Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
7 Day Motivational Thread starting April 22: We Can Do This! >

7 Day Motivational Thread starting April 22: We Can Do This!

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread starting April 22: We Can Do This!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

The small plate thing does work. There have been numerous studies that have confirmed it. People feel fuller eating the same amount of food off of a small plate versus a large plate.

A similar effect: People eat less when served from small containers. If you set someone down in front of a bowl that contains 10 1-oz bags of potato chips and tell them to eat as many as they’d like, they eat less than if given 1 10-oz bag of chips.

I saw a show once where they sat people down in front of a large bowl of soup and told them to eat until full. Half the people had normal bowls of soup, and they’d eat the soup down one or two inches and quit. The other half had bowls that were being constantly replenished (soup was being pumped up from beneath the tale into the blow as they ate), so the soup level went down at a miniscule rate. That group ate about twice as much soup. It’s interesting how we rely so much n external cues to help us gauge when we’re full.

1. Calories under 1300:
2. An hour extra movement a day:
3. No sugar, white flour:
4. Small bites and put fork down between bites.- getting better at stretching snacks and meals out
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM
FitDay Member

Goals for this week....
1. Lots of water
2. Exercise 2 times before work M: no,
3. Exercise 2 times after work
4. Take Chloe for 1 walk (30 mins)
5. Planned foods during work & snack
6. Walk 9 miles on lunches M: 3miles,

Life Goals...
1. Be honest (even the white lies)
2. Do something to the rest of the laundry daily
3. Wipe down kitchen cabinets

Got 3 miles in today on lunch. My boss lives at the top of the stretch of road that I like to walk. She said she can't believe that I walk to the top of there because it is so steep. It gets easier every day though. Till I get there and back it is 1-3/4 miles so I spend the rest of my time making 5 laps around the building to get to 3miles total and usually have 3-5 minutes left in my hour.

Originally Posted by episode2011
Slacker...

(just kidding- you did more in a day that I typically do in a week! )
LOL! Sunday is the day that hubby works and I don't so it is always cleaning dady. I haven't taken any time off to do spring cleaning this year and with construction still in progress it is kind of pointless so I have just been going at it hard every Sunday.

Originally Posted by canary52
April, I love your goals. I love the oneaobut lies.
I hoped nobody would think badly of me for needing to make that a goal. Sometimes it seems like I let them sneak in to avoid confrontation.

Originally Posted by Robingen
April, I already went to the store and bought the ingredients to make those chicken breasts. Sounds really yummy.
My greek yogurt happened to be vanilla so ours had a slightly sweet taste.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM
FitDay Member

epixi - “(nibbles and "tastes" count!)” LOL. Yep. I just logged 2 almonds. I’ve been trying to do that all along - I’m sure I forget to log a few though. I
find it very motivating sometimes. If I eat one chip and log in 14 calories, it’s not much in terms of overall calories, but it makes me see how just 9 more chips would be 140. Good for you for tracking your sodium. I’m going to start doing that at some point.

April - how fun doing the prom stuff with your son! I hope you entered all of your cleaning into your activity log. The chicken sounds delicious. But I’m all for white lies. A neighbor gave us some bran muffins. They were on the dry side, but I just thanked him and told him they were delicious and didn’t mention anything about them being dry. If someone asks how I like a new outfit they’re wearing and I think it makes them look heavy around the hips, I’m not going to say that. I’ll instead compliment them on the color of the outfit or something. I think it all depends on the situation, how well you know the person, and whether telling the truth will make a difference. For example, if I was shopping with a friend who tried on an outfit and asked how I liked it, I’d tell her I thought it made her look heavy around the hips because being honest at that point could have an impact.

Hope - Complain to us all you want. We want you to tell it like it is. I have a guided-imagery CD “A Meditation to Help Ease Pain” by Belleruth Naparstek. Check out the description on Amazon. Last year my 90-yr-old MIL was diagnosed with out of control ovarian cancer. She came to live with us for hospice care. I bought this CD for her and she liked listening to it and it seemed to help. If you’d like to try it, just PM me your address and I’d be happy to mail it to you. It's just sitting unused here.

Robin - walking, gym, yoga - you do it all!

Mike - this is going to be the week of the 70s for you.

1. Calories under 1300:
2. An hour extra movement a day:
3. No sugar, white flour:
4. Small bites and put fork down between bites.- getting better at stretching snacks and meals out
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Robingen
Mike- I really thought you were going to make the 170's last week, at least you know exactly where you are at and why (Fitday huh- nothing like tracking).
Yeah, I sabotaged myself last week. I actually haven't logged in a month. I was so deficient, I had no reason to log. I'm only eating apples today so I may start logging tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone, here I am from Sunday.

Calories - Under 1700 - Sunday Monday
Fruit & Veg - 3 or more - Sunday Monday
Exercise - 30 mins a day - Sunday Monday
Exercise - 10 sit-ups a day - Sunday Monday
Exercise - 12 minutes on the Ab Circle Pro - Sunday Monday
4 Glasses of Water - Sunday Monday
No Fizzy Pop - Sunday Monday

I am determined to look like my mind thinks I do already, maybe without the six pack

Hope everyone is sticking to their exercise, I have started to walk the dog, I have 4 so eventually I will be walking for 2 hours a day.

Amy
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 AM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1) plan food (except maybe Friday) - yes
2) stick to plan (except maybe Friday) -yes
3) 6 glasses of water -6
4) lower sugar (except maybe Friday unless I find a sf dessert) - yes
5) stretch -yes
6) move, even small amount -yes
7) practice Spanish -si
8) meditate - yes
9) don't give up -yes

PLan:
Ezkiel English muffin with lf swiss
ham
veg and black bean soup
small slice of sf bread
steak and broccoli stir fry
2 clementines
1/2 c blueberries
Vitamuffin

Monday, I did everything in small increments, then I went on errands for too long and could feel my back pain in my teeth. I went to a community meeting where I think my pain made me even angrier than I was over what was going on regarding dishonest practices of developers. I cancelled a visit with my friend/writing partner I planned for today because the long drive would cripple me. I am trying to listen to that little voice of reason I have and short of that, that loud cry of pain.

Who had the back pain recently? My heart- and back - go out out to you.

Wishing all well. I will stretch and take it all a little at a time. I resisted meds, even OTC ones, yesterday. I will use deep heat today. I am trying.

Last edited by canary52; 04-23-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Goals for this week....
1. Lots of water M: yes,
2. Exercise 2 times before work M: no, T: no,
3. Exercise 2 times after work M: no,
4. Take Chloe for 1 walk (30 mins) M: no,
5. Planned foods during work & snack M: work yes but snack no,
6. Walk 9 miles on lunches M: 3miles,

Life Goals...
1. Be honest (even the white lies) M: yes,
2. Do something to the rest of the laundry daily M: yes,
3. Wipe down kitchen cabinets M: nope,

I have to clarify my honesty goal. I am not talking about the lies like someone mentioned where you don't say someone's dress makes them look wide in the hips. I am talking about the little ones that don't matter but really do matter when they are discovered because they are to the one person in the world who you should never lie to. So no matter how trivial, always be honest.

Really wanted to work out last night but I was just too tired. Up late the night before and working all day plus walking three miles on lunch just wore me out. I did take laundry out of the dryer, put another load in the dryer and one more in the washer though. Folding is another story but my goal says do something with the laundry and I did.

Tori, Cassie & Mern ... Where are you girls???
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Monday

This seems to be the right recipe:
  • Workout > 150 min/wk: 55
  • Calories Avg. < 1400 /day: 937
  • Cholesterol < 200mg: 176
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: 3
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 38
Plus one:
  • Do something I've never done before:
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 AM
FitDay Member

Epixi: I'm with you in the 'log everything' camp! That is the number one thing that worked for me. & I mean everything. Well, except water and mustard (calories negligible). I try to log within two hours of eating, but sometimes I don't get to it that quick. I just estimate things, but by now I estimate pretty well. I've been within an ounce whenever I weigh things to test my assumptions. I never tended to use big bowls/plates, but I do know that the bowls I use hold one cup.

Mike: This is your week to drop into the 170s! There's no excuse for not logging those apples! If nothing else, you'll know what micro nutrients you're lacking, or if you're over on sodium (but not sugar ;-). I think you should do twenty extra pushups for every day in the past week that you didn't log. (Maybe not all at once.)

April, I know how worn out you can get when cleaning up from renovation work. You had a well deserved day off, & even got in some laundry.

Amy: Doing fine on the calories. Sometimes it's good to take a day or two off from exercise. Helps your muscles recover.

Speaking of recover: Hope, wishing you a quick recovery. Almost time to get the party started!

Robin, Weren't you having back issues about a month ago? Perhaps also Mern, & maybe ... Cassie?

Back to work everyone, and ... lets see those push-ups, Mike!

- Donna

Last edited by dmartz; 04-23-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

Goals for the week:
  • Log everything, no exceptions (nibbles and "tastes" count!): yes
  • At least 1500ml water per day: 2500
  • At least 15g fiber per day: 21
  • Maintain 7-day calorie rolling average under 1550: 1237
  • Maintain 7-day sodium rolling average under 1400mg: 815
  • No red entries on this report: Monday
  • Study every day: yes

An all Blue Monday is a good start for the week. I'm especially happy with the fiber number. I looked back over the past few months; my average daily fiber a few weeks ago was a measly 7. Can you believe it? It will probably take me a while to really beef up the fiber but I'm making progress. I want to do it with all food, too, as opposed to fiber tabs. That poses a tricky compromise -- more fiber could mean more carbs and more calories. I'll have to figure out how to make them all live happily together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.