Notices

7 Day Motivation 2/1 - 2/7

Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 PM
FitDay Member

Glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with the forums. I had a pretty good Monday and Tuesday. I'm at work now (yay third shift) and have logged everything that I brought to work with me.

I can't remember who asked, but that $1200 was just in food. Groceries and a few restaurants. No personal hygiene items, no paper goods, or cleaners. We get all of that at SAMs and it comes up "household" on the breakdown. So far so good. We've both done really well with the menu. I bought groceries yesterday and spent $100. That seems like it'll be perfect. We planned the menu before I shopped, so that helped. I'll take the current sales ad home so we can plan next week's before I shop again.

Anyway. Back to work.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:02 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning all This morning I pulled out the measuring tape and body fat scale to get a sense of my accomplishments for the past 2 weeks (I normally do this if I start feeling like I'm not making progress....in my opinion, it's good to have other ways of monitoring success that don't involve the scale number). In 12 days, I've lost 2.1 lbs. on the scale....but to my astonishment, 1 lost 2.2 lbs. of fat and gained .1 lb. of muscle!! This proves that by lifting heavy, even while in a caloric deficit, I can lose mostly fat and possibly maintain or even gain some muscle!! This is really exciting to me! I've lifted weights in the past, but never lifted as heavy as I am right now. On top of all that, I really enjoy the exercise that I've been doing! I promised myself that whatever changes I make this time around, I will only make changes that I feel I can do for the rest of my life....and so far, I've stuck to my conviction.

Weekly Goals and Accountability
64 oz. minimum water daily: M - y, T - y
max. 1500 calories per day: M - y, T - y
take vitamins daily: M - y, T - y
full body workout (W, F & Su): W - y
core workout (M, Th & Sa): M - y
cardio (M, Tu, W, Th & Sa): M - y, T - y, W - y
Old 02-03-2016, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

Tori - That's a good plan to plan your meals ahead and buy only the groceries needed. I need to do that more often!

Libby - Good job getting in some time on the treadmill. I'm sure that will keep the scale moving!! Just be sure to only add in the exercise...don't drop your calories lower than you have been eating in the past few months. Just by adding in the walking, that may be enough to get the scale moving...don't do both if you don't need to...right!

Lisa - I think taking a break from dieting can be helpful (smart friend )

Epixi - I too wasn't able to log in yesterday. Someday's, Fitday is very wonky for sure! I never said...congrats on the weight lost!! Very impressive and motivating!!

Have a great day all!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all. I had the same problem with the site that every one else did. Just before going to bed I decided to try logging on once more and it worked. Today will be the same as Monday and Tuesday with treadmill walking and calories under 1100. Water is still a problem because cold water in winter is not appealing. I have been drinking tea through out the day just to keep warm and hydrated. The scale is inching down slowly and I may have a pound loss by next Monday if I don't do something stupid on the week end. My knitting keeps me from snacking in the evening. Last night DH made buttered popcorn. The smell was enough to make me gain weight but I didn't have any.
I hope we all have a good week.

Last edited by libby135; 02-03-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:07 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie: That is, indeed, excellent news! You are so right; it's very helpful to have an alternate to the scale to measure progress. By the same token, 2 pounds in 12 days would be heaven for me! I'm generally lucky to do that in a month! I agree with you on making you can stick with for the long run. To paraphrase Mike from a few weeks ago, that is key. I'm glad you found heavy lifting!

------------------------

Sooooo let's talk salad. For me, it's Today's Rant :

I've been trying to incorporate more salad into my eating plan lately. But I gotta tell ya, salads require far more work than they give back in Happiness. All the washing, rinsing, drying, chopping/tearing. It takes a good half hour to prep, and perhaps 5-6 minutes to eat. Not a good return on time investment. It wouldn't be so bad if the payoff was oh so scrumptious (think cake, cookies, chili... yum!) but, come on. It's salad. At best, salad rates a 60-65 on my Food Happiness scale.

Salad is not cost-effective when preparing it for one. It's pretty much impossible to purchase ingredients for just one salad. For example, I really only need 3-4 lettuce leaves and a cup of spinach, but I'm forced to buy much more than that. So I'm either forced to eat salad every day for 4-5 days in a row, or toss a lot of it out. It wouldn't be so bad if I could make a big batch and freeze it but salad doesn't cooperate the way cookies and cake do.

I don't trust bagged salad. When they first starting appearing on store shelves (what was that, 25 years ago?) I thought they were a good idea and a possible solution to my salad problems. However, I noticed a few things. There always seem to be rotten/slimy pieces in them. The Romaine lettuce tends include mostly spines (the parts i normally toss out when preparing on my own). Most importantly, I don't trust that they've been properly washed. Not even the ones that claim to be "triple-washed".

I don't do salad bars anymore, either. I used to be a big salad bar aficionado, but over the years, the more I thought about them, the less appealing they became. I realized there's no way to know how many people have touched the utensils (and more importantly, what their hygiene practices are), whether the utensils have been put back with the handles touching the ingredients, how many people have sneezed or coughed over the bar...

((Side note: I don't do buffets anymore, either, which is a shame because I used to love Chinese buffet))

Pre-made salads cost an arm and a leg. $4-6 each. That's too much. And most of them include ingredients I don't particularly like (read: cheese, loads and loads of cheese). Have you ever tried to pick shredded cheese out of a salad? Mission impossible.

So, yeah, salad and I are on a "probably-should-have" basis. I don't eat it because I love it. I eat it because I "probably should". Chances are, I'll probably have one tonight. But it won't make me Happy .

Ok, Rant over . What are your thoughts on salad? Love it? Or "leaf" it (haha I made a salad joke)?
Old 02-03-2016, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Lisa: Taking a break can be really refreshing. Thinking about diet/nutrition all the time can be taxing and, in my opinion, can be counter-productive. Cut yourself some slack. You've earned it.

Tori: Good luck with the menu-planning!

Libby: I hear you about water. I can't drink cold water at all. It has to be room temperature. Like you, I've been incorporating more tea. Tea I can do all day long, but water, not so much. With regard to buttered popcorn, it's diabolical, isn't it? The smell (oh, so good!) goes throughout the house and lingers for hours. I'm sure it was tough to resist!

Debbie: Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old 02-03-2016, 05:52 AM
FitDay Member

Epixi - I too am a slow loser. I can lose 1 pound per week, but that's only if I keep the calories in check and exercise for approx. 60 minutes a day. If I don't exercise, I won't lose a single pound! It's all about the exercise for me...good thing I like it As for salads....looooove them! I make 4 large Greek salads on Sundays and eat them throughout the week. It's my go to lunch if I'm not eating a homemade soup/stew. I do agree though, buying veggies for one is difficult. I'm the only person in my home who eats veggies, so I have to be strategic about what I buy or some of it will go to waste. Living in Canada, veggies are really expensive all year round, but especially in the winter months. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy veggies and the throw them away so I make sure to incorporate them into at least 2 meals per day and if I snack during the work day, it always includes veggies.

Libby - I looooooove popcorn and have it at least 5 times a week....no joke!! I make air popped popcorn and doctor it up with a little spray of olive oil (so the toppings will stick) and then sprinkle on parmesan cheese, onion powder, salt and pepper. I feels like an indulgence for a mere 150 calories for a big bowl, keeps me on track and not feeling deprived.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

Crazy busy day, but I just wanted to check in quickly. Everything is going fine and the storm is over. Now, it's all about the clean up. Hope it's one of the last big ones of the year!

Personal Accountability Goal Sheet, Week 4

1. Eat clean; eliminate the 5 "bad foods". Y, Y
2. Limit diet Coke to one glass per day; ideally zero. 0, 1
3. Drink 1 glass of tart cherry juice per day. Y, Y
4. Drink one cup of antioxidant tea per day. Y, 2
5. Take all vitamins and supplements. Y, Y
6. 45 minutes of core building per day. Y, Y
7. Walk 4 times this week; minimum of 45 minutes each day. Y, Y
8. Stay within calorie limits. Y, 35 calories over
9. Log everything. Y, Y
10. Continue to very gradually add yoga and flexibility exercises to increase range of motion. (Spine) Y, Y
Old 02-03-2016, 09:38 AM
FitDay Member

I had another good day today.

Drink more liquids eg. water, tea, and limit juice to one glass: M-Y T-Y W-Y
Calorie limit 800 - 1100: M-Y T-Y W-Y
Treadmill walking 20 or more minutes daily: M-Y T-Y W-Y
Lose one pound or more each week:

I got bored on the treadmill so I increased the speed and walked fast for 21 minutes. By spring I should be able to walk 5K.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 AM
FitDay Member

I'm getting my fat ass off the sofa and bed today and walking around the block with the dog. It will be a small victory for me.

Having a crock pot dinner tonight called Sticky Hawaiian Chicken. It's got A LOT of sodium, so I'm expecting the scale to reflect it, but it's really not an unhealthy dinner. The sauce has: soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce, crushed pineapple, apricot jam, red pepper flakes and garlic. I'll sprinkle on some sesame seeds and serve it over rice. I should have bought broccoli, but sadly I didn't so no veggies tonight.

Speaking of grocery shopping, for a family of 5 my budget is $180/week (including toiletries, kitchen supplies, etc). We have chicken 2-3 nights, maybe beef or pork one of those instead, and then some less expensive nearly vegetarian dinners to keep the budget lower the rest of the week. I make a weekly dinner menu plan, with all the ingredients I need and then on the other half of the paper write down all the other stuff we need for the week, including a few snacks. It really does help to pre-plan the dinners for the week. Then each night, depending on how much time I have, I pick one of the dinners off the list that fits in to our schedule. I put the menu on the refrigerator for reference, or I will forget what I bought stuff for. lol

Epi, I'm with Debbie and love salads. I have them for lunch sometimes and I love making different kinds for dinners. They do take a lot of prep, but are there ingredients you like in yours that you can prep once and put them in plastic bags or containers for a quick go-to another day? Unlike you, I'm all for prepackaged. I like baby spinach, and after I open the bag I put the rest in a large ziploc and it keeps for the rest of the week. What kinds of things do you like in your salads?

Debbie, I like your popcorn idea. We don't have an air popper though. I'll have to look into one for the future. That's such excellent news about your fat loss and muscle gain! You're really rockin on the exercise!!!

I hope everyone is doing well, feeling good, motivated, etc. Onward and downward!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.