Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread - Dec 22 - 28 Tweaking our diets! >

Motivational Thread - Dec 22 - 28 Tweaking our diets!

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread - Dec 22 - 28 Tweaking our diets!

Old 12-22-2014, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Motivational Thread - Dec 22 - 28 Tweaking our diets!

Libby, I'm carrying forward the conversation. I'm not sure if you realize it but I have been on FitDay repeatedly over the years. When I first joined it was to lose weight from about 220lbs. The next time it was to lose weight from 250lbs, and the next 290lbs. When I finally got here, and have now stayed for the longest ever it was at 330lbs after a heart attack.
Now I am not so much trying to lose weight, but it is a side effect of the heart healthy diet and exercise program.
I used the title of tweaking our diets with you in mind. Although mine could use a little tweak right now as well. I'm going nowhere for the last two months.

I am going to try a suggested and that is to use the fitday food journal to monitor your sodium intake for a while. Any heart doctor in Canada will tell you to keep that number under 2500mg. In the USA it is 1500mg. Your body requires a minimum. I think fitday says 1300mg.
It sounds like an easy fix, but sodium is found in many foods naturally. It takes diligence until you get used to the levels.

Vicki, I intend to go for the skinny jeans as soon as I can. I already bought and fit into a size 20.

Me for this week. I'm going for taste. I intend to have rum and raisin waffles for breakfast today. I also bought some caramel flavouring to try a new twist on my oatmeal this week.
I have turkey bones to make a soup to last a few days. Legumes and other veggies.
I brought fish out for dinner tonight. Chicken for the next night.

Time to get ready for my walk and fill my water bottle.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Annette, I liked your suggestion of watching sodium. I am pretty good about staying low or no sugar but I do treat myself once in a while. I have been on fit day for about two years and I was using the food diary for a while. I may try it again. I want to do his for my health too.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Today was a very busy day of shopping cleaning and cooking. I am just glad to be sitting down for a while. I decided to enter my food choices and as glad to see that I was under on calories today. Let's see what the scale says tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:23 PM
FitDay Member

This is my second time to use FitDay too. This time I've really tried to use the articles as resources and be very honest and accurate about listing foods and measuring. I've never used the journal function.

This week I'm trying to add more raw/steamed veggies than I did last week. I'm also increasing calories a bit at my MD's suggestion (no less than 1000 cals, stay between 1000-1100 per day, aim for 90-100 g protein and 25 g fiber).

Sodium is so difficult to avoid because it is in just about everything. But I do try to avoid adding any extra and I use lite salt because it contains less sodium and more potassium.

I tried the Paleo Wraps today from Julian Bakery. They're made of dried pressed raw coconut--not bad, tastes like coconut, more sweet than savory. I don't think I'd like them in a meat/veggie wrap, but for rolled-type dessert with Greek yogurt or fat-free cream cheese, it might be OK.

My latest holiday treat is a cup of warmed plain vanilla almondmilk with 2 T of NSA Nesquik--tastes pretty good for a hot chocolate substitute. Vicki
Old 12-23-2014, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

It's more cleaning for me today and I have to hem my new pants to wear on Christmas eve. My calories were way under yesterday so I will try to get them up to 1000 today. I used the food calculator for the first time in a while
and it helped me to be in control. Let's all have a great day.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

That's great, Libby.

It takes an incredible amount of work for me to use the food log. When I first came out of the hospital it wasn't bad because I had to sit on the deck with my feet up for most of the day. Now I have a lot to do.
When I cook, every single recipe is different. Last night I made a soup that included a little of every vegetable in the bin at the bottom of my fridge. It would have been a nightmare to record.
Same goes for my breakfast. I use the same basic recipe using a flour that I premix to get the right blend. I take that recipe and play around with the flavourings, using extracts and fruits instead of sugar and salt. This morning I have a bit of leftover cranberry to add to the recipe.

Today... make that now, I have to get the recycling out, go for my walk, then come home and prepare the bank deposits, drive into town and do that. Come back home and start moving the piano.

And I really have to write chapter 5 in my story.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 AM
FitDay Member

Annette: You've got a busy day mapped out!

I've done grocery shopping for Christmas this morning, finished with planning the meal and getting recipes ready. Laundry, as usual!

Cabbage and broccoli gratin on tap for tonight with meatloaf.

We found an injured kitten Sunday and I took him in this morning for surgery to repair his torn mouth and remove the infected part of his tail. We started antibiotics yesterday. He's about 7 weeks the vet thinks, solid black with no markings. He loves to cuddle and play. Don't know yet if we'll keep him but we will get him over this and take it from there.

I know this time of year often brings memories that may not be very pleasant for some of us. We may be reminded of days and situations that were less than ideal. If that's the case, I hope this year, happier memories can be made!

Merry Christmas--Happy Holidays or whatever you say, just wishing you wonderful, happy times. Vicki
Old 12-23-2014, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

My calories today were 1156 so I am over my 1000 cal limit. Let's see what the scale says tomorrow. I hope you had a good day.
Wednesday: My weight was up .1 of a pound so that is the tipping point.

Last edited by libby135; 12-24-2014 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:26 AM
FitDay Member

I lose weight most consistently if I hold to about a 1700 calorie diet.

Walk is done for today, sun is shining. And they said it would rain for Christmas.

I have to decide whether to bake a birthday cake today, or just put a candle in lasagna for my twins. I won't be eating lasagna though because the sodium count is too high even on homemade. They are 29 today.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:24 PM
FitDay Member

Happy Birthday to your twins. I don't know how many calories I ate today but it was mainly grab and go junk because I was supper busy. Let's see what the scale says tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.