FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivation and Accountability Thread Mar 23-29....change the plan but never the goal (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/11953-motivation-accountability-thread-mar-23-29-change-plan-but-never-goal.html)

lildebbieg 03-23-2015 01:46 AM

Motivation and Accountability Thread Mar 23-29....change the plan but never the goal

Good Monday morning Fitdayers. I struggled last week. I'm not sure if it's because my schedule was off with the kids being on Spring break or just boredom in my current plan? Whatever the reason was, I feel more focused again and ready to do my best!

I've been contemplating getting a gym membership again to change things up. I'm pretty well equipped to workout at home, but going back to a gym would give me more variety. Then I start thinking about how much easier it is to workout at home...no lugging my stuff to the gym to shower and get ready for work after my morning workout. Then the cycle starts where I can't make up my mind about what to do. This was where my head was at last week. So yesterday I finally made a decision to order a dvd program to do at home. I'm hoping I'll learn a few new things that I can incorporate into my home workouts. I know I'll inevitably get bored with the new program but it will change things up enough for the time being to keep me going.

This brings me to the motivational quote of the week. "Change the plan but never the goal" . If what you've been doing is growing stale, don't be afraid to change things up. Sometimes boredom in our menus or in our exercise regime can really affect our drive....at least I know that's true for myself. This week, I'm going to try at least 2 new recipes and start a new workout regime to see if that keeps the fire burning brighter. Anybody else find that boredom can throw you off track? Is anyone planning anything new for the week?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7dfb6041ec.jpg

Wishing everyone a fantastic week!

simplybea 03-23-2015 02:15 AM

Good morning Everyone

Hi Debbie!!

I survived the weekend!
(And ANOTHER &*^&^&* Snowstorm!)

The change up I would like is sunshine and grass, as opposed to snow up to my ass!!
There is nowhere to walk, I need sun and warmish weather and the boardwalk and open water <sigh>

canary52 03-23-2015 02:24 AM

Good morning, all!

Hi Debbie,

How are you? So good to see you here.

I can really relate to your post. I started a very healthy plan a month or so ago and then stress derailed me. I was going to start back on it again but I am really tired this morning and really wanted an egg, shiitake mushroom and goat cheese sandwich. I had been doing no bread, no diary. But I had it on sugar free bread and that's it. ( this after binging on Asian food,pizza, etc. last night.)
I can understand what it's like to make a decision to join a gym and then question that decision- I go back and forth on so many things. But I think that doing what you did, choosing something you can work with for now, is a good plan.
For me, small goals: I would like to drink more water. And clean things up bit by bit in my house. I always write these long lists I find hard to maintain. So that's it, my new plan, think smaller: more water, slowly clean house. Baby steps.

Hi Bea! I'm with you! I wanna walk in the sunshine!! Though I really have no right to complain, I was gone most of the winter. Being back: brrrrrrrr. But not here on FD; here it is warm.

Hugs to ya,
Hope

rainbow24 03-23-2015 03:59 AM

Yes, I need to change things up.

1st and most important change - only buy ice cream that has an allergy warning label on it. That way I won't eat it.

2nd change - Eat like I'm living in the 10th century during the day. With the exception of breakfast which I require certain items to go with my meds.
For a monk that would be one meal a day consisting of a soup similar to the one I made for the weekend. Legumes instead of meat, except on special days, then fish is allowed.

For a Viking that would be two meals a day, consisting of similar foods to a monk's special days.
Since I am writing the monk/Viking story starting April 1, I need to get into the "zone" of the century. Hmmm... maybe I should be writing about firemen or cowboys. Just saying...

In monk mode I will do a lot of outside work. My yard will get cleaned up. I will also get plenty of prayer time. Not to mention chanting.

Once I am in Viking mode, I will get more active pursuits. Hiking to the top of the hill, attacking the villagers, general pillaging and creating mayhem. Lots of working out.

Of course I will translate all of this to modern day activities. I intend to pillage Sears with my credit card and return home with the spoils. A dishwasher. This will leave me more time for diet, exercise, and planning for health.

episode2011 03-23-2015 04:20 AM

HOPE!!!

(((hug))) (((hug))) (((hug)))

When I first saw the screenname Canary52, I said to myself, could it be??? Then I read the post and saw the signature. It's you! How've you been? Good to see you :).

episode2011 03-23-2015 04:39 AM

Good morning, Debbie, Bea and Annette! Didin't mean to slight you folks -- I just got distracted when I saw Hope 'cause I haven't seen her in a few years :).

My Strategy for the Week (March 23 - March 29):
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300:
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 1500mL:
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500:
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g:
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater:
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130 (*NEW!*):
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g:
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
Mostly, the list is the same. I added a new line, however. I want to start taking a look at net carbs. For the last few weeks, my Total Carbs have been in the 150 to 170 range, with Net Carbs being about 135. I want to gradually bring this down. The plan is to increase fiber (I'm still struggling with this) while simultaneously decreasing Total Carbs. Tricky, especially when trying to keep sodium and sat-fat low while keeping calories steady.

I think I did pretty well last week (I updated the progress on last week's thread). I'm hoping I will do as well this week. Right now, I see no reason why I can't.

canary52 03-23-2015 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by episode2011 (Post 115155)
HOPE!!!

When I first saw the screenname Canary52, I said to myself, could it be??? Then I read the post and saw the signature. It's you! How've you been? Good to see you :).

Thank you for this beautiful greeting! Wow! Thank you.

Yes it's me. I'm back. (This is a Robin Williams joke DH and I quote. I think it was of Williams as a politician pretending to pull off a mask revealing himself as Nixon - hmmm loses something in translation I must say.)

How ARE you?

Missed you FD peeps. I must say Annette as a Viking pillaging Sears cracked me up.

Built 03-23-2015 12:13 PM

Hi everyone!

Debbie, it's sort of ironic that I work in a gym, but prefer a lot of times to work out at home. Lots of interruptions at gym. Sounds like the new DVD may be just what you need. I took a Pure Barre class when we were getting hit with snow (nothing like Canada:)) and I had lots of cancellations. OMG--I've been training since 2002, but not like that!

This week I begin a nutrition class as part on my continuing education. (more irony!) I don't know how I'll balance the additional load. Ended up getting out an appt. book that's divided by 15 min. It's helping me (so far) not to drop too many balls.

Annette, love your idea of incorporating your passion with your exercise/nutrition. Talk about keeping things new!

Hope everyone has a great start of this week!

AZLisaLou 03-23-2015 04:20 PM

Happy new week everyone!

HOPE! Hi there!!!

Annette, very interesting approach to get into the mood of the periods you're into. Enjoy your pillaging and monk/viking menus.

Hi, Epi,

Beth, If you learn something new and interesting in your nutrition class, please share.

Bea, I hope you get your warmer weather soon!

Not a great start to my week today, but not completely horrible. My goal is still the same...to not focus so much on the numbers, but to try to acquire better habits and better decision making skills when it comes to when, what, and how much I eat.

My big beast of the week, though....trying to get off regular coke and try water. I went from 2 6 packs a day of mountain dew to 1.5 liters/day of Sprite Zero. Then I tried Crystal Light, then I went to water. But the water didn't last long. Then I got hooked again on regular soda. Just like being addicted to smoking or alcohol, when you have one the cycle starts all over again. Ever since I stopped smoking I frequently (at least a couple x's a week) dream that I'm smoking, taking veerrrry long drags and enjoying the sensation of it, then when I wake up I don't crave it at all. Maybe if I stop the soda I can dream about it with a cigarette in one hand and a thirst buster in the other and be satisfied when I wake up. lol

Hope everyone has a really good week!

AZLisaLou 03-23-2015 07:12 PM

Midnight. Wide awake as usual. This is the danger zone because I want to eat everything. I'm asking myself the following questions:
  • Am I bored?
  • Am I anxious?
  • Am I thirsty?
  • Am I depressed?
  • Or am I truly hungry?
The answer is all but the last one. No, I'm not truly hungry but I am so fighting the urge to go down and eat eat eat. Was thinking peanut butter and celery...multiple peanut butter and celery. Then I was thinking, "I wonder if Nutella and celery would be good?" I'm thinking a Poptart sounds gourmet right about now. I could dig in to the loaf of French bread down there. ugh. Please, brain, stop obsessing over food!!!

JenniferP1 03-24-2015 02:35 AM

I am a newbie to the weekly accountability. I am hoping that this is the motivation I need. I can relate to a few of these posts! I am hoping with the nice weather (sorry to those who still have snow) I can get outside and start to change up my routine. I have a bad case of the winter doldrums!

The idea of getting motivation from the different periods is neat.

I completely understand wanting to stop drinking coke. I struggled with that for a long time! I went from coke to diet coke to sprite zero to water. Occasionally I still really want sprite zero but it is not easy to find where I live so that helps. When the cravings get really bad, I use True Lemon lemonade in my water....doesn't completely stop the craving but it helps.

This week, I am going to work on getting in all my exercise time and also staying in my calorie intake goal. I have some deadlines this week that are causing me a little bit of stress.....going to work hard to avoid stress eating!!!

episode2011 03-24-2015 02:41 AM

Lisa: I'm an ex-smoker, too! Smoked all through high school. Most of us did; that's how we spent lunch and study hall (we were allowed to smoke outside on school grounds back then). Interestingly enough, that's also when I was at my lowest weight (I'd been "the chubby kid" all though elementary and Jr. High). Once I quit, all the childhood weight came back, accompanied by a whole bunch of additional weight. Ugh. It has been decades, and dozens of pounds, since my last cigarette but I haven't regretted the decision for even one day. I hope you don't regret your decision, either.

Beth: I echo what Lisa said -- please share some info from your class when/if you can.

Annette: Pillaging Sears. That gave me a chuckle!

Bea: All shoveled out? Bet you can't wait for Spring. It's close. I saw my first robin a few days ago. And a brilliant bluejay.

Debbie: I agree with you about changing course. Mixing things up, keeping it fresh, trying/learning new things, that's what is helping me to keep plugging along. Have you had a chance to try out the new DVD yet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1210
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 1500mL: 3826
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1166
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 15
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130 (*NEW!*): 131
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 57
  • Explore! Try something new or do some nutrition-related research at least 2 times:
Not a bad start to the week. One thing I've decided. If I don't get the bulk of the calories in before 8pm, I'm just going to give up for the day. Last night, I realized I hadn't had eaten enough, so I ate more than I usually do, just to meet calorie quotas. It was good stuff (chicken, broccoli, brown rice), but I felt uncomfortably full afterwards. From here on, I'm going to try to not force calories if I'm already full. I'll need to eat more during the day so I don't have to load up at night just to meet quota.

episode2011 03-24-2015 02:44 AM

Hi, Jennifer! You posted while I was composing my post, otherwise I'd have said Hi earlier :) Welcome to the circle!

lildebbieg 03-24-2015 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by episode2011 (Post 115171)
Debbie: I agree with you about changing course. Mixing things up, keeping it fresh, trying/learning new things, that's what is helping me to keep plugging along. Have you had a chance to try out the new DVD yet?

Unfortunately no. I woke up yesterday morning with my SI joint seized. Not sure what I did to cause that? I went to the chiropractor this morning so hopefully it starts to feel better by tomorrow maybe? My neck and back are an ongoing problem...but I try my best not to let it hold me down for long ;)

AZLisaLou 03-24-2015 06:04 PM

Not a great day, but I'm not going to complain too much. I make my decisions, good and bad, and I have to live with them. Good dinner, bad snacks.

Welcome, Jennifer!

Epi, I didn't really gain much weight when I stopped. I was already fat! :o I smoked for a total of 20 years. Started when I was 12, doing a pack a day by 18. They were only $1/pack back then, lol. Got hypnotized when I was 21, started again when I was maybe 33. 2nd time I quit i did it with Chantix and had not a single withdrawal. Expensive, but it sure did work! I am thankful I made the decision and was able to pull it off. After several years I still have a permanent light wheeze when I'm winded. My husband, a non-smoker, and my kids are so grateful that I quit. Like I said, I just dream about it and it gives me a subconscious fix of sorts, but when I wake up I'm really glad it was just a dream.

Debbie, so sorry to hear you've got an injury!!! I hope the chiropractor works for you and you're back at you're routine quickly.

simplybea 03-25-2015 02:21 AM

Hi Everyone!
Welcome Jennifer!

The sun is shining, and even though it is below freezing, snow is SLOWLY melting.
Our banks might be down 8 inches in the last 2-3 days, at this rate, they will be gone by June!! :D

rainbow24 03-25-2015 03:18 AM

Welcome, Jennifer. I am a bit of a special case. I am a writer and working myself up to an April 1 start on a medieval novel.

Synopsis:
Gafne hails from Ireland where he is accused of impregnating the wife of one of the clan leaders. He didn't do it, but without proof, he is exiled to a set of islands North of what we know as Scotland. There he sets about proving his accusers true with the women of the villages. Finally, he takes it too far and is banished to the monastery on a nearly unreachable island.
Gavriila comes from Norway with her people. Their goal is to colonize the islands. The people already inhabiting the land either flee, be killed, or submit to slavery. Monks do not fetch a very high price, so they are left alone, but she is intrigued by one man. If only she could see him up close. Perhaps he is old and weak. But there is no way onto the island where he lives. The cliffs are too steep to climb and yet somehow they managed to get there.

Back to real life:
Rain here. My cats were outside for 15 minutes and came in soaked through. I have to work outside today.
Oats for breakfast today, and root vegetable soup for lunch. Dinner tonight is fish with rice.

episode2011 03-25-2015 03:40 AM

Debbie: I had no idea what a SI joint was, so I googled it. Yikes, if one of those thing hurt, ow ow ow ow ow! Hope it's feeling better today.

Lisa: Has your sense of smell improved since you quit? Mine has. In many ways (passing by a garden), that's a good thing. In many others (passing by a bathroom), not so much :).

Bea: Sounds like you're going to go straight to Summer. No Spring at all. On the plus side, it'll be July before the grass gets tall enough to require mowing :).

• 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1210, 1211
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 1500mL: 3826, 3961
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1166, 1216
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 15, 16
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130 (*NEW!*): 131, 127
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 57, 58
    • Tuesday: Did some research on the effects of an ultra-low calorie diet (at 1100 calories per day on average, I wasn't *ultra* low was lower than I should have been -- working on correcting that)
    • Tuesday: In an attempt to bump up fiber without loads of extra carbs, I tried fiber gummies. I'm not a big gummy fan, but these were somewhat tolerable. 11 grams of carbs, 8 of which are FIBER (booyah!), made them even more tolerable. And, they only added 50 calories per serving. I can do this.
I tried to get the bulk of my eating done earlier in the day yesterday. As a result, I didn't need to load up in the evening. It was much more comfortable. My Average Calories have been creeping up and that's a good thing. I hope the scale decides to cooperate with this new scheme.

LHall1965 03-25-2015 10:40 AM

Happy Mid week everyone. Glad I had some time to catch up on all the posts.

Welcome to the new faces - this has been a great thread to keep me motivated and encouraged.

Bea- I can't wait til Spring here either. They are calling for snow again tomorrow and I have been really struggling this winter.

Epixi- I tried a fiber powder that you could mix into food. It has no taste and you can mix it into anything but hot liquids. I used to add it to my yogurt for breakfast. Give yogurt another shot - I don't care for the greek yogurt, but they now have so many flavors and textures. I really liked the orange whipped.

Annette - I love to read and especially those set in historical times. I think it is so cool that you try to get into the period.

Debbie hope you are feeling better. I love your thread this week. I was just thinking that I have been eating the same thing every morning for almost a month and I went to make it Monday and just couldn't even look at it. lol
I have been toasting a low-cal English muffin with some peanut butter. I keep it at 300 calories but thinking now of switching to oatmeal for a while.

Lisa - I am so sorry on the setback for your insurance. I too am taking baby steps and it is one day at a time. Sometimes even one meal at a time!

I had a pretty busy weekend but managed to stay on track and did not gain so really hoping to be down by Friday!

lildebbieg 03-25-2015 10:54 AM

hi all :) I swear I feel like a broken record (or a broken woman I should say ;)) with the amount of times I complain about my neck and back. It's been an ongoing issue for as long as I can remember. At the moment, it's wearing me down, but the second I feel the slightest bit better I'll be back at it! Hopefully that's soon :o

AZLisaLou 03-25-2015 05:13 PM

Epi, I really didn't notice that I had a problem with taste or smell when I was smoking, so it didn't seem any different when I stopped. I do notice that my car, hair and clothes don't stink any more.

Debbie, I'm so sorry for you. Don't rush back to your routine too soon that you may just reinjure yourself.

Lynda, yes, baby steps are all I can handle. I did manage to not go out the door to get a milkshake. I did, however, eat too many Ritz crackers instead. I'm unbearable to myself!

I've got nothing positive to say today about my progress, so I will just give you all an encouraging hug.

canary52 03-26-2015 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by episode2011 (Post 115155)
HOPE!!!

Hey Epi!!! Great to see you!!! I've been fine, riding the roller coaster that is life lol. Good to be back. How are you, my dear?

canary52 03-26-2015 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou (Post 115164)
Midnight. Wide awake as usual. This is the danger zone because I want to eat everything. I'm asking myself the following questions:
  • Am I bored?
  • Am I anxious?
  • Am I thirsty?
  • Am I depressed?
  • Or am I truly hungry?
The answer is all but the last one. No, I'm not truly hungry but I am so fighting the urge to go down and eat eat eat. Was thinking peanut butter and celery...multiple peanut butter and celery. Then I was thinking, "I wonder if Nutella and celery would be good?" I'm thinking a Poptart sounds gourmet right about now. I could dig in to the loaf of French bread down there. ugh. Please, brain, stop obsessing over food!!!

Hi Lisa!!! I am so with you on this!!!!! I've got to ask these questions and the answer will be the same as yours. I must stop this madness which brings me back to specific goals.

canary52 03-26-2015 02:16 AM

Time for me to get real ( never too late)

Goals:
1) drink 6 glasses of water daily
2) no oil except olive
3) low to no sugar
4) throw out 5 pieces of paper or give away 3 items a day
5) clean up my house and my act!
6) rest when I need it; stop trying to "push through" and don't feel guilty
7) no more binge eating. Be mindful.

Welcome Jennifer!!! The above list is "old school." How we used to (and still sometimes) do it.

AZLisaLou 03-26-2015 03:36 AM

Hope, I'm not happy that you deal with some of the same issues as I do. On the other hand, it's good to know that I'm not alone and that there's understanding and support out there (and right here).

I was up all night (since about 8:30 last night...it's now 8:30am). I ate leftover chicken/rice/broccoli/cheese stuff. I drank an Atkins w/ milk. This morning, which in my world is kind of like dinner time, I was absolutely starving. All I could find was hot dogs. I had two, and I'm still famished. I've been taking sips of soda throughout the night, but I'm at least happy to report that I drank 1/2 liter of water in the last little while and have another liter on my desk next to me. Oh, and I also had a 2nd go on the last little bit of leftover dinner a little while ago (it was only 4 or 5 bites worth that was left).

WIN!!! Oh, I forgot I did this. I went to Walmart at 5:30am. I was thinking about all the good yummy things I could get to eat. mini powdered donuts were high on the list. But I walked out of there with only what was on my list.

Another WIN!!!! After I dropped Sara off I really wanted to go to the McD's drive thru and get a sausage egg mcmuffin. and apple pies. and a soda (large). But I didn't; I went straight home. I wish I felt better about those two good things I did, but all I can think about is the two hot dogs that weren't good for me.

Also, they say it takes the brain 15-20 minutes to realize you've eaten and that you're full. I ate those two hot dogs an hour ago and my brain never realized I ate or something because my stomach is growling and I'm truly hungry. Two hot dogs on buns should be enough, but it doesn't appear to be and that's discouraging.

Hope you all have a good day reaching your goals!

episode2011 03-26-2015 04:29 AM

Hope: Life on my side has roller-coastered, too, since last time we spoke. Not good and bad, just here and there and extremely frantic. Good frantic, though. Unfortunately, as so often happens, weight crept back on. Anyway, love your list! And yes, my list is "old school" too :).

Lisa: You said you have "nothing positive to say" about your progress, but I do. You are still here! When most folks would have given up and given in, you've been dugging down deep and keep plugging away. You have been facing challenges with a strength that I bet you didn't know you had. I admire your tenacity -- I know things are going to work out.

• 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1210, 1211, 1219
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 1500mL: 3826, 3961, 4028 <--- woot woot!
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1166, 1216, 1288
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15, 15
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 15, 16, 18 <---highest ever!
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130 (*NEW!*): 131, 127, 125
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 57, 58, 61 <---Nice!
    • Tuesday: Did some research on the effects of an ultra-low calorie diet (at 1100 calories per day on average, I wasn't *ultra* low, but was lower than I should have been -- working on correcting that)
    • Tuesday: In an attempt to bump up fiber without loads of extra carbs, I tried fiber gummies. I'm not a big gummy fan, but these were somewhat tolerable. 11 grams of carbs, 8 of which are FIBER (booyah!), made them even more tolerable. And, they only added 50 calories per serving. I can do this.
    • Wednesday: Did some reading about loose skin (not that I've gotten to that point yet) and how the speed of loss affects skin elasticity.
    • Wednesday: Did some research on hummis. I've never tasted it. Sounds intriguing and since I love chickpeas, this sounds like something I'll like!
Things are humming right along here. No complaints. I think I've gotten into the groove (much better than getting into a rut :D).

canary52 03-26-2015 05:13 AM

Lisa, I am glad you listed the positive things, like not getting those donuts and Mc'Ds. Even though I ate too much yesterday, when I did not give into some urges they went away. Also for me, sugar and certain carbs kick my appetite into overdrive. And quitting smoking (so good) does tend to increase appetite but that goes away.

Epi, I am glad it has been "good frantic." And YAAAAAAYYYY for old school!!!! You're doing really well with it. Hummus is wonderful. I love it with carrots and red pepper strips. Be careful with those fiber gummies; they can be tough on the tummy. I love the groove vs. rut.

AZLisaLou 03-26-2015 12:29 PM

Epi, thank you so very much for such positive encouragement and reinforcement. I really do appreciate the thought you put into that. Yes, I am still here. I may be down, but I am NOT out.

Hope, sweets trigger my appetite. Oh, how I love them so! :rolleyes:

I've been gaining weight this week. I need to get back to the business of calorie management now that I've gotten past my huge binge attacks and am now on smaller ones. I'm creeping back up to my highest weight, and that has me down. I'm going to keep up the fight to get back down to it and keep on ingraining some positive habits into my head.

JenniferP1 03-26-2015 03:28 PM

Ahhh. Finally I can sit and catch up. This week has been a tad stressful. Deadlines met and I am pleased with the work. Whew. I have tried to stay within my calorie goal. Stress eating got the best of me. Each day I was over, some days more then others. I did stay mindful of my exercise and water intake. I was successful on each of those goals.

One positive. Tonight.....at dinner of course, the family discussion was how mom can better deal with stress without chocolate and how can we help. Not sure where it will go but it is nice to know they support me.

canary52 03-27-2015 01:26 AM

Debbie, I hope you feel better. Please do not worry (at least speaking for me) about sharing what's going on with you. Being in pain sucks (I don't have to tell you, I'm sure): so challenging, physically, mentally, emotionally. I am in a fibro flare now, went to FL and was doing great, came back to NY and weather and stress slammed me. Trying not to let it get me down. So let's send healing wishes back and forth!!!

I was a soda drinker but gave it up altho every now and then I slip and have some diet soda. But I know it soooooo bad for me that I make myself stop. DD is home and has it in the house; I have to just ignore it. Bought some flavored seltzer. Drinking more water: that is my challenge. I take tiny baby sips; my family makes fun of me. But I know I am always dehydrated and feel better and lose more weight when I drink water.

I smoked from age 12 to 26. I quit when my Dad died as a tribute to him. He quit when my Mom died of a heart attack when I was 12 (He said, "You lost one parent; you shouldn't lose two.") He smoked 4 packs a day. I figured it he could do it.... I tried to take up running but didn't stay with it. I gained some weight, I think, but it was worth it. My weight has always gone up and down.

Now due to crappy weather, feeling crappy, I have been eating nonstop; weight is going back up. A friend of mine has an online weight loss or maintenance challenge going and I might join just for motivation.

canary52 03-27-2015 01:31 AM

Goals:
1) drink 6 glasses of water daily - didn't count but no :(
2) no oil except olive : no
3) low to no sugar: yes
4) throw out 5 pieces of paper or give away 3 items a day: much more; yes
5) clean up my house and my act! yes
6) rest when I need it; stop trying to "push through" and don't feel guilty: yes
7) no more binge eating. Be mindful: so so

episode2011 03-27-2015 02:56 AM

Pressed for time -- will come back later with comments.

• 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1210, 1211, 1219, 1245
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 1500mL: 3826, 3961, 4028, 3957
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1166, 1216, 1288, 1312
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15, 15, 16 <--- boo hiss, wrong way
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 15, 16, 18, 20 <---highest ever!
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130 (*NEW!*): 131, 127, 125, 128
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 57, 58, 61, 60
    • Tuesday: Did some research on the effects of an ultra-low calorie diet (at 1100 calories per day on average, I wasn't *ultra* low, but was lower than I should have been -- working on correcting that)
    • Wednesday: Did some reading about loose skin (not that I've gotten to that point yet) and how the speed of loss affects skin elasticity.
    • Wednesday: Did some research on hummus. I've never tasted it. Sounds intriguing and since I love chickpeas, this sounds like something I'll like!
    • Thursday: Bought AND TRIED the hummus with some baby carrots. Eh, not my style. But I DID try it, so that's a win. Back to lite ranch dip for me.

lildebbieg 03-27-2015 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 115222)
Debbie, I hope you feel better. Please do not worry (at least speaking for me) about sharing what's going on with you. Being in pain sucks (I don't have to tell you, I'm sure): so challenging, physically, mentally, emotionally. I am in a fibro flare now, went to FL and was doing great, came back to NY and weather and stress slammed me. Trying not to let it get me down. So let's send healing wishes back and forth!!!

Thank you Hope! I really needed to read a supportive post right about now! So glad you're posting again :)

episode2011 03-27-2015 03:23 PM

Done eating for today, so may as well get the update done while my phone charges.

• 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1210, 1211, 1219, 1245, 1248
  • 7-day Rolling Average water/tea, minimum 1500mL: 3826, 3961, 4028, 3957, 3960
  • 7-day Rolling Average sodium = 1000-1500: 1166, 1216, 1288, 1312, 1318
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Sat-Fat = under 15g: 15, 15, 15, 16, 15
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Fiber = 15g or greater: 15, 16, 18, 20, 23 <---a new record high!
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Net Carbs = under 130 (*NEW!*): 131, 127, 125, 128, 130 <---whoops
  • Extra Credit -- 7-day Rolling Average Protein = 50-75g: 57, 58, 61, 60, 60
    • Wednesday: Did some research on hummus. I've never tasted it. Sounds intriguing and since I love chickpeas, this sounds like something I'll like!
    • Thursday: Bought AND TRIED the hummus with some baby carrots. Eh, not my style. But I DID try it, so that's a win. Back to lite ranch dip for me.
Had half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich today, which was what pushed me over my typical daily calories. I really could have done without it, but it called to me. The good news, it was double-fiber, whole wheat, whole grain bread. The better news, it was absolutely delicious :D. Haven't had a PB&J in at least a month.

Have a good night folks -- see ya tomorrow!

AZLisaLou 03-27-2015 06:34 PM

Epi, You're doing so well on your goals. You should be really proud of your accomplishments! I've tried hummus several times. I keep thinking that I should like it. I've tried different brands, plain and flavored, always the same result...ick. lol and I like chickpeas too! Good going on your goals. Even the ones in red are borderline.

Debbie,
How are you feeling? Is the pain easing up?

Hope, so sorry to hear you're having a fibro flare! My mom has fm and I know what it does to her. I second the motion to stop being the superhero and "pushing through" when you're tired. I can see how that may be necessary now and then, but when done regularly it can really do some damage. Be nice to yourself and let yourself rest and recharge.

Hi, Jennifer!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to a group seminar on weight loss surgery. I keep thinking this is the way i want to go in the not so distant future, and since it can sometimes be a long process going through all the hoops for insurance I'm going to start now. I can always change my mind if I become doubtful or unsure, but I want to get the ball rolling sooner than later.

We've had the same insurance through hubs' work since he's been with the union (maybe 9 years or so?) but he said that they may change from Blue Cross Blue Shield to Cigna. I'm a little concerned because I liked our coverage plan with BCBS. Lower deductible, no referrals or office copays. And once a couple years ago I called and asked if weight loss surgery was covered and they said it was. I hope it is with Cigna too. I don't do well with changes like that.

I've got orders for 4 more bags already. :) The woman who bought the pink one is now the envy of her friends. Two of them requested breast cancer awareness. There was only 1 fabric at the store that was BCA, so they will both have the same fabric. The trick is to make them unique by doing different embellishment styles on the front. I finished the first one yesterday and I love love love it. I hope I can come up with something equally as nice so one doesn't feel like they're getting the shaft.

Wishing everyone a good weekend.

AZLisaLou 03-27-2015 06:37 PM

Oh, Epi, I just thought of something. If you like chickpeas too I have a recipe that IS good that is an avocado hummus with avocados and chickpeas. Let me know if you want the recipe. Good fats and lots of fiber!

lildebbieg 03-28-2015 03:21 AM

Hi all, My back/hip is feeling much better. I'd love to know what I did to deserve that one! Sheesh! Nothing like waking up and your SI is seized. I'm sure it's age....pffft! :cool:

Had a rough week in more ways that one, but ready to put it behind me and forge forward! I'll be starting the new workouts (that I had planned to start this past week) Monday. I'm travelling over the Easter weekend, so I won't be able to follow the whole plan, but at least I'll get a few days in before we leave and I'll just pick up where I left off the following week.

Lisa - I love hummus!! I could eat the stuff straight from the container with a spoon....which I've actually done on many occasion...LOL! Glad to hear you're starting your research and support on your planned surgery. It's wise to be informed before making a final decision. How awesome that you're getting so many bag orders!!

Epixi - You inspire me with your gaol setting!! I'm going to follow your lead again this coming week and set out some weekly goals to aim for. It really does help me to stay in line!

Hope - Being in pain is so tiring...agreed! How are you feeling today? When you're in a flare, how long does it typically last? Hope you're having a good day toady :)

Jennifer - Sounds like you are doing very well hitting your goals. Good job!

As for the discussion regarding smoking, I too smoked from age 13-27. The winter before I quit, I got sick and came down with pneumonia. I was so darned sick, yet still dragged my sorry butt outside in the cold of a Canadian January to try to smoke a cigarette (I always smoked outside...never in the house). It hurt so bad, but I still smoked. At the same time that I was sick, a family friend became ill as well. My mother said he must have the same virus I had because his illness was also respiratory related. I eventually got better a few weeks later.....even though I smoked. He never did get better. Turned out he had lung cancer and had never smoked a day in his life. He was a plumber in the 70's and 80's and was exposed to asbestos. That summer, I married my husband in a small, intimate family only garden wedding. It was only our immediate family and we had also invited our family friend. His wife and daughter were able to join us, but he was too sick to attend. After the wedding and small reception, I went over...still in my wedding dress....to visit my friend. He wanted to see me in my dress :) That was the very last time I ever saw him. I felt tremendous guilt for deliberately ruining my health by smoking and watching his loving family lose their father and husband to an illness he couldn't have prevented. That was it for me. I quit smoking that summer and have never touched a cigarette since. That was when I gained weight. I had never weighed more than 110 lbs. but quickly gained to 128 lbs. and have yo-yo'd ever since. That was almost 17 years ago. I'm going to do my best to make this the year that I lose the weight AND keep it off!

Sorry for the long ramble ;)

rosabella2012 03-28-2015 08:16 AM

Hello and Hello! Warmer weather and sunny days have me feeling better but the pollen is not my asthma's friend! GB issues have quieted down for now. Can't figure out what triggered it or what stopped it either.
Tried on my Easter outfit and it's way bigger than I though it would be--it will just have to do. It was something I resurrected from the recesses of my closet that I wore years ago and don't think anyone will even remember it!
Down to 272.4 this week--that's a drop of a little over 2 pounds this week. I might not get to my goal of 270 by Easter but I'm sure gonna try!
Have a great weekend, folks! Vicki

AZLisaLou 03-28-2015 01:48 PM

Went to the introductory seminar for the Lap Band surgery today. The lady who was doing the seminar was the finance person who gets approvals from insurance and works with getting it all paid for. She is a patient herself, having had a band put in several years ago. It was just "ok". She was a very annoying speaker. She had gum in her mouth and would crack her gum while talking. She would start a sentence talking about one thing, get sidetracked before the end of the sentence and would talk about something else. Following her train of thought was a little tricky. But it was a good first step. My BMI was off the chart they inserted in the packet. Lovely.:( But not forever!

The good thing about it was when I got home. My husband, who is generally not entirely outwardly supportive, asked questions and said, "The main thing is I want you to be happy. I want you to be happy with yourself and feel good about yourself." That sounds like a really wonderful, empathic thing to say, but I kind of had to laugh inside a little. He was using my words back at me. My libido has been less than none for quite a while and I say a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm not happy with myself and I don't feel good about myself. He wants these things for me so I give it up more often. lmao. But, truly, he did sound genuine, which was nice.

Debbie, glad to hear your pain has eased for you. Heartbreaking story about your friend. So sorry to hear about people who suffer like that through no fault of their own. Moving motivation for you to stop, and I'm glad you never looked back.

Vicki, you're almost to your Easter goal. Even if you don't quite get there, you are so close I'd call it a win.

canary52 03-28-2015 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by lildebbieg (Post 115232)
Thank you Hope! I really needed to read a supportive post right about now! So glad you're posting again :)

So glad if anything I post can be of any benefit to you. Wishing you well always. [[[HUGS]]]