FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivation & Support 9/28-10/4 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/12791-motivation-support-9-28-10-4-a.html)

AZLisaLou 09-28-2015 03:24 AM

Motivation & Support 9/28-10/4

How did everyone do over the weekend?

I have a problem that I just don't know how to control. I feel like a bottomless pit. I almost always feel hungry. It's said that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize you've eaten and that you're full. Last night I had 1 hot dog and a small handful of bbq chips with diet soda. Even after I ate I was famished. I wanted to go down and eat a whole other meal. and sometimes I do honestly. I sat with myself though thinking if I wait a few minutes, then a few more minutes and a few more that eventually I'll not be hungry. People, it took my brain 1 full hour to tell me that I ate and wasn't hungry! How do I combat this? And please don't say "drink a glass of water". I've tried this many times and it makes no difference. I drink a lot of fluids while I'm eating and otherwise. I honestly don't know how to keep my eating under control when I constantly feel hungry and deprived.

Goals for the week:
1. easy on the sugared soda
2. 1 atkins w/ milk / day
3. control portions

canary52 09-28-2015 03:57 AM

Hi Lisa, I have this problem sometimes. I try to figure out filing foods. For example, for me, steel cut oatmeal ( McCann's) is more filling than any other kind. I don't love oatmeal but I add fruit and nut and it's really filling breakfast. Sometimes if I am super hungry, I'll add whole grain bead or rice or potato to a meal to fill me. You might just need to add soups, salad, etc to help fill you. One hot dog and a few chips is not that much for dinner. I'd be hungry too. A baked potato rather than chips would have filled you more

Goals:
1) Alright, water - 6 glasses minimum
2 Priorities
3) Plan meals
4) Clean diet

Plan for 9/28
Breakfast
One egg, one egg white, spinach and goat cheese - had
Lunch
Hummus and salad in whole wheat wrap
apple
Dinner
Filet of sole
Quionoa/millet/veg salad and rice and beans ( leftovers)
Snacks
goat yogurt
walnuts/figs
dried kale

libby135 09-28-2015 04:15 AM

Hi all. It's good to be home again. The cottage is closed up for the winter and I can settle down to getting my own home straightened up. I was very good with food choices while I was away but the scale didn't show what I thought it should. I had to revise my goals again because my weight loss is slowing down to a crawl. It's time to get some exercise in.

Lisa, do something that is incompatible with eating like putting on nail polish or whitening your teeth or hand crafts. These are some of the things that I do.

Debbie, where you at girl. Come back soon.

Let's all have a good week.

iansteele 09-28-2015 05:57 AM

Hope you all don't mind if I join up, I've got really out of shape in the past 12 months and need some support to get back on the wagon.

Lisa, try eating foods that contain liquids rather than food and liquids. Soups, cereals, etc might do the trick mentally.

Goals:
Calorie defecit everyday
Exercise everyday

01gt4.6 09-28-2015 08:53 AM

What's up people? I forgot to set my goals today but one of them was going to be to do something productive, which I've done. I've gotten some pallets, disassembled (which is difficult), and put the boards back together, framed them up from behind, painted then stained for a rustic look. Turned out good for my first try.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...psesjphovz.jpg

rosabella2012 09-28-2015 09:50 AM

Mike: Your project looks nice! Good job!

Libby: Those rotten scales--shame on them! I know what you mean--it seems like I put in way more work than they realize at times too!

Lisa: I do best when I eat some protein and fiberous foods at least every 3-4 hours when I'm awake. I try to tell myself that I won't starve to death before my next meal but sometimes my tummy doesn't believe me! The only thing I let myself have whenever I want is water with a sugar-free drink powder mixed in. This journey is tough!
I've also found that when I get out of the kitchen after meals and get involved with something not food related I can go without food easier.
My sister brushes her teeth as soon as each meal is finished--before she clears away the leftover food/dishes. That way she says she doesn't want to get her teeth dirty. If she DOES eat an extra bite, she brushes her teeth all over again! (She has some beautiful teeth!)

Ian: Glad you're here! Today's a great day to start!

Hope: How do you fix your sole? I've got some fresh salmon marinating in a balsamic vinegarette dressing the fridge to fix tomorrow! It's a new recipe I'm trying!

Quiet weekend at my house. Made a meatloaf with additional veggies. Didn't get to see the moon last night--clouds were too thick. Vicki

01gt4.6 09-28-2015 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rosabella2012 (Post 117833)
Mike: Your project looks nice! Good job!

Thanks Vicki!

Goals

1) drink 100 oz water a day
2) no visiting the ghost
3) do something productive 3x
4) buy a scale and log my weight

For those that don't know, my "no visiting the ghost" means no getting up during the night to eat. The funny thing is I use to always list it as no visiting the ghost and I'm sure people thought I was crazy. I know many don't believe in that sort of thing. Anyway, I sold my house a couple months ago and within a couple weeks, the new owners was telling my old neighbors they thought there was a ghost in the house.:eek:

rosabella2012 09-28-2015 11:43 AM

Mike: I have a friend who actually lives in a home listed on a few websites as 'haunted'. Some of our friends won't stay overnight in the house because they say they hear/see things. I've spent several nights in her upstairs guest room alone and have had no problems--never heard or saw anything, other than my shadow! Vicki

lildebbieg 09-28-2015 11:52 AM

Hi all :) I've been inconsistent posting here...and inconsistent with my efforts. Yesterday I started with a sinus cold/infection so I'm feeling pretty ill today. I was planning to get in some exercise after work but feeling too unwell. I did manage to track my calories today....so that's a positive! ;)

Lisa - Thanks for starting us off again this week! I don't have any good tricks for feeling full. If I'm still hungry but have no calories left for the day, I try to fill up on veggies. A hot drink like tea or light hot chocolate seem to help as well...oh and soup too! I remember way back that you used to eat sweetened rice...I think you said it satisfied your sweet tooth and was filling. Do you still eat sweet rice?

Hope - I second that....a baked potato is nice and filling. It may be that it's high in fiber that makes it so satisfying?

Libby - I'm here girl! Thanks for the call out ;) So what do you have planned for exercise? Are you going to go back to aqua fitness? You seemed to enjoy that.

Ian - I've been struggling with that darn wagon too! Lost all the weight then gained it all back....plus some :rolleyes: You're in good company here!

Mike - Cool project! Are you making the pallets into table tops or something? K, that's seriously freaky that the new owners think there is a ghost in the house! The house you just sold...is it the new house with tons of property that you just bought in the past year or so?

Vicki - Here's my favourite salmon recipe....in case you're interested. I have never really cooked sole...if you find a good recipe, please do share!

Have a good evening all!

libby135 09-28-2015 12:21 PM

I just had company over for supper. Every one is enjoying pie so I left the room. I probably won't go back into the kitchen this evening and dishes can wait till tomorrow. Happy dieting.
Debbie, I don't know what I am going to do for exercise. My right foot is hurting so bad that I can hardly walk. I was on my feet a lot today, cooking and cleaning.

01gt4.6 09-28-2015 02:48 PM

Vicki and Debbie, this was my old house I just sold. I have no doubts that there was something other than us when we lived there. My mom actually died in the house but I can say that it's not her. We've all seen and heard things. Nothing ever threatening. One of our girls felt something. Said she was taking a bath, laid back to rinse her hair and said she felt fingers go across her face. The dogs would constantly stare are "nothing" and growl. That has all stopped since we moved. The new owners said that her dog was doing the same thing. She walked up jokingly, put up her hand and said "high five" and said she felt something touch her hand. I think the started experiencing noises and such right away. The crazy thing is usually any time we did something to the house it would site it up. We'd hear stuff more often. When we were packing and moving, it was dead silent. I had actually forgot about it. It's a shame that when something like that happens so often, it's to the point that you can just forget about it.

I may have to make one for a table top for the future.

AZLisaLou 09-28-2015 04:41 PM

Hello, everyone.

Debbie, as always it is so good to see you hear. I hope your cold passes quickly! I've been inconsistent too. and my weight loss/gain of the same 2 lbs each week is proof of that. I'll be your cheerleader! Do you have any goals for the week? As far as the sweet rice goes, no, not me...the rest of my family, yes. They like cinnamon sugar on theirs. For me, just butter. And darn it no I haven't had any in a long time. Funny how things are working, then I just slowly get away from what's working and start doing everything that's NOT working. ugh.

Libby, so sorry your foot pain has you derailed in the exercise department. I'm sorry I have a bad memory...was it an injury or something else? I'm so stupid I cut my toenail too short and clipped a bit of skin. Very bad pain to walk on, and I kept stubbing it right on that spot! lol I'm such an idiot.

Mike, I have also lived in houses where "something" was there. One was making a lot of noises, things would be moved, etc. It was an uneasy presence (to say the least) that scared me when I was home alone. I hope your new house is completely peaceful! Your project is awesome! Looks super good!!!

Ian, welcome to the group! I lost about 50 lbs and gained very nearly all of it back, so I'm trying to get back on the wagon too. It's still speeding and I've had a hard time catching up and jumping on lol.

Thanks to you all for giving me suggestions on how to bulk up my diet with not a lot of calories. I agree the chips were not a good choice. It was late, and I didn't feel like dealing with anything else. Tonight we had a not so good dinner again. It was quick and easy night...pancakes with bacon crumbles in the batter. It did fill me up quickly though. I'm grateful for that! Now I doubt I'll be snacking all night. So some extra calories up front, but I will probably save some over the long run of the night. Right now I just feel incredibly thirsty, like I can't get enough...gotta go get another drink.

Eat well, be well, stay well my friends.

canary52 09-29-2015 02:12 AM

Hi Everyone!

Debbie, Ian, glad to see you back!!!! So sorry you are sick, Debbie; feel better soon!!! Maybe some chicken soup?

Mike, nice job. I remember the ghost stories. Definitely believe. I have experienced some myself...I love that in NOLA there are rental signs that tell you if the property is haunted or not.

Libby, I am sorry your foot hurts so much and that it has impeded you. I hope it feels better soon.

My back and left knee have been a mess and last night I woke up in a fibro flare. So I think I might have to tighten the belt on the diet. Have been eating a lot of carbs lately and I think that and the weather here (getting colder) are wreaking havoc on my health and my weight. So will try to focus on protein, veg, fruit, nuts. And am going to find some very mild activity I can do. Can't give up tho I will admit to getting discouraged.

canary52 09-29-2015 02:22 AM

Goals:
1) Alright, water - 6 glasses minimum -Y
2 Priorities - Y
3) Plan meals - Y
4) Clean diet -Y

Plan
B:eggs and veg
L:chicken and salad
D:steak and veg
Snacks:
raw cashews and figs
hummus and carrots and rice crackers
fruit

I just bought some goat brie and whitefish salad and am going to have to try to save these as a "reward" if I do at least a few days clean.

01gt4.6 09-29-2015 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 117840)
Mike, I have also lived in houses where "something" was there. One was making a lot of noises, things would be moved, etc. It was an uneasy presence (to say the least) that scared me when I was home alone. I hope your new house is completely peaceful! Your project is awesome! Looks super good!!!

Thank you, it was a fun, kinda exhausting project. Yeah it can be an uneasy feeling. I often felt like someone was walking behind me. That could have just been my imagination playing tricks on me. Some noises and things being moved are hard to dismiss though.

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 117845)
Hi Everyone!

Mike, nice job. I remember the ghost stories. Definitely believe. I have experienced some myself...I love that in NOLA there are rental signs that tell you if the property is haunted or not.

My back and left knee have been a mess and last night I woke up in a fibro flare. So I think I might have to tighten the belt on the diet. Have been eating a lot of carbs lately and I think that and the weather here (getting colder) are wreaking havoc on my health and my weight. So will try to focus on protein, veg, fruit, nuts. And am going to find some very mild activity I can do. Can't give up tho I will admit to getting discouraged.

Thanks, I hope you get to feeling better.

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 117846)
Goals:
1) Alright, water - 6 glasses minimum -Y
2 Priorities - Y
3) Plan meals - Y
4) Clean diet -Y

Plan
B:eggs and veg
L:chicken and salad
D:steak and veg
Snacks:
raw cashews and figs
hummus and carrots and rice crackers
fruit

I just bought some goat brie and whitefish salad and am going to have to try to save these as a "reward" if I do at least a few days clean.

I almost hate to say it, but.... nice job! Congrats, you are rocking it!!

01gt4.6 09-29-2015 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by iansteele (Post 117831)
Hope you all don't mind if I join up, I've got really out of shape in the past 12 months and need some support to get back on the wagon.

Lisa, try eating foods that contain liquids rather than food and liquids. Soups, cereals, etc might do the trick mentally.

Goals:
Calorie defecit everyday
Exercise everyday

Come on it Ian, nice to "see" you again. Just remember, no matter how bad it gets, round is a shape. That;s why I try not to say I'm not in shape. ;)

01gt4.6 09-29-2015 05:16 AM

Goals

1) drink 100 oz water a day no
2) no visiting the ghost yes
3) do something productive 3x yes
4) buy a scale and log my weight not yet

rosabella2012 09-29-2015 05:54 AM

Mike: I live in a home that was built around 1920. Many things are original and we adore it. It's not haunted, but it could be since the man that built the home killed himself in his office behind the home. Your flag tops would make a very nice coffee table or even small kitchen table or even a prep island, I think.

Lisa: Pancakes with bacon sounds like something I'd enjoy! I adore using a pancake like a tortilla wrapped around a sausage link and dipped in pancake syrup. Don't eat that now, but I have many times in the past!

Hope and Libby: I hope you both feel better soon!

I bought a fresh salmon fillet yesterday, cut it up and put it on to marinate overnight in a bottle of light balsamic vinegarette dressing. Rinsed it off and got a portion for my lunch in the oven and it smells SOOOO good! Fresh squash to go with it! DH's supper of baked boneless pork ribs already done and cooling. Making a salad of grilled chicken breast slices, fresh jicama, carrots, radishes, chopped romaine, low-fat feta and herbs instead of dressing for supper. Already had 64 oz H2O and I'm sure I'll get in more a bit later since today seems to be one of my 'thirsty' days. Even though I'm not diabetic, some days I crave water and today's one of those days.

Got cellulitis in my TOES, of all places! Feels like I'm walking on a rock--oh well, doing what I can to resolve the issue--cellulitis hits me from time to time, so I just take care of it and go on.

Mobility issues slowly improving--I really think the PT exercises and the glucosamine/MSM supplement are helping. At least I'm not having to take pain meds as often now.

Lost another 2 pounds last week! The Diabetes Prevention Program classes are interesting--I never realized the impact excess dietary fat has on predisposing us to Type 2 diabetes. We absolutely NEED fat in our diet, but we need good quality fat, not the processed fats some Americans might eat. Good fat helps us process and absorb some vitamins/minerals, provides saeity and helps lubricate our joints. Yes, other things set us up for diabetes too, but some of these are things we can't control like ethnicity, genetics and age, but I can and should be in charge of what I eat. Back when I was in nursing school, this wasn't known or taught--so glad for advancements in learning!

Vicki

lildebbieg 09-29-2015 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 117839)
Vicki and Debbie, this was my old house I just sold. I have no doubts that there was something other than us when we lived there. My mom actually died in the house but I can say that it's not her. We've all seen and heard things. Nothing ever threatening. One of our girls felt something. Said she was taking a bath, laid back to rinse her hair and said she felt fingers go across her face. The dogs would constantly stare are "nothing" and growl. That has all stopped since we moved. The new owners said that her dog was doing the same thing. She walked up jokingly, put up her hand and said "high five" and said she felt something touch her hand. I think the started experiencing noises and such right away. The crazy thing is usually any time we did something to the house it would site it up. We'd hear stuff more often. When we were packing and moving, it was dead silent. I had actually forgot about it. It's a shame that when something like that happens so often, it's to the point that you can just forget about it.

I may have to make one for a table top for the future.

I was reading this post at 2am last night/early this morning as I sat awake after taking a decongestant for this damn cold. I sat in the kitchen with only the stove light on with my iPad and headphones. I didn't want to wake the kids or make myself feel more awake than I already was. I was totally creeped out reading this post! I nervously looked around the dim light room and felt uneasy. I reach for a tissue to blow my nose and as soon as I blew a loud scream came from the bottom of the stairs! My husband was still awake and working in the basement...yes at 2 am! Our 7 yo daughter had woke up from a nightmare and was wandering around upstairs looking for us and when she didn't see us in bed, she came down the stairs in the dark looking for us. Your post scared me! I scared her by startling her in the dark while blowing my nose! She scared the crap out of me with her scream! All good though....no ghosts where seen :p

lildebbieg 09-29-2015 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 117840)
Debbie, as always it is so good to see you hear. I hope your cold passes quickly! I've been inconsistent too. and my weight loss/gain of the same 2 lbs each week is proof of that. I'll be your cheerleader! Do you have any goals for the week? As far as the sweet rice goes, no, not me...the rest of my family, yes. They like cinnamon sugar on theirs. For me, just butter. And darn it no I haven't had any in a long time. Funny how things are working, then I just slowly get away from what's working and start doing everything that's NOT working. ugh.

you've always got my back Lisa! Thank you for being here to cheer me on! We've done this weight loss thing before and we can do it again! One day at a time right! We just need to dig in and get angry! Lol! :D. I truly believe once we get a small taste of victory, we'll feel accomplished and want to keep moving forward! I'm cheering you on too!

lildebbieg 09-29-2015 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 117845)
Debbie, Ian, glad to see you back!!!! So sorry you are sick, Debbie; feel better soon!!! Maybe some chicken soup?

Hi Hope! I discovered a Thai restaurant right up the road from my house. I ordered the most yummy hot and spicy shrimp soup! It was so good and felt so soothing with this virus. Now I'm on the hunt for the recipe! Lol!

Sorry to hear you're in a flare and feeling discouraged. I can relate! Chin up girl! One day at a time! Dealing with chronic illness is no joke! You are so strong to keep pushing towards your goals while dealing with fibro! Not everyone would do that! Hope you're having a better day today :)

lildebbieg 09-29-2015 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by rosabella2012 (Post 117850)
I bought a fresh salmon fillet yesterday, cut it up and put it on to marinate overnight in a bottle of light balsamic vinegarette dressing. Rinsed it off and got a portion for my lunch in the oven and it smells SOOOO good! Fresh squash to go with it! DH's supper of baked boneless pork ribs already done and cooling. Making a salad of grilled chicken breast slices, fresh jicama, carrots, radishes, chopped romaine, low-fat feta and herbs instead of dressing for supper. Already had 64 oz H2O and I'm sure I'll get in more a bit later since today seems to be one of my 'thirsty' days. Even though I'm not diabetic, some days I crave water and today's one of those days.

Got cellulitis in my TOES, of all places! Feels like I'm walking on a rock--oh well, doing what I can to resolve the issue--cellulitis hits me from time to time, so I just take care of it and go on.

Mobility issues slowly improving--I really think the PT exercises and the glucosamine/MSM supplement are helping. At least I'm not having to take pain meds as often now.

Lost another 2 pounds last week! The Diabetes Prevention Program classes are interesting--I never realized the impact excess dietary fat has on predisposing us to Type 2 diabetes. We absolutely NEED fat in our diet, but we need good quality fat, not the processed fats some Americans might eat. Good fat helps us process and absorb some vitamins/minerals, provides saeity and helps lubricate our joints. Yes, other things set us up for diabetes too, but some of these are things we can't control like ethnicity, genetics and age, but I can and should be in charge of what I eat. Back when I was in nursing school, this wasn't known or taught--so glad for advancements in learning!

Vicki

Sorry to hear you're dealing with cellulitis....I had to google it to know what it is...sounds uncomfortable!! Glad to hear the mobility issues are improving though! And down another 2 pounds!!!!! Keep forging forward lady!!

lildebbieg 09-29-2015 01:11 PM

Libby and Ian...hi! Didn't see a post from either of you today...hope you're both having a great day!

lildebbieg 09-29-2015 01:26 PM

I was on facebook tonight (not sure what brought me there...not a fan :rolleyes:)...anyway...I saw a post from a friend who posted a picture of us from a few years back. It was 2008...I had my second child in November 2007 and the picture was September 2008...so 10 months after my second baby. I was off work on maternity leave for 12 months (sooo nice!!! This pic was only weeks away from me going back to work and losing all balance in my life!!!!) While on mat leave, I had time to take care of my kids and myself...I ran nearly every day back then. It was stressful in a sense taking care of two kids only 18 months apart...but I didn't work...this was all I did...take care of them and take care of me (my husband fit in there somewhere as well...I swear! :p) I was around 115 lbs. back then...the weight I always was before I had kids and before I went back to work. After I went back to work, the real struggle began. How to I fit in time for myself and still feel like I'm a good mother and a good wife. Fast forward to today, I don't feel like I accomplish any of those goals. I don't take care of myself...and I struggle to feel like a good mother and a good wife. Tonight I changed my avatar pic to the facebook picture I saw tonight. I hope that each time I log in here and see that picture, I'm reminded of someone who had balance. This is what I'm working towards. Sure, I would love to be 115 lbs. again, but more importantly, I would be so happy to feel balanced and able to handle the pressures in my life.

**Big sigh*** I hope I have it in me to do this again!

AZLisaLou 09-29-2015 04:53 PM

Debbie, yes I think if we get a taste of success it will be really motivating for both of us. I know the struggle of balance and being good for everyone. It's not an easy tightrope to walk. You do need to make time for yourself to be healthy and feel healthy in order to be the best you can for everyone else. Sounds corny, I know, but it's so true. With my mental illness I have to find balance or I lose stability and am no good to anyone. I have to take my meds, and get plenty of sleep (a LOT of sleep!!!) in order to be a better mom and wife when I'm awake. Do some self reflection and figure out what YOU need for yourself in order to be the best for everyone else and work hard on that. The rest will fall in line. btw, your photo is beautiful, as I'm sure you still are on the outside, but inside you're a beautiful person too and you need to remember that. We do have it in us to do this again. Come on buddy...we can both do this! (sorry for rambling so long!!!)

Vicki, so sorry to hear about the cellulitis! Like Debbie I had to look it up as I'd never really heard of it before. Sounds painful! I hope it clears up quickly. What do you do for it?

A good topic was brought up by Vicki in her last post...healthy fats. What types of healthy fats do you eat and how do you like to prepare them? Anyone want to chime in?

I had some healthy fat tonight at dinner...guacamole. It was so delicious on top of a chicken quesadilla. I went easy on the cheese (compared to usual lol...I love me some cheese!), but did have some sour cream on top. There were 6 oz overall of chicken, but I only ate 3/4 of it. I know that's a lot of meat at one meal, but it was my only meal so far today. I know that's bad for me too, eating only 1 or 2 meals a day. I need to find more balance in that area as well. I think I will have an atkins with milk sometime before bed to get in more protein and good stuff for the day.

iansteele 09-29-2015 11:12 PM

Yeah, I've been too busy at work to find time to write a long reply so I'll just throw in a quickie.

Did great on Monday, an hour of cleaning the house and 30 min on the exercise bike allowed a pretty good start to the week. Tuesday I didn't have time to exercise so I'll need to set that right today but at least I managed a calorie defecit (no matter how small it was) even without the exercise.

Keep up the good work people!

rainbow24 09-30-2015 03:20 AM

Great! I'm not even starting my week until its in the middle already.

I looked after my grandkids on Monday and it took everything out of me. I have so much to do before I leave again on Saturday.

Water, that is the big thing for me right now. My mom uses a Brita on her city tap water. I am used to well water.
I think I need to bring water with me for drinking. 14 Liters.

While I'm at it, I need to up my water here at home as well. I keep forgetting to drink.

AZLisaLou 09-30-2015 03:26 AM

eye opening a-ha moment. There's a commercial on tv where at the end it says that women do another thing better than men...heart disease/heart attacks. I was driving home from dropping Sara off at school and for as many times as I've seen that commercial, it finally hit me in that moment. I'm getting older (44) and as overweight as I am I wouldn't doubt if I had some level of heart disease. I don't want to have a heart attack before I'm 50! I need to up this game!

Started off the day well with an atkins with milk. I need to keep the rest of the day in line.

libby135 09-30-2015 03:30 AM

I slept most of the day yesterday. I was too sore to move because of all the cleaning I did on Monday. My calories were good yesterday and Monday so I hope Friday weigh in will be good.

canary52 09-30-2015 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 117869)
eye opening a-ha moment. There's a commercial on tv where at the end it says that women do another thing better than men...heart disease/heart attacks. I was driving home from dropping Sara off at school and for as many times as I've seen that commercial, it finally hit me in that moment. I'm getting older (44) and as overweight as I am I wouldn't doubt if I had some level of heart disease. I don't want to have a heart attack before I'm 50! I need to up this game!

Started off the day well with an atkins with milk. I need to keep the rest of the day in line.

That's the thing I have always been aware of: with heart disease, stroke, diabetes, etc, in my family, I don't need to add extra risk. So, in a way, I am glad you got the jolt. We need you around!!!

Debbie, I found some great Thai chicken soup in NOLA when I got sick there. I lived off it. If you find a good recipe, please share....

Mike, how did you get those flags looking so good? Stencils? Thanks for the reluctantly given props lol.

nikkifanatic 09-30-2015 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 117827)
How did everyone do over the weekend?

I have a problem that I just don't know how to control. I feel like a bottomless pit. I almost always feel hungry. It's said that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize you've eaten and that you're full. Last night I had 1 hot dog and a small handful of bbq chips with diet soda. Even after I ate I was famished. I wanted to go down and eat a whole other meal. and sometimes I do honestly. I sat with myself though thinking if I wait a few minutes, then a few more minutes and a few more that eventually I'll not be hungry. People, it took my brain 1 full hour to tell me that I ate and wasn't hungry! How do I combat this? And please don't say "drink a glass of water". I've tried this many times and it makes no difference. I drink a lot of fluids while I'm eating and otherwise. I honestly don't know how to keep my eating under control when I constantly feel hungry and deprived.

Goals for the week:
1. easy on the sugared soda
2. 1 atkins w/ milk / day
3. control portions

Hi Lisa,
You probably need more protein and GOOD fats in your diet. Soda (even diet) and chips are pure carbs and soda of any kind can actually stimulate appetite. I've been sticking to a diet of just 1100 - 1300 calories per day and feel satisfied with the foods that I'm eating but if it's any consolation, even I'd feel hungry after the meal you listed.

In place of the chips, next time maybe try some baked beans with that hot dog. They're loaded with protein and beans are really filling (you just have to watch the calories b/c they are high in calories).

Good luck.

lildebbieg 09-30-2015 07:54 AM

Hi all! Still down with this cold, so still not getting in any exercise. Once I feel up to it, I'll be hitting the bike and elliptical hard! :p

On another topic, last night a friend shared a post on Facebook (why do I keep getting sucked into Facebook!!?!?!) that showed the treatment of pigs and cows in the 'meat industry'. I was blubbering like a baby...seriously!! Made me feel sick to actually witness what goes on!! I knew it was bad...I mean how can it be good right? But to see the actual pain and cruelty was completely shocking to me! I've contemplated vegetarianism (and/or pescatarian) on and off for years, but it seems like another level of stress in my life...it's hard enough to feed my family as it is so if I went veg it would make things that much harder. Selfish thought I know.... Maybe I should start to plan some meatless meals or at the very least more fish meals (assuming fish don't feel the same level of feelings as mammals?) and then once I have enough veg meals in my arsenal, I can possibly make the switch. I really can't get those images out of my head! :(

Lisa - Thanks for the pep talk! I know you know a thing or two about keeping balanced. I'm taking your advice of self reflection and working on my own balancing act ;) As for healthy fats in my diet, I mostly get healthy fats from fatty fish like salmon and from olive or canola oil in dressings. I do love avocado, but they go brown so quickly after cutting and nobody else in my house eats them so I usually just don't bother buying them. Do you know of a way to keep them from oxidizing? I get you on the realizing we're aging and these health conditions we once read about that affected 'old' people now applies to us! LOL!! ahem...not funny...but you know what I mean right? It's a good time to be proactive instead of waiting for something to happen and having to be reactive.

Libby - So what's up with your foot? Where is the pain? As you know I was dealing with a foot injury in August and I guess I still am in a way...but I'm no longer in pain. Have you seen a doctor or physiotherapist yet? Sorry if you've already answered all these questions...I guess I missed it.

Hope - I picked up all the ingredients to make Tom Yum Goong (Thai hot & sour soup with shrimp....but it sounds way more fancy to say Tom Yum Goong ;)) That's what's on my (pescatarian) menu for dinner tonight...well at least for me...nobody else in my house will try it...let you know how it turns out and share the recipe if you're intersted!!

Have an awesome evening all!

lildebbieg 09-30-2015 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by nikkifanatic (Post 117874)
Hi Lisa,
You probably need more protein and GOOD fats in your diet. Soda (even diet) and chips are pure carbs and soda of any kind can actually stimulate appetite. I've been sticking to a diet of just 1100 - 1300 calories per day and feel satisfied with the foods that I'm eating but if it's any consolation, even I'd feel hungry after the meal you listed.

In place of the chips, next time maybe try some baked beans with that hot dog. They're loaded with protein and beans are really filling (you just have to watch the calories b/c they are high in calories).

Good luck.

Hi there Nikki...I don't believe we've met? Welcome to the motivation and support thread! :D We're a small group here, so the more the merrier! I saw in another of your posts that you've lost 79 lbs.! That's incredible! I too need to eat a pretty low cal diet to see the scale move in the right direction...1100-1300 cals per day can be pretty tough. I'd love to hear what you eat on a regular basis to stay in that calorie range and feel satisfied!

AZLisaLou 09-30-2015 08:14 AM

Debbie...Put a little lime or lemon juice in with the avocado and it will help them to not turn brown as fast. Last night I made 3 large avocados and put maybe a teaspoon of lime juice in with the mashed avocado, and it stayed good for quite a while. If you cut it in slices, then take a slice of lime and rub each side lightly with the lime, or you can toss them with a bit of lime juice and get all the edges. It doesn't take a lot.

AZLisaLou 09-30-2015 10:09 AM

Hello, Nikki. Welcome to the group! Yes, I realize my choice of late night dinner wasn't the best, but as it was very late I didn't want to mess with anything else. Thank you for the suggestion of beans. Seems to be something I always forget about being a good source of protein.

Debbie, regarding a vegetarian/pescatarian lifestyle, it is difficult to suddenly go cold turkey. Like you said though if you slowly build your arsenal with meat free or fish dinners (I've heard they don't suffer like mammals) a little at a time, it will make the transition easier. It's a very good idea to make 1 or 2 meals a week meat free, and use other really good healthy foods for alternatives to proteins like beans (as Nikki mentioned) and nuts. My daughter was a pescatarian for 4.5 years and I cooked our regular dinner plus her modified dinner almost every night during that time. At least once a week we ate vegetarian with her. The thing that helped me tremendously was (and still is) Pinterest. If you haven't already, start an account and search for vegetarian recipes, fish recipes, etc. to get some really good ideas.

Thank you Hope! being needed is always a good thing.

So, I had a regular soda, but the rest of the day has been good. I haven't eaten anything, so maybe that's not good. But the atkins with milk is just barely now wearing off on staving my hunger. Talk about satiety!

It was called for that I should make biscuits and gravy for dinner tonight. I don't particularly care for it, so I probably will find something else for myself to eat. We don't have it very often, but man they eat it up when we do.

Our dinners lately haven't been as good as they have at some points in the past. We are really struggling financially, and it seems that good, whole foods are much more expensive. Some people say that's not true, but I believe it is. I've gone back to buying more cheap and easy convenience foods, like boxed flavored rice as the base of a meal, or like the other night we had chili dogs, and another night we had pancakes. I'm limiting my portions when we do, but I know nutritionally I've taken a dive and sold out to the packaged food industry. :( Shame on me.

libby135 09-30-2015 10:15 AM

Hi all. Today was pretty good as far as diet but still no exercise. The pain in my back was much better and I did some laundry, dishes and grocery shopping.
We are having pizza for supper because it was a quick and easy meal, just pop it in the oven. I had a 1/6 slice and a garden salad for supper. My total calories for the day is under 1,000. My foot hurts in the heal when I step out of bed in the morning and when I have been on my feet for more than a couple of hours. I hope that the pain will go away when I have lost a significant amount of weight. I would like to hear more from Niki on her weight loss and how she is eating now. I am less than 5 feet tall and can't lose weight on more than 1200 calories a day. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

nikkifanatic 09-30-2015 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by lildebbieg (Post 117876)
Hi there Nikki...I don't believe we've met? Welcome to the motivation and support thread! :D We're a small group here, so the more the merrier! I saw in another of your posts that you've lost 79 lbs.! That's incredible! I too need to eat a pretty low cal diet to see the scale move in the right direction...1100-1300 cals per day can be pretty tough. I'd love to hear what you eat on a regular basis to stay in that calorie range and feel satisfied!

Hi there Debbie.
Nice to meet you. Thanks for the welcome.

I hear you. It is tough coming up with an 1100 - 1300 calorie a day diet. It certainly takes some planning. I wish I could add more calories but right now because of my weight, I have back problems that limit my exercise to pool walking for the time being. As soon as I get some more weight off, I plan to beef up the exercise and add more calories.

Here is a sample of a typical day for me:
Breakfast:
Egg White Omelette
4 Large Egg Whites (69 calories)
1/2 Cup Chopped Onions (32 calories)
1/2 Cup Frozen Mixed Bell Pepper Strips (15)
1/2 Cup Low-Fat Cheddar Cheese, shredded (98)
2 Links Frozen (Banquet) Lite Breakfast Sausages, crumbled (74)
Breakfast Total: 288 Calories

Lunch:
Tuna Wraps w/ Cucumber Raita Sauce
2 Romaine Lettuce Leafs (10) (this takes the place of bread or a pita)
6 oz Canned Tuna, in water (197)
1 Cup Cucumber Raita Sauce (176) - made of: nonfat greek yogurt, cucumber, tomato, fresh mint & spices
Lunch Total: 383 Calories

Dinner:
1.5 Cups Homemade Chili, w 93% Lean Ground Beef (417)
1 Large Sweet Potato, baked (162)
Dinner Total: 579 Calories

Daily Breakdown:
Calories: 1250
Fat: 24.3 (17%)
Sat. Fat: 8.6 (6%)
Poly Fat: 2.0 (1%)
Mono Fat: 2.9 (2%)
Carbs: 121.7 (38%)
Fiber: 33.1
Protein: 142.2 (45%)

The Cooking Light website has some great lowfat / low-cal recipes. I get a lot of my ideas from there.

Nice to meet you and good luck. Hope to talk to you again.

01gt4.6 09-30-2015 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by lildebbieg (Post 117875)
Hi all! Still down with this cold, so still not getting in any exercise.

Sorry to hear that you are down with the sickness. :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3QmtV8vT0

AZLisaLou 09-30-2015 02:12 PM

Libby, cleaning is tough exercise! I wouldn't doubt it wore you down. It sure does me!

Hi, Mike! How is everything going? How are you doing on your goals this week?

So it ended up that I did have some biscuits and gravy...we didn't have anything else for me to make. Dammit. I forgot about rice again. Mental note for next time. I had 1 biscuit with a little sausage and gravy (milk based, so more protein and vitamins) and 1 biscuit with a smidge of butter and a smidge of jelly. I know. not healthy, huh? I'm doing so well otherwise though. Not getting into any snacks, avoided the candy aisle at the circle k, not scrounging around. I feel pretty good about my day.

I ordered Sara a water bottle with an infuser and it came today. We went to sprout's and got some of the most beautiful strawberries ever (and she confirmed the best tasting too), some lemons and some kiwi. She tried strawberry & lemon first, and let me tell you it is delicious!!! I think I could even stand to drink water with fruit mixes like that! I've had lemon water before and didn't much care for it, but with the strawberry in it it was delish! Now I'm jealous that I got her one and not me. Back to Amazon I go.

Update I just logged my food for Wednesday and I was VERY low under my goal at 1150! wow. That's the lowest I've been in forever. Bad thing is I was painfully low on fiber and a little too high on sat fats. Everything else was excellent. Need to keep this going.

AZLisaLou 09-30-2015 02:13 PM

Nikki, that looks like a really good daily menu! I'll have to check out the cooking light website. Thanks for the tip on that!