Motivation & Support 9/28-10/4

Community
Notices

Motivation & Support 9/28-10/4

Old 09-30-2015, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou
How did everyone do over the weekend?

I have a problem that I just don't know how to control. I feel like a bottomless pit. I almost always feel hungry. It's said that it takes 20 minutes for your brain to realize you've eaten and that you're full. Last night I had 1 hot dog and a small handful of bbq chips with diet soda. Even after I ate I was famished. I wanted to go down and eat a whole other meal. and sometimes I do honestly. I sat with myself though thinking if I wait a few minutes, then a few more minutes and a few more that eventually I'll not be hungry. People, it took my brain 1 full hour to tell me that I ate and wasn't hungry! How do I combat this? And please don't say "drink a glass of water". I've tried this many times and it makes no difference. I drink a lot of fluids while I'm eating and otherwise. I honestly don't know how to keep my eating under control when I constantly feel hungry and deprived.

Goals for the week:
1. easy on the sugared soda
2. 1 atkins w/ milk / day
3. control portions
Hi Lisa,
You probably need more protein and GOOD fats in your diet. Soda (even diet) and chips are pure carbs and soda of any kind can actually stimulate appetite. I've been sticking to a diet of just 1100 - 1300 calories per day and feel satisfied with the foods that I'm eating but if it's any consolation, even I'd feel hungry after the meal you listed.

In place of the chips, next time maybe try some baked beans with that hot dog. They're loaded with protein and beans are really filling (you just have to watch the calories b/c they are high in calories).

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! Still down with this cold, so still not getting in any exercise. Once I feel up to it, I'll be hitting the bike and elliptical hard!

On another topic, last night a friend shared a post on Facebook (why do I keep getting sucked into Facebook!!?!?!) that showed the treatment of pigs and cows in the 'meat industry'. I was blubbering like a baby...seriously!! Made me feel sick to actually witness what goes on!! I knew it was bad...I mean how can it be good right? But to see the actual pain and cruelty was completely shocking to me! I've contemplated vegetarianism (and/or pescatarian) on and off for years, but it seems like another level of stress in my life...it's hard enough to feed my family as it is so if I went veg it would make things that much harder. Selfish thought I know.... Maybe I should start to plan some meatless meals or at the very least more fish meals (assuming fish don't feel the same level of feelings as mammals?) and then once I have enough veg meals in my arsenal, I can possibly make the switch. I really can't get those images out of my head!

Lisa - Thanks for the pep talk! I know you know a thing or two about keeping balanced. I'm taking your advice of self reflection and working on my own balancing act As for healthy fats in my diet, I mostly get healthy fats from fatty fish like salmon and from olive or canola oil in dressings. I do love avocado, but they go brown so quickly after cutting and nobody else in my house eats them so I usually just don't bother buying them. Do you know of a way to keep them from oxidizing? I get you on the realizing we're aging and these health conditions we once read about that affected 'old' people now applies to us! LOL!! ahem...not funny...but you know what I mean right? It's a good time to be proactive instead of waiting for something to happen and having to be reactive.

Libby - So what's up with your foot? Where is the pain? As you know I was dealing with a foot injury in August and I guess I still am in a way...but I'm no longer in pain. Have you seen a doctor or physiotherapist yet? Sorry if you've already answered all these questions...I guess I missed it.

Hope - I picked up all the ingredients to make Tom Yum Goong (Thai hot & sour soup with shrimp....but it sounds way more fancy to say Tom Yum Goong ) That's what's on my (pescatarian) menu for dinner tonight...well at least for me...nobody else in my house will try it...let you know how it turns out and share the recipe if you're intersted!!

Have an awesome evening all!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by nikkifanatic
Hi Lisa,
You probably need more protein and GOOD fats in your diet. Soda (even diet) and chips are pure carbs and soda of any kind can actually stimulate appetite. I've been sticking to a diet of just 1100 - 1300 calories per day and feel satisfied with the foods that I'm eating but if it's any consolation, even I'd feel hungry after the meal you listed.

In place of the chips, next time maybe try some baked beans with that hot dog. They're loaded with protein and beans are really filling (you just have to watch the calories b/c they are high in calories).

Good luck.
Hi there Nikki...I don't believe we've met? Welcome to the motivation and support thread! We're a small group here, so the more the merrier! I saw in another of your posts that you've lost 79 lbs.! That's incredible! I too need to eat a pretty low cal diet to see the scale move in the right direction...1100-1300 cals per day can be pretty tough. I'd love to hear what you eat on a regular basis to stay in that calorie range and feel satisfied!
Old 09-30-2015, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie...Put a little lime or lemon juice in with the avocado and it will help them to not turn brown as fast. Last night I made 3 large avocados and put maybe a teaspoon of lime juice in with the mashed avocado, and it stayed good for quite a while. If you cut it in slices, then take a slice of lime and rub each side lightly with the lime, or you can toss them with a bit of lime juice and get all the edges. It doesn't take a lot.

Last edited by AZLisaLou; 09-30-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hello, Nikki. Welcome to the group! Yes, I realize my choice of late night dinner wasn't the best, but as it was very late I didn't want to mess with anything else. Thank you for the suggestion of beans. Seems to be something I always forget about being a good source of protein.

Debbie, regarding a vegetarian/pescatarian lifestyle, it is difficult to suddenly go cold turkey. Like you said though if you slowly build your arsenal with meat free or fish dinners (I've heard they don't suffer like mammals) a little at a time, it will make the transition easier. It's a very good idea to make 1 or 2 meals a week meat free, and use other really good healthy foods for alternatives to proteins like beans (as Nikki mentioned) and nuts. My daughter was a pescatarian for 4.5 years and I cooked our regular dinner plus her modified dinner almost every night during that time. At least once a week we ate vegetarian with her. The thing that helped me tremendously was (and still is) Pinterest. If you haven't already, start an account and search for vegetarian recipes, fish recipes, etc. to get some really good ideas.

Thank you Hope! being needed is always a good thing.

So, I had a regular soda, but the rest of the day has been good. I haven't eaten anything, so maybe that's not good. But the atkins with milk is just barely now wearing off on staving my hunger. Talk about satiety!

It was called for that I should make biscuits and gravy for dinner tonight. I don't particularly care for it, so I probably will find something else for myself to eat. We don't have it very often, but man they eat it up when we do.

Our dinners lately haven't been as good as they have at some points in the past. We are really struggling financially, and it seems that good, whole foods are much more expensive. Some people say that's not true, but I believe it is. I've gone back to buying more cheap and easy convenience foods, like boxed flavored rice as the base of a meal, or like the other night we had chili dogs, and another night we had pancakes. I'm limiting my portions when we do, but I know nutritionally I've taken a dive and sold out to the packaged food industry. Shame on me.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:15 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all. Today was pretty good as far as diet but still no exercise. The pain in my back was much better and I did some laundry, dishes and grocery shopping.
We are having pizza for supper because it was a quick and easy meal, just pop it in the oven. I had a 1/6 slice and a garden salad for supper. My total calories for the day is under 1,000. My foot hurts in the heal when I step out of bed in the morning and when I have been on my feet for more than a couple of hours. I hope that the pain will go away when I have lost a significant amount of weight. I would like to hear more from Niki on her weight loss and how she is eating now. I am less than 5 feet tall and can't lose weight on more than 1200 calories a day. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lildebbieg
Hi there Nikki...I don't believe we've met? Welcome to the motivation and support thread! We're a small group here, so the more the merrier! I saw in another of your posts that you've lost 79 lbs.! That's incredible! I too need to eat a pretty low cal diet to see the scale move in the right direction...1100-1300 cals per day can be pretty tough. I'd love to hear what you eat on a regular basis to stay in that calorie range and feel satisfied!
Hi there Debbie.
Nice to meet you. Thanks for the welcome.

I hear you. It is tough coming up with an 1100 - 1300 calorie a day diet. It certainly takes some planning. I wish I could add more calories but right now because of my weight, I have back problems that limit my exercise to pool walking for the time being. As soon as I get some more weight off, I plan to beef up the exercise and add more calories.

Here is a sample of a typical day for me:
Breakfast:
Egg White Omelette
4 Large Egg Whites (69 calories)
1/2 Cup Chopped Onions (32 calories)
1/2 Cup Frozen Mixed Bell Pepper Strips (15)
1/2 Cup Low-Fat Cheddar Cheese, shredded (98)
2 Links Frozen (Banquet) Lite Breakfast Sausages, crumbled (74)
Breakfast Total: 288 Calories

Lunch:
Tuna Wraps w/ Cucumber Raita Sauce
2 Romaine Lettuce Leafs (10) (this takes the place of bread or a pita)
6 oz Canned Tuna, in water (197)
1 Cup Cucumber Raita Sauce (176) - made of: nonfat greek yogurt, cucumber, tomato, fresh mint & spices
Lunch Total: 383 Calories

Dinner:
1.5 Cups Homemade Chili, w 93% Lean Ground Beef (417)
1 Large Sweet Potato, baked (162)
Dinner Total: 579 Calories

Daily Breakdown:
Calories: 1250
Fat: 24.3 (17%)
Sat. Fat: 8.6 (6%)
Poly Fat: 2.0 (1%)
Mono Fat: 2.9 (2%)
Carbs: 121.7 (38%)
Fiber: 33.1
Protein: 142.2 (45%)

The Cooking Light website has some great lowfat / low-cal recipes. I get a lot of my ideas from there.

Nice to meet you and good luck. Hope to talk to you again.

Last edited by nikkifanatic; 09-30-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lildebbieg
Hi all! Still down with this cold, so still not getting in any exercise.
Sorry to hear that you are down with the sickness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3QmtV8vT0
Old 09-30-2015, 02:12 PM
FitDay Member

Libby, cleaning is tough exercise! I wouldn't doubt it wore you down. It sure does me!

Hi, Mike! How is everything going? How are you doing on your goals this week?

So it ended up that I did have some biscuits and gravy...we didn't have anything else for me to make. Dammit. I forgot about rice again. Mental note for next time. I had 1 biscuit with a little sausage and gravy (milk based, so more protein and vitamins) and 1 biscuit with a smidge of butter and a smidge of jelly. I know. not healthy, huh? I'm doing so well otherwise though. Not getting into any snacks, avoided the candy aisle at the circle k, not scrounging around. I feel pretty good about my day.

I ordered Sara a water bottle with an infuser and it came today. We went to sprout's and got some of the most beautiful strawberries ever (and she confirmed the best tasting too), some lemons and some kiwi. She tried strawberry & lemon first, and let me tell you it is delicious!!! I think I could even stand to drink water with fruit mixes like that! I've had lemon water before and didn't much care for it, but with the strawberry in it it was delish! Now I'm jealous that I got her one and not me. Back to Amazon I go.

Update I just logged my food for Wednesday and I was VERY low under my goal at 1150! wow. That's the lowest I've been in forever. Bad thing is I was painfully low on fiber and a little too high on sat fats. Everything else was excellent. Need to keep this going.

Last edited by AZLisaLou; 09-30-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

Nikki, that looks like a really good daily menu! I'll have to check out the cooking light website. Thanks for the tip on that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.