Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
women in their 60s with 50 plus to lose? >

women in their 60s with 50 plus to lose?

Community
Notices

women in their 60s with 50 plus to lose?

Old 01-02-2015, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

Well, the holidays are over. It feels weird to me. Much as I love them, kinda glad they are over.

I have just ended Week 1 of my new weight-loss journey. So Friday is going to be my weigh-in day.

Fell off the calorie-counting wagon 12/31 and 1/1, but not horribly so the way I've done in the past. Didn't gain back the loss of weight from week 1 (6 pounds). But it's scary how easily one's resolve and new habits can fall by the way side when you slip too much: For example, I found myself not logging in my food consumption in my food journal last night. Fortunately, I remembered to do that today.

I ate lots of sweets during November and December, homemade cookies, mainly, so I think the reason I lost 6 pounds the first week is because it was such a drastic change in calories from what i had been consuming. I must have really packed on the calories during the cooking-eating marathon! Otherwise it makes no sense I lost so much in week 1.

I am now prepared for the loss to be much, much less than that, and hope it will be 1 pound per week.

I found a calorie counter that is fun and interesting and it gives the pros and cons for the food it has given the nutritional content on. it's calorie counter.about.com

I wish everyone a wonderful day and new year and hope the holidays were fun.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

A month has passed since I got back on the weight-loss wagon and I hope this is the right place to post where I'm at.

I have lost 6 pounds in this first month. That's the good part. The weird part is that I lost that the first week and have lost nothing more since. Maybe I should say "the scale says" instead of "I lost ..." I don't know what to think. I hope it's real pounds lost and not water weight.

This past month I've been a million times better than in all the months preceding it. Logging in what I eat all day while at work, in a notebook. Coming home at night to type it into my log on my computer. Typing it up at night has become a pain and I've fallen off a bit. But I still keep track of the calories.

I'm eating more veggies and fruit consistently; less sweets on a routine basis. But I have not conquered "no sweets at all" and somedays my calorie count got up to around 1800 or 1900. I want to have it around 1300-1400.

I tend to gain weight in my face and neck (as well as everywhere else), so I have taken a picture of myself to put at the very top of my food log document so I can see it every day. It's kind of a variation on putting a picture of yourself at your highest weight on the refrigerator. But I made sure I looked my best in the picture--hair and makeup, nice scarf--and that I was smiling and looking happy. I didn't want a reminder that would "shame" me. I just don't want to forget or be in denial about the weight gain. Seeing that picture of me with my heavy face is a reminder that I have a goal to reach. So I think this is a good thing. I'll take a new picture periodically, after the scale says I've lost 5 more pounds and then I'll have that to compare.

I use my food log document to log other things: small attempts to move more; ideas for tools to try, what seems to work, not work, etc. When I come home from work every day I think of updating that log right away.

I tried for the first week to weigh myself daily and I went nuts over that. It made me so anxious. I am going to weigh every week or week and a half and see if that works.

In terms of emotional eating, I do that no matter what the mood--even calm and happy, not just anxious and depressed.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend and that you are doing well.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

Down another pound. 7 pounds lost since 12/27. Slow and unsteadily I go. Peaks and valleys.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:30 PM
FitDay Member

Congratulations on your success so far!! Great job!

If you're looking for other places to post for support and motivation, feel free to join in on the Motivational thread that starts up every Monday where we post throughout the week. Some fitdayers make goals for the week and check in on how they are progressing with their goals. Others simply chime to give and get support and motivation. There's also a Friday Weigh In thread that runs throughout the year. Also currently happening on the Motivation and Support board is a Distance Exercise Challenge as well as an Easter Challenge. Please feel free to join in on any thread that suits you!