FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Distance challenge (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/11775-distance-challenge.html)

ohelp 02-06-2015 10:37 AM

Distance challenge

CSmith2048 02-06-2015 12:06 PM

This is a idea! I need to do that as well. It's supposed to be warmer this weekend so I'm going to get back to walking regularly. Thanks for the push.

I'm going to strive for 5 miles per week and 40 miles by Easter.

lildebbieg 02-06-2015 12:51 PM

Great idea Mike! Thanks for organizing us ohelp! I need all the help and push I can get to get as close to my goal as possible!

I don't walk or do exercise by distance. I do high intensity interval training for the most part. I think I'll track 10 minutes of HIIT = 1 mile and aim to hiit (pun intended! :p) 50 miles by Easter. I have done a similar challenge like this on another site and it's very motivating to see the miles rack up! I'll be sure to post back here with each workout...starting right now!

This afternoon I did a 36 minute interval workout and burned a nice 378 calories! I love tracking numbers...can ya tell! ;)

3.6 miles/50 miles by Easter

lildebbieg 02-07-2015 02:53 AM

Another 36 minute interval workout in the books. Today's focus was total body strength/cardio and burned 359 calories! Love my polar heart rate monitor!

7.2 miles/50 miles by Easter

lildebbieg 02-09-2015 01:00 AM

Today was supposed to be my rest day, but I switched it for Sunday instead. I was so sore from last week's workouts so really needed the rest day! I'm feeling much less sore today, so this afternoon I plan to do my Sunday workout. I'll be sure to update my distance this evening!

ohelp - good job getting in some walking time this weekend!

Christy - How are you doing?

Mike - Are you going to join in this week?

Any other takers? You can cut back on calories and you will initially shed some pounds...but it will stall. To keep the scale moving in the right direction, we need to get our bodies moving. Also, once the weight is lost, exercise is just as important to keep it off for good!

"Exercise provides a means of increasing energy expenditure and may help adjust energy balance for weight loss and maintenance. At least 30 minutes a day of moderate intensity aerobic exercise per day is recommended for weight loss and maintenance but greater amounts appear to increase the magnitude of weight loss and maintenance. Resistance training has recently been shown to have positive effects on body composition but does not typically show significant decreases in weight. Regardless of weight loss, both aerobic exercise and resistance training have been shown to diminish risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Since exercise is only effective if sustained, behavioural strategies such as self-monitoring, goal setting, social support, etc. are used to help individuals start and maintain exercise programs and show improved results compared to exercise programs without behavioural strategies. The available evidence indicates that exercise is an important component of weight loss and perhaps the best predictor of weight maintenance."US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health

rainbow24 02-09-2015 03:15 AM

The gym I used to go to had a cross country map on the wall. After your workout each day you could move your pin on the map. Treadmill or bike was mile for mile, but formal cardio workouts and exercise equipment routines were assigned a value per half hour.

I'd like to do something like that again. No deadline though. Just reward myself when I complete the trek.
For me it would be Vancouver to Halifax or 3,413 miles.

CSmith2048 02-09-2015 03:37 AM

Doing well.

Saturday was the first day for me and I walked 3.27 miles and another 2.05 miles today. I didn't walk Sunday because I was at church for about 10 hours and on my feet for several of those hours. Still active but not walking.

I'm going to increase my weekly goal to 8 miles a week and keep my 40 miles by Easter goal.

Good job so far everyone!

lildebbieg 02-09-2015 09:34 AM

Another 36 minute interval workout in the books. Today's focus was cardio intervals and burned 365 calories!

10.8 miles/50 miles by Easter

lildebbieg 02-09-2015 11:05 AM

It just occurred to me that my current workout rotation has me working out 6 days a week for 36 minutes....plus I may throw in a little extra cardio here and there when time permits. So if I stick to my plan, that means I should hit 170 miles by Easter (10 minutes of high intensity training = 1 mile). So I'm upping my Easter mile goal to 150 (just in case there are days I have to miss a workout....I want to make my goal achievable.)

This is a great challenge to keep me on track!

lildebbieg 02-09-2015 10:40 PM

Another 36 minute cardio interval workout and 378 calories incinerated

14.4 miles completed...135.6 miles to go by Easter

ohelp
Good job getting in some extra mileage this morning!