FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Weight Loss Challenge! Out With the Old in With the New (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/12831-weight-loss-challenge-out-old-new.html)

AZLisaLou 10-04-2015 01:30 PM

New Year's Weight Loss Challenge...Out with the old, In with the new!

Start Date: 10/05/2015
End Date: 01/04/2016
Challenge: 5% off current weight.
Check-in every Monday.
Set, report and meet personal exercise goals to help you achieve av5% loss. Exercise can include anything at all that gets your heart beating...walking, up and down stairs, house work, yard work, dreadmill and other machines, anything can count.
Everyone is welcome to join at any time.

Does everyone agree with the 5%? Let me know if you feel something else would be better and we can change it. I hope everyone joins in. I'm also hoping that by having an end of the year challenge it will help with Halloween in October (isn't Canadian Thanksgiving in October too?), Thanksgiving (for the Americans) in November and Christmas or Hanukkah in December, and make it past the New Year with our goals in mind to keep us better on track.

13 weeks to lose 5%. Are you ready? Let's go!!!

libby135 10-04-2015 03:17 PM

Count me in. I am OK with 7%. Should we use our Friday weigh in data or
weigh in again on Monday? Will we have an exercise challenge as well? We are going to be very busy.

Um, I just calculated it at a pound a week. That is a challenge.

AZLisaLou 10-04-2015 04:39 PM

I went ahead and lowered it. 1.5 lbs for me on an every week basis might be too challenging. If I lower it to 5%, that will be about 1lb a week for me. I've got a lot more to lose than you do, so it's not as hard for me.

For the exercise part of the challenge, I'm just wanting everyone to try to commit themselves to something (anything, really, as long as it's movement and gets your heart beating) each week, and try really hard to accomplish it. It will make achieving the goal a bit easier.

Libby, also yes you can use your Friday info. Not everyone does the Friday weigh in, so for those who don't I put the weigh-in on monday since it starts and ends on a monday...13 Mondays. So you can just check in with whatever your Friday shows. To start, use last Friday.

AZLisaLou 10-04-2015 08:18 PM

Here I go!

Start (week 1):
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 254.5
Exercise Goal for the Week: Start Slim in 6 DVD series. At least 3 times.

To everybody...just do the best you can. There are no failures. Any loss is good loss! But let's do our best to reach our goal.

libby135 10-05-2015 01:56 AM

Here I go.
Start (Oct 5, 2015): 187.4
Oct 12,
Oct 19,
Oct 26,
Nov 2,
Nov 9,
Nov 16,
Nov 23,
Nov 30,
Dec 7,
Dec,14,
Dec 21,
Dec 28,
Jan 4,
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 174.7
Exercise Goal: 15 min. TMW per. day

lildebbieg 10-05-2015 01:58 AM

I'm all in!!! Thanks for getting us started on a new challenge Lisa! This is exactly what I need right now! I think I may go for 7% though. 5% for me is only 7.7 lbs. which would only be .6 pounds per week. 7% would be 10.8 lbs. over 13 weeks...still not even a pound per week...but still doable I think. As you know, I won't be weighing in for a while, so I won't be checking in with weigh ins, but I will certainly check in with exercise achievements!

Start (week 1): 154
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 143
Exercise Goal for the Week: 20-30 min. cardio x4, core workout x3

Let the games begin! May the odds be ever in your favor ;)

canary52 10-05-2015 02:00 AM

I'm in!!!! I'm just about to reach another decade of weight, the highest I've been in a while. And despite my physical challenges ( and because of them) I want to commit to some sort of movement, light exercise, short walks, etc.

Start ( week 1) 138.8
Goal (January 4, 2016) 132
Exercise goals for the week:
1) stretch and floor exercise every day
2) short walk, 10 minutes, or 10 minutes of cardio: bike, elliptical, dreadmill, three times this week

Thank you, Lisa, just what I needed! So glad I'm doing this with you all. Psyched!!!

libby135 10-05-2015 11:11 AM

Start (week 1): 187.4

Oct 5: no exercise but busy cleaning house, lots of stair walking and carrying.
Oct 6:
Oct 7:

lildebbieg 10-05-2015 11:43 AM

Oct 5: 30 minutes elliptical :)
Oct 6:
Oct 7:
Oct 8:
Oct 9:
Oct 10:
Oct 11:

I'm off to a good start! This week will be a little tricky with having company coming for the weekend and Thanksgiving as well. I'm going to give it my all though, so I'll have to just figure out how to squeeze it all in!

AZLisaLou 10-05-2015 11:32 PM

I think that I'm going to increase my personal goal. I feel that I should be able to do 1.5lbs/wk, which would be 7%.

Start (week 1): 268
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 241
M......no
T
W
Th
F
Sa
Su

I'm so scared to start exercising! When my back slipped out so badly (a long time ago now), it was the most excruciating pain I'd ever felt, even worse than giving birth 4 times. And every time I'm thinking about doing it, I'm reminded of that pain with the twinge in that exact spot that has never gotten better. I don't know why it's never gotten better. It's on my right lower back, just to the right of my spine. If I do this, I'm going to have to start out very slow to get over my fear and see that it's not going to slip out again with a little exercise. I mean, I wasn't exercising when it happened. I was just standing in front of the bathroom sink. Not bending or anything and it felt like my right side just literally dropped a few inches. ugh. I need to get over this fear that exercise will put my back out.

lildebbieg 10-06-2015 01:27 AM

Hi Lisa :) I completely understand what your saying about being fearful of hurting yourself again! When your back went out way back then, it was the same time my shoulder went out and what ultimately started me on the path of unraveling. Since then, I've tried to get back to a regular routine to no avail....each time I try inevitably something stops me kids get sick, I get sick, I get injured or lose motivation.

Like you said, you should start slow. Maybe don't start with Slim In Six (or if you do decide to do Slim In Six, take it slow)...why not just go out for a daily walk and build up your time? If walking outdoors isn't your thing and you prefer to do something indoors, maybe try out some indoor walking workouts. Here are a few links to some good indoor walking workouts.

Jessica Smith Walking Workouts I love Jessica's workouts! She has a large variety! Here's a link to her website.
Leslie Sansone Walking Workouts

And don't forget, you're not in this alone! I'm right here with you trying to get over of my fear of injuring myself too! We can do this...let's just take things slow :)

dschefer 10-06-2015 06:17 AM

Hi Lisa,

I understand how worried you are about the back pain. I've had some milder incidents with back pain when I had stopped exercising for quite a while. And I got it from messing around with the kids and twisting the wrong way, and then it combined with sciatica. I couldn't sleep, couldn't get in or out of the car. Yours definitely sounds much worse though, if worse than childbirth.
But since I've been running again for the last few months, I've not experienced any pain at all (well, except for my calf, but that was because I pushed myself too hard when I felt weak).

Are there any exercises you could do (possibly under the supervision of a physical therapist) which you could be assured would not strain your back?

libby135 10-06-2015 01:39 PM

Oct 6: we decided to rent a carpet cleaner and had to move a lot of furniture
My calories were a little high but I was super hungry.
Oct 7:

canary52 10-06-2015 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 118038)
I'm so scared to start exercising! When my back slipped out so badly (a long time ago now), it was the most excruciating pain I'd ever felt, even worse than giving birth 4 times. And every time I'm thinking about doing it, I'm reminded of that pain with the twinge in that exact spot that has never gotten better. I don't know why it's never gotten better. It's on my right lower back, just to the right of my spine. If I do this, I'm going to have to start out very slow to get over my fear and see that it's not going to slip out again with a little exercise. I mean, I wasn't exercising when it happened. I was just standing in front of the bathroom sink. Not bending or anything and it felt like my right side just literally dropped a few inches. ugh. I need to get over this fear that exercise will put my back out.

Lisa, I literally feel your pain ( well maybe not your exact pain...) But I have chronic back pain, so much so a doctor recommended surgery which I won't do. Add to this three knee operations and knee pain lately. I went to the ortho today for pain. All that being said, I WANT to exercise. Lack of movement makes my pain worse. I really believe that. And the thing is I LIKE to exercise, I miss it. But I do understand being scared. Who wants to feel the pain of 4 childbirths? Not I. And not you. The trick is (and this is a trick) how to find the balance for healthy movement. So yesterday and today I walked 10 minutes slowwwwwly total. The thing is, a step at a time. So I agree maybe not the Slim in 6 or maybe just as much of it as you can take. Less even. You can always do more. I am saying this to me as well as to you. I am determined to take back my health. I am 55; I'm tired of feeling like I am 85.We can do this. I believe we can.

And by the responses I can see many of us have our challenges. This is not just about being thin ( though that would be cool) but about being healthy.

OK I will step (very slowly, very gently) off my soapbox now.

canary52 10-06-2015 01:59 PM

10/5 Day 1: stretch, floor exercises and a slowww walk (could barely move) 5 minutes there, five back
10/6 Day 2: same as day 1 but walked a bit better

DH and I went out for a walk and wound up doing errands. We were about to go home but I said no, let's do a tiny walk. I wouldn't have done it without this challenge. Thanks, guys.

lildebbieg 10-06-2015 03:37 PM

Oct 5: 30 minutes elliptical
Oct 6: 60 minute walk and a core workout
Oct 7:
Oct 8:
Oct 9:
Oct 10:
Oct 11:

lildebbieg 10-07-2015 06:26 AM

Oct 7: 30 minute spin workout
Oct 8:
Oct 9:
Oct 10:
Oct 11:

AZLisaLou 10-08-2015 03:38 AM

Start (week 1): 268
M......no
T.......no
W.....no
Th
F
Sa
Su

Ok, so here's where I'm at. I had a talk last night with dd's bf, who is a massage therapist. I told him about the location of the muscles that went out in my back way back when that are still giving me a problem. He told me about the anatomy, which I've already forgotten, lol. But what I took away from the conversation is that a routine of stretching would be a good idea. He agrees that it's a double edged sword...my back hurts because it's weak, and exercising to make it strong, if not done properly, could exasperate the problem. So I'm going to modify my exercise goal to at least a few days of stretching. And maybe I can get him to work on my back a bit. I've been too embarrassed to have him touch my fat body that to this point I've turned down his offers of massages.

Diet-wise I'm doing a fantastic job of staying mostly on track, and the scale is rewarding me for my efforts. I'm anxious to see where I'll be at on Monday. I think I know where I'll be for the Friday Weigh In thread, which is exciting enough. But if I can stay on track throughout the weekend for a change I'm super excited to see where I can get to for Challenge Weigh In on Monday.

libby135 10-08-2015 05:43 AM

Oct 6: we decided to rent a carpet cleaner and had to move a lot of furniture
My calories were a little high but I was super hungry.
Oct 7: More cleaning, laundry, moving furniture back into place, dusting and sorting clothes and shoes.
October 8: Went for a short walk, ran some errands made supper and need to hem the table cloth. I had one cookie as a treat.
It's wonderful to have enthusiastic people on the board. Let's keep it going.

canary52 10-09-2015 04:24 AM

10/5 Day 1: stretch, floor exercises and a slowww walk (could barely move) 5 minutes there, five back
10/7 floor exercises, 15 minute walk woot woot
10/8 visiting a friend, floor exercises, no walk :(

I was down three pounds and gained half back. I take anti inflammatory meds twice a day and have to eat with them but have been eating too much at night. It's the night eating that gets me. Too many crackers!!!!!! Still down 1.4 lbs from when I started tho.

lildebbieg 10-09-2015 05:42 AM

Oct 8: 50 minute walk and a core workout
Oct 9:
Oct 10:
Oct 11:

libby135 10-10-2015 05:04 AM

Here I go.
Oct 12,
Oct 19,
Oct 26,
Nov 2,
Nov 9,
Nov 16,
Nov 23,
Nov 30,
Dec 7,
Dec,14,
Dec 21,
Dec 28,
Jan 4,
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 174.4
Just getting ready for Monday weigh in after Turkey dinner on Sunday.
I changed my goal to 174.4 which is a pound a week.

AZLisaLou 10-10-2015 07:49 PM

Start (Oct 5, 2015): 268
Oct 12,
Oct 19,
Oct 26,
Nov 2,
Nov 9,
Nov 16,
Nov 23,
Nov 30,
Dec 7,
Dec,14,
Dec 21,
Dec 28,
Jan 4,

I had an off day today. My daughter had a softball tournament and we weren't allowed to bring in any food or drinks from home into the stadium. Also, since we were out late we got Subway sandwiches for dinner. and yes, I had some soda. So I hope the day I had today doesn't completely mess up my weigh in for Monday. I'm going to have to be extra good Sunday.

libby135 10-11-2015 01:28 AM

I think this is a Dr. Phil ism, just because you had a fender bender doesn't mean you have to total the car. You had an off day but you can minimize the damage by getting back on track today. I wish I could put the lego cop picture up here and say STEP AWAY FROM THE SODA. You get the picture. You can do it.

AZLisaLou 10-11-2015 01:38 AM

Libby, thanks for the visual. lol. I have been up all night again and I'm back to drinking water all night. Just gotta keep it going. I also plan on having my ol' staple of atkins with milk to help me stay on track and not mindlessly eat junk. Thanks for the encouragement!

canary52 10-11-2015 06:57 AM

10/8 visiting a friend, floor exercises, no walk
10/9, floor exercises and stretch, walk with DH
10/10 ditto, 16 minute walk
1011 I had lost three pounds at the start of this and gained it back and more so NEW START, back to staying on plan

canary52 10-11-2015 06:59 AM

I like that "Dr Philism" about the car. Though I am starting to think of my weight gain as a train wreck.

lildebbieg 10-11-2015 01:04 PM

Oct 8: 50 minute walk and a core workout
Oct 9: nothing
Oct 10: nada
Oct 11: 5 hours of walking in one of the most beautiful nature reserves in our area!!! What a fantastic day of unstructured exercise!! We walked in the Canadian Shield...a rocky, mountainous region with breathtaking Fall colours. It was a perfect day!

lildebbieg 10-11-2015 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 118132)
....and yes, I had some soda. So I hope the day I had today doesn't completely mess up my weigh in for Monday. I'm going to have to be extra good Sunday.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/62372001.jpg

I think you and the soda is like me and the wine!! It's that indulgence that we know we know hinders our success. Don't be too hard on yourself though...you had some soda...but not a 2L bottle!! So brush yourself off and move forward...right? We have a challenge and goal ahead of us! ;)

AZLisaLou 10-11-2015 01:22 PM

thanks Debbie. :) yeah, the soda is difficult for me. But the good news is that I'm keeping my eye on that Jan 4th goal and I was right back on track today. a few *sips* of soda (hardly even enough to measure), but the rest has been water. I just put pineapple in my infuser as a matter of fact. I'm not going to be easily derailed this time. I'm so glad I have you ladies here to cheer me on!

libby135 10-11-2015 03:20 PM

I'm going to have to eat my own words. I should have stuck to my plan of not eating the higher calorie foods but I was so busy cooking all day that by supper time I was starving and ate every thing. I did manage to skip dessert.
Tomorrow's weigh in will be the proof of how well or poorly I did.

canary52 10-12-2015 03:17 AM

10/8 visiting a friend, floor exercises, no walk
10/9, floor exercises and stretch, walk with DH
10/10 ditto, 16 minute walk
10/11 I had lost three pounds at the start of this and gained it back and more so NEW START, back to staying on plan, stretch, floor exercises, 16 minute walk
10/12 137.8 this morning, so not the three pounds at the best but a pound down, walking and a resolve to "eat clean" as best as I can. A bit of pain in my knee and not feeling great due to meds but determined to keep on.

libby135 10-12-2015 03:58 AM

Oct 12, 184.8 Not as bad as I feared, I'll take it. Recovering from TGD.
I'm cleaning the sewing room today, big mess.
Oct 19,
Oct 26,
Nov 2,
Nov 9,
Nov 16,
Nov 23,
Nov 30,
Dec 7,
Dec,14,
Dec 21,
Dec 28,
Jan 4,
Goal (Jan 4, 2016): 174.4
Just getting ready for Monday weigh in after Turkey dinner on Sunday.
I changed my goal to 174.4 which is a pound a week.

AZLisaLou 10-12-2015 05:21 AM

Libby, what a great job you did this week, even with Thanksgiving thrown in there! good for you!

Start (Oct 5, 2015): 268
Oct 12, 265.6
Oct 19,
Oct 26,
Nov 2,
Nov 9,
Nov 16,
Nov 23,
Nov 30,
Dec 7,
Dec,14,
Dec 21,
Dec 28,
Jan 4,

I ended up less than last week, which I am very grateful for; however, I am up from Fridays weigh in, and I'm a little sad about that. I do know though it's a combination of salt from a bunch of cold cuts and also bloat as this is day 1 of ttotm. It's a good start to the challenge, and I am satisfied!

rosabella2012 10-12-2015 08:58 AM

Down 3 pounds from last week! That's a little over 12 pounds since starting the Diabetes Prevention Program 5 weeks ago. That means I only have about 9 more pounds to lose to meet my challenge in class. But that won't be the end of my weight-loss journey--I've still got more to lose. Gotta run do some errands! Vicki

libby135 10-13-2015 02:15 AM

Debbie, your exercise achievements are impressive. I hope that when I get to
the 150's I will be moving a lot more and better than I am now. For the people who are weighing in, we have all had a really good start in week one.
Let's do it again this week. Keep your eyes on the prize.

lildebbieg 10-13-2015 06:25 AM

Hi all! Setting up exercise goals for a new week! I'm giving myself a break today, but plan to get in a workout each day for the rest of the week!

Week 2 Exercise Goals: 5 interval workouts (alternating between a cardio move and a strength move) and get out for a walk at least twice. It is a very rainy forecast this week, so achieving this goal will be dependant on mother nature ;)

Oct 12: nada
Oct 13:
Oct 14:
Oct 15:
Oct 16:
Oct 17:
Oct 18:

lildebbieg 10-13-2015 06:27 AM

You had a successful first week! Great job!!!

I did manage to get in quite a bit of exercise in the first week of our challenge, but I know that I've undone any good I did this past weekend. So hard to stay on track with guests! It is what it is and I'm just planning on dusting myself off and getting right back on track :)

lildebbieg 10-14-2015 07:10 AM

Week 2 Exercise Goals: 5 interval workouts (alternating between a cardio move and a strength move) and get out for a walk at least twice. It is a very rainy forecast this week, so achieving this goal will be dependant on mother nature

Oct 12: nada
Oct 13: 30 min. Shoulders/Triceps interval workout + 25 min. Kickboxing workout
Oct 14:
Oct 15:
Oct 16:
Oct 17:
Oct 18:

AZLisaLou 10-16-2015 04:53 AM

I actually exercised yesterday! I faced my fear of hurting my back again, and I got my fat a$$ off the sofa. Granted, I only did a few minutes before I was huffing and puffing and couldn't move my limbs anymore, but at least I did it. I got a start, and I will only do better from here. I got past the first hurdles of putting the DVD in, pressing play, and moving my body. Now I've got to get past the second hurdles...doing it repeatedly and going longer each time.