FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivation & Support 10/19-10/25 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/12908-motivation-support-10-19-10-25-a.html)

AZLisaLou 10-18-2015 07:36 PM

Motivation & Support 10/19-10/25

12:30 a.m. my time, so I can say Happy Monday! Is everyone ready for another week? A few of us tripped up a little bit here and there, but imo that's to be expected. We are not perfect. Strive to be the best you can be each day, and you will find your success. I thought this was appropriate:

It's not about being the best.
It's about being better than you were yesterday.

and another one for your Monday morning:

Every morning is a chance at a new day. (Marjorie Hinckley)

Let's keep the motivation and support at a high level as it's been. I love that it's been that way!

AZLisaLou 10-18-2015 07:50 PM

I exercised last night again. I got out my yoga mat, and got my chair ready in case I made it to the lunges section (I use it for stability). Well, I didn't make it to the lunges, but I did go one section longer than I did the other day. I made it 1/4 of the way through the workout. I know that's not hardly anything in the grand scheme of things, but damn it, I accomplished it and it was good for me. I'm very fat, stiff and out of shape. The airplanes (you stand with your arms straight out and then bend from one side to the other) really kinda hurt my sides, but I kept trying to go as far as I could without it hurting too badly. The plies are tough too. And so is the arm work. Heck...the whole thing is hard! lol

I took my measurements today. I recommend that everyone take their measurements once every month or two. The scale might not be as nice to us as we'd like or expect, and measurements are proof of your progress.

My goals for this week:

1. exercise 4 times and make it 1/2 way through the 1st Slim in 6 workout.
2. continue drinking water
3. continue drinking less and less soda (I'm doing very well with this, btw)

My challenge goal has me losing 2 lbs every week until January 4th. In addition, my long term goal of getting down to 150 lbs by 12/31/2016 has me losing 1.8 lbs every week. These sound like very lofty goals, and they are. But I've got to push myself. I can't be complacent and just go with whatever happens. I need this. I've got to work hard for it. And I think the only way to make this all happen is to continue to increase my exercise and do it on a regular basis. One week I might not lose any (like Thanksgiving week or Christmas week), but other weeks if I work super hard I may lose 4 to make up for it.

I'm feeling very motivated, and you all are a big part of the reason for my attitude turn around. I like feeling this way, and I want it to keep going (and going and going...the energizer bunny).

I hope everyone has a great week in your journey, home, work, school, etc.

01gt4.6 10-19-2015 01:55 AM

Just checking in as I said I would. I missed my goal by a long shot. I'm at 210.2.
I'll give myself to next Monday to get down to 208.0

canary52 10-19-2015 03:04 AM

I like the quote for today. I did trip up. Yesterday was actually the beginning of clean eating again. I went to Chili's and had the fajitas minus the wraps and the dairy, I went to the movies and only had water. So actually if I do as well as yesterday, I'm OK.

Goals:
Clean diet: no dairy, no sugar, no gluten at least until I get my health under control
Be aware of my water.
Move.

rainbow24 10-19-2015 05:02 AM

I'll get my measurements on Wednesday morning just because I'm too busy right now to find a tape measure.

I voted this morning. Not wanting to get into political issues, suffice it to say that Canada is between a rock and a hard place. Enough said.

I am waiting for the call to come in to work this morning. From here on in it will be 6 days a week until I have to go look after my mom again. So, with that said, here is the plan:

Today - drive to work, drive home for lunch break, walk back after lunch, and walk home after work.

Tuesday - walk to work in the morning, walk back for lunch break, drive back for afternoon.

Wednesday - Walk to work with a lunch, walk home after work

Thursday - Walk to work with a lunch, walk home after work

Friday and Saturday - depends on whether my van is first or second in the driveway.

I will worry about my menu once I get into the groove of timing. It is a 15-20 walk to the farm. Besides working there, I still have to do all the home stuff too, like cooking, dishes, laundry, shopping, etc. Cooking might have to suffer a bit.

lildebbieg 10-19-2015 11:17 AM

Hi all! I'm in for another week....although honestly I'm struggling today with a low mood. Another night of insomnia had me tired all day. Oh how I wish I could have stayed in bed this morning! 😴 If only I would win the lottery so I wouldn't have to work anymore! One can wish...right :rolleyes: the cold weather is here so I dug out my warmer jackets....only to find out I can no longer do them up! BUT....I know we're keeping things positive, so I'm not here to whine or cry (maybe a little whimpering 😩 ) I will own it! I've been straying for so long and this is the results! Onward and upward troops! Let's gut 'ear dun! :cool:

Lisa - you're doing so well staying on track! I love the quote today! Thank you for that! I'm going to do my best to remind myself everyday to aim higher than the day before!

Mike - I'm glad you checked in and stayed accountable to yourself. That's half the battle! Keep at it! You'll see 208 soon!

Hope - sorry to hear you're not feeling well! I can sympathize! My Crohns has been flaring up....not fun. It's been a long while since I've been this bad off. Brighter days ahead right!

Annette - I have to say I felt confident with my vote tonight, however, I do agree with the 'rock and a hard place' comment. It's going to be a really tight race! Guess we'll know soon enough which party got the votes today!

Have a good evening all :)

canary52 10-19-2015 02:38 PM

Debbie so sorry to hear. That is a terrible condition. I hope you feel better really quickly.

libby135 10-20-2015 12:57 AM

Hi all. I was retaining water yesterday and my weight is down this morning so I adjusted my Monday weigh in. If I can stay away from salty foods my Friday weigh in should be better. My right foot and hip are giving me pain so I am not doing much walking. We drove to vote yesterday but the plan was to walk up and back. I am doing a minimum of work around the house and resting in between. The weather has turned cold and windy and we had snow on the ground on Sunday morning. I don't like winter and just want to hibernate.
Ha maybe if I slept for 4 months I would wake up skinny.

lildebbieg 10-20-2015 01:09 AM

A little morning motivation and perspective!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CC0IwOsWIAE8TLG.png

lildebbieg 10-20-2015 01:31 AM

Good morning all! I had Lisa's motivational quote on my mind as I went to sleep last night...

It's not about being the best.
It's about being better than you were yesterday.

...and promised myself that I would wake up today and be better than I was yesterday. I got up this morning a little earlier than usual, weighed in and did 20minutes on the elliptical. I miss morning workouts because they used to leave me feeling like I had accomplished something for myself before all my other responsibilities took over. I've spent too much time beating myself up and forgetting that I have a responsibility to myself too!! I'm the only person who can take care of my body and mind. I haven't been getting up regularly to exercise because I sleep terribly most nights...but I'm sleeping terribly partly because I'm not exercising regularly. It's a vicious cycle...one that I'm determined to break. The only times in my life when I've been consistent with exercise has been when I do it first thing in the morning. Also, I've come to realize that staying off the scale hasn't been a good strategy. No more burying my head in the sand and hoping for the best. I got on the scale this morning and was up 1.6 lbs. from my highest weight so I now have a new highest weight. That's okay...today is where I start....each day is a new day, so let's see where today takes me.

Libby - I was going to walk to vote yesterday too, but my stomach was soooo off that I was afraid to be too far from home. What a surprise this morning!! Not only a new party, but a majority government! I didn't see that coming...I thought for sure it would be a minority government. Interesting times ;) I'll be joining you on the Friday weigh in again now that I've pulled my head out of the sand once again! LOL!

Hope - I'm one of the lucky ones. I know others with Crohn's that are so much worse off than me! I really find regular exercise helps me manage without medical intervention. I think it helps to manage stress as well as aid digestion....two things that are imperative for me! How are you feeling today? I guess dairy, sugar and gluten all affect your fibro symptoms?

Lisa - How is the Slim in Six going? I know it's so tough to get moving after we've not exercised regularly for a long time, but it will get easier!

Have a great day all!

lildebbieg 10-20-2015 01:52 AM

I forgot to add my weekly goals to my last post. This week, my goals are to track food daily, drink 64 oz. water daily and move every single day! For now, I'm not going to be too structured with my exercise choices, but I will do some form of exercise daily not matter what....no excuses! ;)

AZLisaLou 10-20-2015 03:36 AM

good morning, everyone. It's good to see everyone here.

Hope, I like your goals. Simple, yet they will be effective.

Annette, welcome back.

Libby, I wish I could wake up skinny after a long sleep!

Mike, good to see you!

Debbie, Si6 is going well. I know a lot of people like to change things up daily, but this suits me so much better. I know what to expect and I know what's coming. I didn't exercise last night. :( I plan on getting to it tonight though. So glad to see your can-do attitude taking charge. I like the head in the sand pic. That's me quite a lot of the time, too. I just recently pulled my head out and I'm finally making progress. Get back to exercising regularly and you will too.

I weighed in too early yesterday morning. I showed a moderate loss that I was happy with; however, later in the afternoon I had a big drop (I always way less in the afternoon) by a lot. I didn't update my weigh in, though. I'm looking at this as a good head start to Friday's weigh in and maybe I'll see a big drop for next monday's weigh in.

I am soooo proud of myself. I have not been raiding the pantry or fridge lately. I've been sticking to my plan and it feels good to be succeeding. Yesterday I hit the sack early and didn't have my night time atkins so I came in under my calories for the day. woot! woot!

canary52 10-20-2015 01:15 PM

Debbie, I am glad to hear your Chrohns is manageable. Yes I am very food sensitive and my fibro flares are definitely affected by how I eat. Bad eating day on Monday. Sadly sometimes when I feel crummy I indulge in bad eating habits.

rainbow24 10-21-2015 03:15 AM

Thanks, Lisa. My participation will be spotty until my mom's cancer treatments are over. Most of it depends on internet availability. In some places I don't even have cell reception.

I haven't managed to walk to work at all. We haven't gotten into a comfortable rhythm yet. It isn't all bad though because "work" involves a lot of upper body strength. Driving tractor without power steering. Lifting heavy items. Yesterday my arms were so sore that I had to rest between loads.

Six days a week till done. Or until I leave for my mother's.

We have political unrest in our house. Apparently my husband and I cancelled out each other's vote. I won't say how we voted because I don't actually want a political discussion here. This is my safe place where all we worry about is healthy stuff.

linda987 10-21-2015 04:56 AM

Thanks for the invite!

Thank you for the invite to join you. I will be checking in on Monday's hopefully with a weight loss. on Monday the 19th my weight was 169. (the highest I have ever been.) I really want to get to 145 this year. I want to take it slow as I don't ever want to be this weight again. this will be a life time change.

lildebbieg 10-21-2015 06:18 AM

Hi all! I didn't manage a workout before work this morning, so I'm planning to walk for about 50 minutes during the hour that my daughter is in art class this evening. I can just park the car in parking lot and put on some good tunes and walk ;) Funny, I never considered walking to be formal exercise in the past. If I wasn't working hard, breathing heavy and sweating like crazy it just didn't rank in my books. Fast forward to today after having a few injuries and gaining weight, a 50 minute walk is a great accomplishment!

Linda - Welcome! Glad you're joining us here and on the challenge!

Hope - I do the same thing! When not feeling good, I often crave the foods I really shouldn't be consuming! Maybe it's just our way of trying to comfort ourselves? Hope you're having a good fibro day!

Lisa - That's awesome that you're feeling proud and having a taste of success!! Keep it up girl!

Hi Libby, Mike and Annette...and anyone else I may have missed!

Have a great day all!

AZLisaLou 10-21-2015 08:23 AM

Linda, Glad you decided to join us here! I look forward to getting to know you.

Debbie, Walks are very good exercise! If you feel you're not working enough, just go faster, right?

I'm staying on track still. I'm so excited to see the process is working and that the scale is handsomely rewarding me! I'm almost to a new decade! I slipped a little yesterday in the sense that I decided to have McD's for dinner; however, I fit it into my calories for the day. Not the best day nutritionally, but overall I came in under my calories! woot woot!

I joined a women's plus size support group specifically for the company that does my Slim in 6 video by a particular coach who specializes in supporting and coaching plus size girls. I'm not going to abandon here...this is home. But I'm really anxious to see how this other group works and how they might be able to help me. Having said that I feel like I'm cheating on FitDay. I can do both, right? There's no harm in getting as much motivation and support as you can.

nikkifanatic 10-21-2015 10:58 AM

Hi Everyone!

I've been thinking about you all. Sorry I haven't checked in. Been busy the past couple of weeks. I went to the doctor finally ( I haven't been to one in ages) and she was awesome. I have been putting this off because of my weight. I thought even though I told her that I lost a lot of weight and am working at losing weight that she'd still read me the riot act for being so overweight but she didn't. She was very supportive of my efforts and achievements so far and encouraged me to keep going. I left there feeling very motivated. I love my new doctor.

The bad news is I had X-rays of both knees and it showed severe Degenerative Joint Disease and deterioration of both knees. I have to make an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor. Can't wait to see the looks I get when I walk in that office with all of those fit broken down athletes.

Lisa.... it sounds like you are having a great week. I'm so proud of you for your exercise. Keep it up.

Debbie... a 50 minute walk is great. Walking is such great exercise. And it's an activity that strengthens you functionally.

Annette.... be sure to take care of yourself. Caring for a loved one can put a lot of stress and pressure on the caretaker. I took care of my mom after she was diagnosed with lung cancer and I was never more stressed out in my life. In fact, that is when I started putting my weight back on. I'll keep you and your mom in my prayers.

I weigh in on Mondays.... last time I checked in I believe I was 311.
I didn't lose anything the week before last.
But this past week I lost 2 more so I'm down to 309.
My goal is to be about the 285-290 mark by New Years 2016.

AZLisaLou 10-21-2015 04:51 PM

Hey all! I wanted to pop in and tell everyone to check out the recipe I tried on my family tonight. Here's the link in the food section for Salmon Chowder. My family loooooooooooooved it and it was less than 400 calories for a good sized bowl! I don't eat fish lol, so I can't tell you first hand, but by the reactions of the 5 other members in my family, it was a real winner.

Nikki: good to see you. so sorry about the report on your knees, but also glad that you are getting it addressed. Isn't it great to have a doctor who actually listens and doesn't look down their nose at you?!

libby135 10-22-2015 01:15 AM

Hi all. I feel like I am spinning my wheels in place. One day my weight is up and the next day it's down but I am not making any progress despite my best efforts. I need a hand to hold or a new strategy to get the scale moving in the right direction.

canary52 10-22-2015 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by libby135 (Post 118306)
Hi all. I feel like I am spinning my wheels in place. One day my weight is up and the next day it's down but I am not making any progress despite my best efforts. I need a hand to hold or a new strategy to get the scale moving in the right direction.

Hi Libby it's good to see you here. I feel similarly but I am not making my best efforts. For me, it's stress, health, anger ( often at myself). What do you think is impeding you?

AZLisaLou 10-22-2015 03:15 AM

Hi, Libby. I'm here to support you too. I've got 2 hands to hold and a shoulder to cry on if you need to. :o Like Hope asked, what do you think is impeding you? Where is your struggle? We can help you work through this!

I'm off and running to what I expect to be another great day. I came in under calories yesterday, which I was happy about. If I can stick to my plan I'll come in under today too.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

nikkifanatic 10-22-2015 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 118303)
Hey all! I wanted to pop in and tell everyone to check out the recipe I tried on my family tonight. Here's the link in the food section for Salmon Chowder. My family loooooooooooooved it and it was less than 400 calories for a good sized bowl! I don't eat fish lol, so I can't tell you first hand, but by the reactions of the 5 other members in my family, it was a real winner.

Nikki: good to see you. so sorry about the report on your knees, but also glad that you are getting it addressed. Isn't it great to have a doctor who actually listens and doesn't look down their nose at you?!

Lisa,
This recipe looks delicious. I love fish. I'm definitely going to try this. I bet I could make a big batch and freeze it too which I love to do. Thanks for sharing it.

I can't tell you how relieved I was that my doctor addressed ME and not just my weight issue. I'm hoping the sports medicine/orthopedist is the same way when I go.

Thanks for the recipe!

linda987 10-22-2015 04:01 AM

today

Good Wonderful morning to all my new found friends.
Today is going to be great!
I've done 20 minutes of exercises and am going to bike for 5 minutes 2 x's today and go to a water aerobic class for 1 hour later this evening.
if possible join: it is great low impact. ( I am 6 months into healing a broken foot, ankle and Knee cap. ( bad car accident ) Dr. told me it will be a good year!
I am so focused on my food intake, still writing down everything that's going in my mouth!! I think I will be losing something its the first week so it might be some water weight, but that ok you have to start somewhere. right! Anyway I know today will be good.
I would love for you all to have a great day, relax and enjoy this journey!!

nikkifanatic 10-22-2015 04:06 AM

Libby,

Have you had your thyroid tested? When my mom was alive, she found it impossible to lose weight despite diet and exercise. Her doctor finally tested her thyroid and discovered that it was slow. Once he put her on medication, she began losing weight.

Are you logging everything you eat? (including drinks, dressing, condiments, cooking fats (such as olive oil, vegetable oil or butter) and sauces?) For awhile I was eating fast food restaurant salads (which were healthy on their own) but I was disregarding what dressing I was using. So my 300 calorie salad turned into an 800 calorie meal after adding just 2 packets of dressing.

Don't give up. My weight fluctuates on a daily basis too. I officially weigh in on mondays but I weigh myself every day. In fact, I did up an Excel spread sheet where I log the DAY BEFORE's calories, and the current days weight so I can see how my calories are affecting my weight. Sometimes it's obvious why I'm up half a pound. Other times, there's no rhyme or reason for it. But, it's also enabled me to see trends. For some reason, every 5th week I seem to gain 2-3 pounds. Then, the following week, I'll lose 4-5 pounds. Most likely this is some sort of fluid retention pattern (probably having something to do with my period) SORRY MIKE!

Hang in there Libby. Don't get discouraged. Everyone loses at different rates.

nikkifanatic 10-22-2015 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by linda987 (Post 118312)
Good Wonderful morning to all my new found friends.
Today is going to be great!
I've done 20 minutes of exercises and am going to bike for 5 minutes 2 x's today and go to a water aerobic class for 1 hour later this evening.
if possible join: it is great low impact. ( I am 6 months into healing a broken foot, ankle and Knee cap. ( bad car accident ) Dr. told me it will be a good year!
I am so focused on my food intake, still writing down everything that's going in my mouth!! I think I will be losing something its the first week so it might be some water weight, but that ok you have to start somewhere. right! Anyway I know today will be good.
I would love for you all to have a great day, relax and enjoy this journey!!

Great job Linda. Keep up the great work. Starting a quest for health can be so motivating. Nice to meet you.

nikkifanatic 10-22-2015 08:10 AM

Here is a product that I really like and have been using a lot since I restarted my diet back in March:

Cuisinart Griddler Deluxe
It is something like a Foreman Grill but I like it better.
Close it and it cooks your meat, sandwich on both top and bottom at the same time.
Open it up and it turns into a long flat griddle to cook eggs, bacon whatever for a crowd

It also has a floating top so you can adjust the height for different sized sandwiches or to the thickness of the meat you are cooking so it doesn't smash them down.

Sear Features: there are two buttons (for the top and bottom) that allows you to quick sear your meat on both sides quickly before you cook it through to keep the meat juicy.

Individual Temperature Controls for Top and Bottom
Nothing sticks, so I just typically use a tiny bit of cooking spray and things come off perfectly.

Both Top And Bottom Grill Plates Are Removable for Easy Washing

Here is the link: Cuisinart GR-150 Griddler Deluxe, Brushed Stainless (Refurbished) - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Cuisinart Electric Grills

lildebbieg 10-22-2015 11:40 AM

Good gawd girl! I could have wrote this post myself!!!!

I second Nikki's rec about having your thyroid tested. Have you ever had it tested?

lildebbieg 10-22-2015 01:32 PM

Lisa - Are you still enjoying infused water? What concoctions have you come up with!!?!!?

AZLisaLou 10-22-2015 02:04 PM

Debbie, I've just done the same things...strawberries mostly. Nothing exotic or fancy. I didn't go to the farmer's market last week. I completely forgot about the peaches I bought. They weren't ripe when I bought them, and then I forgot about them on the counter hiding out with the onions. Same with the kiwi. So I spent a lot of money on wasted fruit. I'll have to not buy so much at one time in the future. Sami likes using the frozen mixed berries, which is probably a better idea since they can stay in the freezer and we don't have to worry about them going bad. Maybe I can do the same with other fruits...buy them frozen and pop them in like an ice cube. I've actually, believe it or not, also been drinking plain water for the first time in my life ever.

rosabella2012 10-22-2015 03:22 PM

Back to the gym this afternoon for another hour long workout. According to their system, I lifted a combined total of 3215 pounds along with 21 minutes of cardio and burned almost 600 calories! Now if I could do that much every day AND eat according to plan, I'd be so happy--might even lose some more weight! I can feel my body getting stronger and I'm getting a little bit bigger muscles in my upper arms and calves! See how much all of you encourage me!

Lisa, Linda, Libby, Hope, Annette, Debbie, Mike, Nikki--you guys and gals ROCK! Vicki

AZLisaLou 10-22-2015 03:55 PM

We've got a handful of people on here right now who are feeling discouraged, and it concerns me. I hope you all know that perfection is not achievable, and there will be bumps in the road. We are here to support you, offer you encouragement, suggest ideas, be cheerleaders and just be a team. If there is anything I can do for any of you, please let me know. I wouldn't be successful right now if it weren't for all of you encouraging me through my difficult times, and I'm sure you will all be there for me when I stumble again.

libby135 10-23-2015 01:32 AM

Hi all. I nearly went on a binge last night but I read all the wonderful advice you gave me and the fact that today was weigh in and it stopped me. The scale was good to me today thanks to you all.

lildebbieg 10-23-2015 01:37 AM

I hit yet another all time high today. Too much salty crap this week....I have nobody to blame but myself. How did I let myself get here!?!!?! I need to turn this around yet every time I try, I stumble. I just hope that if I keep trying that one of these times it will stick again like it did in the past. :confused: I have family photos happening this weekend. I feel so terrible having to be in photos when I'm at my all time highest weight ever! There is not one overweight person in my family....only me. I feel like I'm going to ruin the pictures. I wish I could just say no...but nobody should ever say no to their mother!! ;)

Lisa - Thank you for your encouraging words! IF you should stumble, yes I will be here to try to encourage you too. I say if because maybe this time you won't stumble and you'll just keep on going in the right direction and cross that finish line into maintenance. You didn't answer my question...Are you still enjoying infused water? What concoctions have you come up with!!?!!? I'm going to pick up an infuser pitcher.

Vicki - 600 calories in one workout!! WOW! That's a lot of calories!! Great job making fitness part of your life!

Libby - I wish I had your mindset last night but instead I set myself up for a huge fail....yet again. I'm not giving up yet though....I still believe I can do this!

Have a great day all!

AZLisaLou 10-23-2015 01:53 AM

Debbie, I did answer you about the water lol. I wrote a response right after you asked. :p

lildebbieg 10-23-2015 02:46 AM

Oops! Sorry Lisa!! How did I miss that? LOL!!! ;) I think the frozen fruit idea is a good one...I think I'll try that. Also, I wonder if I really need an infuser.....a plain jug should do and then I can just strain out the fruit once it's infused. What do you think?

AZLisaLou 10-23-2015 03:00 AM

Debbie, a plain bottle or jug should work fine. most of the fruit will float, so just give it a good shake before you drink to mix it up good. I think I'm definitely going to try frozen peaches!

lildebbieg 10-23-2015 03:08 AM

I have frozen strawberries, cherries and blueberries in the freezer and lemon and lime in the fridge. Maybe I'll pick up some fresh mint today to add that in as well. One more question for you! How long to you let it sit to infuse before you drink it?

AZLisaLou 10-23-2015 03:10 AM

I lost 2.4 lbs since last Friday! I'm so very happy that things are coming together for me and that when I slip up (a few times a week!) the mess ups are less and less damaging to the overall picture. I struggled for a really long time like some of you are right now. The main thing is don't give up and don't stop trying! Things will click and come together.

lildebbieg 10-23-2015 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 118347)
I lost 2.4 lbs since last Friday! I'm so very happy that things are coming together for me and that when I slip up (a few times a week!) the mess ups are less and less damaging to the overall picture. I struggled for a really long time like some of you are right now. The main thing is don't give up and don't stop trying! Things will click and come together.

That is so awesome Lisa!!! You sound proud...as you should be!!! Keep at it, you're really doing so well!