Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Hey fattie, your excuses are why you are fat!

Old 06-27-2018, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jonjac
So are there no genetic predispositions to be overweight and it is just habits then?
There may be genetic predispositions, but at the end of the day, eating habits can still be changed.

I realize this thread was started in 2010 but wanted to chime in and say thank you for an excellent discussion.
A friend of mine always accuses me of losing weight "easily". I told her I only lose weight because I string those clean-eating days together over the long-term. I don't just 'dabble' in clean eating. I told her honesty with self is probably the number one factor in weight loss success. Because everyone can find a healthy eating plan that works for them. You can tweak that plan, forgive yourself if you fall off the wagon, and improve your planning, but sticking to that plan over the long-term ... that requires serious honesty with self. My friend also talks about her thyroid ... then I find out she ate ice cream and cake on the weekend. So it's not really the thyroid, it's what we're putting in our mouth. Denial really bothers me a great deal. I don't care if it's booze, drugs, or food. I can tell a deny-er a mile away. Once at a wedding I asked these two older women how they stayed so skinny. They told me they eat very little sugar. End of story.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:08 PM
FitDay Member

I know that there will be some help out there. I thank God that I found this!
Old 08-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by morphasia
There may be genetic predispositions, but at the end of the day, eating habits can still be changed.

I realize this thread was started in 2010 but wanted to chime in and say thank you for an excellent discussion.
A friend of mine always accuses me of losing weight "easily". I told her I only lose weight because I string those clean-eating days together over the long-term. I don't just 'dabble' in clean eating. I told her honesty with self is probably the number one factor in weight loss success. Because everyone can find a healthy eating plan that works for them. You can tweak that plan, forgive yourself if you fall off the wagon, and improve your planning, but sticking to that plan over the long-term ... that requires serious honesty with self. My friend also talks about her thyroid ... then I find out she ate ice cream and cake on the weekend. So it's not really the thyroid, it's what we're putting in our mouth. Denial really bothers me a great deal. I don't care if it's booze, drugs, or food. I can tell a deny-er a mile away. Once at a wedding I asked these two older women how they stayed so skinny. They told me they eat very little sugar. End of story.
I have a true thyroid issue. I am on medication but it's not a magic pill. I really dislike it when people blame their weight issues on "thyroid conditions". Yes it sucks having a weight gain from it but once you are on regulating meds? No excuses. Live a healthy, active lifestyle or you will be overweight just like anyone else who consumes too many calories and chooses to not being active enough!

ETA: This thread never gets old. Mike nailed it...In your face honesty... Thanks Mike!
Old 08-28-2018, 12:17 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
This thread never gets old. Mike nailed it...In your face honesty... Thanks Mike!
yes its inspirational for sure. the entire thread makes real points.