FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivation & Accountability Thread, May 4 - 10, 2015: The Wagon Awaits -- Jump on! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/12116-motivation-accountability-thread-may-4-10-2015-wagon-awaits-jump.html)

episode2011 05-04-2015 05:13 AM

Motivation & Accountability Thread, May 4 - 10, 2015: The Wagon Awaits -- Jump on!

As I've said before, I'm not so good at making up pithy thread titles, so I borrowed this one from this week, last year (May 5, 2014). I hope Hope sees it, because it's her title! :p

Anyway, let's get this show on the road, eh?

episode2011 05-04-2015 05:34 AM

My Strategy for the Week (May 3 - May 10):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1400-1450:
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses):
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1400:
  • 7-day Rolling Average sat fat = under 18g: struggled with this one last week, hoping to do better this week
  • Macro -- 7-day Rolling Average Fats = 50-60g:
  • Macro -- 7-day Rolling Average Carbs = 125-135g:
  • Macro -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 100-110:
  • Macro -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 35-45g:
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
As I expected, making the changes to my strategy resulted in a small gain. I suspect the main reason is I've upped the calories (from an average 1100/day to 1400/day) and the body simply didn't know what to do with them all. It's a bit scary -- upping calories is counter-intuitive to the whole "Eat Less!!!" mantra. But I'm going to put my trust in the theory that too few calories causes metabolic slowdown. And it's not like "Eat Less!!!" was working like gangbusters, so...

I've lived with this body long enough to realize that it is, without a doubt, the slowest losing body IN THE WORLD. No matter what I do to try to lose weight, no matter how faithfully I stick to the plan (whatever the plan is), this body refuses to cooperate; it fights me at every turn. As if it thinks it's being paid by the pound!!! :p

In any event, I'm going to stick with this strategy for at least the next week or so, mainly because I haven't found anything else I want to substitute for it. Yet. Doesn't mean I've stopped looking :D.

canary52 05-04-2015 06:42 AM

My title yay!!!!! Thanks Epi!!!! Ok, I guess I have to join you (fake heavy sigh.) Also because I am eating everything that is not nailed down and then pulling up the nails on the other stuff and eating that too.

Goals:
1) stop eating everything that is not nailed down and then some. Get back on moderate healthy plan
2) weigh myself only once a week (Friday?)
3) WRITE
4) meditate
5) stretch
6) 6 glasses of water minimum
7) get rid of 5 papers or 3 items per day

Starting training for a new job so let's see how strenuous that is and try to fit some movement (walk, gym, dance) in.

RLSunday1 05-04-2015 09:35 AM

Re: The Wagon Awaits

I love it as I definitely need to get back on myself. Just when the pounds were rolling off and everything was booking right along –

- I got so sick based on my ability to get out of bed, motivate and self-actualize, heck by comparison I probably made heroin addicts on the nod look busily well productive.
- Despite carb intake so low the only way I should probably consume less carbs would be if I were dead my blood sugar soared.
- To make matters worse I could not go walking
- Then my computer died and kept giving me warning CPU failure messages
- Followed by the next day both my kitchen and bathroom scales going on low battery flashing frenzy alert and where I put the spares I did not remember and was too weak and tried to go looking, searching for them
AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

However I did what I could, didn't muck up too bad, did a fair job of estimating things, saw continued overall improvement of my blood sugars and though I didn't lose as much weight as quickly the second half of the month, I did still lose some. All total in April I lost 13 pounds despite the rough second half during which I only managed to lose 3.

This week my goals are different as my strategy has changed a bit. I’m back to my full dose of metformin because even though I can keep my blood sugar lower without the additional dose to do so I have to cut my carbs so low that I just can't see any way overall, long haul it could possibly be healthy or satisfying enough a diet to continue on/keep sticking with it.

My goals this week are
No fasting blood sugar over 150
No 2 hour after meal blood sugar over 140
Three meals spaced evenly apart
Limit fruit
No wheat based anything and no cereals, pasta, or potatoes.
As long as blood sugars continue to fall and I continue to lose weight without counting carbs eat as I please
If blood sugar begins climbing again back to counting carbs
Make better choices at store, last month was tough but now I have a much better idea of what and how much I should be shopping for
Check BS four times a day
Drink plenty of water

Epi – though I don’t stop losing weight if I eat very low calorie I have a similar problem in that if I don't eat enough my blood sugar will actually go up, run a little higher than if I actually eat a slightly higher amount of the right kind of calories. It seems weird with as much as diabetes instructors drive home the message about portion control, portion control, limiting calories and so on that I would actually do better on slightly more calories than less but for some weird reason that’s just how it works. I find I have to eat a certain minimum number of calories to keep my blood sugar as low as I'd like but not too much more or then it shoots way up. It’s like there is this sweet spot and I have to stay right in the middle of it and while too many calories is definitely really bad for my blood sugar at the same time too few can also give me problems as well. Not as many as over eating but enough that it’s still not a healthy choice. So like you I have to eat more calories, as counterintuitive as it seems, to reach my goals. Talk about crazy making!

AZLisaLou 05-04-2015 10:44 AM

Sunday, wow, you really have to keep things to a science for your blood sugars to not shoot up. 13 lbs in one month is fabulous! Keep it all up!

Epixi, if I eat in the 1200 calorie range I don't lose anything at all. If I eat in the 1500 range then I'm losing late at a fair clip. So I hope your strategy of upping the calories a little will prove to be a good plan for you as well. I love your energy and the vibes you put out on this forum.

Hope, hi there! Good to see you here with us!

Debbie? Annette? Becca? Mike? Who am I missing? Wish Mern and Terri were back.

I think I figured out part of my attitude problem toward losing weight. I just feel like there's no way possible for me to lose as much as I need to lose (at least 100). And not only lose it, but maintain it. I feel like I can't do this for the rest of my life. I'm feeling very discouraged. Each time I get back to my original weight, or close to it, then it's so much harder to lose the same weight (and as much) as the time before. I'm not complaining or being negative, I'm just saying what's going on in my mind and what my thinking is. I'm just at a point where I feel like it's all pointless. But I will continue to come here, get motivation from all your successes, and continue to not go crazy overboard. right now I'm happy if I maintain. I've been within the same 5 lb range for at least a month.

My weight is affecting my knees, and my back still gives me troubles. I know I need to lose and those things will heal up, as well as the high cholesterol and high glucose. Logically I know all of these things. In my heart though, it's just not there.

Goal for the week:

Work on attitude and outlook.

lildebbieg 05-04-2015 11:25 AM

Hi all :o I'm here...but my heart is not in it tonight! I'll post again later in the week if I get over my funk. Maaaannn...PMS is real! :cool:

https://batpoopcrazy.files.wordpress...4/images4.jpeg

episode2011 05-04-2015 12:58 PM

Hope: At least you're not eating the nails, themselves! Glad to see you here and thanks for coming up with the title ;).

RL: Sounds like it's a real challenge to keep the blood sugar in check. So many factors to keep in balance. And then to get sick AND have the computer and scales conk out on you... That said, 13 pounds in April, wow! And I like how you used the phrase "sweet spot". I was just thinking about that phrase this week! GMTA, right?

Lisa: You're right -- some days, some weeks, it feels like this task is insurmountable. As I've said before, this is my umpteenth time starting this journey. I think a big part is trying to sort through the mountain of material and trying to figure out how it applies to your specific body (IF it applies). A big part is simply understanding your specific body and mind. That's a lot of what you're doing now and it's good. I love your tenacity. You're going to get through this. I have faith in you.

Debbie: I don't envy you with the PMS. Ugh. Know that we're all here for you (((hugs))).

Gah -- gotta run. Didn't get to post today's results. Oh well, next time. Later, y'all! Stay strong!

rosabella2012 05-04-2015 01:26 PM

Debbie: I'm 56 and I'm right with you on PMS--it's been giving me fits for the past week!

Hope: So good to hear from you!

RL: Great job on losing 13 pounds in a MONTH! I think that's wonderful!

Lisa: Trying to figure out just what works for your body takes a lot of patience and work. You're doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

Another 1.6 pounds lost and with PMS/Mother Nature issues too! Anybody want to share what they're doing foodwise for Mother's Day? I need some ideas.
Read online: Every pound lost is a victory celebrated! I agree! Vicki

canary52 05-04-2015 02:23 PM

Goals:
1) stop eating everything that is not nailed down and then some. Get back on moderate healthy plan - N, ate the nails too yup
2) weigh myself only once a week (Friday?):Y
3) WRITE: ish
4) meditate: no
5) stretch: yes
6) 6 glasses of water minimum: ?7) get rid of 5 papers or 3 items per day: yes

It sounds like everyone is facing challenges: finding the right balance in terms of not too many, not too few calorie wise: Epi and RL you sound like you've done well with this.

Then there is the issue of getting discouraged. Lisa, please keep with it. I know it is so hard. Don't give up. Staying with anything is the hardest thing I think.

Debbie, PMS ah yesss I remember those happy happy days when the only thing that kept me from mayhem was chocolate and then something salty. Now I am in what I call mental pause. Ahahahaha. I enjoy being a girl lol during these special times. Don't you?

Rosabella, we eat at home on Mother's Day, easier on the wallet, less crowded. Usually DH makes my favorite orange chicken but this year between birthdays and other occasions, and the fact that I am getting a little fluffy again, I will be happy with a small parade in my honor, errr I mean peace and quiet. Yes. Peace. To all.

episode2011 05-04-2015 02:31 PM

Vicki: Hi there! Congratulations one 1.6!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Strategy for the Week (May 3 - May 10):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1400-1450: 1400 <--- woot, squeaked in under the wire!
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 2500mL (10+ 8oz glasses): 3191
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1400: 1121
  • 7-day Rolling Average sat fat = under 18g: 19
  • Macro -- 7-day Rolling Average Fats = 50-60g: 60
  • Macro -- 7-day Rolling Average Carbs = 125-135g: 145
  • Macro -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 100-110: 85
  • Macro -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 35-45g: 31
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
    • Monday: Purchased a small pack of protein powder. Haven't done anything with it yet, it's just in the pantry. Waiting...
I'm hitting the mark on calories, for the most part. Now it's just a matter of switching up the components. A little less carbs, a little more protein. I can do this.