Community
Notices

New and feeling down

Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy New and feeling down

Hi everyone. I'm new to the whole 'weight-loss scene' and am in need of some help.

I only just started cause the other day I got on the scales for a weight measurement so I could get a dress for an event and thought- 'Ahhhhhh what the f*** is that number doing there.' And then burst out in tears... I've always been larger but never did anything about it and ignored the problem (that was the first time I've been weighed in 3 years).

I've decided to change now before it's too late, so that's some progress at least, but I can't help feeling like I am getting more and more depressed with each day. By the time a month has passed I think I will not even see the point in getting up in the morning. I've tried doing the things I love (drawing, reading, being with my pets, being with friends and writing etc.). However I just don't get any enjoyment anymore because I'm so panicked about my size.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to boost my mood??
Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Perhaps I can help.

I am what you would refer to as "too late." Last June/July, after looking at the outrageous numbers on my "broken" scale and moving to a 4X in clothing, I had a heart attack.

My best advice is to stop focusing on the number and start challenging yourself. Walk. Daily.
I started with only walking down my driveway and back. I added a little each day. Now I am up to 2 1/2 miles alternating days.

Change your food habits one at a time. I had to change salt and sugar. Not that I used a lot, but they are in everything. Record your food intake.
Yes, some days you will make mistakes and overstep your limits, but when you are writing it down, you are aware.

Join us for weigh in. If you don't feel comfortable with disclosing the numbers, join us in the weekly motivational thread. More the merrier.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:01 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Biohazard_Belle
Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to boost my mood??
The best thing I can do to boost my mood is jump on the wagon and make some changes. Hold myself with decisiveness and integrity around my choice to live more healthily, and get thrilled for the challenge. I get excited about fresh recipes, make and update my goals and graphs and vision boards... whatever I have to do to stay inspired. I try to make it a game to master.

For me, once I reach my first small goal, (for example, 2 lbs lost or eating fresh veggies each day for a week) I feel inspired and motivated. My success perpetuates confidence and then I become even more successful. I feel that the best mood booster is honoring yourself and what you most deeply want - which for me, is to be healthy and happy in my life.

Keep us posted! I love seeing people's progress
Old 01-01-2015, 01:29 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with these folks. Find something that works for you. For me, I have to weigh every day and write down my food. That doesn't work for everyone. Keep trying different motivational things until you find something that works for you. And it's not all about the scale. Go by how you feel, how your clothes feel, body measurements, etc. The scale is only one part of the equation.

I agree with the walking. If all you can do is to walk to the end of the driveway or the mailbox or whatever, then so be it. Then gradually add to it. Check in your town to see if there is a walking group or a place where they gather to walk. I live in a small town of about 5,000 and we have an old gym where folks can walk during certain times. We also have a walking path around our town along the river. It's a great benefit.

Surround yourself with positive people who will stand and fight this battle with you. You need folks that will support you and not try to sabotage you.

Talk to a professional if you need to. Whether it's a doctor, a dietitian, a nutritionist, or a trainer...talk to someone. And definitely keep coming back on here. We're all fighting the same big fight and we'll be here to help you celebrate your victories and pull you when you fall down.