FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7 Day motivational thread 3/11/13 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/9279-7-day-motivational-thread-3-11-13-a.html)

Robingen 03-12-2013 09:34 AM

Squeezed in another .6k today. 3.8 in total.

01gt4.6 03-12-2013 09:45 AM

Jezzie, how did you hurt your back?

Jezzie8 03-12-2013 12:04 PM

Hi Mike. I likely hurt my back by lifting and carrying a few things that were too heavy for me over the weekend - that's the only thing I can think of anyway ?? Sometimes it doesn't take much to injure yourself :-)

01gt4.6 03-12-2013 01:34 PM

yep, that call do it.

Two days strong! http://www.fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=01gt4.6
-1214 Calories today!

01gt4.6 03-12-2013 01:39 PM

I'll weigh myself in the morning and post up the results. Come on -3.5!

Starting weight =197.4

My goals for the next couple weeks:
1) Lose 7 pounds (PER WEEK)
2) 100+ ounces of water per day over a gallon, yes
3) post daily yes, yes
4) take all vitamins daily yes, yes
5) have fun and help raise a lot of money for Johnny on Thursday

quinnesec 03-12-2013 01:54 PM

Had to make an unexpected trip to pick up daughter for Spring Break today and my plan of healthful eating flew right out the window. Then, with no time to prepare supper tonight, we ended up taking her to her favorite restaurant... ugh. Looks like I'm in need of a fresh start tomorrow!

Congrats to all who are doing well!

nobe 03-12-2013 02:04 PM

Had kind of a rotten day at work...I thought to myself, I should see just how much walking I do in a workday! So I went in with my pedometer clipped on. Went outside to collect donations from the bin, bent over, knocked the pedometer off, and it broke when it hit the pavement. I haven't even used it once. So that was how my day started. I was grumpy all day, everything went wrong, but I ate well (and only what I brought with me, no treats!). Then I got home and hubby had picked up fish and chips for dinner. Sigh.

Don't know if I'm ready to spend another $20 on a new pedometer. There's a sports store closing out near my house, I might look there tomorrow. Maybe they have one for cheap.

<1600 calories - 1450, 2140
>64oz water - yes, yes
>20% protein - 22%, 21%
walk on days off - yes, worked
weights/calisthenics on days off - no, worked

jjrudd 03-12-2013 02:10 PM

carolynnq I'm doing the boxing and resistance bands. I do the exercises that come with the game (Wii Sports Active)
I put a hold on the book Slim for Life by Jillian Michaels on my e-reader. I'll let you know what I think.
Ended up having pulled pork sandwich and ate a bit of the bread. It came with caesar salad.

Jenn

carolynnq 03-12-2013 03:02 PM

nobe - sorry your pedometer broke - check ebay for one. They have some really reasonable ones. Who knows what the quality is like, but the cost is so low, it's not much of a risk.

Jenn - thanks for telling me what you're doing for your arms. Resistance bands sound like a good idea (equipment that doesn't take up much room!).

dar n 03-12-2013 05:25 PM

Late night for me , I will catch up on posts tomorrow.
Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Goals:
Walk 10k: M=1.2K, T=1.7k
Calories less than 1500: M=1241, T=1221
Calorie deficit of 5000: M=-797, T=-860
Squats twice: M=N, T=N

cjohnson728 03-12-2013 05:39 PM

I am here, did fine today...but had crazy work crunch tonight and had to turn around a report quicker than I ever have, I think!

Got it done and I will catch up with you all tomorrow evening :).

dmartz 03-13-2013 01:14 AM

Tues

• Workout > 120 min/wk: 15, 30,
  • Cholesterol < 250mg: 90, 123
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 43, 58
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: N, N
  • Calories < 1250 (M-Th): 900, 1055
  • Calories < 1800 (F, S, S):
On a roll so far this week. Lots of exercise, & low cals, but no veggies. Guess I should go to a salad bar for lunch today. I can be good there.

I thought about trying to keep up with Mike this week in the weight loss dept., but there is No Way I could lose 3.5% of my body weight in one week, (without some medical intervention). I'm just not that ambitious. But go for it guy! I'll shake the pom-poms!

Good luck to all you walkers also. Hope you have a great day!

Donna

* Does anyone know if losing that percent of body weight in a week is even healthy?

01gt4.6 03-13-2013 01:44 AM

After 2 days in, I'm down 5.2#'s. I weighed in at 192.2:D Maybe I'll break back in to the 180's by the time this week is up. "Going hard" as the chirrens now days say... I haven't been too hungry yet.

jjrudd 03-13-2013 03:39 AM

Just got back from appointment with dietician. They went over my food log and I need to eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast with cereal. I definetely need to up my fruit and veggie intake.
Nurse suggested making an appointment with family Dr. Probably a good idea since my other Dr retired. Go over my numbers and such.

Jenn

01gt4.6 03-13-2013 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by jjrudd (Post 96791)
Just got back from appointment with dietician. They went over my food log and I need to eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast with cereal. I definetely need to up my fruit and veggie intake.
Nurse suggested making an appointment with family Dr. Probably a good idea since my other Dr retired. Go over my numbers and such.

Jenn

what I use to like to do and put some fresh blueberries in my oatmeal. I'd cook it in the microwave until the blueberry would start to get soft and mushy. Blue colored oatmeal tastes good. :)

dmartz 03-13-2013 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 96789)
After 2 days in, I'm down 5.2#'s..

Must be a guy thing ;)

01gt4.6 03-13-2013 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by dmartz (Post 96796)
Must be a guy thing ;)

nah, I'm sure it's just water weight. I won't get really excited until I'm down 10 pounds and even then I'll still have a ways to go.

01gt4.6 03-13-2013 05:52 AM

I'm still way up from last year.
Sorry if this is big, I'm posting from my phone. http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...pse5b7bdc0.jpg

jjrudd 03-13-2013 06:23 AM

It's funny that when the nurse asked how I lost weight I said that it's just all the things finally coming together. I think having set goals has really helped me! I have learned more from this site than health professionals because we are living it. Plus I only go every 6 months so it's a long time in between.

Thanks to all for advice, dancing bananas and laughs
Jenn

adyndravo1 03-13-2013 09:09 AM

:o Hello all. I have been a bit under the weather this last week. I did get my water in the last 2 days and I exercised today. I borught all the pieces in the house to get started on my seed starting for this year. Today I am starting spinage today..um um. Like it fresh but not cooked.
I will try to post more today. Nyda

carolynnq 03-13-2013 12:20 PM

Donna - I couldn't find any clear answer on the percentage of body weight a week it's safe to lose. A couple of places said 1%, but they didn't cite any reference to back it up. Participants on The Biggest Loser often lose more than that, so the number must be higher than 1%.

Mike - congrats on your Day 2 loss!

Jenn - make sure you find a doctor like Mern's who understands what various diets can do for different health issues.

Nyda - hope you're feeling better and that all your spinach seeds sprout. I think I'm just going to plant some herbs. I'm lucky - my SIL is a super gardener and grows massive amounts of food, so he supplies us with fresh veggies all summer long.

Robingen 03-13-2013 01:32 PM

Well no walks and pretty lame on the cooking today. I couldn't even to begin to explain the way this day has gone. I work 2 jobs on Wednesday so food planning is normally a challenge but on top of that I have spent hours at the hospital (unexpectedly), and we have had a day for flooding. A section of my office building flooded, my basement flooded, the highway collapsed. Needless to say during the very brief time I have been home I was jerry rigging sumppumps in the basement.

It's not 10:30 pm and I just returned from the night class I teach. I have been logging today's food and I am at 1079 cals. So other than missing my walk it's ok. Right now my husband is at the computer room door telling me that the water is rising again in the basement so I guess I gotta go- good night.

carolynnq 03-13-2013 02:02 PM

Robin - OMG! What an awful day (what is that kids' book - something like "The No-Good, Terrible, Very Bad Day"?). I hope whatever necessitated the hospital visit has been successfully resolved. Hoping that tomorrow will be sunshine and roses for you - with time to walk!

01gt4.6 03-13-2013 02:31 PM

I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond to everyone. I've just been super busy. After the fundraiser tomorrow, it should die down for me.

My kitchen is closed. Even though I'm at my smallest deficit for this week, I'm still at -1175
Starting weight, Monday = 197.4, Tuesday 194.8, Wednesday 192.2, Thursday 190.8

1) Lose 7 pounds (PER WEEK) (-6.6 pounds so far)
2) 100+ ounces of water per day over a gallon, yes, yes
3) post daily yes, yes, yes
4) take all vitamins daily yes, yes, yes
5) have fun and help raise a lot of money for Johnny on Thursday

Oh and Donna, I'll have you know that not only did I update my sig as you requested, but I also took before pics on Monday and I've been taking scale pics every morning. Sadly, my before pics look similar to my 210# pics, not quite but close. My plan is to do this diet for 2 weeks (started Mar 11th) with a goal of 14 pounds. Then I plan on dropping another 6 pounds in the following 2 weeks. So my goal is 20 pounds in 1 month. I'll probably post my pics at the 2 week and 1 month mark. I would honest like to me 25-30 pounds by my birthday in May. How's that for FINALLY being accountable? :D

dar n 03-13-2013 03:10 PM

Goals:
Walk 10k: M=1.2K, T=1.7k, W=3.5k
Calories less than 1500: M=1241, T=1221, W=1279
Calorie deficit of 5000: M=-797, T=-860, W= -824
Squats twice: M=N, T=N, W=N

nobe 03-13-2013 04:00 PM

I borrowed hubby's pedometer today for my walk, but at the store got a new one for me (only $10 this time, not as much of an investment for clumsy me), but I didn't realize until I got it home that it hangs on a lanyard around your neck. Does anyone have experience with these? I set my stride and was walking around the house to test it and after about 50 steps it was showing up as closer to 10. I put it in my front pocket and that brought it up to about 25. In my back pocket it was almost accurate. But it just would not record anything hanging around my neck (and truth be told I don't want a big pink pedometer hanging around my neck anyway). Seems weird, though, that it's made to be hung but only works in my back pocket. Anyone know if maybe I'm just doing something wrong? Now, if I can just remember not to sit on it...

<1600 calories - 1450, 2140, 1327
>64oz water - yes, yes, yes
>20% protein - 22%, 21%, 26%
walk on days off - yes (3k+), worked, yes (3.3k)
weights/calisthenics on days off - no, worked, no

cjohnson728 03-13-2013 04:12 PM

Still here, another crazy busy day. But I did well food-wise. Unfortunately, being gone from 8 AM to 9 PM made a walk/run not possible. However, I was volunteering this evening, so I spent some time on the court. It wasn't much but better than nothing

Will catch up as soon as I can! Hope you all are doing well!

dmartz 03-14-2013 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 96814)
Oh and Donna, [...] How's that for FINALLY being accountable? :D

Hope I helped with some motivation.

Wed:
  • Workout > 120 min/wk: 15, 30, 60
  • Cholesterol < 250mg: 90, 123, 5
  • Protein > 50 g / day: 43, 58, 26
  • Vegetables > 3 / day: N, N, Y (Almost all veggies ...)
  • Calories < 1250 (M-Th): 900, 1055, 1041
Veggies, nuts, & calisthenics! Need more protein.

Don't want to be a braggart so I won't post my stats here. But... I've now held my weight loss for over six months, up or down two pounds. I feel really good about that, but I've got to make it a few more years for it to 'take.' I'm now working on my waistline and my cholesterol. Need to get the chol. checked soon.

01gt4.6 03-14-2013 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by dmartz (Post 96829)
Hope I helped with some motivation.

hell yeah

Weighed in at 190.8. I'm down 6.6 in 3 days. Gotta keep it coming off. I'm starting to see a little change in my gut. I only look 5 months pregnant now.

jjrudd 03-14-2013 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by carolynnq (Post 96810)
Jenn - make sure you find a doctor like Mern's who understands what various diets can do for different health issues.

Mern is lucky! Unfortunately all the people that I go to suggest meds. When I had time to process the visit yesterday I realized they didn't look over my food record that closely. She certainly didn't make any recommendations--except for eating more fruit.

Congrats Mike on the weight loss.

Jenn

carolynnq 03-14-2013 03:30 AM

Donna - go ahead and be a braggart! I find it motivating to see other people's weight losses and other successes. Congratulations on maintaining your weight loss for 6 mos! I'm already thinking ahead to when I reach my goal - about what I'll do differently - for example, now I'm weighing myself weekly; once I reach my goal, I'll weigh myself daily.

Darlene - I just last night noticed your weight loss in your sig - way to go!

nobe - I laughed about you sitting on your pink pedometer. I'm a klutz that way too. I bought a new back-up drive for my computer on Tues. Wed morning I tripped over the cord and broke it. I tripped over it trying to get to the window to put out some bird seed so the cat would have birds to watch. :(

Jezzie8 03-14-2013 07:23 AM

I agree with Carolyn, Donna - go ahead and brag! Good going Mike - hope you're eating enough though! I'm wonky on T3s right now. First trip to the doc today, will be off work til next week for sure. Also first day this week to go nuts on sugar. Grabbed a Tim's coffee and donut while I was out AND a burnt almond bar :(. Have to be real careful rest of the day. I haven't been over 1200 calories all week. Haven't weighed though but will once I'm up and about again!
Have a great day everyone.

01gt4.6 03-14-2013 08:38 AM

Donna, success can be contagious, brag away! I say we bring back the braggin' wagon.

Robingen 03-14-2013 09:52 AM

Hi everyone

My day has definitely been better than yesterday although the road home is closed (due to flooding) and so I still have to find an alternate route. So it's not over yet. Thanks for asking Carolynnq the situation at the hospital is resolved. It was only that I was informed that I needed to take a family member for a 20 minute procedure and there were a bunch of additional things that had to happen (be admitted, ex-rays, sedatives, post-procedural recovery). I had not idea what I was in for and it messed with an already overwhelming day. Last night's flood crisis in the basement ended up being a breaker. But I had to set the alarm to get up to check pumps in the night. So the whole thing has been a pretty significant weather disaster. The relevance is that 1) no I did not walk and 2) yes I got take out (a sub). Oh well what they say about good intentions.

So I see quite a number of accomplishments on here this week. Yes Donna, brag, it motivates the rest of us! And Mike you apparently got serious. So what about walking?

nobe 03-14-2013 11:09 AM

I give up. Broke my first pedometer, the pink one barely recorded anything when I was out walking today, and hubby said that his pedometer only recorded about half his distance when he went for a walk, even though it was working yesterday. $50 on pedometers that don't work is enough, I think. I'll go back to measuring my walks in time.

dmartz 03-14-2013 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 96844)
Donna, success can be contagious, brag away! I say we bring back the braggin' wagon.

Ok,I refused to weigh myself for many years, so I'm not sure where I 'started.' But, here's my brag:

I'm age 55, Height: 5' 2" or 5' 3" depending if I've been doing Pilates. I just weighed myself, even tho I usually never do that after seven a.m. I'm currently 116.2 nearly nec'ed. That's up a bit. I'm usually a solid 115. Current measurements: 38, 28, 37. I'm down to a size 6, but in the expensive stores, I'm a 4. Prolly a 2 if I went couture, which I've never been in my life. I wear 26 inches of calico hair, down. It's never been dyed. I have no tats or piercings of any kind. I have no problems, other than a touch of OCD. I've been happily 'attached' to a wonderful man for over 25 years, and totally blessed even tho I live in a place prone to tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, and drought.

Plus, I just received the $5 tee shirts I ordered from Target, and they included a freebie, some Supergirl shorts!

carolynnq 03-14-2013 01:21 PM

nobe - do you have a smartphone? There are pedometer apps that measure how far you've walked, steps taken, speed, etc.

robin - I don't think there's ever a quick trip to the hospital. I used to get frustrated taking my mother to the hospital. Every time they'd ask a bunch of questions and enter the data into the computer - or at least pretended to - because every time, we'd have to answer the same long list. Boy, when it rains, it pours - both figuratively and literally in your case. Hope things calm down for you.

Jezzie - it sound like your sugar spree might not put you too much over with your calories. I know one philosophy is that it's good to satisfy cravings by eating just a small amount of it. But I have some foods I just should never eat (at least until I develop more will power) because eating a bit always leads to eating more.

nobe 03-14-2013 02:47 PM

Carolynn, thanks for the advice! I didn't think about there being a pedometer app. I installed one and after some fiddling it seems relatively accurate - at least, when I'm walking around my house trying to replicate how I walk outside. Ifiddled with it so much that it says I walked .75k, haha. Add it to my total!

nobe 03-14-2013 03:44 PM

<1600 calories - 1450, 2140, 1327, 1493
>64oz water - yes, yes, yes, yes
>20% protein - 22%, 21%, 26%, 29% (!)
walk on days off - yes (3k+), worked, yes (3.3k), yes (pedometers were useless, guessing about 3k?)
weights/calisthenics on days off - no, worked, no, some

01gt4.6 03-14-2013 04:01 PM

My kitchen is closed. I'm at my largest deficit for this week...-1812:eek:
Starting weight, Monday = 197.4, Tuesday 194.8, Wednesday 192.2, Thursday 190.8, Friday 189.6

DONE1) Lose 7 pounds (PER WEEK) (-7.8 pounds so far)
2) 100+ ounces of water per day over a gallon, yes, yes, yes
3) post daily yes, yes, yes, yes
4) take all vitamins daily yes, yes, yes, yes
DONE 5) have fun and help raise a lot of money for Johnny on Thursday yes

I'm tired, had a long day. I'll chat tomorrow y'all