FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread Starting May 6--Going Down? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/9528-7-day-motivational-thread-starting-may-6-going-down.html)

jjrudd 05-06-2013 01:01 AM

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting May 6--Going Down?

Good morning everyone. If I start maybe that will make me more accountable to keeping my goals.

1. Stay within carb limit
2. 4 servings of fruits and veggies
3. At least 6 glasses of water
4. Exercise 30 min 4X
5. Lose the 2lbs that I gained
6. Try not to get discouraged

Jenn

dmartz 05-06-2013 01:12 AM

Goals

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day:
  • Cholesterol < 200mg:
  • Vegetables > 3 / day:
  • Protein > 50 g / day:
  • Sugar < 50 g / day:
  • Workout > 150 min/wk:

episode2011 05-06-2013 01:17 AM

Good Monday morning and thanks for starting us up, Jenn! I'm still trying to sort out last week and formulate specific recovery goals for this week. This will be another tricky week, however, what with Mother's Day and my birthday (fifty-something plus 1! :p) coming this weekend. Part of this week's goals will be trying to make-up for last week; the other part will be a preemptive strike against the upcoming weekend.

It can be done.

carolynnq 05-06-2013 04:23 AM

Jenn - Your #6 "Try not to get discouraged" is important - and sometimes difficult to do. Even on your "fail" days, I bet that most of the time you're doing better than before you started your weight loss journey.

It's so easy to put on a pound and so hard to take it off.

1. 3 meals + 2-3 snacks (no extra snacking)
2. 2 min. exercise before meal prep, snacks.
3. An avg of an hour extra movement a day:
4. No sugar, white flour:
5. Small bites and put fork down between bites:
6: Weight same or down:

Jezzie8 05-06-2013 05:28 AM

Good morning everyone! I bought the NutriBullet and I love it! A great way to get your fruit & veg in along with seeds. My plan is to substitute one meal a day for now with a NutriBlast :) I just need to figure out how to 'count' it...

I find I'm craving carbs less and although the sugar is still a struggle, I'm doing not too bad with that either - less than previously anyway! :o
Now I just need to get some exercise in - it seems so hard to find time and I was making time before so need to get tough on myself :mad:

Good luck to everyone with their goals this week.
Looks like the weather will be sunny & warm - about time!! :cool:

01gt4.6 05-06-2013 05:43 AM

Thanks for getting us started this week, Jenn.

dmartz 05-06-2013 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 98650)
Thanks for getting us started this week, Jenn.

Yeah, I second that. "Going Down?" sounds far better than "Loggin's a Motha"

Mern 05-06-2013 06:39 AM

I'm in again this week. Forgot to weigh this morning. I went off track at a birthday party last night but am back on track with no carb cravings.

Didn't have time to read the thread--hope to do that later today.

episode2011 05-06-2013 07:03 AM

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!):
  • At least 1500ml water per day:
  • Keep calories under 1600 per day:
  • Keep sodium under 1300 per day:
  • At least 10g fiber per day:
  • No red entries on this report:
  • Study every day:

Usually, I've been doing 7-day averages and that's been working for me. Given last week's numbers, however, 7-day averages would be horribly skewed. So, this week I'm going for true dailys in order to build a good foundation for reasonable 7-day averages. I'm also not going to push an immediate resumption of 2500ml water daily -- my goal is to ease back up to 2500 by week's end.

Carolynn, you're so right. Why is it that, for many of us, pounds are easy to get, but so hard to get rid of? It's just not fair!

Anyway, I'll echo what Jezzie said: Good luck to all of us this week!

carolynnq 05-06-2013 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by dmartz (Post 98651)
.... "Loggin's a Motha"

LOL. That would be a perfect title!

Mern - glad to see you here again!

Jezzie - Let us know how the NutriBullet goes. For me, I think part of the satisfaction of eating is chewing. Glad your carb cravings are under control. For me, it's the opposite. I rarely crave sugar, but sometimes crave carbs.

Robingen 05-06-2013 10:42 AM

Hi everyone. OK despite last week's goal I am way overscheduled this week. So goals need to be realistic given the time I have. I'm back to previous goals:

1. No take out
2. Make healthy lunches
3. Log every thing.
4. 1200-1400 calories daily
5. Walk 2x
6. Swim 1x

That's pretty well all I can manage this week.

jjrudd 05-06-2013 11:26 AM

1. Stay within carb limit yes
2. 4 servings of fruits and veggies 2 fruit, 3 veg
3. At least 6 glasses of water yes up to 5 so far
4. Exercise 30 min 4X no
6. Try not to get discouraged yes

A good start, hopefully I can keep it going. Will get my exercise tomorrow as I HAVE to do yardwork

Jenn

episode2011 05-06-2013 02:52 PM

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes
  • At least 1500ml water per day: 1500
  • Keep calories under 1600 per day: 1276 Bam!
  • Keep sodium under 1300 per day: 908
  • At least 10g fiber per day: 21 Booyah!
  • No red entries on this report: Monday
  • Study every day: yes

A strong start to the week, oh yeah. I'm pleased as punch! Now I just have to keep it up!

We can do this!

01gt4.6 05-07-2013 04:15 AM

only on 2 pages? C'mon, I know some of us are missing but y'all don't need to be so quiet.

jjrudd 05-07-2013 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 98672)
only on 2 pages? C'mon, I know some of us are missing but y'all don't need to be so quiet.

And where are YOUR goals :rolleyes:

Jenn

dmartz 05-07-2013 05:33 AM

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1069
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 108
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 5
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 57
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 36
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55
Typical Monday Fare: Whole grain cereal, salad w/ fresh lettuce, spinach, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower & leftover grilled chicken for lunch. Nuts before workout, after, turkey & a couple little red (leftover) potatoes. Oh, and an apple in there somewhere.

Bigger salad for lunch today, w/ avocado & a slice of bacon.

carolynnq 05-07-2013 08:00 AM

Jenn - I've been doing yard work as exercise 3 or 4 days a week - it's nice to get outside once in a while - and it's also nice to see results immediately afterward (in the yard - results in the body come too slow!).

Good job, epixi!

Donna - your salads sound good. I had one for lunch with a bit of leftover steak thrown in. The bacon & avocado sounds good. I've got bacon & bought a bag of avocados last night (but it will be a couple of days before they'll ripen). I'm already looking forward to it.

1. 3 meals + 2-3 snacks (no extra snacking) Y
2. 2 min. exercise before meal prep, snacks. Y
3. An avg of an hour extra movement a day: 45,
4. No sugar, white flour: N (4 saltines - went out and bought some whole wheat crackers last night)
5. Small bites and put fork down between bites: Y
6: Weight same or down: same

episode2011 05-07-2013 02:52 PM

You are rocking the goals, Donna! Your "Typical Monday Fare" sounds perfect. Well done!

Carolynn, yard work is HARD work! Works every muscle in your body and yet doesn't feel like "exercise". At least it doesn't for me. What are you planting? Have the tulips and daffodils come out where you are yet? I love that spring burst of color.

As for the rest of you folks, I know you're there! Don't worry, we'll keep the lights on for ya :).

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes
  • At least 1500ml water per day: 1500, 1500 (working the last bit in as I write this*)
  • Keep calories under 1600 per day: 1276, 1074
  • Keep sodium under 1300 per day: 908, 296
  • At least 10g fiber per day: 21, 14
  • No red entries on this report: Monday, Tuesday
  • Study every day: yes, yes

Who made the goal of "Try something I've never done before" last week? Well, whoever you are, thank you -- I took a note from you. I just got back from my first ever Taiko class! It was a blast and more of a workout than I expected. What I DO expect is to be majorly sore tomorrow, haha. I'm really looking forward to going again. Wish it was more than once a week, though.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far!

*PS that water is now gone, so 1500 is a legit number, earning me all blue entries for today. Whew!

episode2011 05-08-2013 12:38 AM

Well, I fully expected to be sore this morning, but I'm not! Not sure why but I'm not complaining. Thinking about heading to a Tai Chi class tonight -- something else I've never done.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Mern 05-08-2013 01:08 AM

Still trying, but not logging.

Kudos to all who are doing well and hugs to those who are struggling.

jjrudd 05-08-2013 01:31 AM

Good job on all the blue Epixi!
You must be doing something right Mern you lost weight.

I'll just do a quick update. Veggies/fruit only 3, didn't get the water in, would have been over on carbs a little bit. I did get my exercise in walking around the mall in the morning and cut the grass in the afternoon.

Jenn

dmartz 05-08-2013 01:34 AM

Tues

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1069, 1176
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 108, 273
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 5, 3
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 57, 45
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 36, 44
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55, 20
Salad, bakery Challah bread (too much cholesterol, buyt so good!) ice cream.

Epi, "Something I've never done before" was in memory of my Dad. I was talking to a friend who knew him well, and recalled this story; One year awhile back, my Mom told me that Dad was really depressed and the drugs and therapy weren't helping him. I asked to speak with him and told him he should do something he never did before. He said: "Like what?" Me: "Like something you always wanted to do but never did." He said: "I always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon." I said "You've never been to the GC?, We can do that!" So I call the Park concession reservation line, and they happened to have a cancellation for the lodge on the south rim for three days about a month later. They also had the following two days available on the North Rim. So in May we all flew into Vegas, and the next day drove to the Canyon. Spent five days there and two more in Zion Nat'l Park. It was great. And he was much better the day after we got off the phone.

But you don't have to go that big. The moral of the story is, if you're getting down, try to 'Do something you've never done before.' Maybe more than one thing. Even if you're not down, just every once in a while try to shake things up a bit.

- Donna

Robingen 05-08-2013 03:26 AM

I don't seem to be catching all the posts........re-reading some from Monday and it's all new to me. Either Fitday is screwed up or I am.

Jezzie, I love that you got a nutribullet. New health fad for fruits and vegs and it works!

Donna..thanks for sharing that story about your Dad :) That's so inspirational.

Epixi I love it that you are trying this new classes.....good for you.

Despite the busy week I am keeping to my food goals and even getting some exercise in.

I am however, struggling with the fudge. I have never made traditional choc fudge (since I was a kid) and I wanted to make some for a fundraiser which is tonight. (That's what they requested) No body else in my house can/will eat chocolate.......so it's a challenge. I have made 4 batches so far and the first 2 did not set. Now I have 2 more to check when I get home and can I really cut and wrap it without taste testing? I might bribe by oldest son to taste it for me. I LOVE choc fudge so this is very difficult.

dmartz 05-08-2013 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Robingen (Post 98704)
I am however, struggling with the fudge. I have never made traditional choc fudge (since I was a kid) and I wanted to make some for a fundraiser which is tonight. (That's what they requested) No body else in my house can/will eat chocolate.......so it's a challenge. I have made 4 batches so far and the first 2 did not set. Now I have 2 more to check when I get home and can I really cut and wrap it without taste testing? I might bribe by oldest son to taste it for me. I LOVE choc fudge so this is very difficult.

Robin: Thanks for the feedback. I've got a moral for your story too: Never volunteer to make something for an event that you've never made before. Been there. Done that. Too much stress!

I say go ahead and try a <little> piece.
- Donna

jjrudd 05-08-2013 11:08 AM

1. Stay within carb limit Mon and Wed yes, Tues a little over
2. 4 servings of fruits and veggies Mon 2 fruit, 3 veg Tues 3 Wed 4
3. At least 6 glasses of water Mon and Wed yes
4. Exercise 30 min 4X Mon and Wed no, Tues yes
6. Try not to get discouraged yes, yes, yes

Jenn

episode2011 05-08-2013 01:33 PM

Hey there, Mern! You said you're "still trying". I disagree. You've lost 3.5 pounds since May 1; you're not "trying" -- you're doing!!! :D Good job!

Jenn, do you do your mall walking with a formal mall walking group or do you go on your own? I've never tried the formal group, but I've done it on my own a few times. I like the fact that it's climate controlled and there are no bugs (I HATE bugs).

Thank you for sharing the story about your dad, Donna. I agree 100% with Robin -- it was very inspirational.

Robin, I hope things went well with the fudge. I've never made fudge and didn't know it needed to "set up". I hope these last batches finished up properly for you. And as far as a taste? I agree with Donna. Have a little one (just don't forget to account for it :)).

I hope Hope is ok. She's been quiet this week.

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes, yes
  • At least 1500ml water per day: 1500, 1500, 1500
  • Keep calories under 1600 per day: 1276, 1074, 1563
  • Keep sodium under 1300 per day: 908, 296, 915
  • At least 10g fiber per day: 21, 14, 23
  • No red entries on this report: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
  • Study every day: yes, yes, yes

Keepin' it blue, so I'm a happy camper.

But ooooooh am I gonna be sore tomorrow, I just know it! Tai chi is much harder than I thought. This was an all-levels class (I couldn't find a Beginner's Class in my area), so that may be part of it. First off, I didn't think it was going to make me sweat because the movements are so slow and deliberate. I hate being sweaty even more than I hate bugs and I got quite sweaty during class. Everyone did.

Secondly, I didn't realize I had so many muscles in my feet -- they are already talking to me. There were times during the class when my legs were seriously wobbly. Thigh muscles, calf muscles, ankle muscles were ALL yelling at me! I actually had to sit out a couple of times. I must say the instructor was wonderful, though. Very patient. Explained well. Demonstrated well. Corrected well. It was a small class so she was able to give lots of individual attention. The classmates were nice, too. Very friendly and relaxed. Overall, it was a quite enjoyable experience (even if I did get uncomfortably sweaty)... but I am dreading tomorrow. Will I even be able to get out of bed??? :eek:

Let's keep going strong, folks!

Robingen 05-08-2013 01:44 PM

Donna, you are so right about cooking something new, that's why I started this whole adventure Sunday, time for trial and error. In the end only 1/4 fudge batches turned out. Sigh. But I feel that I can do it now. I did have one piece (come on coax me) and I logged it. Fortunately the batch left the house tonight and it's over lol. Surprisingly got in time for weights at the gym today (yeah).

Epixi I had to idea tae chi was so hard! It looks so easy! Good luck rolling out of bed tomorrow :)

01gt4.6 05-08-2013 06:27 PM

well I made it to San Fran today. I took some pics earlier but wasn't too happy with them. The sky sucked and I had a setting wrong on my lens. So I went out tonight to try some night photography. It's much more difficult but I need to start practicing before I try on the Golden Gate Bridge.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...psaffca01a.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...psc1a60a8e.jpg

episode2011 05-09-2013 12:36 AM

Nice photos, Mike! The upward angle gives an extra measure of magnificence to the... church? Cathedral? I'm not sure which it is. I like that sunburst effect from the light in front of the first one. Have you considered cropping out the light on the right or would that unbalance the shot?

Are you a photographer by trade?

dmartz 05-09-2013 01:11 AM

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1069, 1176, 1687
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 108, 273, 338
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 5, 3, 4
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 57, 45, 89
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 36, 44, 46
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55, 20, 60

About to board a plane to. visit Mom.

- Donna

Robingen 05-09-2013 03:39 AM

Great photos Mike! Beautiful place.

Thurs today and some regulars are missing. Have we seen April since the prom? I don't think so.

And Hope, are you around? And Mern, are you becoming a parttimer?

Donna enjoy your trip.

Got to swim this am. Got up at 5:45 to do it but got 30 mins and didn't hurt my back so it's coming around.

Pouring rain today but that is great because there has been big problems with forest fires the past couple days. 3 schools closed today. Fires set by humans. :mad:

episode2011 05-09-2013 12:31 PM

Hey, there, Donna! Have a nice visit with your mom!

Wow, Robin, those fires must be terrible/awful if the schools had to close. I hope the rains help knock down the flames.

I'm happy to hear you got your swim in (and to hear it didn't hurt your back!)! Getting up at 5:45 to exercise a testament your dedication. Usually, the only way I see 5:45 is if I pull an all-nighter :D.

Surprisingly, I was not sore in the least today after 90 minutes of tai chi last night! Ok, maybe a teeny tiny little twinge in the right shoulder but nothing to complain about and certainly nothing like what I expected.

Tonight I sat in on a yoga class. I wasn't properly dressed, so I didn't participate, but it looked like something I *could* do. Well, at least work my way up to. It was a Beginner class and was small. The instructor was wonderful. Her voice was commanding, soothing and gentle all at the same time. There's a very good chance I'll be going back next week, provided I buy a mat beforehand. I saw how often their faces touched the mats -- my ick-factor senses flew off the chart :).

That, and I have to get some work-out clothes.

I know you teach yoga, Robin. Do you have any pointers for a noobie, total beginner? I have a few yoga DVDs. I bought them a few years ago but was scared I was doing things wrong, so I only tried them out once or twice. I think taking a class with an instructor will be much better. In the meantime, however, should I find/use those DVDs? Should I use them in between classes as well for reinforcement?

So many questions!

So, that's 3 classes in 3 days. And "get more active" wasn't even one of my goals!

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes, yes, yes
  • At least 1500ml water per day: 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500
  • Keep calories under 1600 per day: 1276, 1074, 1563, 1194
  • Keep sodium under 1300 per day: 908, 296, 915, 339
  • At least 10g fiber per day: 21, 14, 23, 16
  • No red entries on this report: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
  • Study every day: yes, yes, yes, yes

Come on, folks, it's almost Friday! I know you're out there! We need to get the post count up on this thread!

Robingen 05-09-2013 12:49 PM

Hi Epixi

I do have some pointers.

Yoga is not about performance...throw away any anxiety you have about "being able to do the moves". The postures are about function not form, and they can all be modified to approximate the function. For example, knees can be bent, chairs can be used, and blocks and bolsters. In my current yoga class ages range from mid 20's to mid 60's. Your instructor should be able to modify anything you need.

You should never ever hurt yourself doing yoga. Listen to your body and only go as far as you are comfortable (e.g., in a twist). Injuries happen in yoga when people feel competitive.

Of the dozens of health benefits of yoga most on them are more about the breathing than the postures.

Find styles of yoga that suit you (your body, your energy, your spirit). There are many kinds ranging from hot yoga to yin. We have a "yoga day" once a year when all the local studios open up classes by donations...there are around 50 classes all told. I usually attend 5-6 that day. It's a great chance to try out many styles.

Don't expect to burn lots of cals in yoga, that's why I do other stuff. But the increased body awareness and relaxation help a lot with emotional eating.

And, yes, use your own mat. I have attended so many classes where I have seen people not clean the studio mats just them away dirty (even hot yoga), yuck.

Robingen 05-09-2013 01:25 PM

Oh and the DVD's are fine, as long as you don't hurt yourself.

episode2011 05-09-2013 02:44 PM

Thanks, Robin! I really appreciate the tips!

My goal for yoga seems to be in line with what you're describing. I was/am looking for a new challenge, a way to stretch myself, figuratively and literally. From what I've read/seen of yoga (which, admittedly isn't an awful lot), it seemed yoga and tai chi would be ways to increase both flexibility and self-awareness, if that makes sense. A way to help find/maintain balance.

And just as you've said, the instructor gave at least one, sometimes up to three, alternatives for almost all the poses she had the class do. That was nice.

As far as burning a few extra calories, I think taiko will probably fill the bill there. But, even if it doesn't, that's ok. Calories isn't my goal. I just like challenging myself and these seem like fun, stimulating activities. Helping maintain the mind-body connection.

Of course, if the pounds start melting off for some reason, I'll not complain :D.

01gt4.6 05-10-2013 03:24 AM

Thanks Epi and Robin (and anyone else I may have missed). Epi, photography is just a hobby of mine. I'd like to take some courses and get serious with it. Not serious as in selling stuff, just get better.

They have Coit Tower lit up in blue.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...ps20b2c16e.jpg

dmartz 05-10-2013 07:02 AM

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1069, 1176, 1687, 1522
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 108, 273, 338, 239
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 5, 3, 4, 3
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 57, 45, 89, 73
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 36, 44, 46, 43
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55, 20, 60, 10
Mike: Very nice photo.

Robingen 05-10-2013 01:16 PM

Gonna get me some fiddleheads this weekend. They are all around right now. 154 calories per pound. Yum.

Jezzie8 05-10-2013 01:28 PM

Just checking in. I've been bad this week LOL up 2 this morning, damn
Need to get back in my routine yet and get with the program, not happy with myself!! Those 2 will be gone soon enough though and going to get back on the downward roll :)
Just reading all your posts gives me encouragment, that's what it's all about.
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Love the pics Mike.

episode2011 05-11-2013 01:27 AM

Good morning, everyone!

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
  • At least 1500ml water per day: 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500, 2000
  • Keep calories under 1600 per day: 1276, 1074, 1563, 1194, 2027 whoops!:eek:
  • Keep sodium under 1300 per day: 908, 296, 915, 339, 1722 WHOOPS! :eek:
  • At least 10g fiber per day: 21, 14, 23, 16, 4 hahahahahahaha pathetic! :p
  • No red entries on this report: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
  • Study every day: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Hehe yesterday was a nutritional disaster but am I upset? Nope, not in the least. You see, 'twas my birthday (yay! :p) and I thoroughly enjoyed every calorie and every mg of sodium. I banked calories and sodium during the week in anticipation of a Birthday Blowout, so I have no regrets. And you know what? It'll probably happen again tomorrow, Mother's Day, so I'll be banking today. Then, next week, it's back to the regular program -- no more holidays or birthdays (read: "distractions") on the horizon.

As a side note, I would have thought pancakes and birthday cake had more fiber in them. Who knew?

Off to check out a few more yoga studios today. Make it a Sensational Saturday, folks!