FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivational Thread - Feb. 16 - 22 - Try something new! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/11814-motivational-thread-feb-16-22-try-something-new.html)

lildebbieg 02-16-2015 01:42 AM

Motivational Thread - Feb. 16 - 22 - Try something new!

Good morning Fitday friends! :) Everyone ready for another week of working towards our goals?

I get the general sense that some Fitdayers have been struggling over the past few weeks. That's a tough spot to be in (speaking from personal experience!) and can do a number on your faith in believing that you can achieve your goals. I'm here to remind us all that if what you've been doing is not getting you some type of results, then it's time to try something new! When I say results, I mean scale weight, measurements, pictures, body fat analysis, etc. We shouldn't be relying solely on the scale for feedback. If you're truly not seeing results, change something up! If you're stuck and not sure what you can do to change things up, let the group know....maybe we can help?!!

Wishing us all a successful and productive week!

http://www.theblondevegan.com/wp-con...lyvore-NEW.jpg

lildebbieg 02-16-2015 02:27 AM

Second week in a row that I'm not up on a Monday morning!! Very encouraging! My goals this week will be to continue logging, hitting my macros and getting in all my planned workouts. I'm feeling energized and inspired! I'm aiming to get under 140 this week....although I don't control the scale so we'll see if that actually happens. What I do control is what I eat, exercising and keeping a positive attitude. I know that if I do that, fat loss will naturally follow. I'm also already devising a plan for what I'm going to do when I reach my goal....again! I think last time, I didn't have a clear plan so when I got so close to goal I lost focus. This time, I'm planning ahead!

How about everyone else? What are your goals this week?

taubele 02-16-2015 02:57 AM

Hi Debbie!:

My goals this week are very simple:

1) Don't stress
2) Check in to motivate others daily :)

Glad to hear that your scale was kind to you. Mondays are always a big test!! Whatever you're doing, it seems to be working, so keep it up!

~Terri

rainbow24 02-16-2015 03:59 AM

My goal is to just make it through this week.

Progressive dinner over, move on to the mess that is my week.

Monday
  • today - Paperwork all day to prepare for tomorrow night
  • tonight - attend a business meeting from 7 pm until the business is ironed out
Tuesday
  • Government proceedings concerning last night's business meetings
  • Children's club at church perhaps with enough time to change before
Wednesday
  • Farm work all day
  • Writer's group in the evening
Thursday
  • Farm work all day
  • I'm going to rest in the evening
Friday
  • Farm work all day
  • Prepare for Saturday
Saturday
  • Maybe deal with kids ages 11-18 all afternoon
  • Maybe attend a Medieval event This is my something new.
  • Either way, I'll be too tired to cook
Sunday
  • Morning services
  • Evening services

So with this list, I don't have a lot of time to cook. The exercise will be in the work itself. Somewhere in that, I am due for a fasting blood test. :(

lildebbieg 02-16-2015 10:31 AM

Where oh where is everyone?

Terri - Glad you're joining in this week! I've miss your positive attitude and smiling face around here. So very happy that you're back!

Annette - since you don't have time to cook, a fasting blood test should be easy to fit in! I know...bad joke :p. Looks like you have a busy week ahead

Lisa, Libby, Lynda, Roxy, Pranava, ohelp, Vicki, Christy, Bea, Mike, Mern.....check in! What are you all planning for the week! Sorry if I missed anyone there!

rainbow24 02-16-2015 10:46 AM

Good one, Debbie. Humour I can understand. :D

LHall1965 02-16-2015 10:49 AM

Love the new thread this week. I will have to think of something new to try.

I certainly understand the pain of hitting a stalemate. I have not taken the time and maybe don't want to see the actual measurements so I plan to do that sometime this week. I know I will be grateful later when I see the results in a few months.

Roxy - maybe shake it up a bit and like Debbie said try somthing new. I think stress doesn't help and when I relaxed about not seeing any weight loss then it happened. I know i will hit other plateaus but this is a new lifestyle and I just need to learn to eat healthy and exercise and the rest will follow.

Annette- great choices at the dinner the veggies and soup were probably filling and kept you on track. The desserts - well I snuck a couple choc covered strawberries this weekend but still better than a whole box of chocolates that I would have loved to have eaten. lol

Terri- great news that everything is coming along for you.

Wishing everyone off to a great start this week

libby135 02-16-2015 11:06 AM

I am on antibiotics for kidney bleeding again so no exercise and not much of an appetite. I have been sleeping a lot or lounging on the couch trying to get comfortable.
Hi Terry, I am wishing you all the best for you and your baby. Listen to your doctor, eat healthy and give yourself permission to gain weight. Keep posting.
Debbie, I had to give up aqua fit and don't know if I will go back when I am feeling better.
It's been very quiet on the board lately. I am glad that Debbie gave every one a shout out. I am aiming to maintain this week.

lildebbieg 02-16-2015 12:36 PM

I should have elaborated on the try something new thing. My new things are not drinking alcohol and hypnotism (that I found on youtube...if that counts...it sure does relax me before I go to sleep at night!). Those two changes have me feeling positive and also seeing results towards my goals!

Lynda - Let us know what your new something is!

Libby - kidney bleeding! Again! I didn't know this happened before...sorry to hear it's happening again! What is the cause! Sorry to hear you had to give up aquafit....sounded like you were enjoying it. Hope you feel better quickly!

AZLisaLou 02-16-2015 01:33 PM

I am trying something new to fit in along with the name of the thread this week. I keep hearing and reading about the bad effects of aspartame on long term health and that diet soda actually causes people to get fatter around the stomach than those who do not take in aspartame. So, I am giving up my years long addiction to Sprite Zero. I usually have 1.5 liters or more a day, every day. This is what I'm doing instead:

I put a packet of crystal light (enough to make 2 quarts) into an empty 2 liter soda bottle and fill it up with water. Then I pour about a cup of that mixture into my liter water bottle and fill the rest of it up with water. Even though Crystal Light still has aspartame, I'll be taking in very little each day. The watered down Crystal Light is enough to give the water a little flavor, because I can't stand water,a nd I don't like water with lemon or anything like that.

I could feel myself getting really dehydrated yesterday afternoon, evening and this morning. I just wasn't digging the change. But I'm making myself drink it, and I'm getting used to it. I have refilled my bottle 2x today. Still working on the 2nd liter. Not a drop of diet soda since yesterday afternoon. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for this big step of going off diet soda and starting on (mostly) water.

Libby, so sorry to hear you are having such a problem with your kidneys! that sounds pretty serious. I hope you recover from that quickly.

Debbie, I think you are very intuitive. You always seem to know the thoughts I have going on in my mind when you give us a quote or theme of the week.

Terri, good goals for the week.

Annette, looks like you have a VERY busy week ahead of you!

Hello Lynda, Roxy, Terri!

lildebbieg 02-17-2015 12:57 AM

Good morning all :D Just quickly checking in to say hello. Yesterday was Family Day (I don't get it off but took it as a personal holiday since my husband and kids get it off), so I had a nice long weekend. I spent some of the day doing meal prep for the week. I made Spinach and Leek Quiche for my breakfasts which I'm also adding in a Tangelo to round out my meal and Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy and Cheesy Cauliflower Mash is my lunch. The quiche ended up a bit overcooked and wasn't the greatest warmed up this morning....but it'll do. Looking forward to my lunch today! I got both Salisbury Steak and Cheese Cauliflower Mash from the cookbook I keep talking about, Skinnytaste. Such a great cookbook!!!

Lisa - I think the jury is still out on the aspartame...I think? I've read that it can cause a person to crave sweets and it also causes water retention. I drink maybe 1 Coke Zero a day....on occasion I'll drink 2 and I can say that it doesn't cause me to crave sweets since I'm not really a fan of sweets to begin with. As for water retention, wine caused me more water retention than any other beverage. Isn't there some add ins like Crystal Light that are made with Splenda? Some believe Splenda is a better choice for artificial sweeteners. Also, in the States, there is sooooooo much more selection than here in Canada. Are you able to get anything sweetened with Stevia? It's apparently a natural sweetener...I say apparently because who the heck knows right!!?! :p Good job on making a decision to ditch the Sprite Zero...especially 1.5+ litres a day...that is a lot of aspartame even if the jury is still out ;)

Big waves to everyone else! Hope everyone has a great day!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/pe...y-emoticon.gif

taubele 02-17-2015 03:02 AM

Debbie: I'm glad I'm not the only one not drinking ;) I hope you had a great day with your family! I didn't have it off, boo!

Annette: That DOES sound like a busy week. One thing at a time!! I'd like to throw in a recommendation for the Medieval event - I used to attend one every year in my youth and they're a ton of fun! I hope you have time and decide to go.

Lynda: I usually never measured either, but it really does help (unless it goes up - d'oh!)

Libby: Holy crap, kidney bleeding sounds bad. I hope that your medication helps and you're able to rest and recuperate - it must be so painful! :(

Thanks for the reminder about permission to gain - I haven't been thinking about gaining or losing yet, but I'm sure it's something I'll talk to my doctor about on Monday. Blergh. I'm already big, I don't want to get much bigger!

Lisa: GREAT idea with the crystal light. Sometimes feeling 'dehydrated' is a trick your body will play when it's craving the sugary diet drink, so I'm glad you're not giving into it (if you're drinking all that water, you're definitely not ACTUALLY dehydrated!). I hope that you find it works for you. The jury is out on aspartame, but I try to ignore it due to potential cancer links (nevermind water retention!).

Hope everyone else checks in soon!

As for me: Still trucking along, feeling about the same, so far everything seems to be hanging in there. My pregnancy symptoms have been overall very mild. I am definitely more tired and hungry than normal and I have some other mild bodily symptoms I won't go into much detail on (I'll spare you, lol), but I have had no major nausea/morning sickness. I do get some bouts of occassional lightheadedness that pass quickly, and usually occur when I've either just taken a hot shower or if I'm hungry. What a polite little fetus. :D It's still early and I know things may get worse over the next couple of weeks, but I think I'd be so thrilled to HAVE another couple of weeks that I'd take it in tradeoff!!!

Still schedule for doc's appointment on Monday. They've called to confirm about 50 times due to my recent history and to check up on me. I'm happy to have an invested doctor, but every time they call I get nervous again, which is not helping with my 'less stress' goal!

~Terri

paisleyjane 02-17-2015 05:24 AM

Hey all.
Yesterday was not the greatest day for me. It was the first anniversary of my mom's passing, and my downstairs neighbour was having another one of his episodes. It was such an awful day, dealing with my grief for my mom and my anger towards the neighbour.

By the time 9 pm rolled around my partner and I still had not eaten dinner, and were both angry and upset (the neighbour has been cranking two different stereos at once, slamming things, shouting through the floor boards, and blowing on a whistle. A whistle!! The police can't do anything because technically it's not illegal, and he has been evicted but doesn't have to leave until the end of next month)

SO instead of having an evening of peaceful reflection and looking through pictures of my mom, we were both hungry and upset.
We ended up going out for dinner, and although I did alright with my choices, I know they could have been better and I know the scale is reflecting that.

Oh well. A new day today. I will track, exercise, and carry on.
:(

AZLisaLou 02-17-2015 06:01 AM

For anyone interested, here is a short article on just 5 bad effects of diet soda. Click here for article. (and not one of them is that aspartame causes cancer ;) )

Debbie, I like Stevia a lot. I use that in my oatmeal instead of white sugar. I've tried it with baking, though only got so-so results. I'm sure there are probably options out there that don't have aspartame, but I'm guessing they are going to cost a lot more than what I usually pay. Your menu items for the week sound really good!

Terri, I think the jury is out on some things regarding aspartame, but studies have shown a lot of bad side affects including a 500% increase in waistlines for diet drinkers vs non diet drinkers over time, and that it can contribute to depression...like I really need that in my life since I already have bipolar! We'll see how it goes. Also, glad to hear things are going well with baby so far. Nice to have a dr who cares so much! But, I can see how that can also cause some stress. Let us know how your appt goes when it comes around.

Roxy, so sorry for the loss of your mother and that you have a very disturbing unstable person for a neighbor. Can't he be charged with disturbing the peace?

Pranava 02-17-2015 06:38 AM

paisleyjane: I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom and the loss of sacred time to remember her. That all sounds very hard :( I applaud you for getting right back on track today. That takes a lot of will power!

My goal this week is to exercise every day. Yesterday I got a full 3 hours of snow shoveling in and today 30 min on the elliptical. Fell off the wagon and had 1 glass of wine last night. I paid for that with a 2 pound weight gain this morning :rolleyes: That ought to teach me. Something new I tried this week - tuna. I know it may sound odd, but I've never eaten tuna in any form. I had 3 oz of canned tuna yesterday and it's not too bad. Tastes a little metallic like the can though. I might try it in a pouch next time, but this is a good low calorie high protein food I can add to my menu.

And something I accomplished today - Took my son to work with me this morning due to a school delay. As a special treat I stopped on the way and got him a donut and chocolate milk. I did NOT get myself a donut and I'm very happy with myself over this win :)

AZLisaLou 02-17-2015 12:32 PM

All day again w/ no diet soda! I'm really proud of myself for doing my best to conquer this addiction.

paisleyjane 02-17-2015 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone. It's been a rough go for sure but we're hanging on, biding time until he moves out. Unfortunately, in the meantime, all they can do is give him noise citations (tickets) which mean nothing to him. He doesn't pay and thus doesn't care.

Both yesterday and today I managed to go out walking even though I didn't want to. It's amazing how going for a simple walk, when you are not in the mood, can feel like such an achievement. You'd think I was heading to the guillotine based on how hard it was to get my shoes on and get out of the house!! But, I did it.

Boyfriend works an overnight shift tonight. I think I will just watch a show on Netflix and go to bed early. Sleep might help my mood :/

paisleyjane 02-17-2015 03:41 PM

Also, I'm wondering what's up with my body or scale.
I have been the same weight for two weeks, give or take an oz or 2 per day.
I have been so good about sticking to my calorie budget. I never go over! I drink water and exercise, so... what gives! I keep telling myself that I have a calorie deficit EVERY DAY, so I MUST be losing, that it's just sodium or cycle related or stress or something. I have been working hard and staying on the program, so feeling a bit frustrated at the lack of scale movement in February.
(I was 246 on Feb 1 and and 246.6 today... it's been bouncing between those numbers for two weeks)

Keep on keeping on, that's the only way to go...

lildebbieg 02-18-2015 01:52 AM

Good morning all! Another cold February day....so looking forward to warmer weather! Can't wait to be able to enjoy the outdoors without bundling up! Patience right....;)

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I've refrained from alcohol and I can't believe how much better I'm sleeping! I wake up feeling happy and refreshed! This is a huge contrast to the past few years. Today, I'm upping my game with my workouts. I've been doing 36 minute interval workouts, so I'm upping it to 44 minutes. Doesn't sound like much, but I'll burn about an additional 100 calories per workout, which adds up over time. I was thinking that not drinking all those alcohol calories would have the weight dropping faster, but that's not the case. However, on the positive side...the scale is going down rather than up which good.

Lisa - Congrats on another successful day of no Sprite Zero! Feels good to take control over what we're consuming doesn't it! Good job lady! http://www.absolutepunk.net/images/smilies/hifive.gif

Roxy - Sounds like the dreaded plateau! Sometimes it takes a few weeks for our bodies to catch up....you may see the scale move soon if you stick it out....if not, try something new! What are you currently doing for exercise?

The following is a reminder for all of us I wish I had paid more attention to this information when I lost weight last year! I'm doing things different this time!

When a person embarks on a program to 'lose weight', not only is body fat lost but also lean, metabolically active muscle tissue. This happens even if this person does resistance training while losing weight, but to a lesser degree. This is not a good recipe for the metabolism...in fact it's the perfect recipe to slow the metabolism! The more muscle mass a person carries, the faster the metabolism will be. Let's say this person loses 40 lbs. of weight (according to the scale) through diet alone. She may have lost 20 lbs. of body fat, but may have also lost 20 lbs. of lean tissue in the process. Now think about this....she is 40 lbs. lighter but has in fact slowed her metabolism which makes maintaining her weight loss that much harder. If she regains the 40 lbs. and is still not doing resistance training, all the weight she has now added to her body is 100% body fat. Think about that! Now instead of having 20 lbs. of body fat and 20 lbs. of muscle like she did before her initial weight loss, now she has 40 lbs. of body fat.....more fat than she had before! She now has 20 lbs. less metabolically active muscle tissue. What does this mean? Next time she tries to lose weight, what she did the first time may no longer work because she in fact is carrying more fat than she did the first time and less lean tissue. The solution? Don't lose weight through diet alone! Preserve your muscle tissue at the very least. How do we know if we're losing muscle or fat? The home scales that you can purchase that read body fat are not exactly 100% accurate, however, they are better than nothing! Start tracking not only your scale weight, but take note of what you are losing....how much fat and how much muscle. Another kicker....if all you do for exercise is cardio, you again are burning not only fat, but muscle as well. For those of us that are losing weight for health reasons and not for vanity, this still applies to you! The more body fat we carry, the higher the risk of metabolic syndrome which as we all know puts us at risk for heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Need another point to convince you to pick up some weights? Doing resistance training helps us maintain our strength as we age which clearly would add quality to our lives.

K, stepping off my soapbox....or should I say weight bench ;) There are soooo many resources out there that are geared towards all levels of fitness! If anyone needs help figuring out where to start, send me a PM and I'll do my best to help out.

Have a great day all!

rainbow24 02-18-2015 02:23 AM

Lisa, I drink one diet pop per week. Its kind of a ritual. The only way I drink pop in any form is from A&W and must be in a take out cup. The diet root beer. I got take out from my family on Sunday night and didn't have anything because it wasn't A&W. Tuesday night it is A&W.

Debbie, glad you are doing so well staying away from alcohol.

Roxy, good for you for pushing and getting it done even when you don't want to.

Pranava, wouldn't it be nice if our family could learn better treat habits than donuts and chocolate milk? I know it's hard with kids.

Terri, no such luck with the SCA event this weekend. I volunteered for a Bible Quiz long before I decided to join SCA. They also invited me to a meet and greet tonight, but My writer's club in on the same Wednesday nights that they meet. Good thing my Writer's club is on holiday for next month. I can go to the meet and greet.

I am struggling again because the pain is back. I still haven't managed to coordinate my doctor and my dental surgeon. In the meantime, I am using pain management techniques. Most of the time they work, but some days are bad and draining.
This whole tooth pain thing has destroyed my diet and exercise. Walking outside hurts. Drinking cold water hurts and I don't like warm. Eating can hurt or make me feel better. All I know is that I can't give up completely.

Yesterday a farming colleague sat down beside me at some gov. meetings we were attending. She looked me right in the eye and said, "You look different."
I agreed with her, but then she wanted to know why. Her questions was, "What's changed?" I told her that I had a heart attack. Stopped her in her tracks. I also added that I had lost 30 lbs. It was funny, and uplifting to me. She noticed, but I am still me.

taubele 02-18-2015 07:30 AM

Roxy: I am so sorry for the loss of your mother AND your day of mourning for her. You're probably doing a lot better than I would have done in a similar circumstance. It IS always so nice to walk - so cold here right now that I really can't, but I look forward to the day where I can walk for more than a few minutes without my cheeks getting windburned! Debbie's advice about the scale is spot on. Sometimes your body just holds onto that weight like no one's business.

Lisa: Thanks for the article! Maybe the cancer link is bogus after all ;) But the other health benefits of NOT drinking aspartame are definitely worth it! Good for you for sticking to your guns.

Pranava: Great job on no donut! I totally had a donut on Tuesday... sigh...

Debbie: With you 1000% on resistance training being so important. When I'm working out regularly, I actually enjoy my weight days more than my cardio days. I'm usually sorer afterwards, but I FEEL better, like I actually did something. After cardio, once I've cooled down and washed off the sweat, it doesn't seem to linger as much!

Annette: I hope you enjoy your meet and greet then! It's still something new, right? :D How nice that someone noticed the change - that's always the best! And it must have been a little fun to get one reaction and then quite another, haha!

As for me: Still truckin', feeling a little less stressed every day that passes, which is good. I needed to tell my boss about my pregnancy today due to the way my job scheduling works (We're planning for the upcoming semester) and she was great about going over options for work with me. I am the main breadwinner, so taking an entire semester off would NOT be good for hubs and I, even though I'm sure he'd go back to working full time if he needed to.

I'm still feeling hungry basically all the time. Last night's dinner was not exceptionally nutritious, so tonight I'm going to be making sure we have a lot of greens and other veggies on the plate. A nice big salad would probably do me some good. Or maybe green beans. Or both!

~Terri

lildebbieg 02-19-2015 01:11 AM

Good morning all :) Not much new to report on today. Today workout is a total body strength/cardio interval workout. Love this format to get in the strength and cardio at the same time. The scale is still slowly moving down...but what's more surprising is the inches. At the end of the Easter Challenge, I'll share my inches lost. The scale is not the only way to track results! I've also started tracking body fat to I know how much body fat and how much muscle I'm losing while I'm in a deficit. I'm thinking that once I'm done my current rotation of interval workouts, I'm going to have a new rotation of heavy lifting ready. I'm even thinking I may go back to the gym a few days a week. I can do quite a bit from home since I've been exercising at home for many years...I've got a good base of equipment. However, if I'm going to start lifting heavier, it would be easier to go to the gym. I'll have to gauge this as I go...it is so much more convenient to workout at home!

Have an awesome day all!!

rainbow24 02-19-2015 03:02 AM

You're right Debbie, inches can make a difference.

I have not lost weight for some time, but people are making comments. Two days in a row I've had comments, and although Tuesday is was from people who hadn't seen me in a year, yesterday was from people who see me more often.

When they asked if I've lost more weight, I say "No, I'm just happier."
I am not saying that I am happier because I lost weight, I am happier because I have decided to live this year. It's attitude.

And...

Probably a little weight distribution. I wore a light jacket last night that just a month ago, didn't do up and the sleeves were tight. Now the jacket does up, although it pulls a little, but the arms are loose.

Today, after piano, I am off to work on the farm.

lildebbieg 02-19-2015 03:09 AM

Annette - Great NSV being able to wear your jacket with ease! A happy disposition and confidence are very attractive on a person. Sounds like people are noticing! ;)

lildebbieg 02-19-2015 09:21 AM

Wow! Only Annette and I checked in today! Where is everyone?

AZLisaLou 02-19-2015 09:45 AM

Annette, doesn't it feel great to have your weight loss and confidence show to people? Nice!

Debbie, way to keep your exercise going. Can't wait to hear about your inches lost.

As for me, my diet is sh!t, but my ban on diet soda is going very well, for the most part. I haven't had any since I first decided to quit it. I'm feeling very dehydrated though. My tongue and mouth are always dry. I don't like the water even a fraction as much as the Sprite Zero, and I find that I am drinking waaaaay less than I was on the soda. I guess I just have to get used to it more and remind myself to keep drinking, even if I don't like it.

I've been gaining and gaining. a lot. So angry at myself for not having more willpower. I'll get it right soon, I hope. I need to apply the same determination I have for getting off diet soda to eating within limits. I don't know what I'm going to do to not feel hungry all the time. Haven't quite got that figured out yet. But I'll figure out something.

julierains1 02-19-2015 10:06 AM

Trying to stay motivated? Here is what helps me:

Hello everyone, I am a mother of two angels who are now grown. Since I’ve turned 40 my weight has sky rocketed! I’m now almost THE BIG 50 so I am always searching for healthier choices.

Create a plan:
I know this sounds simple, but for me I was a procrastinator and once I wrote it down I felt a huge weight taken off my shoulders. I didn’t have to think about what I was going to do. I just followed my plan of ACTION. Having an exercise routine and meal plan works wonders!

Stick to it:
Now this was my biggest challenge. I was scared I would be a failure. I wrote down what I wanted to accomplish then I made a motivational board. I know it sounds corny, but it really helps me. I put stuff like cut outs of a beach and a bathing suit I would love to fit into, cute outfits I would like to buy and I also included a few pictures of fit women my age. My favorite is motivational quotes as they inspire me to do better!

Make short term and long term goals:
Long term goals are great, but I’m the type of person who needs to see results sooner than later. Short term can be as simple as losing 1-2 pounds a week. Long term is fitting into my old pair of jeans that I hid in the closet!

Health:
What motivated me 10 years ago is so different than what motivates me now. Both of my parents have already passed away. Since I have become a grandmother my outlook is different. I want to be there for my grandchildren and I don’t want to be a burden to my children as I get older. I married my high school sweetheart and we started a family early in life which means we are still young enough to enjoy traveling, hiking and just being together. Having energy to play with my grandchildren is the best thing in the world!

I started a Facebook health page to encourage and motivate others along with sharing healthy recipes and fitness tips. I truly free this is the most rewarding thing my husband and I have ever done.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you get off tract don’t beat yourself up about it. Tomorrow is a new day and an opportunity to try again.

Hope this helps someone. I wish you the best on your journey to health and fitness.

LHall1965 02-19-2015 11:51 AM

hey everyone- so much to catch up on. It's been a hectic week but sure enjoyed reading all the posts and catching up.

Great job Lisa in giving up the soda. I was addicted to diet pepsi for the longest time and gave it up about 10 years ago- now it tastes like cough syrup to me. Mostly I drink water or coffee ( two cups in the morning). My only other weakness is I usually have one or two alcoholic drinks usually with juice or diet 7 up a week.

Terri - so glad you have a Dr and staff that are so supportive. Glad for the most part that you are feeling well. Keep the stress down if possible! - lol

Roxy - so sorry to hear about your Mom, I lost my Dad this past year and those days can be very hard. I had to attend a memorial this week for a friend who lost his mother and they had a dinner afterwards. I was doing Ok, but then I saw the desserts and I ate my emotions again - cheesecake - my arch nemesis. but it was a small piece so not as bad as it could have been.

Annette and Libby - hope you both are feeling better. It makes it harder to do everything when you don't feel good.

Pranava - the pouch tuna should taste better but I'm still not a tuna fan- lol

Debbie- thanks so much for all you information and encourgament. Loved the info on losing fat and muscle. I still have not got motivated enough to do any real exercise yet. >>>

Except for my try something new - I was looking at the you-tube videos for some dancing and came across Shimmy TV. It teaches belly dancing- I did a half hour video and it was a lot of fun. At least I was up and moving - may not have been exactly how the screen showed - lol

rainbow24 02-19-2015 02:58 PM

It gets better. My piano teacher commented that I look great and I see her ever week.

The tooth is still bothering me, but I am managing. I should probably talk to another dentist this week and see if he can do something temporary for me. I start work on March 4 and can't take a day off until March 21, so I have to do something.

Lynda, belling dancing, oh my!

Lisa, way to go with dumping the diet soda.

paisleyjane 02-19-2015 03:17 PM

Hey all, thanks for all the kind words :)

I have been doing okay the last few days, getting in lots of exercise and eating well. I am trying to resist the urge to drink cider tonight though (I love a good dry cider)... my partner is working overnight shifts right now so I'm alone in the evenings, which I find makes me either want to snack or have a drink. I might bundle up and go for a walk instead, as a distraction... but it is C-O-L-D outside! Brrrrr

lildebbieg 02-19-2015 09:46 PM

Good morning all :) Well it's Friday weigh day and I'm not down as much as I'd hopes, but I'm down and (according to my scale), I lost mostly body fat...06. fat and .1 lean tissue. So happy to have lost fat and preserved muscle which is exactly what I'm trying to do. I find tracking more information than just the scale number to be very motivating and enlightening. If it takes me longer doing what I'm doing, so be it....I want to change my body composition more than I want to see a lower number on the scale.

http://i2.wp.com/bamboocorefitness.c...size=580%2C250

Hope everyone has a great day!

Pranava 02-20-2015 01:19 AM

Good morning! I dropped 2 pounds last night - hahaha!!!! Water retention and hormone imbalance are my nemesis. Anyone have experience with estrogen dominance? Down only .2 for the week, but I have a feeling I'll lose some more water weight today.

lildebbieg - What kind of scale do you have that tracks fat vs muscle loss? I have to get myself one :)

taubele 02-20-2015 03:06 AM

Hey everyone!

Debbie: Fantastic on checking on your health in so many ways and finding something that makes you feel great and confident. Slowly and surely always felt like me the best way to lose, because it felt real. If I was dropping five pounds in a day, I knew it was a wonky body thing and never trusted it. Half a pound a week always felt better in the long run, even if slow can be frustrating.

Lisa: Sometimes you just need to do one thing at a time. When I started my first big weight loss push a few years ago, all I did for two weeks was cut out soda and not eat fast food. I did zero else - didn't change my other eating habits, didn't log, didn't exercise. Then I started logging for a couple of weeks just to get used to it (didn't change eating habits, though). Then changed another thing and then another thing. Sometimes it's the best course, so don't beat yourself up too much. I'd recommend drinking more water (even if the flavor isn't palatable right now) to get rid of that dehydrated mouthfeel you've got going on. It'll start to feel better soon. Is the sugary taste you miss, or is it the fizziness of the drink (or both?)

Lynda: Thanks for the reminder about stress, lol! I try. I've been trying not to bring work home with me, which helps, though that'll be a no-go this weekend - I've got too many papers to grade, and an exam too. Blergh.

Annette: It's awesome when clothes start to fit! Way to go! I hope everything is okay with your tooth and you figure it out soon. Nothing more annoying than a nagging toothache.

Roxy: SO cold outside. This is the neverending winter (I'm sure I say that every year :rolleyes:)

Pranava: Gotta love that estrogen. I don't have any experience with estrogen dominance, but I know it's so much easier for men to lose weight (in theory) - they don't know how good they have it ;)

ohelp: You'll get that first pushup before you know it.

As for me: Sorry for not checking in yesterday, I had an unexpectedly hectic day and ended up needing to unwind last night (which I usually do by doing some sewing, away from a glowing screen!). Today seems to be going better, although it's COLD out there, and tonight I'm going to be having my first social event since I found out about my pregnancy. I'm a little worried that people will notice I'm not drinking - but then again, it's also none of their business (maybe I'll sip on some sprite with a lime in the glass, and no one will be the wiser).

It's an odd dynamic, isn't it? People will notice something is different and immediately speculate, while also exalting that everyone should mind their own business, lol. Oh well! I'll talk with hubs about any strategy that might need to happen, since we haven't announced anything and I don't want to invite questions. I'm an inherently private person.

lildebbieg 02-20-2015 04:24 AM

Terri - The sprite and lime in a glass should do the trick. Even if you were to come up with some explanation for not drinking, you still could get someone insisting you have a drink....unless you outright say you're preggers. I think the sprite and lime would be easier on you than to have to squirm around nosy people ;)

Pranava - It's a WW scale similar to this one. There are lots of these types of scales on the market. Some say these scales don't accurately track body fat because your hydration level can affect the reading. Since the scale I chose also reads hydration level, I can take that into account as well. Even if it isn't 100% accurate, I more interested in tracking the trend than to know my true body fat percentage. I've done a bit of reading on estrogen dominance...but really don't know enough to speak about it. If you learn anything, please share!

ohelp - love pushups! Such a great upper body and core exercise! Keep at it...you'll get there....and once you do you'll be so proud! http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticon...gif?1302774075I'm trying again to master a pullup. I was able to do only 2 in a row a few years ago, but stopped doing them so lost strength. Hoping to get strong enough to add these back into my workout rotation.

Roxy - Did you give into the cider last night? I hear ya on the frigid temperatures! It hasn't let up here in weeks! Oh I can't wait until Spring!

Lynda - Belly dancing sounds fun!! Any and all movement burns calories even if it's not formal 'exercise'. Plus it's important to enjoy what we do for movement :)

Lynda and Roxy - I'm so sorry for your losses. My father is not well....leukemia.....and it can be very difficult and scary to face. He's declining slowly...not sure if that's a blessing or a curse? It terrifies me to think what's to come...I do my best to keep it out of my thoughts...for now.

Annette - Wow! That's a lot of compliments!! So nice!

Lisa - That can be a slippery slope when we start gaining....I know all too well! Hope you're able to reign things in before you end up like me....5 lbs. over your high weight! Are you able to limit your diet soda consumption instead of cutting it out entirely? Maybe if you allow yourself 2 a day it will make it easier to stick to a better diet? I dunno....just thinking out loud...or I guess that would be typing what I'm thinking?!!?! ;)

Have an awesome day all!

paisleyjane 02-20-2015 02:24 PM

Happy Friday everybody :)

I lost 2.2 for this week, which I'm happy with. With how much stress I've been experiencing, I am grateful my body is still losing at all. I tend to gain under stress... so this is good.

I'm also happy to have cracked the 1/4 mark towards my goal. I just restarted and already 1/4 of the way there. I know I still have much work ahead of me, but it feels manageable.

Debbie - No cider last night. I might have some tonight though :)
Also, sorry to hear about your Dad. I definitely know what you mean... my mom's passing was very slow, many months. A friend of mine's father passed in a moment, with no warning. We have talked about how both are so awful, and neither way is necessarily preferable, but they each have their own upside, too.

Terri - that is such a hard place to be in!! People are so funny... are we just curious (nosy) by nature?? hahaha. I think I would have not trouble covering it up to anyone who I wasn't close with/connected to, it would be if my friends or family started asking questions that would be hard. If people are noticing, maybe you're glowing?? :) :)

taubele 02-21-2015 12:49 AM

Roxy: Congrats on the loss!!! Great job :D No one has actually noticed my pregnancy yet except me (pants are a little tighter) and hubs, and I told my boss because of the timing as we prepare for next semester. No one else has said anything. Given that I'm overweight, I don't think I'm actually noticeably showing yet, and I don't think I'm glowing, unless by "glow" you mean "starting to get pimples" lol! But thanks!! Maybe I am and I just don't see it ;)

Debbie: I ended up not needing the sprite with lime, which was good! I'm terrible at being deceptive...

We ended up arriving almost 20 minutes late for our social event last night (fashionably late?) due to the terrible road conditions + traffic on the roads. It was okay, though. We ended up being seated at a table with a couple other late-comers who were people I'd met before and we had a lovely conversation. Turns out the other people DH and I were sitting with (an older couple) were not drinking, so it was easy for me to say "just water for me too, please" without anyone batting an eye. It's harder if you're the only one not drinking, lol! DH just had one drink because it was on my college's dime, so why not?

I had a couple of crab rangoons for an appetizer (certainly NOT diet food, but they were very good) and then some nice udon noodle soup as my entree, with steamed chicken and lots of veggies. It was pretty good!

Ultrasound is bright and early Monday morning. I will be trying to distract myself with the piles of grading I have to do, but will check in tomorrow for sure! GET THAT WEEKEND, WARRIORS!

LHall1965 02-21-2015 04:58 AM

Happy weekend friends.

roxy - it is so cold here as well. fighting the urge to eat comfort foods and stay snuggled on the couch. did you go for your walk?

Terri - sounds like you had some fun and didn't have to worry about the drinking. My husband and I belong to a club but it is a family center and although there is a bar a lot of the older members or ones with their children that come do not drink. I am always the designated driver so I limit mine to maybe one or two at the most if we are there for the evening.

Lisa - it is so hard when we try to make lifestyle changes. maybe what some of the others suggested - try weaning yourself instead of cold turkey. just a thought.

Debbie - thanks for all the motivation. so sorry to hear about your Dad also. As Roxy said earlier no matter how it happens it is a hard thing to go thru. When my Dad was ill it was too hard for me to stay motivated or take the time to take care of myself. now I know he would want me to take care of myself so I am trying to get back to a healthy lifestyle.

ohelp - those are great exercises. The office girls did a plank challenge and had a little competitiion for our "Workout Wed" - i am not at that level YET!!
But still had fun trying to get on the floor was my exercise- lol

Annette- take all the compliments- you earned it!. Just inspires me to keep going those are the goals I'm working toward - to look nice in my clothes by Summer.

Hope everyone stays on track and has a healthy weekend!

paisleyjane 02-21-2015 09:53 AM

Terri, what do you teach? I am also a teacher!

It is so gorgeous outside, I absolutely MUST get myself out there before the sun escapes behind the mountains.

lildebbieg 02-21-2015 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by paisleyjane (Post 114526)
It is so gorgeous outside, I absolutely MUST get myself out there before the sun escapes behind the mountains.

Please do!! At least someone is enjoying some nice weather! What's that like!?!?!! ;) Come on Spring!

lildebbieg 02-21-2015 11:33 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful comments about my father's health. He was diagnosed with leukemia 4 years ago (right after my mother finished treatment for uterine cancer!). We've had a lot of time to adjust I suppose. In the summer of 2013, they gave him a round of chemo....it quite literally nearly killed him! He ended up suffering from a temporary bout of dementia. We were all convinced that was it! He miraculously came back around and has been doing relatively well since. We felt blessed! I mean who can say their father came back from the brink! He's a tough man! However, recently things are declining. It scares me I guess.