Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection! >

Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection!

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread Feb. 23 - Mar. 1.....progress, not perfection!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 AM
FitDay Member

Have a most amazing birthday Vicki!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! Just got in a 45 minute cardio workout. 15 minutes on the elliptical until my shoulder/neck started hurting too much...so I switched to the bike for an additional 30 minutes of HIIT. Great calorie burner!

This week, I've averaged eating 1200 calories per day, but only burned a total of 1257 calories for the entire week....much lower than my usual average of 2000....still pretty good considering I've been off this week with my shoulder/neck. I've done all I can do for this weeks weigh in so let the chips fall where they may!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Just a quick hello to all - I have a meeting tonight at the club but wanted to check in.

Happy Birthday Vicki - hope you enjoyed.

Debbie- hope you feel better - it's tough to stay on track when you hurt.

everyone sounds like they are staying motivated and on track so that is really terrific. Terri - we had pizza at work today and I had to have a piece - lol
Sometimes you just have to work it into the total. I will have a really light dinner tonight so still in my calories for the day.

Ready for the Friday weigh-in! I worked hard this week so hope to lose some.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:26 PM
FitDay Member

I've made a big decision for myself. On Saturday I'm going to an informational group meeting put on by Weight Loss Institute of Arizona. I'm going to get Lap Band surgery when my husband starts work again and we get his work insurance coverage. My Medicare Part B starts next week, and with 2 insurances I think it won't cost anything, or very little. I'm still going to get therapy for my emotional eating problem and I'm going to recommit to getting in some exercise and getting over my phobia of putting my back out again. I've been fighting with gaining and losing the same 40 lbs for 2 years. The lowest I've been in 7 years is 225. That's certainly not good enough. I'm getting close to my highest again. I know I will still have to change my eating habits. I realize that. What the Lap Band will do is help with my constant hunger. I'll get full with small portions, which will obviously lead to lower calories. I'm just tired of battling with myself, staying in a loss range with calories, and never feeling satisfied with how much I get. I guess another solution would be to eat more vegetables for very few calories and added bulk, but honestly I can't see myself doing that. My husband is not completely on board because he thinks it will cost a lot of money. I don't think it will with 2 insurances adding up to more than 100% coverage. anyways, sorry for the long post. Just thought I'd share.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning all I weighed in today and lost .1 pounds....trying not to be discouraged. I will keep doing what I've been doing and trust I am making progress...even if the scale is being a lil' b!&%*!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by AZLisaLou
I've made a big decision for myself. On Saturday I'm going to an informational group meeting put on by Weight Loss Institute of Arizona. I'm going to get Lap Band surgery when my husband starts work again and we get his work insurance coverage. My Medicare Part B starts next week, and with 2 insurances I think it won't cost anything, or very little. I'm still going to get therapy for my emotional eating problem and I'm going to recommit to getting in some exercise and getting over my phobia of putting my back out again. I've been fighting with gaining and losing the same 40 lbs for 2 years. The lowest I've been in 7 years is 225. That's certainly not good enough. I'm getting close to my highest again. I know I will still have to change my eating habits. I realize that. What the Lap Band will do is help with my constant hunger. I'll get full with small portions, which will obviously lead to lower calories. I'm just tired of battling with myself, staying in a loss range with calories, and never feeling satisfied with how much I get. I guess another solution would be to eat more vegetables for very few calories and added bulk, but honestly I can't see myself doing that. My husband is not completely on board because he thinks it will cost a lot of money. I don't think it will with 2 insurances adding up to more than 100% coverage. anyways, sorry for the long post. Just thought I'd share.
Wow Lisa! It's a big decision to have volunteer surgery of any kind. I hope your husband gets on board so you get the support you need at home. I honestly know nothing about lap band surgery and had never heard of it until you mentioned it...so I have no opinion or advice. I so hope it brings you the results you're expecting. Please keep us posted!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LHall1965
Debbie- hope you feel better - it's tough to stay on track when you hurt.
Thanks Lynda I injured myself last Spring as well and I let it get the better of me and it tossed me completely off track. I ended up gaining back all 24 lbs. I had lost plus 5! I refuse to let this happen again! I will continue to do what I can to keep working toward my goal! I can still use the bike (even if I don't like it! ) and stay on top of my nutrition. The progress may be slow...but I can still make progress. Thanks for your support!

Hope you have a great weigh in today!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Debbie: Hey, .1 loss is still a loss! You know that you acted differently in terms of exercise this week, and you've probably got inflammation etc. going on. Good attitude you've got about keeping it in perspective - keep moving forward! I hope your shoulder is feeling better soon.

Lynda: Pizza is a definite weakness for me I've never had a big sweet tooth, but fatty/salty? Watch out.

Lisa: If your decision makes you feel secure, informed, and in-control, then it's probably the right decision for you. Everyone's body and needs are different, so I hope your hubs comes around to give you the support you need. It's so hard to go it alone. We're here for you if you want to talk about anything, and I hope the insurance covers what you think it does!! It's such a hassle to figure out. I wish far fewer companies tried to do the 'gotcha' thing, where if you don't read the very very very fine print, you're missing something.

As for me:

1) Continue to eat healthy, but do not count calories. Eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full M: yes T: Lunch was provided by work, which meant pizza. I probably ate too much, but I was hungry. I also ate a salad with it! And did not eat a cookie! W: Yes. I am trying to do more snacking between meals so I'm not ravenous all day. Th: yes. My hunger was better controlled today and I was able to eat a light dinner without dying. The snacking helps.
2) Make sure I get in my water - 64 oz at least, more is better M: definitely over 72 T: 64 W: Not sure Th: yes
3) Work out 20 minute DVD OR elliptical 30 minutes on low-impact at least twice this week M: not yet T: not yet W: not yet Th: not yet. I'm still really tired in the evenings. I'm wondering if I should try for Sat/Sun morning workouts to combat this, since I am experiencing no morning sickness.
4) Remember my vitamin M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: Not until dinner, but yes

Yesterday was a good day overall for me. My hunger seemed better, and the snacking seems to be leveling out so I'm not hungry to the point of distraction. I'm also still eating all the leftover pot pies hubs made (he made a bunch) and those are rib-sticking, so that helps too. Sometimes I worry that I'm really not experiencing more 'classic' pregnancy symptoms, but I try to tell myself that every woman is different and it's okay. I wish I could have an ultrasound every day, lol.

As I mention above, I'm knocked out by the end of the day most days. Fridays tend to be lighter for me, so I may go home early and do some treadmill-walking before I'm dead, or I may shoot for working out this weekend. I want to make a schedule out of it, because I do much better on a schedule, but I also don't want to push it because I'm still in the zone where I'm worried something will go wrong. I've been overall zen, but it hits me at odd moments where I'll have a mini panic attack that I'll go to the bathroom and get bad news. Erp.

Also, and sorry if too much TMI, but before I call my doctor and start playing phone tag, does anyone know if anti-gas medications are okay to use when pregnant? I know I can use stool softeners, but my major issue has been gas buildup the past few days, to the point where I'm doubled over in pain. It doesn't say anything about it on the list my doctors gave me for 'OK' medications, so I'm curious.

Talk to you all soon!

~Terri
Old 02-27-2015, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Lisa, good job on making such an important decision for your health - and for seeing that there is so much more too it than just the surgery. The emotional piece, they exercise piece - they are critical to long term success. That must feel good to have come to such an important forward-moving decision for yourself

Debbie - I hear you on the small loss frustration. I only lost .2 this week, for a total of 3 lbs in February. I feel like I worked really hard all month, eating well and exercising - other than that one day a few nights ago at the pub. I am trying to tell myself that some months will be better than others and that every day I ate well and exercised is a victory, whether the scale reflects it or not. My clothes are fitting better and so I am trying to focus on that.

I do want to shake things up a bit in March. I am going to try switching up a few of my regular snacks, and amp up my exercise, too. I think perhaps eating the same things and getting the same movements could be stalling me out.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Happy (belated) Birthday, Vicki! Hope you had a blast!

Debbie: Even with the injury set-back, you're still heading in the right direction!

Lisa: Goodness, big decision! I don't know much about any of the different types of surgeries, but have you had an opportunity yet to research some online forums for lap banders? I did a quick peek and found a couple that looked really good (informative and supportive). I'm not sure if it's ok to mention specific names or links here in Fitday, but a Google search should send you in the right direction. In any event, as Terri said, we're all here in your corner.

Terri: I don't know about anti-gas meds and pregnancy but how about sparkling water? Maybe it could ease the pressure by making you burp? Just a thought.

Roxy: I've stalled out, too, in February (what is it about February?). That's why I started looking into the Calorie Cycling -- I hoped that shaking things up a bit would loosen up a few pounds .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My Goals for the Week:
  • Calorie Cycling* -- 4 low days, 3 high days: L, L, L, L
  • Minimum 1500g water/tea per day: 2450, 2450, 2445, 2445
  • 7-day Rolling Average calories = 1200-1300: 1016,1183,1170,1213
Hmmmm I'm going to have to re-think this thing. So far this week, I haven't been able to get s serious High day going, and today's not shaping up any better. And I don't think it's a wise idea to have 3 High days in a row. That just sounds wrong/dangerous.

On paper, Calorie Cycling makes sense but IRL (in real life), it's far more complicated than I first thought. Perhaps if I weren't trying to juggle so many components, it would be easier. But I'm finding that as I up the calories, I end up upping something else as well. More calories, more Sat Fat (boo, hiss). More calories, more Sodium (boo, hiss). Or more calories, more sugar (*cry*). *sigh* why oh why isn't this simple? And no matter what, I still can't seem to get adequate fiber .

Dog-gone it, I simply refuse to eat 1000 calories worth of broccoli JUST to get the extra calories while keeping the other metrics where they should be. I will say I've managed to finally start hitting the protein daily minimum, so it's not all doom and gloom. But I'm telling ya, so far, this Calorie Cycling thing is stressing me out!!!

On the positive side, I'm still down, pound-wise. Looks like the plateau has definitely been broken. We'll see what what the scale says on Monday (Mondays are my "official" weigh days).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.