Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
7 Day Motivational Thread Starting May 6--Going Down? >

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting May 6--Going Down?

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread Starting May 6--Going Down?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

Great photos Mike! Beautiful place.

Thurs today and some regulars are missing. Have we seen April since the prom? I don't think so.

And Hope, are you around? And Mern, are you becoming a parttimer?

Donna enjoy your trip.

Got to swim this am. Got up at 5:45 to do it but got 30 mins and didn't hurt my back so it's coming around.

Pouring rain today but that is great because there has been big problems with forest fires the past couple days. 3 schools closed today. Fires set by humans.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Hey, there, Donna! Have a nice visit with your mom!

Wow, Robin, those fires must be terrible/awful if the schools had to close. I hope the rains help knock down the flames.

I'm happy to hear you got your swim in (and to hear it didn't hurt your back!)! Getting up at 5:45 to exercise a testament your dedication. Usually, the only way I see 5:45 is if I pull an all-nighter .

Surprisingly, I was not sore in the least today after 90 minutes of tai chi last night! Ok, maybe a teeny tiny little twinge in the right shoulder but nothing to complain about and certainly nothing like what I expected.

Tonight I sat in on a yoga class. I wasn't properly dressed, so I didn't participate, but it looked like something I *could* do. Well, at least work my way up to. It was a Beginner class and was small. The instructor was wonderful. Her voice was commanding, soothing and gentle all at the same time. There's a very good chance I'll be going back next week, provided I buy a mat beforehand. I saw how often their faces touched the mats -- my ick-factor senses flew off the chart .

That, and I have to get some work-out clothes.

I know you teach yoga, Robin. Do you have any pointers for a noobie, total beginner? I have a few yoga DVDs. I bought them a few years ago but was scared I was doing things wrong, so I only tried them out once or twice. I think taking a class with an instructor will be much better. In the meantime, however, should I find/use those DVDs? Should I use them in between classes as well for reinforcement?

So many questions!

So, that's 3 classes in 3 days. And "get more active" wasn't even one of my goals!

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes, yes, yes
  • At least 1500ml water per day: 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500
  • Keep calories under 1600 per day: 1276, 1074, 1563, 1194
  • Keep sodium under 1300 per day: 908, 296, 915, 339
  • At least 10g fiber per day: 21, 14, 23, 16
  • No red entries on this report: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
  • Study every day: yes, yes, yes, yes

Come on, folks, it's almost Friday! I know you're out there! We need to get the post count up on this thread!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Epixi

I do have some pointers.

Yoga is not about performance...throw away any anxiety you have about "being able to do the moves". The postures are about function not form, and they can all be modified to approximate the function. For example, knees can be bent, chairs can be used, and blocks and bolsters. In my current yoga class ages range from mid 20's to mid 60's. Your instructor should be able to modify anything you need.

You should never ever hurt yourself doing yoga. Listen to your body and only go as far as you are comfortable (e.g., in a twist). Injuries happen in yoga when people feel competitive.

Of the dozens of health benefits of yoga most on them are more about the breathing than the postures.

Find styles of yoga that suit you (your body, your energy, your spirit). There are many kinds ranging from hot yoga to yin. We have a "yoga day" once a year when all the local studios open up classes by donations...there are around 50 classes all told. I usually attend 5-6 that day. It's a great chance to try out many styles.

Don't expect to burn lots of cals in yoga, that's why I do other stuff. But the increased body awareness and relaxation help a lot with emotional eating.

And, yes, use your own mat. I have attended so many classes where I have seen people not clean the studio mats just them away dirty (even hot yoga), yuck.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM
FitDay Member

Oh and the DVD's are fine, as long as you don't hurt yourself.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks, Robin! I really appreciate the tips!

My goal for yoga seems to be in line with what you're describing. I was/am looking for a new challenge, a way to stretch myself, figuratively and literally. From what I've read/seen of yoga (which, admittedly isn't an awful lot), it seemed yoga and tai chi would be ways to increase both flexibility and self-awareness, if that makes sense. A way to help find/maintain balance.

And just as you've said, the instructor gave at least one, sometimes up to three, alternatives for almost all the poses she had the class do. That was nice.

As far as burning a few extra calories, I think taiko will probably fill the bill there. But, even if it doesn't, that's ok. Calories isn't my goal. I just like challenging myself and these seem like fun, stimulating activities. Helping maintain the mind-body connection.

Of course, if the pounds start melting off for some reason, I'll not complain .
Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Epi and Robin (and anyone else I may have missed). Epi, photography is just a hobby of mine. I'd like to take some courses and get serious with it. Not serious as in selling stuff, just get better.

They have Coit Tower lit up in blue.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

• Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 1069, 1176, 1687, 1522
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 108, 273, 338, 239
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 5, 3, 4, 3
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 57, 45, 89, 73
  • Sugar < 50 g / day: 36, 44, 46, 43
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55, 20, 60, 10
Mike: Very nice photo.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 PM
FitDay Member

Gonna get me some fiddleheads this weekend. They are all around right now. 154 calories per pound. Yum.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM
FitDay Member

Just checking in. I've been bad this week LOL up 2 this morning, damn
Need to get back in my routine yet and get with the program, not happy with myself!! Those 2 will be gone soon enough though and going to get back on the downward roll
Just reading all your posts gives me encouragment, that's what it's all about.
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Love the pics Mike.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning, everyone!

Goals for the Week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
  • At least 1500ml water per day: 1500, 1500, 1500, 1500, 2000
  • Keep calories under 1600 per day: 1276, 1074, 1563, 1194, 2027 whoops!
  • Keep sodium under 1300 per day: 908, 296, 915, 339, 1722 WHOOPS!
  • At least 10g fiber per day: 21, 14, 23, 16, 4 hahahahahahaha pathetic!
  • No red entries on this report: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
  • Study every day: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Hehe yesterday was a nutritional disaster but am I upset? Nope, not in the least. You see, 'twas my birthday (yay! ) and I thoroughly enjoyed every calorie and every mg of sodium. I banked calories and sodium during the week in anticipation of a Birthday Blowout, so I have no regrets. And you know what? It'll probably happen again tomorrow, Mother's Day, so I'll be banking today. Then, next week, it's back to the regular program -- no more holidays or birthdays (read: "distractions") on the horizon.

As a side note, I would have thought pancakes and birthday cake had more fiber in them. Who knew?

Off to check out a few more yoga studios today. Make it a Sensational Saturday, folks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.