, but not enough that it should result in a weight gain.

Robingen 06-29-2013 11:35 AM

Oatcakes ugh

I don't even eat cookies, but somebody brought me some of "effie's homemade oatcakes" from Boston. I love these. Good thing I can't buy them usually (8 hours drive). I ate 4. And I was doing so good :(t least they are "all natural" ingredients.

For those of you who have never been at a DQ or tried a blizzard, I am in shock. I live in the STICKS and I have eaten way too many of these. So if you have never tried one I guess you have to if you are ever near a DQ.

I am rocking the goals and totally blowing the walking challenge. Nothing again today :( Did a bunch of errands (some to do with work) and now I am going to grab my book and lay on the couch (oatcakes out of sight).

One of the things I did was smudge my office today. Because it's Saturday. Last time I did it was a Fri night and the cleaner reported to the landlord that we were" burning something that smelled funny" so I decided that next time I would do it on a Saturday. I'm pretty sure they thought we were smoking pot lol.

Goals:

1. 3 workouts this week (excluding walking challenge): M-N, T-Swim, W-Weights, Th-swim, F-nothing, S-nothing
2. 3 vegs/day: M-3, T-5. W-4. Th-6, F-3, S-4
3. Omega 3 everyday: M-Y, T-Y, W-Y, Th-Y, F-Y, S-Y
4. >3k calorie deficit this week: M- 811, T-1189, W-753, Th-948. F-721, S-369 (fortunately I had some in the bank).

Walking Challenge: 3.5 miles in. No change.

ClaireS89 06-29-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Robingen (Post 100353)
For those of you who have never been at a DQ or tried a blizzard, I am in shock. I live in the STICKS and I have eaten way too many of these. So if you have never tried one I guess you have to if you are ever near a DQ.

I think it depends on where you live, if you'll have one, honestly. As to having to try one, well, only if you're willing to drop 500+ calories (in a small) on a dessert--even a most tasty one.:p

carolynnq 06-29-2013 01:31 PM

I've been to DQs - not recently though - just never had a blizzard. I'd always get their soft serve vanilla cone dipped in chocolate - yum! I had better get my mind thinking about something else.

Actually, we just got back from helping the "kids" move. It's hot and I'm beat. All I can think about now is tall, cool drinks (iced tea - unsweetened).

libby116 06-29-2013 02:48 PM

calories under 1100: M-986 T-2200 W-987 T-922 F-936 S-1725
water 6 glasses a day: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No
exercise 5K a week: M-No T-.5k W-No T-No F-No S-No

There are days when I am in complete control even under pressure and then other days when I am stress free and I lose all control. I blew it again.

ClaireS89 06-29-2013 03:13 PM

Bit of a high day today (2494, I'm not good like all y'all, if I come in under 2500 I'm a happy camper :P).

RenewedSoul 06-30-2013 12:15 AM

I have been really busy, so I haven't been able to type on the forum. The weekend is half over and so far, I have denied temptations. It seems like everywhere I go people want me to try something they have cooked or bought. Even my mom offered me popcorn covered with butter at the ballgame last night. I just gave her the "eye" and she was like "Oh sorry!" lol Everyone stay strong through the rest of the weekend!

Weeks goals:

*Drink 12 oz of water with each meal: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
*Walk daily: Yes, yes, yes, yes, no, Yes
*Eat less than 1,100 calories a day: Yes, Yes, 1,182 no, Yes, Yes, Yes
*Walk stairs (2 flights) at work 20 times a day/3 days this week: Yes, yes, Yes
*Lose at 2 pounds: I am retaining water this week, don't think I will make this goal, we will see :(

Dad_in_FL 06-30-2013 12:29 AM

Dietary disaster yesterday - started w/ decision to have a beer, followed by two more. Which was followed by cravings and bad judgement... and then came the annual 4th of July party at the club. 1,500 more calories than I really needed yesterday.

So now do I fast for a day to make up for it, or just blow it off and get back on the horse?

libby116 06-30-2013 12:33 AM

There are days when I am in complete control even under pressure and then other days when I am stress free and I lose all control. I blew it again. Hubby
forgot our anniversary. I was ticked. I cooked rib eye steak with baked potatoes and sour cream and a spring salad with white balsamic dressing.
Later we had pop and chips while we watched a movie. There will be no weight loss this week. I hope I can do better in July.

Robingen 06-30-2013 12:59 AM

I'm so glad to see you newbies posting on the weekend, many of our forum members disappear on the weekends!

For those of you who "blew it" in some way (beer, chips, etc), you can't change the past (even yesterday), you just learn from it and carry on. Everyone has their own unique struggles when it comes to blowing the calorie count they are following. So you have to figure out what your weakness is.

Examples could be:

-You aren't eating enough and your body is reacting by cravings.
-You are in a deprivation mindset about your diet, which makes it very easy to abandon.
-Exposure to certain foods (I LEARNED that there cannot be cheezies in the house).
-Eating foods that trigger cravings (Dad this would be your beer I guess). -For many of us all sugary foods trigger cravings.

The most impt thing is not to give up. Lot's of water and fiber the day after a binge are good too.

Libby......there was nothing wrong with your supper as long as you had portion control unless there was a specific craving for you. You don't have to eat tuna and lettuce everyday lol that won't sustain itself.

I'm down another pound today so it's now 3 pounds to goal. Surprisingly the weightloss seems to be speeding up again after months of being painfully slow.

Robingen 06-30-2013 03:58 AM

After a slow, difficult walk I made it to 5.5 on the walking challenge. I have MS and have been having "leg and feet" problems for the past 6 weeks. I know that walking is "good for me" and I want to/need to do it. But it is extremely unpleasant right now. One of these days I will wake up and my legs will be "back to normal". I will be running again:p

I know that I need to do "a little walking everyday". I WILL do better with this next week.

libby116 06-30-2013 05:23 AM

Supper was fine but I should gone without the chips and pop.
Robin: Does this mean you are at 163 now. Whoo Hoo you must feel so good. I love the smell of sweet grass. My sister in law is Ojibwe and I have learned a little bit about her culture.

ToriD1012 06-30-2013 05:45 AM

Hey y'all. I know I've been MIA, again. A lot going on. I finally got word from the doctor's office on the tests they ran. Unfortunately, it wasn't the phone call I wanted, but at least I finally got some sort of answer. All of the symptoms that I've been passing off as being from my thyroid, may not be. I've been sluggish, fatigued, have had severe headaches, hair loss, weight gain, the list goes on. And while SOME of it may be coming from my thyroid, some of it may be coming from other issues too. I'm being set up with a rheumatologist, so hopefully I'll be able to get to the bottom of all of it. It was the outcome I was expecting, just not the one I wanted. And while, I still may not have anything more serious, it's a huge likelihood that I will. So, I'm going to stay positive. Or as positive as I can be. I'm going to take each day at face value, but I'm not going to give up. I can and WILL reach goal. It'll just take longer than I had expected it to.

Thank you all for your well wishes. I'll be back tomorrow with a new set of goals. Maybe just maybe I can stay away from the chips and dip today :o The stress eating has taken control this week....

libby116 06-30-2013 06:24 AM

Chips, dip and pop were my down fall yesterday but not today. You and I can both stay away from them today. Be strong.

Robingen 06-30-2013 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 100378)
Hey y'all. I know I've been MIA, again. A lot going on. I finally got word from the doctor's office on the tests they ran. Unfortunately, it wasn't the phone call I wanted, but at least I finally got some sort of answer. All of the symptoms that I've been passing off as being from my thyroid, may not be. I've been sluggish, fatigued, have had severe headaches, hair loss, weight gain, the list goes on. And while SOME of it may be coming from my thyroid, some of it may be coming from other issues too. I'm being set up with a rheumatologist, so hopefully I'll be able to get to the bottom of all of it. It was the outcome I was expecting, just not the one I wanted. And while, I still may not have anything more serious, it's a huge likelihood that I will. So, I'm going to stay positive. Or as positive as I can be. I'm going to take each day at face value, but I'm not going to give up. I can and WILL reach goal. It'll just take longer than I had expected it to.

Thank you all for your well wishes. I'll be back tomorrow with a new set of goals. Maybe just maybe I can stay away from the chips and dip today :o The stress eating has taken control this week....

Tori, very courageous to share this news with us and also your struggles with it. Whatever the outcome, you will be able to deal with it. I guess it just confirms the need to take good care of yourself and to make good choices.

dmartz 06-30-2013 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dad_in_FL (Post 100366)
Dietary disaster yesterday - started w/ decision to have a beer, followed by two more. Which was followed by cravings and bad judgement... and then came the annual 4th of July party at the club. 1,500 more calories than I really needed yesterday.

So now do I fast for a day to make up for it, or just blow it off and get back on the horse?

None of the above.

The best remedy is to eat especially healthy for the next few days, and 20% less calories than 'normal.' (Where 'normal' is your current calorie goal.)

- Donna

dmartz 06-30-2013 06:47 AM

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 879, 864, 1040, 1972, 869, 2077
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 281, 61, 177, 167, 146, 292
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 0, 1, 0, 2, 3, 3
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 48, 27, 66, 100, 65, 84
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 44, 53, 36, 113, 31, 110
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 60, 0, 60, 0, 0, 0
Definitely went for the cupcakes yesterday (and today -- They were too good.) Although, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Going to try to work some of it off today.

Tori: Sounds like there are still more questions than answers regarding your health. That sucks, but know there are many out 'here' who are sending well wishes your way. (& here's a goal suggestion: Ditch the Dew!)

- Donna

carolynnq 06-30-2013 08:29 AM

Went swimming late this morning - the first time I've been able to take advantage of weekend lap swim hours.

Tori - {{{Hugs}}} I know not having a diagnosis can be stressful. Take care of yourself.

Originally Posted by Dad_in_FL (Post 100366)

Get back on the horse. Fasting often leads to bingeing. When I blow it big, I try to analyze the situation and plan how I could better handle it the next time around. Do as Donna says and cut calories over the next couple of days or try to get in more exercise.

Originally Posted by RenewedSoul (Post 100365)
... Even my mom offered me popcorn covered with butter at the ballgame last night. I just gave her the "eye" and she was like "Oh sorry!" ...(

LOL - I can just see that.

--------
1. Avg under 1400/day calories for week 1412, 1369, 1323, 1290, 1299, 1156
2. Avg 45-min day extra movement 65, 55, 35, 120, 30, 60
3. No white flour, sugar foods N, Y,Y, n, y, n (pizza)
4. 3 cups of green tea daily (started Tues) Y,Y, y, y, y

iansteele 06-30-2013 08:37 AM

I slept most of the weekend but managed to get in the final part of the walking challenge on Sunday, yay. All goals reached except the exercise goal, I will do it next week I swear!

>500 calories worth of exercise each day
M-458, T-183, W-416, Th-27, F-897, S-18, Su-202 Average - 314
<2500 calories from alcohol for the week
M-0, T-0, W-0, Th-1080, F-0, S-0, Su-0 Total - 1080
>2500 calories difference for the week
M-1624, T-1305, W-1508, Th-93, F-1192, S-1284, Su-1686 Total - 8692
<40g fat per day
M-35.4, T-46.6, W-24.3, Th39.4, F-55, S-21, Su-19 Average - 34.4

Walking challenge - 10/10

Kocialapcia - 897 is a combination of walking and calisthenics. I like to do 2-5 minutes of high intensity calisthenics whenever I get the chance, so it usually adds up quite nicely if I can get it done 10 times a day.

I'm up for the no alcohol challenge, but like you said, lets choose a week carefully, 1080 from alcohol is the lowest I've done since joining this group.

Robingen 06-30-2013 09:07 AM

Ian you are doing so awesome.

01gt4.6 06-30-2013 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Robingen (Post 100333)
My favorite blizzard is a peanut butter cup. I think I too Mike would partake if I could get them so rarely. But I have one literally 3 blocks away from my work. I literally work on a street that has almost every fast food franchise around. But the pool is only 3 blocks away, and it's indoor and it's 3 dollars a swim, so it's all good.

Today I am 4 pounds from my goal weight. Mike thank you for coming up with a fun theme this week because I am getting bored(!) of my goals.

Big congrats on the -4!

Originally Posted by episode2011 (Post 100336)
Claire (and Mike, Ian and Robin), I feel so out of the loop. I've never had a Blizzard. Lived through (and shoveled out from :eek:) a few, but have never eaten one. I couldn't even tell you where the nearest DQ is, but it must be fairly far away. I don't even recall seeing any DQ ads since we moved here.

Originally Posted by Kocialapcia (Post 100344)
I don't even know what a blizzard is (or a Dairy Queen for that matter)! Oh, well.

Originally Posted by carolynnq (Post 100348)
I've never had a blizzard. :( Or maybe that should be :).

Originally Posted by Robingen (Post 100353)

Originally Posted by ClaireS89 (Post 100354)
I think it depends on where you live, if you'll have one, honestly. As to having to try one, well, only if you're willing to drop 500+ calories (in a small) on a dessert--even a most tasty one.:p

Originally Posted by carolynnq (Post 100356)
I've been to DQs - not recently though - just never had a blizzard. I'd always get their soft serve vanilla cone dipped in chocolate - yum! I had better get my mind thinking about something else.

So much to talk about today but I guess I'll hit on a popular subject. If anyone is wanting a Blizzard but doesn't have a DQ near by, try to locate a Sonic and get a blast. If you want it to be just like a Blizzard, get it without whipped cream. But as stated before, be careful, it's a calorie bomb. For the others that don't know what a Blizzard is, it vanilla ice cream that's crammed with your choice of goodness. Like Reese's PB cup pieces, Butterfinger, Oreo, etc.

As for me this week. I've been active. I workout 3 times this week, which is probably the first time in MONTHS! I've only walked once for the 3.33 miles. Did a lot of yard work. Nearly past out yesterday in the heat. The scale was up for me today so my "3 pounds lost" isn't going to happen.

libby116 06-30-2013 09:39 AM

calories under 1100: M-986 T-2200 W-987 T-922 F-936 S-1725 S-1103
water 6 glasses a day: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, Yes
exercise 5K a week: M-No T-.5k W-No T-No F-No S-No S-No

This is how I ended the week. I hope that tomorrows weigh in will say that my weight stayed the same and not a gain.

01gt4.6 06-30-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by libby116 (Post 100392)
calories under 1100: M-986 T-2200 W-987 T-922 F-936 S-1725 S-1103
water 6 glasses a day: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, Yes
exercise 5K a week: M-No T-.5k W-No T-No F-No S-No S-No

This is how I ended the week. I hope that tomorrows weigh in will say that my weight stayed the same and not a gain.

Great job on the water and regaining momentum after Tuesday!

libby116 06-30-2013 02:31 PM

Thanks Mike. I hope that July will be better. I was counting on losing 6 pounds a month but it looks like I wouldn't make it this month. I have a wedding to go to in August and I wanted to be in the 160's by then. I will get there but not by August. Keep up the good work.

Robingen 06-30-2013 04:09 PM

Goals:

1. 3 workouts this week (excluding walking challenge): M-N, T-Swim, W-Weights, Th-swim, F-nothing, S-nothing, S-nothing PASS
2. 3 vegs/day: M-3, T-5. W-4. Th-6, F-3, S-4, S-4 PASS
3. Omega 3 everyday: M-Y, T-Y, W-Y, Th-Y, F-Y, S-Y, S-Y PASS
4. >3k calorie deficit this week: M- 811, T-1189, W-753, Th-948. F-721, S-369, S-288 (fortunately I had some in the bank). Over 5000 PASS

Walking Challenge: 5.5 miles in. FAIL

Movie theatre popcorn tonight but it was planned so I accounted for it in my daily budget, sort of. A small bag ended up having more cals than I thought but I am still in a deficit. Barely.

I hope someone comes up with an interesting theme for next week, GAWD I am so bored with my goals lol.

amrn1965 06-30-2013 09:38 PM

This weeks goals :p

1. Strength train 4 days this week (2 upper 2 lower body workouts)
2. Eat 4 meals a day and keep cal below 1600
3. 2 twenty minute cardio workouts after 2 of the meals
4. Read and study 1 chapter a day of the book "Think and Grow Rich"
5. Blog daily

dmartz 06-30-2013 11:31 PM

Recap

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 879, 864, 1040, 1972, 869, 2077, 1511: 1316
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 281, 61, 177, 167, 146, 292, 161: 183
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 0, 1, 0, 2, 3, 3, 2: 1.5
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 48, 27, 66, 100, 65, 84, 65: 65
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 44, 53, 36, 113, 31, 110, 92: 68
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 60, 0, 60, 0, 0, 0, 35
Made 4 of 6 this week. Sugar, well that one I should have left off, as I knew it would be a bust, but did well on calories, and workout. As always, I need to eat more vegetables.

Kocialapcia 07-01-2013 01:15 AM

Tori:
I join the others in sending good thoughts and hugs to you. When you get a definite medical opinion, you'll get some kind of a plan to follow and that's always easier. And you'll be able to focus on Fitday better, too.

Robin:
I have not been here long enough to get bored with my goals yet, and yet I also feel I have to give them more thought. I absolutely loved the Count of Three and yet I failed spectacularly at all goals this week.

Walking challenge: 6.34/10 FAIL
3 extra activities: 1/3 FAIL

For those who also struggled this week - Let's do better next week!

RenewedSoul 07-01-2013 02:41 AM

I lost 3 pounds. I didn't think I would, because I was swelled up most of the week from fluid retention. (oh the joys of being a woman)

Weeks goals:

*Drink 12 oz of water with each meal: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
*Walk daily: Yes, yes, yes, yes, no, Yes, no
*Eat less than 1,100 calories a day: Yes, Yes, 1,182 no, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
*Walk stairs (2 flights) at work 20 times a day/3 days this week: Yes, yes, Yes
*Lose at 2 pounds: I lost 3! :) Yes

libby116 07-01-2013 02:49 AM

calories under 1100:
water 6 glasses a day:
exercise 5K a week:

(This is how I ended the week. I hope that tomorrows weigh in will say that my weight stayed the same and not a gain.)

Hi everyone. I did it. I lost a pound last week and four pounds for June. It's not the six that I was planning on but I hope to do better in July.
Thanks Mike for the encouragement.

dmartz 07-01-2013 03:02 AM

Hi Y'all! We've moved on to a new week. I was just about to start a new weekly thread, when I saw Mern started one.

Double yeah!! I usually let someone else start the week's thread, and ...

MERN's BACK! Woohoo!

If you've listed goals here for the week beginning July 1. Please transfer them to here

- Donna