FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivation and Accountability Thread - Mar 9-15...Consistency (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/11893-motivation-accountability-thread-mar-9-15-consistency.html)

lildebbieg 03-09-2015 01:53 AM

Motivation and Accountability Thread - Mar 9-15...Consistency

Good Monday morning fitday friends. Another week is upon us! To get us started this week, I want to talk about consistency. This has been something I've personally been struggling with for years. It seems that for a few weeks, I'll be on point with my nutrition and fitness plans...then I'll have an injury or pick up a virus and end up derailed...yet again! This lack of consistency keeps me on this loop of never moving forward and making real progress towards my goal. It can be very frustrating and have a person doubting themselves. I'm sure I'm not alone in struggling with consistency? Let's make this a consistent week and push ourselves forward towards our goals.

http://refe99.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ach-6.jpg

AZLisaLou 03-09-2015 02:25 AM

Consistency? What is this word you speak of, consistency? I do not know this word. (lol. at least it made my own self chuckle :) )

Actually, though, there is a lot of truth to it. I struggle constantly with it. Had a rough weekend. A lot of it being (but not all of the problem) that it was my son's birthday (15! wow...where does the time go???) and I made an a-ma-zing cake from scratch and had waaaay more than my fair share.

Also, I've come to realize that if I stay home I can mostly do pretty well, but as soon as my ass hits that car seat and I pull out of my driveway, all my willpower flies with the wind out the window.

Trying to restart, again, today. happy Monday to you all.

rainbow24 03-09-2015 02:31 AM

I may go too far. I get on a program and end up being so consistent that I get bored with it. I eat the same breakfast, the same lunch and dinner. I exercise the same way.
Then at the end of a year I am so bored I can't stand myself.

I have no goals for this week because of work. Because of work, I am stuck in a rut of consistency. As soon as March 23rd rolls around, my goal is to create a new recipe each week.

lildebbieg 03-09-2015 03:29 AM

Hi all! In light of consistency (or lack there of), I'm going to start posting my weekly goals and track them on here. Back in September 2013, I had laid out a 6 week exercise plan for myself and I think it was the first time I actually followed any of my plans to a T. That really made me feel successful...like I really could achieve my goals. After that...for the next 7 months, I laid out plan after plan and followed through. It felt so good! I'm going to try to remember how that success felt the next time something throws me off track...maybe that will at least help me get back at it in a day or so, rather than a week or so! :p My goal is that by listing my weekly goals here and staying accountable, keeps me right on track until I weigh in at the end of the Easter challenge.

Weekly Goals:
track food daily:
72 oz. water daily:
max. 1430 calories:
min. 90 g protein:
max. 180 g carbs:
2 upper body workouts:
2 lower body workouts:
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts:
4 - 30-45 min. steady state cardio:

Lisa - Glad I gave you a good chuckle :p Your post had me laughing out loud!! Funny lady! Sorry to hear you struggled this weekend, but happy to hear you're forging forward and that I'm not in this thing alone! ;)

Annette - I get stuck in a food rut ALL THE TIME!!! That can easily throw me off track....that was part of my problem last week. I too have to keep trying new recipes to stave off food boredom.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

lildebbieg 03-09-2015 03:33 AM

Holy cow!! Last week, I talked about intuitively eating....mostly because I struggle with tracking my food everyday. I'm trying my best to track, but I have never tracked coffee. I get a medium with 2 cream everyday here at work. I just logged it and it came in at 140 calories!!!! What!!! Plain old coffee and 2 cream....I had no idea that 2 cream = 140 calories!!! After today, I'm switching to herbal tea and saving myself 140 calories for actual food. Wow! I'm so shocked!

episode2011 03-09-2015 04:42 AM

Took me a bit longer than I'd anticipated, but I'm finally getting a few minutes to jot down some notes. Hi there, everyone! Thanks for getting the thread started, Debbie!

Hope your son had a wonderful birthday, Lisa. I know what you mean about time flying -- before you know it, he'll be 21!!!

Interesting point about in-house vs out-of-house eating, Lisa. I'm the exact opposite of you. When I'm out and about, my eating is pretty much held in check. Often, I simply forget to eat because I'm too busy doing other things. When I'm home, on the other hand, the gloves come off, nobody's looking and I have the potential to go overboard. Waaaaay overboard. That's one reason why,over the past 6 months, I've been making a concerted effort to divide things into single-serving components. Make a whole chicken and immediately cut it up, wrap up the individual pieces and put them in the freezer. That big pot of rice and beans I made last week? Lives now in several 1/2 cup servings (again, in the freezer). Putting things in the freezer also means I have to work for it if I want it. There are very few foods that can go straight from freezer to mouth.

I would absolutely love to get one of those food vacuum machines, but the better quality ones are rather pricy and they don't seem to be completely customizable. So, I make do with plastic wrap, baggies and plastic containers. I should probably make the switch to glass, but A) I already have the plastic -- lots and lots of plastic, and B) glass scares me (chipped edges, anyone? Eek!).

Having the frozen, single-serve items also helps with variety, I've found. That way, I don't get stuck in a rut of same breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's too bad some things just don't freeze well (looking at you, scrambled eggs). I suppose I do have a rut of having the same basic go-to foods (loads of chicken, rice, the same frozen vegetables...) but at least there is variety in the ways they are prepared.

Debbie, yes yes yes about the cream in coffee. Sneaky stuff, when you consider coffee has virtually no calories. It's one of the reasons I recently ended a several decades-old love affair with coffee (aside from a few days of headache, it wasn't as difficult to break the habit as I thought it would be). A year ago, I was racking up 300 calories a day in coffee with cream. Not the fancy, store-bought Starbucks kind of "coffee", just plain ol', regular joe with real cream (not half and half or *shudder* milk). That's a lot of calories. Over the past few months, I've been experimenting with green tea. I've found a brand I actually like (not all green teas taste the same, I found out). Additionally, green tea has a lot of nutritional benefits. Supposedly, it helps metabolism and aids in fat-burning. I'm currently doing 2-3 16-oz cups per day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

My Goals for the Week (March 9 - March 15):
  • Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day):
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day:
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300:
  • Explore! Try something new or learn something new (nutrition-wise) at least 2 times:
These goals seem to be manageable, so I'm going to give them a go for another week.

lildebbieg 03-09-2015 11:17 AM

Back to log my weekly goals :)

Weekly Goals:
track food daily: M-yes
72 oz. water daily: M-104 oz.
max. 1430 calories: M-1426
min. 90 g protein: M-97 g
max. 180 g carbs: M-142 g
2 upper body workouts: M- yes
2 lower body workouts:
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts: - Mon - yes
4 - 30-45 min. steady state cardio: Mon - 30 min

Epixi - Hmmmm...I love my mid morning cup o' joe. I think I may start bringing my light 5% cream from home with me so I can enjoy a cup for only 20 calories. What brand of green tea did you find that you like?

talkwithtaylor 03-09-2015 12:50 PM

Agreed!

Consistency is definitely something I need to work on. Very good advice though!

episode2011 03-09-2015 02:26 PM

Debbie: Way to start the week with a bang! Nice going on the goals! The tea I'm really fond of is Yogi Green Tea Energy. I'm tempted to try the Yogi Blueberry Slim Life, 'cause it says, y'know, Slim Life ;), but I'm not a fan of blueberries, so that could be a dealbreaker :p.

Taylor: Welcome aboard!!! Is it ok to call you Taylor?

episode2011 03-10-2015 01:34 AM

Week's starting off slowly and rather uneventfully for me. How about for you?

• Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day): A
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day: 3417
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1182 <---getting close...
  • Explore! Try something new or learn something new (nutrition-wise) at least 2 times:
    • Monday: Did some research on something, but I forget what... I guess that doesn't really count :p
Made a delicious, but nutritionally questionable, food decision in mid-afternoon, yesterday. Didn't make too much impact on calories, but sent the sodium above my normal threshold. I drank extra fluids to compensate, but this morning's scale tells the real tale :rolleyes:. Will do better today. I promise.

lildebbieg 03-10-2015 02:14 AM

Taylor - Welcome!

Epixi - I'll have to give the Yogi Energy Tea a try. I've tried a few green teas, but have found them somewhat bitter. The blueberry sounds yummy...but I steer away from anything that sounds like a 'diet' tea...they usually have you running to the bathroom....hence the weight loss! :eek: I have two children, 7 & 8 and I work full time.....so uneventful is usually a good thing in my books ;)

I'm off to a strong start this week. I was happy that when I worked upper body yesterday that my neck and shoulder felt good. I'm a wee bit sore today, but a good sore...the kind that says I had a good workout but didn't overdo it ;) It's supposed to be +9 C today!! Woohooo!! Spring is in the air!!

https://suedreamwalker.files.wordpre...ng?w=415&h=282

Weekly Goals:
track food daily: M-yes
72 oz. water daily: M-104 oz.
max. 1430 calories: M-1426
min. 90 g protein: M-97 g
max. 180 g carbs: M-142 g
2 upper body workouts: M- yes
2 lower body workouts:
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts: - Mon - yes
4 - 30-45 min. steady state cardio: Mon - 30 min, Tues - 30 min

rosabella2012 03-10-2015 08:50 AM

Greetings! We're back home from 3 beautiful days on the Mississippi Gulf Coast: pets are all back from boarding, clothes washing, suitcases unpacked and purchases put away--yep, we did some shopping. I was able to catch some fantastic sales. I had a really 'wild' moment for me--I bought a polka-dot bra just because it made me smile! And to find a 'pretty' bra in my size on the store shelf felt awesome. Food-wise I stuck with only grilled meats, salads, veggies and a little raw fruit. The weather was wonderful and we did plenty of walking.

Epixi: I know green teas are healthy but when I brew them at home, something evil happens to them--they turn yucky and bitter!

Debbie: I love that 'almost sore' feeling that lets me feel just how my muscles work during movement. I have this aversion to the word 'exercise', but prefer to call it 'structured movement'--LOL!

Laundry beckons--I be back later! Vicki

lildebbieg 03-10-2015 10:28 AM

Back to log my weekly goals :)

Weekly Goals:
track food daily: M-yes, T-yes
72 oz. water daily: M-104 oz., T-88 ox.
max. 1430 calories: M-1426, T-1419
min. 90 g protein: M-97 g, T-112 g
max. 180 g carbs: M-142 g, T-167 g
2 upper body workouts: M-yes
2 lower body workouts: T-yes
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts: - Mon-yes, Tues-yes
4 - 30-45 min. steady state cardio: Mon-30 min, Tues-30 min

Vick - Welcome back! Sounds like you had a nice vacation and kept your goals in mind! Great job lady! I like that you splurged and bought yourself something fun ;)

AZLisaLou 03-10-2015 10:54 AM

Hello, everyone. Omg where does the time go? It's Tuesday already???!!! The kids are on spring break, so I have nothing in my life to keep track of the days. over the weekend and yesterday as well there was no good food in the house. I put off doing the shopping, and ate badly with what I could scrounge up, plus getting a little of this or a little of that while out and about. We were out of milk yesterday and last night I was starving. I wanted oatmeal so I tried making it with water. Oh, lordy it was so disgusting! It was like eating paste!!! I threw it away and had 2 pb&j's on hamburger buns. Yes, I know, not 1, but 2!

Now that birthday weekend is over things should get back to normal.

Annette, coming up with a new recipe every week is a good idea. I know I was in a rut with my family dinners a while back, and cooking and dinner became a dreadful for me. However, when I discovered Pinterest my whole outlook on cooking changed. If you don't already go to Pinterest, I suggest you give it a try. It is the most amazing free cookbook on the planet. You can go to the drop down, select Food & Drink if you want to see the general things, or you can do a search in the search bar, for example Chicken Recipes or Low Calorie Dinners or Gluten Free Recipes or whatever. You'll be amazed at what you can find on there.

Debbie, looks like some strong goals for the week. Love the dancing lamb!

Vicki, "structured movement"! bahahaha! good one. You go girl in that off the shelf polka dot bra!!!

I'm sorry I can't remember who was talking with me about minneolas? They were on sale this week for 87cents/lb. I got 3 lbs (7 medium sized ones), and I can't wait to give them a try. What are they supposed to feel like when lightly squeezed? Some were more firm than others. Some were very soft, but didn't look spoiled. I went for middle of the road.

To keep myself occupied and for "art therapy" I've been sewing tote bags and simple purses with flaps. I've been playing with all kinds of colors, combinations of patterns, textures, experimenting with adjusting the pattern measurements. It's been a lot of fun. I've been posting them to Facebook (I've made 4) and someone wants to buy one already! nice. I think when I have more on hand I'll open an online shop with Etsy or something and see if I can self-fund my hobby. It's been very relaxing, and i don't eat while I'm busy with my hands and mind. hmmm. what a concept. UPDATE: Just got my first custom purse order!

rainbow24 03-11-2015 02:57 AM

Hey Lisa,
I usually do a search for ethnic foods with certain ingredients. Rarely use pinterest though. My family has several food challenges.
DH and DS are fussy
I have a few food allergies
If my grandkids are coming over, they have more food allergies, all opposing mine and each others.
I try to avoid my oldest daughter coming over because she has food sensitivities and she's fussy.
Only my twins will truly eat anything.

One day, when I am living all alone, I am going to have scented candles, salad as the only course at a meal, plain rice for breakfast, and pancakes for dinner if I feel like it.

episode2011 03-11-2015 04:18 AM

Vicki: Glad you had a fun vacation! In addition to everything else, congrats on the NSV of being able to buy the polka-dot bra off the rack! With regard to the tea, I know what you mean. Some brands are more bitter than others, and no amount of sweetener (no matter what kind you use) can help them. Some have a funky aftertaste, too.

Debbie: Good job on the goals. Keep it going!

Lisa: For all my life I've only had oatmeal made with water. I thought that was the only way. Never heard of making it with milk (although I sometimes put milk on after it's cooked). By the way, I was the one who was chatting about minneolas. Nice find at $.87/pound -- when I got them, I think they were $.99. I just saw your update(s) -- Congratulations on the purse order!!! That's HUGE!

Annette: Just last week, I had plain brown rice for breakfast for a few days. No salt, no butter, just rice. And it was fantastic, much more fulfilling than I thought it would be. I will definitely do it again (next time I make a big batch).

• Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day): A, A
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day: 3417, 3462
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1182, 1142 <---boo, wrong direction
    • Monday: Did some research on something, but I forget what... I guess that doesn't really count :p ((edit: I remember what it was! I did research on pee colors (how could I forget that???), so I gs it DOES count -- yay!))
Feeling a tad grumpy today. My body and the scale are NOT cooperating :mad:. Ok, I know I had a naughty item on Monday (but was only about 100 calories over my typical day) and again on Tuesday but come on. One can't be strict 100% of the time, nor should one have to be. There should be some wiggle room, some grace, without getting whacked over the head with a gain. Why is it that it takes me a week (or more!) of serious deprivation to lose 1/2 pound but less than 24 hours to gain? Grumble grumble...

I haven't gone back up to the plateau (thank goodness, or you'd really see the Mad Cat come out!) but I'm inching up closer to it. NOT going in the right direction.

*sigh* Ok, rant over. I think...

AZLisaLou 03-11-2015 06:50 AM

I just wanted to share some news. Jeff (dh) has been out of work since the middle of September. Our savings is nearly gone. Today, FINALLY, he was able to get onto a job (he's an electrician with the union). He doesn't know how long this particular job will last but it's with the same contractor that has the airport job and $70m worth of work going on/coming up. So, if he does a good job (and he always impresses on every job), then they should keep him and just transfer him to other sites as needed. I am grateful and thankful and relieved!

episode2011 03-11-2015 07:50 AM

Lisa: Great news about Jeff. That has to be a relief. Fingers crossed, it'll turn into something more.

Also, I was thinking more about your purse project. If you think you might actually want to turn it into a bonafide business, have you considered Kickstarter? Or perhaps GoFundMe? Although I think GoFundMe is more for short term issues... Anyway, something to consider, to get some start-up money for supplies and whatnot.

lildebbieg 03-11-2015 10:16 AM

Evening check in:)

Weekly Goals:
track food daily: M-yes, T-yes, W-yes
72 oz. water daily: M-104 oz., T-88 oz., W-80 oz.
max. 1430 calories: M-1426, T-1419, W-1398
min. 90 g protein: M-97 g, T-112 g, W-90 g
max. 180 g carbs: M-142 g, T-167 g, W-95 g
2 upper body workouts: M-yes
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts: - Mon-yes, Tues-yes, Wed-yes
4 - 30-45 min. steady state cardio: Mon-30 min, Tues-30 min, Wed.-45 min.

Lisa - So happy to hear things are going well for you and Jeff!!

Epixi - Hope you day turned around. I'm staying off the scale because the fluctuation has been getting to me. I'm hoping that by posting my weekly goals here and doing the best I can, the scale will cooperate. I'm literally afraid of the scale now! :p

LHall1965 03-11-2015 10:58 AM

Happy Mid week to all - some catching up to do with everyone. Love reading all the posts and getting all the great advise - and a few laughs :)

Annette - love the idea about the new receipes. It seems I am now getting in a rut also and relying on the same things that have been working but I will have to branch out and try some new things to keep it interesting.

Debbie- I love coffee and in the past always drank it black so never worried about the calories. Then I "tried" flavored cream and am hooked. I do log it but have to have one cup with cream. At work then I drink one black.

Epixi - I do also like tea and try different varieties. I have two other "tea buddies" and when we find something new we bring a few bags to the others to try. That way we can all try different teas without buying all the time. Do you have any friends who like tea? Each buy one box and then we swap

Vicki- welcome back - glad you had a good time. Wear your polka dots with a smile!

Lisa- Great news about Jeff! I use pinterest some but will have to check it out further for some new receipes. thanks for the info.

Someone at work actually noticed at work and commented that I had lost weight! This was so wonderful because I see them everyday so thought it would take longer for someone to notice. Makes me super motivated to finish the week strong.

rosabella2012 03-11-2015 02:29 PM

Debbie: I like what you had to say about consistency. For years, I had this 'all-or-nothing' mentality. I felt that I had to do a diet perfectly or not at all and that meant eat everything available. It was like I had no choice in the matter on any level. Now I describe my plan for eating in parameters rather than absolutes--for instance, I strive to eat 95 to 110 grams of protein per day rather than saying 'I'll eat only 100 grams of protein per day' and getting down on myself if I eat 102 that day.
I've found I get better consistency when I start my goals out Small, keep them Measurable, remain Accountable, take Responsibility for my successes/failures all within a stated Timeframe.
Tracking foods can be a shock sometimes--good and bad!

Annette: I love food and cooking way too much to be able to eat the same thing made the same way day in and day out! I'm always up to try a new recipe or natural food item especially produce or fruit. Tonight, I roasted Belgian endive--it's a nutritious vegetable with a bitter whang to it. Roasting was supposed to take out the bitterness, but it's still there, just less intense. Don't plan on fixing any more of it either!

Lisa: I can eat on target anywhere IF I'm in the right frame of mind and I can binge on anything anywhere for any reason or no reason at all--IF I'm in the wrong frame of mind! I'm a true food addict!
I've always made oatmeal with milk, a little cinnamon and vanilla--it's the way I was taught to make it and for years I thought that's the way everybody made oatmeal!
Congrats on making your purses and your husband's new job! I hope both of them are profitable for your family!

Epixi: I portion out foods in individual servings using baggies and freeze them either in a larger container or a larger freezer baggie, especially things like fish. It sure makes it easier to thaw it out!

Lynda: Doesn't it feel nice when someone notices our efforts to get healthier?! Good for you!

Good night! Vicki

rainbow24 03-12-2015 02:30 AM

Lisa, that is fantastic news. :D

lildebbieg 03-12-2015 04:06 AM

Hello all! Even with the time change, I've managed to get up and get a workout in before work. Happy about that :D In the past, getting that workout in before my day started really helped me stay consistent with my exercise goals!

Vicki - I still struggle with an all or nothing approach. I'm always trying new things to break that mindset. This week, I set my calorie goals higher than I normally do. Usually I aim for 1200 or lower, but now I'm aiming for 1430 (my weight that day X 10) and set a minimum protein goal and a maximum carb goal. This seems more manageable long term. I'm also staying off the scale and using other things to measure my success that day. When I weigh every 2 or 3 weeks, I'll adjust as needed to keep progressing. I believe that would fit into your SMART goal setting. ;)

Lynda - I attempted black coffee this week, but not for me! I'm now bringing light cream from home to add to my coffee. I still can't believe how many calories were in 2 creams!! They must be using 35% cream or something! :eek:

Have a great day all!

episode2011 03-12-2015 05:18 AM

• Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day): A, A, A
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day: 3417, 3462, 3417
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1182, 1142, 1138 <---boo, wrong direction
    • Monday: Did some research on something, but I forget what... I guess that doesn't really count :p ((edit: I remember what it was! I did research on pee colors (how could I forget that???), so I gs it DOES count -- yay!))
    • Wednesday: Did some research on nutrition labels. See below.
We all read food labels, yes? Did you know they are due for an overhaul? They've been unchanged since the mid '90s. The overhaul is still in the works, and it looks like they're heading in the right direction, but in my opinion, the changes don't go nearly far enough.

Positives:
  • Serving sizes will reflect what people actually eat. Supposedly, current serving sizes reflect the portions people used to eat in the '70s and '80s, but in my opinion, current serving sizes reflect what marketers want to make their calorie counts look better. "Our chips are only 20 calories per serving!" And then in tiny print: Serving size = 1 chip
What could be better:
  • There are so many nutrients that we're told we should track (potassium, magnesium, all the Bs and Ds among others) and yet these are routinely not included on labels, because THEY AREN'T REQUIRED TO BE LISTED. Grrr.
  • There is controversy over whether listing "Added Sugar" will confuse consumers. Consumers aren't too stupid to understand that the indented lines under Fats are sub-categories of Fat, or the indented lines under Carbs are sub-categories of Carbs. But we're are too stupid to understand that Sugar can also have sub-categories?
  • They propose swapping the columns so that the left-most column will be Percentage Daily Value. I hate this idea. I want to see the component first (Fats), then the unit number (6g). For my money, they could eliminate the percentage altogether. Leading to my next point...
  • I wish they'd leave out the percentages altogether. They're based on a 2000 calorie diet and are, therefore, absolutely worthless to me. Just give me the raw data. That includes the vitamins and minerals, too -- the Percentage Daily Value info is meaningless unless you're on a 2000 calorie diet.
*steps off her soapbox*

I hope there will be time for suggestions/questions. I may actually get off my butt and submit some!

rosabella2012 03-12-2015 06:46 AM

Epixi: I totally agree with you suggestions on changes to food labels. I, too, wish they'd just give us the raw data and let us be responsible for determining how much of the nutrient/servings of food we need. I wish they would give us the I.U. or mg of minerals/vitamins rather than percents because I don't eat 2000 cals per day. Also, the amount of nutrient/mineral needed for a 25 yr old active female is very different from what is needed for a 60 yr old post-menopausal female. Vicki

lildebbieg 03-12-2015 12:28 PM

Evening check in:) I've been right on track....a little over in my calories, but I did a lot of exercise today so I can't sweat over 54 extra calories. And now I head into the weekend where I normally struggle. I'm planning to do my best to maintain consistency.

Weekly Goals:
track food daily: M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes, Th-yes
72 oz. water daily: M-104 oz., Tu-88 oz., W-80 oz., Th-128 oz.
max. 1430 calories: M-1426, Tu-1419, W-1398 Th-1484
min. 90 g protein: M-97 g, Tu-112 g, W-90 g, Th-101 g
max. 180 g carbs: M-142 g, Tu-167 g, W-95 g, Th-105 g
2 upper body workouts: M-yes, Th-yes (Goal met!)
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts: - M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes, Th-yes (Goal met!)
4 - 30-45 min. steady state cardio: M-30 min, Tu-30 min, W-45 min., Th-75 min. (Goal met!)

Epixi - I always check the portion size when looking at the label...no foolin' me with a 1 chip portion ;) I had no idea that the percentages were based on a 2000 calorie diet. Makes me realize I've probably be way under on calcium since it's one of the only things I look at percentage wise!

AZLisaLou 03-12-2015 09:59 PM

good moments and bad moments. the only consistency is that I'm inconsistent. I went from drinking diet soda to watered down crystal light to plain water...now on regular soda! eek!!! Need to nip that in the bud quickly.

I'm so relieved that dh is working again. June 1st I will have double insurance coverage, and hopefully can get my hands fixed (carpal tunnel) so I can bead again and work with my hands on any creative and artistic thing I want. Will be finding a therapist in the next 2 or 3 weeks to start getting to the bottom of obsession with food and limited ability to keep to a plan instead of binging. Once I get that all figured out and working in the right direction, I will look in depth more on a lap band. There are great success stories and great failure stories. There's no guarantee, and is the risk worth it? I'm thinking so.

Almost finished my custom bag order. It looks good. I made a major mistake, but hopefully no one will notice my correction. I see it, but my daughter couldn't see anything and said I'm crazy. (Yes, that's why I take meds, hehehe) Tomorrow I'm going to get one finishing touch. I made two fabric yo-yo's, the larger being the interior fabric (green polka dot), and the smaller the exterior (pink with subtle cute flowers/butterflies). I need to buy a big pearl or gem button to put in the center, attach it to the flap and it will be ready to mail. I'm pretty happy with it. Hope the recipient loves it!

Tomorrow I'm going to test myself and see if I can stick to atkins w/ milk 2x, oatmeal 1x, and a regular dinner with NOOOOO snacking or binging (Unless it's a banana or something healthy then that might be ok).

Oh! I tried a minneola today. It was super juicy, not really very sweet, or at least not what I was expecting. I had a hard time peeling it. It seemed that the rind should come off easily, but the fruit split in half and I couldn't get the halves out of the rinds...big mess. I also didn't know they had seeds. Bit into one. Tasted good! I think I like the Halo mandarins better though. But they're definitely good.

Debbie, you're looking awesome on your goals!!!

Epi, I totally agree with everything you said on labeling!

rainbow24 03-13-2015 03:27 AM

As of yesterday work at the farm passed into double time. I expect my mileage to increase.
I lost a pound. Surprised by it.

episode2011 03-13-2015 07:09 AM

Hey folksies, you know what today is, right???

F R I D A Y the 13th!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Be careful out there :p.

Lisa: I'm surprised to hear your minneola had seeds. The one I had didn't have any. If it had had seeds, I wouldn't have been as impressed. As far as peeling, I cut it into wedges, so I didn't realise it was hard to peel. Bummer. Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

Debbie: Regarding it being the weekend, hang in there -- I have no doubt you'll be a superstar!

Speaking of superstars, look at our Annette! A pound down -- congrats!

Vicki: You're so right about the differences in age and activity levels. I hadn't even thought about that. Good point!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day): A, A, A, A
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day: 3417, 3462, 3417, 3417
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1182, 1142, 1138, 1122 I'll get it up to 1200 one of these days...
    • Monday: Did some research on something, but I forget what... I guess that doesn't really count ((edit: I remember what it was! I did research on pee colors (how could I forget that???), so I guess it DOES count -- yay!))
    • Wednesday: Did some research on nutrition labels.
    • Friday: Learned something new about Fitday's posting policies -- see note below.
Thanks for the support on the labeling issues. Losing weight and maintaining a healthy food balance is tough (and complicated) enough without having to make do with substandard tools. Let's start a labeling movement and when we get done with that, let's move onto re-structuring BMI!!! ((Hehe I'm on a roll now... mmmm rolls...).

Note: here's something for the Learn Something New file: I did not know that Fitday limits us to 4 smilies per post. Apparently this post contained 6 smilies, so I had to edit it before it could go through. Oops!

AZLisaLou 03-13-2015 11:17 AM

To me a "small" victory is actually a huge victory. I was planning to go out. I was planning my failure and was trying to decide what I was going to get...soda, shake, etc. I took my water with me to make myself feel not so bad, the appearance of making better decisions. Then, when I got out there, I said to myself, "I'm thirsty. I want a soda." Then I said to myself, "You have water." Then I said, "I want ice cream, shake, something, I'm hungry." Then I said, "You are not hungry. Drink water for the thirst and if you're hungry when you get home you can have a super cold, chocolatey atkins shake w/ milk." And that's exactly what I did.

I attached pics of the custom order purse I just made. It looks a little wonky in the pics, but it truly is very symmetrical and will lay better once it has stuff inside it to fill it out. The pink has flowers & butterflies. She wanted pink on the outside with lime green polka dots on the inside. I think I got that down. I have to tack the larger green yo-yo flower down a bit more.

Debbie, Good for you for continuing to rock your goals and for getting in your exercise!

Annette,
why are you surprised you lost a lb? You've been working like crazy on the farm.

AZLisaLou 03-13-2015 11:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I forgot to put in the pics.

LHall1965 03-14-2015 02:00 AM

So it's the weekend again already. We stayed home last night which was a change and not prepared so ended up ordering pizza but only ate two slices thin crust and as I only had a diet sandwich for lunch and no snacks was under my calories. I know it is not the healthiest choice but learning to incorporate foods and control portion size will help in maintaining this for life.
Before, I would have ate at least double the amount. Today is grocery shopping so will stock up on some healthy items for the week.

Debbie - I looked at the creamer I use and it lists at 20 cal per tbls so fitday may be high on the cream. I will continue my love of my first cup of the day!

That brings me to Epixi and the nutrition labels. I wholeheartedly agree that they need to be upgraded and overhauled. The serving size is so misleading if you are not careful. Something that you think is single serve and look at calories and they seem low - but look again and container is 2 servings.

Annette - great job on the loss - keep working hard and sticking to your plan.

Vicki - I like to keep my goals small also because I have such a long way to go and if I don't break it down then I get overwhelmed and feel like I will never get there. I also know it will take longer as trying to not just "diet" but to learn to eat for the rest of my life. I lost weight before and put it all back on because I went back to old habits.

Lisa- purse looks so cute. If you have any local craft shows or flea markets you could also try selling them locally. I talk to myself also - great way to self motivate. I use motivational quotes that I found online and tell myself that I will look and feel better in a month or week or today than that cookie or snack will taste this minute. sometimes it just pulls you thru until the temptation passes. Glad I'm not the only one - :)

So weekend - here we go! Got extra sleep last night so that should help overcome this time change - feel so much better today

lildebbieg 03-14-2015 02:41 AM

Hello all! I didn't get a chance to check in last night...personal family stuff had me out of town for the evening...so updating my goals for yesterday. I had another great day keeping my goals in plain sight.

Weekly Goals:
track food daily: M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes, Th-yes, F-yes
72 oz. water daily: M-104 oz., Tu-88 oz., W-80 oz., Th-128 oz., F-88 oz.
max. 1430 calories: M-1426, Tu-1419, W-1398 Th-1484, F-1485
min. 90 g protein: M-97 g, Tu-112 g, W-90 g, Th-101 g, F-106 g
max. 180 g carbs: M-142 g, Tu-167 g, W-95 g, Th-105 g, F-121 g
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts: - M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes, Th-yes, F-yes (Goal met!)
4 - 30-45 min. steady state cardio: M-30 min, Tu-30 min, W-45 min., Th-75 min. (Goal met!)

Lynda - The creamer I use at home is only 10 calories per tablespoon. The calorie count I found for the coffee I was drinking was from the company's own website, not fitday, so I'm sure it's accurate! Crazy eh....a medium coffee with 2 creams to be that high! Thank goodness my creamer is not that high....love my coffee and cream first thing in the morning ;) Great job on only having 2 slices of pizza! That's a win! Absolutely agree that there no problem enjoying all types of food, but keeping portion control in mind which is exactly what you did! Good job lady! :)

Lisa - So proud of you!!!!!! I know you've been struggling lately, so I hope you are very proud of yourself!!! Great job talking yourself out of unnecessary calories! Your custom bags are soooooooo nice!! WOW!

Epixi - Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy ;) I really am trying my very best! I always have to watch the smiles I put in a post.....I always go over! :p

Annette - Those miles are racking up quickly! Thanks for sticking in the mile challenge with me....looks like we are the only two left?

Have a great Saturday all!

lildebbieg 03-14-2015 12:29 PM

Hi all :) Just checking in for the day to report on my weekly goals. I'm over on my calories today....but probably not nearly as over as I normally am on a weekend. Honestly, I've never tracked a weekend so I have no idea...but I did do relatively well today so I'm happy. I even got in my planned workout! Sure is quiet around here on the weekends....nothing but crickets chirping ;) Hope everyone isn't checking in because you're all too busy having fun! :p

Weekly Goals:
track food daily: M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes, Th-yes, F-yes, Sa-yes
72 oz. water daily: M-104 oz., Tu-88 oz., W-80 oz., Th-128 oz., F-88 oz., Sa-72 oz.
max. 1430 calories: M-1426, Tu-1419, W-1398 Th-1484, F-1485, Sa-1618
min. 90 g protein: M-97 g, Tu-112 g, W-90 g, Th-101 g, F-106 g, Sa-92 g.
max. 180 g carbs: M-142 g, Tu-167 g, W-95 g, Th-105 g, F-121 g, Sa-112 g.
2 lower body workouts: T-yes, Sa-yes (Goal met!)
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts: - M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes, Th-yes, F-yes, Sa-yes (Goal met!)

Built 03-15-2015 04:52 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm a veteran fitday member (since 2002) coming back to pay closer attention to my nutrition and I know that having online support and accountability works if we are consistently checking in.

I didn't have time to read all the posts on this thread, so I'll catch up with you as we go along.

I am:

turning 57 this month
new empty nester (though feeling the college exp. pinch :D )
a personal trainer for 8 years working at a franchise gym with busy, erratic schedule
married for almost 38 yrs.
have no legitimate reason not to get exercise in
not really "over-weight" but feel like I need to reel in some bad eating habits not just to look decent but also for health reasons
have a sugar jones!

I look forward to giving and receiving support here and getting to know you all. Happy Sunday!

lildebbieg 03-15-2015 08:01 AM

Welcome back Beth! Glad you decided to join in on the Motivation and Accountability thread! A new one starts up every Monday morning, so be sure to watch for that sand post on the current weekly thread.

Happy to have you here! :D

lildebbieg 03-15-2015 12:15 PM

Final check in of the week. I wasn't perfect...but I didn't strive for perfection...I strived for the best that I can do consistently and I think I hit the ball out of the park! On to the next week ;)

Weekly Goals:
track food daily: M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes, Th-yes, F-yes, Sa-yes, Su-yes (Goal met!)
72 oz. water daily: M-104 oz., Tu-88 oz., W-80 oz., Th-128 oz., F-88 oz., Sa-72 oz., Su- 72 oz. (Goal met!)
max. 1430 calories: M-1426, Tu-1419, W-1398 Th-1484, F-1485, Sa-1618 Su-1528, close but no cigar ;)
min. 90 g protein: M-97 g, Tu-112 g, W-90 g, Th-101 g, F-106 g, Sa-92 g.Su-61 g close but no cigar ;)
max. 180 g carbs: M-142 g, Tu-167 g, W-95 g, Th-105 g, F-121 g, Sa-112 g., Su-65 g. (Goal met!)
2 lower body workouts: T-yes, Sa-yes (Goal met!)
4 - 20 min. HIIT workouts: - M-yes, Tu-yes, W-yes, Th-yes, F-yes, Sa-yes (Goal met!)

episode2011 03-15-2015 03:59 PM

Ow ow ow ow ow!!!

I sailed through Friday the 13th, made it past PI day (math joke -- March 14, 2015 = "3.1415") none the worse for the wear, but tonight, I was clobbered by the Ides of March. Was boiling water for tea (see, I was trying to do the right thing). Moved too fast and splashed boiling water on my hand. That made me jerk, which splashed a whole lot more on my hand :eek:. Instinct made me drop the whole thing on the floor. Thank goodness, I was simultaneously fast enough to jump out of the way.

I held the hand under running cold water for a good 5 minutes (not sure which is worse, boiling water or ice cold water). Put more water on to boil and held my hand under cold water while waiting. Even now, a good hour later, it's still smarting. I imagine there will be a nice sized blister or two by tomorrow.

Proof: Healthy eating is hazardous! :D

• Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day): A, A, A, A, H, A
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day: 3417, 3462, 3417, 3417, 3433, 3427
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1182, 1142, 1138, 1122, 1224 <--- woot woot, finally got 1200!, 1200<---just barely hanging on (1200.8, to be exact)
    • Monday: Did some research on something, but I forget what... I guess that doesn't really count ((edit: I remember what it was! I did research on pee colors (how could I forget that???), so I guess it DOES count -- yay!))
    • Friday: Learned something new about Fitday's posting policies (emoticons/smilies are limited to 4 per post)
    • Friday: Trying to get the nerve to try Greek yogurt. Step one accomplished today -- bought a single container of Greek yogurt (haven't tasted it yet, though, give me time)...

AZLisaLou 03-15-2015 04:29 PM

Hi Beth! Nice to meet you!

Debbie, you did such a great job on your goals this week! good for you!

Epi, ow is right! I burn myself on the oven all the time (have a burn on my hand tonight too), and it hurts for quite a while when you do it. Hope the tea was worth it! :p

I had something close to miraculous happen today. After I did the grocery shopping I was hot, sweaty, tired from walking and pushing the cart, and I didn't feel at all like cooking. Jeff said to take $20 off his desk and grab some McD's for everyone. I went to the drive thru and without even having to convince myself, I just plain didn't want anything. Nothing sounded good, and I really wasn't all that hungry. More thirsty than anything. So, yeah, I went through the drive thru for dinner and got nothing for myself! I will admit, I've had some soda today, but making it thru mcd's was a big win.

Also, I did not buy any junk food at the grocery today. All I bought for snacking was Cheez-its and Ritz crackers. But, I DID get strawberries, bananas, halo mandarins and apples. Oh, I did get nutella...kids love that stuff. I know I'll be kicking myself later when I'm craving and there's nothing to eat. I really want to make myself have an atkins w/ milk whenever I start really craving like crazy. The atkins w/ milk is kind of a lot of calories, but I want to get OUT of the habit of grazing, and the shakes are healthier in vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein than chips or candy or drive thru.

Also, another thing I realized this evening was that I have not had, nor have I been craving, chocolate shakes from mcd's! I was getting one every single day. Now it's been at least a couple weeks since I've had one. BIG WIN!!!

The only other thing I bought for snacking sometimes is rice. I know rice is not the healthiest, but it fills me up super well and I'm not hungry for a long time after having it.

Hoping this week coming up will be a good for me. I've been bad on the soda, but good on other things, and I'm looking forward to doing better each day.

episode2011 03-16-2015 03:18 AM

Hi, Beth! Welcome back!

Debbie: Fantastic job on the goals!

Lisa: You're right -- you had a lot of BIG WINs in these past few days. Especially with the self-discipline you showed going through the drive-in. So proud of you! And thanks for the sympathy on the hand. It still hurts but so far, no blisters, just redness.

Finishing up the week...

• Calorie Cycling -- have at least 1 High day (A=Average Day, H=High Day): A, A, A, A, H, A, A
  • Minimum 1500mL water/tea per day: 3417, 3462, 3417, 3417, 3433, 3427, 3417
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1182, 1142, 1138, 1122, 1224, 1200, 1213
    • Friday: Learned something new about Fitday's posting policies (emoticons/smilies are limited to 4 per post)
    • Friday: Trying to get the nerve to try Greek yogurt. Step one accomplished today -- bought a single container of Greek yogurt (haven't tasted it yet, though, give me time)...