FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivational Thread Feb 9-15 - You choose...medicine...or poison? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/11783-motivational-thread-feb-9-15-you-choose-medicine-poison.html)

lildebbieg 02-09-2015 12:38 AM

Motivational Thread Feb 9-15 - You choose...medicine...or poison?

Good Monday morning fitday friends :) I want to start us off this week with a positive thought. Life is full of choices and the choices we make are reflected in our quality of life.

Last week, I told you all of my commitment to no longer consume alcohol. I was successful in my commitment throughout the weekend and I feel proud of myself for making this decision and seeing it through! I think for the very first time since I started on this journey to health (over a year and a half ago!) this is the first Monday morning that I don't feel regret for the weekend indulgences and the first time my weight is lower on a Monday than it was on Friday weigh in day! I feel accomplished when I nourish my body, which I do often...but then would turn around and undo all the good I had done.

This week, I think we should all focus on making good choices that reflect our goals, nourish our bodies with healthy food and drink plenty of water. The results will come if we stay focused and committed!

Have a great week all!

http://174.121.247.2/~thefitne/wp-co...neorPoison.jpg

rainbow24 02-09-2015 03:37 AM

Great choice, Debbie.

I happen to be one of the fortunate ones in my family, having an allergy to alcohol (anything fermented). I thought it was only a mild allergy until I stopped breathing when faced with living with a drinker. I didn't drink myself and still had a problem. I also can't have vinegars and yeasts, although sometimes I cheat and pay for it in skin conditions.

My CHOICE this week is to eat my veggies. It is so much harder at this time of year when the best choices are canned and frozen. I am going to reach my goal by adding a salad each day. Given the above info, I will allow myself to use dressing twice through the week. Other than that I will just use a little flax oil or olive oil for dressing.

Salad recipe (serves 2)
1 tomato
3 " cucumber
2 slices sweet onion
1 small sweet pepper (red, yellow, orange)
1 small handful of baby spinach
equal size handful of lettuce

Chop in order listed, pushing ingredients together as you go. Chop together to mix.

LHall1965 02-09-2015 04:54 AM

Great choice for getting started. Super motivated this week - had a great weekend and was also down on the scale so not going to mess up this week.

Vicky- great non-scale victory - encourages me to try hard I need to get to my toes too- lol

Annette- if you like spinach try adding some Kale to your salad also. I ahve been reading about the health benefits and have been adding it my eggs, salads and the homemade veggie soup I made this weekend.

Here's to drinking more water and eating more veggies - my goal this week.

rainbow24 02-09-2015 06:38 AM

I like my kale cooked. I have a great recipe which involves tomatoes and onions with homemade basil pesto.

lildebbieg 02-09-2015 06:48 AM

Extra quiet for a Monday morning? Where is everyone?

Annette - Your salad sounds fresh and yummy!

Lynda - Woohoo! Here's to starting the week in the minus'!

paisleyjane 02-09-2015 07:58 AM

Hello all,
My scale is going up instead of down and I don't know why. I did have the one high-cal day on Friday, but then the rest of the weekend was really good - within my calorie budget, water, movement. Oh well.
My exercise bike is not working again (it goes on the fritz sometimes), and I have SO MUCH work to do that is all sitting/desk work. Again, oh well. I can control what I eat and slip out for a walk if I find a good moment to break away.
I think I have to increase my intensity though. It seems like just walking and biking isn't cutting it anymore. Time to amp it up a little this week.

Mike - how did you do with last weeks goals? I didn't do that great. I took my vitamins maybe three times, and drank water but not the quantity I hoped. I'm trying again this week!

Vitamins, water, exercise, stay within calorie budget.

:)

rainbow24 02-09-2015 08:41 AM

I tried the elliptical for all of 2 minutes.
I think I'll just take pain killers and walk outside in the rain. Man, that's hard in a closed up room in the basement.

lildebbieg 02-09-2015 09:36 AM

Annette - Agreed! The elliptical can be downright dreadful...but it can be a great calorie burn if you work hard. The only way I get through it is to play music that motivates me. Give it a try! ;) Either way though, if walking is what you like, go for it! Hopefully the rain lets up soon!

01gt4.6 02-09-2015 09:56 AM

Roxy, I didn't do well either. I think I took my vitamins for four days and did decent on water for the week. I never did get around to walking and I ate like crap all weekend. The scale was up again.

AZLisaLou 02-09-2015 12:03 PM

I'm totally exhausted from my day dealing with legal stuff with my 24yo son. Glad I got to see him, but not under the circumstances. And it is sooooo stressful.

Debbie, your words are full of wisdom, as always!

Annette, I've never tried an elliptical but they look horrible!

Roxy, increasing the intensity will help, I'm sure. But don't worry too much about a fluctuation over a couple days. I have to remind myself of that all the time!!!

Lynda, good for you for being down and having a good week...here's to another one!

Mike, today is a new day!

I just wanted to mention that I got off my paperwork for getting put on Medicare Part B for 80% regular doctor coverage through my disability. I am one step closer to getting therapy for all my mental issues, but I really want help with my eating addiction. I'm looking forward to getting something going here soon.

Hope everyone has a good week!

rosabella2012 02-09-2015 01:55 PM

Had a pretty good weekend--worked the Crises Line and had a good visit with my daughter. Getting ready for Madri Gras next week, planning to make some gumbo with crawfish tails and plenty of veggies. Went for a short walk today while running errands and grocery shopping.
Cooked some kale today with chicken broth and no fat or extra salt--it turned out very tasty, but it does a number on my tummy.

Lynda: Way to go with starting with a lower number on the scales this week!

Lisa: Glad you may be getting the help you need in the near future!

Annette: Ellipticals are touted to be kinder to the knees, but they still wear me out! Don't know that I could even go 2 minutes!

Debbie: Good for you deciding to leave alcohol alone! I haven't had a drink in over 22 years. Sometimes I think about drinking--even after all those years , but then I remember my life is so much better without it. The thought soon passes!

To the rest of us: We're still on the journey! Vicki

rainbow24 02-09-2015 03:56 PM

When I was in my 40's I preferred the elliptical. I found it easy, almost relaxing. But now, at 55, it was hard on my knees and my legs were like jelly after that short work.

paisleyjane 02-09-2015 03:57 PM

In the FitDay log, do you guys set one ultimate weight goal, and just stick to that calorie budget long term, or do you set smaller, shorter goals every month/few weeks?

I originally had set a weight goal on Jan 1st, with a goal date of Sept 22 (my birthday).
I have been using that calorie budget as my target. It's working fine, but I'm curious about other ways...

I am considering changing to a monthly weight goal, and using whatever calorie budget it comes up with for that month. I don't really have a reason to do this, other than to shake up the amount of calories I'm eating each month.

What do you think? Which do you do?

lildebbieg 02-10-2015 02:23 AM

Good morning all! Happy to say I was up before work this morning to get in my workout. Feels so good to get it in first thing in the morning...gives me more time with my family in the short evenings after work. My son is a major Lego fan (what 8 year old boy isn't :) ) and he has more Lego than any one child should. He asked me a few weeks back to help him sort it all out (again...for the third time!!!) so he could put the sets back together. I hesitantly helped because I've spent countless hours in the past doing so only to have him let it all get messy again. Since we got it all sorted, he's been so focused on picking parts and putting his sets back together and enjoys having help...I think it's overwhelming for him to do it alone. All that to say, now that my workout is complete for the day, I'll be free to give him extra Lego help tonight...after homework of course!

I started a hypnosis thing last night in hopes of tapping into my subconscious. I'm really enjoying the focusing and visualizing so when I read another fitdayers post (thank you sasamiking1979!) about hypnosis....I thought why not! Maybe there's really something to this. At the worst, it will help to relax and unwind me after a long day...at best, I'll somehow reprogram my subconscious to feel more positive and able to achieve my goals. If anyone is interested, you can find it on youtube...it's by David McGraw and called "Ultimate Weight Loss Hypnosis -- 30 Day Challenge". Let me know if you give it a go and we can compare notes on our perception of the program.

Roxy - Last year, I put in my start weight and ultimate goal weight and date and never changed it. Since I regained the weight and was resetting the goals, I realized that as you lose weight, the daily calorie requirements change as well. This time around, I'm setting it in smaller increments so that the calories adjust along the way.

Annette - The elliptical can be a great leg workout for sure! But if it's hurting your knees, you're wise to stick to walking. Hopefully the weather improves for you so you can enjoy those walks that much more!

ohelp - Appropriate title....isn't it though ;) Preplanning and prepping my meals for the work day in advance is essential for me.

Vicki - Have you tried Beano before? It's helpful for digesting tough to digest vegetables like kale. Although once you get used to eating more fruits and veggies, your body should be able to digest them without causing tummy issues. Were you dependant on alcohol 22 years ago? Lucky for me, I feel the wine became a habit, but not a dependence...yet. When I quit smoking 15 years ago, it was literally a minute by minute thing for the first few weeks then slowly got easier. Giving up alcohol for me is easy....but if I kept it up who knows if that habit would have turned to addiction. I never want to find out and should have made this decision much sooner. Oh well....as they say better late than never ;)

Lisa - I can't even begin to imagine the stress you are going through with your son! I hope he surprises you and turns his life around. That's great that you will have medicare and can pursue your goal of seeing a therapist to deal with eating addiction. You're a strong lady to keep forging forward with all that you deal with!

Mike - Weekends are so tough...seems for all of us! Hope your week turns things around. Are you reading that book we talked about?

Libby - where art thou dear Libby? ;)

Big waves to everyone else! Hope you all have a great day!

lildebbieg 02-10-2015 05:33 AM

It's a ghost town in here!

https://memesbarcelona.files.wordpre...weed.jpg?w=628

01gt4.6 02-10-2015 06:03 AM

yes it is. How's everyone doing this week? What are your goals and what are you going to do to crush those goals?

I'll make a simple goal, to finish the week at 205.8

LHall1965 02-10-2015 06:28 AM

Hi Everyone! Super pumped up today because scale was down again. afther struggling the last few weeks I was so excited to see the scale down three days in a row.

Roxy- I certainly understand the ups and downs, I was getting so discouraged but so glad I stuck to my plan and now I can see some progress. I set-up a long term goal and try to keep my calories between 1300 and 1600. I think it is better for me to stagger so my body doesn's go into save every calorie mode.

Annette and Vicki - just started the kale so I will have to see how it affects me. I have been eating a lot of veggies and only had one day that gave me problems.

ohelp- planning and the logging really help. It is easier when I am hungry if I have good choices that are readily available

More later- gotta go to work

LHall1965 02-10-2015 06:59 AM

Lisa - terrific news on the disability. I know it helps to talk things thru that is why I so appreciate everyone here. We are all struggling together.

Mike- my goal is to work out twice this week. And drink more water - I can never seem to drink enough.

Debbie - so motivated in the morning - lol. I am not a morning person. Have a good time helping your son - that sounds like fun and is precious time together.

thanks all for being such a support- talk to you later

rainbow24 02-10-2015 11:19 AM

I'm not sure this is a good thing or not, but I had a photographer offer to do boudoir photos of me. Not going to happen, but I had to laugh.

I'll let him do an array of author photos for me. After another 30 lbs. Wearing long sleeves and calf length skirts.

Hmmm... I'm buying cowboy boots in May. Springing for a hat at the same time.

01gt4.6 02-11-2015 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by LHall1965 (Post 114280)

Mike- my goal is to work out twice this week. And drink more water - I can never seem to drink enough.

Do you drink from a bottle or glass?

Pranava 02-11-2015 03:03 AM

I've almost lost everything I gained last week. I'd like to be down another pound by Friday's Easter Challenge weigh in, but I don't know if that's possible. I have done very well with cutting out wine this week, and am feeling good about this. Also, I've gone out to eat 3 times since Friday, and have made super healthy low calorie choices each time.

What I find best about losing weight this time is that it's very gradual and the lifestyle choices I'm making to accomplish this are something I can keep up for the long term. No crash diet to be followed by huge weight gain as soon as I stop dieting. I think I am forming good habits that will keep the weight of permanently.

Right now I'm trying to resist eating my lunch before noon :rolleyes:

rosabella2012 02-11-2015 05:02 AM

Debbie: I've never tried Beano but thanks for suggesting it to me. Dark, leafy greens have always created tummy issues for me, especially if I eat more than just a few bites. I love them and it's difficult not to eat more than I can handle. In retrospect, I think my alcohol use was more a really bad habit/coping strategy than an addiction. I say than because letting go of alcohol was a lot easier than letting go excess food. Leaving alcohol alone became much easier after I changed my associates and lifestyle. Wishing you success on your journey! Great job on the early morning workouts--I'm a night person--I guess that's from working way too many 11-7's as a nurse!

Mike: You've encourage me to drink more water--I got over 100 oz yesterday! I also got a new exercise DVD to try later today!

Roxy: I set a long-range goal and posted in in Fitday--I have smaller short-term goals that I set personally to help me stay on track to my ultimate goal.

Annette: I had glamour shots done several years ago. Some of my friends thought they were nice but I thought I looked like a floozy with all that make-up! What I enjoyed most was the music they had playing in the background (Who's Your Daddy?), the costume props and all the laughter with the women that were there. We were all over 40 and having a blast doing this together! So, if you do the shots, have a good time doing it!

Yesterday I had my grandson for a while and then it was time to run errands. Even took a short walk, just to enjoy the beautiful weather! Vicki

01gt4.6 02-11-2015 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by rosabella2012 (Post 114297)
Mike: You've encourage me to drink more water--I got over 100 oz yesterday! I also got a new exercise DVD to try later today!

100 ounces should have you peeing clear.

LHall1965 02-11-2015 06:47 AM

Annette- you will be all decked out if you have pics done. You should do some yourself with you new boots and hat!

Mike- I drink from a glass at work that I fill in our kitchen, but I usually have bottled water at home or when I am out. I try to add a little lemon or lime.

Pranava- I try not to eat my dinner as a mid afternoon snack - lol

Vicki - isn't it fun having your grandson - so glad you got out to walk. Still nasty weather here.

Well so much for being down - went over on calories yesterday as I splurged for dinner, but still down overall so I will not beat myself up- it is a new lifestyle and not everyday will be perfect.

LHall1965 02-11-2015 06:49 AM

I did do one workout last night so halfway done. lol

01gt4.6 02-11-2015 07:43 AM

I find it much easier to get in my water, when drinking out of a bottle.

rosabella2012 02-11-2015 10:14 AM

When I'm home, I have a particular glass I drink out of because I know exactly how many ounces it holds. When I'm out, I tend to gravitate to bottled water because it tells total ounces. Vicki

paisleyjane 02-11-2015 12:26 PM

I worked out today for the first time in a few days. I was dying to get off the machine before 20 minutes was even up (I usually exercise for 45-60 mins). It wasn't that I couldn't physically handle it, but that I just "didn't wanna" (think little kid)

So I kicked myself in the butt... I gave myself a stern talking to, like "what do you want more? To go sit on the couch, or to lose this weight?" and "Would you really rather go home and sit than fit back into all those clothes in your closet?" etc etc... I buckled down and powered through my workout, finishing all sweaty and feeling good. I know I can do better, but I was proud of staying and shifting my attitude when I otherwise felt like going home and sitting on the couch.

lildebbieg 02-12-2015 07:36 AM

Hi all! Tomorrow is weigh day and my weight is waaaaaay down from last week....which is good considering last week it was waaaaaaaay up! :D

Roxy - It's so easy to talk ourselves out of a workout isn't it! But don't you feel so accomplished once you're done?!!? Way to grit your teeth and git 'er done!

http://quotesforest.com/wp-content/u.../stronger.jpeg

Vicki - Lucky for me, my husband doesn't drink and I rarely go out with friends, so not drinking has been as easy as just making up my mind. I am going to a family event tomorrow night where everyone will be drinking wine, but I've already decided I'll refrain. Maybe sometime down the road, I'll be able to enjoy a glass of red wine when out for dinner or something, but for now, I feel happy with my decision.

Lynda - Good job getting in your exercise!

Pranava - How has your week been without the wine? Hope it's been 'easy, peasy, lemon, squeezy' as my kids would say ;) Good job making smart decisions when eating out this week! Not an easy task!

Mike - How are you doing with your goals this week?

Annette - Very creepy that a photographer randomly offered to do boudoir shots for you. Big red light in my opinion! Different if you asked him because that's what you wanted....but if he approached you on the subject...I would run the other way...fast!

Lisa, Libby, Bea, Mern, ohelp Where you at? :cool:

Have a good evening all!

rainbow24 02-12-2015 12:31 PM

Debbie, you are right that he is creepy, but I've known him since he was 16 and he was creepy then too. He grows on you, I just don't know if I have the patience to deal with that again. Last time I had to just because he was creepy towards my daughters of the same age. Now, he's just creepy.
On the bright side, he lives in a different town.

Keeping up the veggies so far.

I was lazy today, but my heart rate was up for a full 20 minutes. :o I was writing a Valentine's kissing scene for my story. It rocks!

paisleyjane 02-12-2015 01:34 PM

Debbie - thanks for all the positive images and motivations. They have been coming to mind throughout my day and I find it helping! :)

Annette - I've always thought doing a boudoir shoot would be fun! BUT, not with a creeper. It would have to be someone I trusted to not be weird.

I got another great workout in today. I was at the gym and I could see myself in the mirror while I was working out, and at first I was unhappy about that... all the jiggles right there on display. I tried to focus on how sweaty and healthy I felt instead, and keep my eyes on the reflection of my feet. It was really entrancing watching them move quickly in the mirror. I look forward to jiggling less... hahah!

I am noticing that if I just eat less, I don't really lose as much as when I eat less AND exercise, even if the calorie deficit is the same. It's interesting... but enough motivation to keep my body moving.

Here's to another day down.

rainbow24 02-12-2015 01:47 PM

I'm not considering it. I have never thought it would be fun.

rosabella2012 02-13-2015 03:12 AM

Wonderful news--I'm officially out of the 280's as of this morning--down to 279! I thought I was gonna be stuck in the 280's. Sure am glad to see the scale move out of them! I'll right more later--y'all have a good day! Vicki

lildebbieg 02-13-2015 03:43 AM

Hi all! I had a fantastic week! I'm down 4.4 lbs. which means I lost nearly all that I gained last week. I'm aiming to get out of the 140's by next weigh in. I've been bouncing up and down in the 140's since January...time to kick things up a notch and make sh.....stuff happen! :cool: I'm going to do my very best and work hard to meet this mini goal!

http://www.thequotepedia.com/images/...ut-failure.jpg

Vicki - Congratulations on getting out of the 180's!! Your persistence and hard work are paying off!! Keep up the great work! http://www.theblitz.org/uploads/user...1well_done.gif

Roxy - Glad you like the images...clearly I like them too since I seem to use them often! LOL! ;)

taubele 02-13-2015 04:28 AM

Hi everyone!

For those who don't know me, I'm Terri! :) I've been missing for a few months, but I've gotten a few private messages in the meantime from Debbie and Mike (thanks guys - it means a lot!)

I apologize for my absence and I only have a second, but for a quick update for me -

One of the reasons I disappeared earlier was that I had a positive pregnancy test (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Unfortunately, it ended in a very early miscarriage. I was very bummed about it. DH and I have wanted to have children and it was a big blow. I then had ANOTHER miscarriage the very next month. So, things have been a been depressing in Terri land, and I sort of needed to gather myself up. I very much just wanted to be quiet and alone, focus on work and get out from under the cloud of dealing with grief. I feel lucky that both miscarriages were very early (before ultrasound #1) and so I don't think I felt the grief as keenly.

However, we're back on the horse, and I had another positive pregnancy test about a week ago. Things are still very early and I have been in contact with my doctor, checking blood levels, etc. etc. and so far everything looks okay (my hormone levels are good and rising appropriately). I am scheduled for my first ultrasound on February 23rd.

I am exceptionally nervous as this weekend would represent the same "timeline" at which I lost the first pregnancy (the second pregnancy was basically a chemical pregnancy - I had a positive test but experienced bleeding three days later. If I hadn't have taken the test, I would never have known, and just thought of it as a late period). But one of the reasons I haven't been around is that I have been wrestling with good eating habits while going through some hormonal/emotional roller coasters.

My doctor told me that I should take it easy and not stress until we see what Ultrasound #1 looks like (if all is well, I will be 7 weeks at that point). Then, we'll talk about exercising if baby looks nice and strong.

I am nervous about saying anything out loud while we're all so early, but I feel as though I am about to burst because I have this good/hopeful/nervous feeling churning around. Things FEEL better this time around, so DH and I are hoping third time is the charm!

Anyway, that's what's up with me, haha!

Love,
~Terri

lildebbieg 02-13-2015 04:40 AM

Terri!!! Sooooooo glad to hear from you!!! However, I'm so sorry to hear all that you've dealt with in the past few months. I've never experienced a miscarriage myself, but I can imagine it would be extremely difficult to suffer such a loss and a disappointment having your hopes up and planning your future and then suddenly things change. Big huge cyber hugs to you Terri! I sincerely hope the third times a charm for you and your husband!

As for diet and exercise, just focus on yourself right now. There's all the time in the world ahead to think about food and exercise. Right now, reducing your stress is more important. Once the doctor gives you the go ahead, even daily walking will do wonders for your body and spirit while pregnant. You can get back to Turbo Jam later ;)

I'm so excited and hopeful for you Terri! Even if you're not trying to lose, please stick around. I would love to hear how you progress during your pregnancy. Such an exciting and miraculous time ahead for you and your husband!

01gt4.6 02-13-2015 07:14 AM

Oh doll face, so sorry to hear about that! I can only imagine what kind of toll that is taking on you. Focus on you and your baby, family comes first. I hope and pray this will be a successful pregnancy. If you are feeling stressed and just need to open up, we are always here. Take care!

rainbow24 02-13-2015 04:18 PM

I'm so sorry, Terri.
My daughter went through this and for her, third time was the charm.

Kathy13118 02-13-2015 07:56 PM

So sorry, Terri. I agree: the third time can be the charm.

AZLisaLou 02-14-2015 10:32 AM

Terri, I had 4 early miscarriages. It did a number on me each time, and I am very sorry for you to have gone through that. I hope and pray this third time is the charm for you. Keep us posted.