FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   7 Day Motivational Thread for 1/7/2013 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/8883-7-day-motivational-thread-1-7-2013-a.html)

bojibridge 01-06-2013 11:28 PM

7 Day Motivational Thread for 1/7/2013

Yay, I get to start the first thread in the new year! (Hey, it's the little things, you know?)

I'm up so early! Unfortunately I have class around 9 AM every day of the week this semester. I know to those of you who live in the real world, that's not early, but I'm use to setting my own schedule, and it's early to me! Blech.

The scale tells me my weight is still heading down, so that's good. Whenever I try to just exercise, or just eat well, I never see the consistent results that I do when I do both together. Seems obvious, doesn't it? A surprisingly hard pill to swallow...

Anywho, looking forward to another week of this stuff with you guys :)

(I guess I should post goals - later!)

Robingen 01-07-2013 12:56 AM

Hi Joanna

Welcome to the new term. Me too, I am starting bunch of stuff this week and so scheduling will be the key to both exercise and healthy eating.

I find that if I am not working out I also don't care what I eat. Versus working out regular and watching what I eat. Kinda black and white huh.

One of my goals is to bring my own lunch to work. Otherwise (well I am sure others have been there) fast foods are just too easy. So my noon hour plan is to eat a healthy lunch and work versus spend the hour in a drive through line getting something gross that I will eat in my car.

Robin

canary52 01-07-2013 02:24 AM

Goals:

1) stretch every day
2) plan food (seems to be working)
3) stay close to plan
4) drink 6 glasses of water
5) keep track of water
6) meditate (it really helps)
7) practice Spanish at least a half hour a day if not more
8) be professional
9) Do not JAD, explain I think is OK (justify, argue, defend)
10) Light exercise 3x min this week without doing anything to further upset my back or knees

Joanna, thanks for starting us off!!! I look forward to seeing your goals. 9 am IS early lol.

Robin, I try to bring lunch when I am not working at home. And planning has been good for me. I apologize if my plan posts have been boring but it helps and it's easy to do it here and have it to look at. And here comes another one...

canary52 01-07-2013 02:27 AM

egg whites, mushrooms, scallions and ham (seems to work)
turkey or ham sammie with lettuce
fish and veg
Snacks:
nuts
Vitamuffin
fruit

I am DETERMINED to lose these last 7 pounds!!!!! DETERMINED do ya hear me? DETERMINED!!!!

Mern 01-07-2013 02:43 AM

Joanna, thanks for starting the thread. Sorry 'bout your early schedule, but we know you are a super busy lady all day long after you wake up, so you are entitled to BLECHing. Kudos on your scale heading down after watching both diet AND exercise. That's key for me, too--I can't lose unless I do both. And yes, indeed, it IS a hard pill to swallow. Yup, post your goals later. :)

Robin, I have never stopped to take note of whether I eat decently when not working out, but now that I think of it, if I'm off the wagon foodwise I usually am NOT working out because I know it takes hours of exercise to work off a jelly doughnut. Kudos on taking your lunch to work!

OK, I have to confess that while I was super good foodwise during the day this weekend, at night I lost my willpower. I'm blaming that on the strawberry cheesecake DH made that I CHOSE to not resist. BUT what I COULD HAVE DONE since I didn't resist was to take the time to look up a recipe for and make sugar free no-bake cheesecake that's made with cream cheese and gelatin. Not as yummy as the real thing but close enough that I'd really enjoy it and could easily have stayed on track.

Freshly inspired by Joanna and Robin, I'm headed back to the YMCA today for a cardio class. Thanks, ladies! :)

Today's menu in small meals:
Flaxmeal muffin and a low carb protein shake
Black soybeans with ham
Dreamfields low digestible carb spaghetti with low carb spaghetti sauce
Nuked haddock and cole slaw made with ranch dressing
Zero cholesterol egg substitute omelet with mushrooms
Snacks: another protein shake, almonds, cucumber with a mashed black soybean spread of some sort

Mern 01-07-2013 02:48 AM

Hope, your posts are NOT boring! I love them and they help me a lot. Don't apologize! I have a big pile of rocks gathered for a certain someone but my suitcase is AWFULLY heavy. I'll meet you at the hotel in Slidell, Louisiana if he doesn't show up here today! ;)

Mern 01-07-2013 03:00 AM

This week's goals same as always because even though I'm not losing weight as fast as I'd like, except for the experimental calorie range, I know the rest of these goals are best for my health:

Calorie range: 1600-1800
Cholesterol limit average of 250mg
Sat fat limit average of 10% of total calories
Net carb limit (deducting fiber) average of 25g
Fiber minimum average of 25g
Protein minimum average of 120g
Exercise five days
Water 64 oz.

canary52 01-07-2013 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 93836)
Hope, your posts are NOT boring! I love them and they help me a lot. Don't apologize! I have a big pile of rocks gathered for a certain someone but my suitcase is AWFULLY heavy. I'll meet you at the hotel in Slidell, Louisiana if he doesn't show up here today! ;)

Mern, you're on (re rocks in Slidell)!!! I could use to get the ol' arm in shape.

Also there is a brand Eli's Cheesecake that makes a good sugar free one but it uses Equal. And I'm not sure if you can get it where you are.

BTW I substituted goat cheese for the ham in my egg white omelet. Goat cheese, scallions, mushrooms, egg whites. Very good. I find I like egg whites better than egg substitute but that's me.

Your menu looks so interesting!!!! I feel like mine is kinda the same all the time and unexciting but hey...if it works...

I love how you respond to everyone and how closely you read posts. You're good!! Now we just got to get what's his name back. Ready? Aim...

Mern 01-07-2013 03:20 AM

http://redtrouserdays.files.wordpres...ocks.jpg?w=590 Hope, is this yours or mine? To whomever it belongs, it'll help get an arm in shape. ;) Ooh, that goat cheese, scallion, mushroom omelet sounds good. I've been using half regular egg subsititute and half egg whites (also from a pourable carton) in my omelets to give them a lighter texture. A lot of times I stick with my "same old, same old" standby food, but when I start getting bored I aim to try a couple new foods, combos, or recipes per week. I don't always read the posts closely enough--sometimes I misread, so if ever you see I've done that, please point it out to me.

Mern 01-07-2013 03:28 AM

I haven't seen Eli's brand of anything around here, but I do use Equal or any other brand of aspartame. I use Splenda or any other brand of sucralose or maltodextrin and sucralose combo only in baking, if necessary for the proper texture because if I eat too much of it, it causes me to stall out or gain weight.

That reminds me, I accidentally made my flaxmuffins once and forgot to put in the Splenda. They came out more heavy and moist, but tasted fine. I may experiment with that that recipe to try to make the texture better without any sweetener besides what's already in the low carb whey protein powder.

Mern 01-07-2013 03:29 AM

OK--I gotta get off here! Cardio class at the Y starts in 15 minutes. Luckily it's only 2.4 miles down the street.

Will catch y'all later.

Robingen 01-07-2013 03:33 AM

Good morning Hope and Mern

Hope your posts are not boring. I am very interested in the menus you put up. Trainers around here charge a lot of money for "meal plans". Yours are awesome. And I like the recipe talk, Hope and Mern, keeps me motivated to stay away from the fast food.

My meal plans are pretty boring really but I am working on it.

I walked today, it was brisk but ok. I will go to the gym tonight while my son is at gymnastics. I have nothing else to do lol, in the hour I have to kill.

Everyday I get up around 6 am and do yoga. Yesterday I dug out my sunrise alarm clock so this morning I woke up to a fully lit room. It was great and don't bother trying to snooze.

Happy Monday everyone.

Robin

cjohnson728 01-07-2013 03:35 AM

Morning, all!

Thanks for getting us going, Joanna. I know, academia often offers the luxury of sleeping in, which I always felt was some small compensation for the all-nighters and late-nighters and pounding it out while the rest of the world relaxes. I hope it's not too painful for you and that the semester goes quickly.

Robin, good luck with the scheduling this week. I am the same way; when I work out, I don't want to "undo" my progress, but when I don't, somehow I take that as license to eat less carefully (MUCH less).

Hope, I also don't think your posts are boring. They help you, that's important. Plus they give me ideas and also a gentle reminder that planning is key and that it works! I hear your determination and I know you are on the road to success.

Mern, I see you've exchanged the whip for rocks, although I don't want to think about what it would cost to check that suitcase on a plane ;). I hope you get some answers as you work through experimenting with your calorie range. Just when you get one thing figured out, something else needs tweaking!

ToriD1012 01-07-2013 03:36 AM

I'm in. Will post goals later and try and give everyone a run down of what's been going on with life. Talk to y'all later!

Oh, and if we're throwing rocks at Mike, COUNT ME IN!

cjohnson728 01-07-2013 03:38 AM

Good habits goals!

1. Calories 1300 or fewer.
2. Exercise 5 days or more.
3. 64 oz. fluids.
4. Take all vitamins and supplements.
5. Sleep 7 hours per night, at least.
6. Eat clean.
7. Eat at least 4 fruits/veggies per day.
8. Drive with the boy.

jjrudd 01-07-2013 03:39 AM

Mern, congrats on the 4lbs weight loss! Ha Ha that picture is funny.

Goals
1. Log Mon-Fri
2. Stay away from sweets--squares, donuts (and Tim Horton's muffins count too)
3. Drink the darn water--6 glasses
4. 4 servings fruits and veggies
5. Eat within carb/protein limit 140/60
6. Exercise 5X--30 mins

Personal goals
clean spare room
vacuum my bedroom

Jenn

bojibridge 01-07-2013 03:46 AM

Tori - we missed you! (I say that as if I haven't been pretty in and out the last couple of months...)

Robin, I find my meals are usually pretty the same every day, too, but I'm also trying to work on it. Truthfully it doesn't bother me, but then I wonder if maybe there's some kind of subconscious thing going on where I get bored without even realizing it. Anyway, I've been trying to incorporate more stuff, like Morningstar patties and sweet potatoes. Also, I think it was Jenn who mentioned spaghetti squash the other day - it's now on my grocery list! I love that stuff.

I'm trying to get out of the habit of drinking wine. I got really attached to it the last couple of months, a glass or two with dinner... it's empty calories, even if it is relaxing. I'm trying to limit it to when I go out for a meal or something - it may be ridiculously more expensive than buying it at home, but that's kind of the point.

01gt4.6 01-07-2013 03:47 AM

No rock throwing. I'm here, just getting up. Late last night I started having back spasms so I took a muscle relaxer at 3am. That got me off to a late start. Which is good because I want it to be out my system before having to drive. I haven't been on the bike in a while, which could be why my back when out, so I'll be taking it today to work.

My goals will be simple this week, just to keep me in the game.

1) log everything (except for one cheat day)
2) 3 fruit/veggies per day
3) exercise 3 times
4) a lot of water
---------------
5) write two policies
6) lend a helping hand

jjrudd 01-07-2013 10:12 AM

Goals
1. Log Mon-Fri YES
2. Stay away from sweets--squares, donuts (and Tim Horton's muffins count too) yes
3. Drink the darn water--6 glasses hmm only 4 so far so no
4. 4 servings fruits and veggies yes
5. Eat within carb/protein limit 140/60 135/40
6. Exercise 5X--30 mins 20 min

Took down the tree today and up and down stairs putting boxes away (part of my exercise). Also walked around the mall this morning. Geez do you think they are hinting when most of the stores have active wear front and centre??

Jenn

molly221 01-07-2013 10:57 AM

I need to be more active here. 7 posts since jan 2011. I have logged my weight and meals in the last 2 years.

Goals:
Log meals every day.
Walk at least 20 minutes each day.
Get at least 8 hours of sleep each night

ToriD1012 01-07-2013 11:19 AM

I'M HERE, I'M HERE!! Wow, it seems like AAGGEESSS since I've been around. I haven't logged consistantly or did any kind of exercise in months. I was severely depressed because WHN wasn't home, and quite frankly I didn't care much about anything but getting by. Cut to October 15....HE'S HOME! FOR GOOD!!! Things have been amazing. It felt like I was missing a limb and it was returned when he came home. He found a job fairly quickly, which was great. Bad thing is, he was put on third shift. I would leave for work before he got home, so during the week, all we'd see each other was when I got home from work. And that time consisted of eating supper and then him laying down for a few hours of sleep before he left for work. Most of the time he'd ask me to lay down with him, and I'd fall asleep. I'd get good and asleep and he'd leave for work. I'd roll over and then sleep all night. It's one of the reasons I've been MIA for so long. I was sleeping the whole time!!! He was recently moved to second shift, and while we don't get to see each other any more during the week than we did when he was on 2nd, we do have our weekends together. The one bright side of second shift is he's home every night and here when I leave for work in the morning. So, yeah, that's what life has been like since October. It's been great. We're both extremely happy, and that's not something I'm accustomed to in a relationship.

I've gained roughly 10 lbs since he's been home. Partly because I haven't really cared what I was eating. And then there were the holidays. I guess 10 lbs isn't as bad as it could have been, but it's time to get back to doing what I know I need to be doing. I've decided that I'm not focused on the weight loss so much as I am just being healthier and more fit. So, if I lose more weight that's great. If I don't, but am more fit that's even better. I'm not going to restrict my calories as much as I was in the beginning. I know that I'll lose some weight just getting back into the swing of things...logging my food and exercising. I don't really have a set number I want to see on the scale though. With all that being said....my goals will be short and sweet this week. Just trying to get back into the daily grind

1--Log EVERYTHING!
2--Drink Water....lots and lots of water!
3--Hit the treadmill at least 3 times
4--Log in and post at least 5 times

That's it. I'm pretty sure I can do this!!!

Looking forward to catching up with y'all!

cjohnson728 01-07-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 93864)
I'M HERE, I'M HERE!!

:D:D:D

Welcome back! So glad all is well with you and WHN!

Welcome to the group, Molly. Looking forward to getting to know you.

canary52 01-07-2013 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 93839)
http://redtrouserdays.files.wordpres...ocks.jpg?w=590 Hope, is this yours or mine? To whomever it belongs, it'll help get an arm in shape. ;) Ooh, that goat cheese, scallion, mushroom omelet sounds good. I've been using half regular egg subsititute and half egg whites (also from a pourable carton) in my omelets to give them a lighter texture. A lot of times I stick with my "same old, same old" standby food, but when I start getting bored I aim to try a couple new foods, combos, or recipes per week. I don't always read the posts closely enough--sometimes I misread, so if ever you see I've done that, please point it out to me.

This picture is too funny and he's missing it. I usually can't eat the same foods all the time - high boredom factor. I "slipped" and ate my homemade chicken parm tonight and now my tummy hurts. Maybe some of thsose rocks are for me! Feel like I swallowed some!! Like Kronos and his children!!

canary52 01-07-2013 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 93840)
I haven't seen Eli's brand of anything around here, but I do use Equal or any other brand of aspartame. I use Splenda or any other brand of sucralose or maltodextrin and sucralose combo only in baking, if necessary for the proper texture because if I eat too much of it, it causes me to stall out or gain weight.

That reminds me, I accidentally made my flaxmuffins once and forgot to put in the Splenda. They came out more heavy and moist, but tasted fine. I may experiment with that that recipe to try to make the texture better without any sweetener besides what's already in the low carb whey protein powder.

Eli's might be a NY thing. I cannot do Splenda (tummy) and I think too much Equal is not good for my fibro. I usually stick to stevia - or the "pink sugar" (Sweet and Low.) I'll bet the muffins are fine with just the whey.

bojibridge 01-07-2013 01:10 PM

Pretty good day here. I was ravenous today, unfortunately, which makes it hard 'cause all you can think about is all the food you wish you could be eating. But, I've ended up around 1320 calories, so I did fine.

I'm watching the Biggest Loser, which I haven't done since like, season 2 or 3. It's pretty inspiring, despite not really being realistic.

canary52 01-07-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ToriD1012 (Post 93844)
I'm in. Will post goals later and try and give everyone a run down of what's been going on with life. Talk to y'all later!

Oh, and if we're throwing rocks at Mike, COUNT ME IN!

Holy cow, you're back!!! I was beginning to think Mike kidnapped you!!!

You're counted in by all means!!!

canary52 01-07-2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by bojibridge (Post 93872)
Pretty good day here. I was ravenous today, unfortunately, which makes it hard 'cause all you can think about is all the food you wish you could be eating. But, I've ended up around 1320 calories, so I did fine.

I'm watching the Biggest Loser, which I haven't done since like, season 2 or 3. It's pretty inspiring, despite not really being realistic.

I was hungry all day too. What's up with that? Betcha I ate more than 1320 cals tho.

lcriswell0421 01-07-2013 01:20 PM

Anybody mind if I come back and join the party? I was really struggling there for a while, then during the holidays I ate everything and binged and ate and ate some more. All bad stuff. And in the 2nd half of 2012 I paid the price and gained 25 lbs back. :( I started going to therapy again, and I'm getting myself in the right frame of mind, remembering my meds better and I'm getting refocused on my "live it". Since the 1st I have lost 3 lbs. :)

I enjoy reading everyone's menus. I get so bored with mine. Although I did come up with a most scrumptious lunch. 466 calories total...2.5 oz raw spinach, 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds, 2 Tbsp grated parmesan, 2 slices Natural choice ham chopped up, 2 hard boiled eggs diced up, and 3 Tbsp Ken's Creamy Caesar Lite. I know some people say that that many eggs are bad for you, but the protein really helps me hold over until dinner.

I've also been using the "3-2-1 Cake in a Mug" recipe for a sweet treat (just 110 calories).

In the first week of 2013 I have kept on track very well except for yesterday. I had a cheat day. But I did manage to still stay under my calories burned for the day by a few.

I bought myself a new pedometer and it came from Amazon today. I'm curious to find out how many steps I take in the normal course of my day.

Also, for those of you who were reading about my daughter Sara and her self esteem issues of being overweight, here's an update. I took her for her annual well check last week. She is in a higher percentile for her weight, BUT she is also in a higher percentile for her height. The dr. said that her BMI is in the good range! :) She just needs to be aware and stay active. It made her feel a lot better hearing that from the dr. rather than mom and dad who are "obligated" to tell her she's perfect. :D Now she feels a lot better about herself. yea!

Ok, my goals are going to be simple:
1. Take meds 2x day
2. Log everything
3. Plan meals day before so I have a plan ready to go when I wake up

canary52 01-07-2013 01:20 PM

Mike!!!! Welcome back!!! Sorry your back is out. Now I feel bad and can't even throw a pebble at ya.

Robin and Cassie thanks for the support on the meal plans tho I did kinda take a detour with the chicken parm tonight. That was tomorrow's plan. lol. I didn't eat THAT much of and the whole wheat pasta but man I was full.

Lisa welcome back!!! So glad to hear the good news about Sara!!! Good to get things moving in a good direction now. BTW I don't think eggs are bad. Sounds like you have some good menu ideas.

Tori, you and WHN sound like me and DH when we were first married: I used to say we were like ships that pass out in the night (instead of like ships that pass in the night...never mind.) You'll get back on track! Mern has rocks lol!!!

ToriD1012 01-07-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 93876)
Tori, you and WHN sound like me and DH when we were first married: I used to say we were like ships that pass out in the night (instead of like ships that pass in the night...never mind.) You'll get back on track! Mern has rocks lol!!!

During the week, yeah we don't really see each other. But I finagled my way into working Monday thru Friday so I could have the weekends off with WHN. So, yeah. Life is great, but weight loss hasn't been. I'll get there though.

lcriswell0421 01-07-2013 01:32 PM

what does WHN mean? :confused:

Robingen 01-07-2013 01:45 PM

I was hungry today too but I know why poor planning. All was good until supper, I was far from home, did not eat enough and then went to the gym hungry. And left the gym very hungry. And then picked up my son who wanted to go through the Tim Horton's drive through (he's eating 3000 cals per day to GAIN weight) and I thought oh well I will have a yogourt. Guess what no yogourt. I could have really blew it then, lots of bad choices at Tim's but I got a small decaf coffee and nursed it til I could get home and make some toast.

Learned my lesson about going to the gym hungry!! Total cals for the day 1300 whew! Close call.

Mike, hope your back is feeling better.

Robin

cjohnson728 01-07-2013 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by lcriswell0421 (Post 93878)
what does WHN mean? :confused:

Officially, What's His Name, but I kinda like Who's Hot Now, as Tori made a major step up to this guy after being with some jerk she originally thought was cute ;).

Glad to see you back, Lisa! And that's wonderful news about Sara. You sound like you are very well back on track yourself :).

Joanna, you did awesome for a "hungry" day!

Hope, did DD go back to college yet? I hope she has a good semester...

cjohnson728 01-07-2013 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Robingen (Post 93880)
I could have really blew it then, lots of bad choices at Tim's but I got a small decaf coffee and nursed it til I could get home and make some toast.

Today, Robin, you are my hero :D.

jjrudd 01-07-2013 01:51 PM

Robin, you are my hero too! I could never go to Tim Horton's hungry and not have anything!

Wow, it's only day 1 and we already have 4 pages on this thread--WOO HOO!

Robingen 01-07-2013 01:56 PM

Check out on Dr. Oz's website : Chris Powell's Miracle Parfait. It looks scrumptous.

Robingen 01-07-2013 01:58 PM

Thanks guys, just having someone to tell and getting a pat on the back makes all the difference in the world.:):):):)

Robingen 01-07-2013 02:03 PM

Chris Powell's Miracle Parfait | The Dr. Oz Show

Web address for the parfait!

lcriswell0421 01-07-2013 02:15 PM

Wow, Robin! I've never heard of Tim's, but from what I can gather here they must have some pretty good stuff there. You must have will of steel to wait until you got home!

kimbur96 01-07-2013 02:25 PM

OK kids here are this weeks goals:
1) Follow the half marathon training program without deviating.
2) Calories 1341
3) Drink 48 ounces of water daily
4) cross train at least 2 x week
5) Stop negative thoughts and replace them with positive (this will be challenging)