Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Starting 8/4/14, Get back, get back, get back to where you still belong >

Motivational Starting 8/4/14, Get back, get back, get back to where you still belong

Community
Notices

Motivational Starting 8/4/14, Get back, get back, get back to where you still belong

Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM
FitDay Member

Hello all. Had a little computer problems and so I am only doing a quick post. I got my blood work back. every thing was fine, my ac1 was 6.0, but my cholesterol the ldl took a 40 point jump. So I am adding cholesterol lowering drugs to the list I take now. Most of them are tings I get over the counter like cinnamon and allergy med. and my eye vitamins. Nyda
Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 PM
FitDay Member

Nyda, good that most of your bloodwork was all right. What did the dr. say (if anything) about what to eat or not eat to help lower your cholesterol?

UGH! I had everything planned out so perfectly. I had it on my menu that I could have an atkins/milk and then go to bed. I had a bagel instead. But that's not the problem. The past few nights I've gone to bed relatively early (for me) and slept like a rock. But tonight sleep is eluding me again, and now that it's getting into the late late hours, I'm hungry. If I was able to go to sleep as I had planned and hoped, I wouldn't be having an issue.

And my teeth are absolutely killing me. I've been grinding them around the clock for at least a month now, and my jaw and back teeth on the right side in particular hurt so bad. I just had nearly $4k worth of work done on my teeth, and now I think the other day I might have cracked one in the back when I accidentally chomped down onto a popcorn kernel. And I have no idea what kind of damage all this grinding is doing. People have suggested mouth guards, but I grind 24hrs/day. I can't be wearing a mouth guard during all my waking hours. That just wouldn't be practical.

Enough bitching about that. The main problem right now is that I'm not tired, I won't be going to sleep any time soon, I'm hungry, and I'm already a little over my calories from dinner. I could starve and be miserable; or I could eat, go over my calories even more, also be miserable AND have guilt. I'm not one for agreeing to starve. I guess I'll eat, gain weight, be miserable and have guilt.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 AM
FitDay Member

My Thursday Report:

Calories under 1444 per day: YES, YES, YES, YES
--Eat clean according to my normal healthful eating guidelines YES, YES, Accidentally went over 8 net carbs due to a logging error; Thursday deliberately went over by 3 net carbs but with healthful food, not junk.
--Baby steps on exercise--at least five minutes exercise five days this week: 15, 10, day off exercise, 17 minutes
--Minimum 48 oz. water per day YES, YES, NO, YES

Janai, I'm glad we're still on the Onderland journey together, even though you changed yours to 12/25. I'll bet I'll see you there way before that! How nice that your Culver's take out dinner fit so well into your calorie range. Last night in my most challenging time frame I chose grilled chicken with a dip of ranch dressing. I saw on a show on TV just a couple weeks ago that carbs before bed can cause sleep problems and they recommended instead a combo of protein and fat or in my case, I can have one of my one net carb protein shakes. Not saying your bagel was at fault for your sleep problem--just wondering if you have noticed any difference in your sleep depending on your choice of carbs, protein and fat for evening snacks. I can see, though, that the bagel would be more filling. Golly I miss bagels! Oh, my heart goes out to you on the teeth grinding. I have no suggestions on that--I've only known my sister to do that in her sleep when we were kids.

Nyda, congrats on your A1C. Like Jenai, I'm interested in your plan of attack on the ldl.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 AM
FitDay Member

Today's menu

We often go out to dinner on Friday and DH usually chooses where that will be. I have a feeling he may choose a barbecued meat place ((because he found a good coupon for that restaurant) so I'll make ahead of time some low carb BBQ sauce and take a low carb pita or flatbread with me to low carb my sandwich. I'll do green beans for my side dish also tote an orange almond flaxmeal muffin for dessert to avoid the free ice cream. Or if we go to another favorite restaurant, it could be a lot easier for me with steak, salad, and green beans and nothing to tote.

But I can still plan my other meals and snacks:

Breakfast: flaxmeal pancake with sugar free syrup, coffee with cream

Pre-exercise protein shake

Lunch: low sodium ham and zero cholesterol egg blend rolled up with fresh spinach and a glass of mint iced tea.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1) lose 2-3 pounds in 11 days -N, 1 lb, gained it back and more, weight keeps going up
2) 6 glasses water minimum, keep track -N, Y, ?, Y
3) stretch- Y,Y, Y, Y
4) meditate -Y,Y, N, N

Time to plan:
breakfast: organic corn flakes and almond milk
snack: apple, almonds
Lunch: organic ham and cheese on multi grain wrap
snack: goat milk yogurt flavored with coffee extract and stevia
Dinner: grilled sea bass and small sweet potato
snack (if needed): berries

Nyda, I hope you get the cholesterol under control.

Lil, I love that name Lilivonshtupp. I loved that movie and Madeline Kahn.

Annette, how do you keep track of everyone's eating habits? It seems like food is so complicated.

I think my weight is going up because I am stress eating, ironically over my DD's weight which I fear may be compromising her health. I'm taking her to the doctor and praying she's OK. And also that she will make healthier choices; she's young so I hope she gets on it now before she has to.

Last edited by canary52; 08-08-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

Jenn: Glad to hear that everything went okay with your Mom and that she feels better! How are YOU?

Mike: The pics of the property look gorgeous! My DH would love it. How exciting for the both of you!

Mern: Great job on your walking and thanks for the sweet thoughts for my grandparents!! I haven't called yet as I know my grandmother got her gum stitches out and it's uncomfortable for her to talk, but my parents say that everything went okay. I am planning on calling them tomorrow. I love them very dearly and it's a little hard watching them get older - especially my grandfather - but I try to let them know that they are always on my mind as much as I can. Your 25g net carbs always makes me go nuts - I don't know if I could ever do it, you're so dedicated

Good to see you Jenai! I know, it's weird how we all came back at once, huh? I wonder if others were like me and were like "OK, once August starts, I'll feel freer to post" or something, haha. I'm happy that your eye report was a good one, all things considered! Glad that your logging is going well. I'm going to start that again next week and dread it a bit. I know it helps, but it's a pain in the butt on busy days sometimes.

Libby: That sounds like a good day with a crazy start, haha!

Lili: nice to meet you, good job on the 2 lbs. lost!

Debbie: OUCH on the sunburn, but I bet that you had a great time otherwise. Sorry to hear you didn't feel fantastic about showing your body. I too have a tiny sister with the world's fastest metabolism, so I know what it's like to watch her cavort around in a bikini and then eat a triple cheeseburger without worrying about it. Big empathy hugs for you. But you know what? You've got a good attitude about it. You're still down weight and living healthier, and I bet that she envies you in a lot of ways you don't even know about.

Nyda: You're making me want to buy a bike

Hope: How's the eye, girlie?

Hi all!

Sorry I've been MIA the past couple of days. Late Tuesday night I hurt my arm - I overextended my shoulder reaching for my car keys, which had fallen under the couch when my purse got kicked over. I have a very bad habit of hyperextending/overextending my arm this way, but this was a bad one, and Wednesday and Thursday I've basically been very unable to move my arm. I've been putting a lot of heat on it and taking painkillers and this morning it opened up some, enough where I at least felt comfortable sitting down at the computer. Grrr. So mad about it. I'm going to keep up the heat and painkillers and it should be better after a couple more days. Not the first time this has happened to it.

Anyhoodle, the arm injury has prevented me from working out, although I did get some in on Tuesday. I am hoping that today or tomorrow I will go down to the gym and get on the stationary bike if I can. The gym here at my complex is really small and there's only one bike, but if I hit it at an odd time hopefully there won't be competition for it I am not sure if I'll get my strength workout DVD in since it's all arms and legs at the same time and I need to be able to move my arms to at least balance the leg moves - we'll see how I feel Sunday. If not, I will go down to the gym and do some leg presses!

I weighed in 3 lbs. down from Monday today! Thrilled about it, since I wasn't expecting so much weight to come off. Likely water weight, but still! Woohoo! I HAVE been being more mindful and portion controlling my meals more. Maybe that helped too. I can't chalk it up to much exercise, though, haha! Stupid arm. DH has been portion-cntrolling, too. I'm sorry if I missed commenting on anything this week, I'm so mad I missed a few days of catching up!!!

I'm going to try to head into work this afternoon if the arm is feeling okay. I want to get a jump on my syllabi before first year students start lurking around in the hallways -- I'm at a new job now that is TENURE-TRACK!!!! (meaning permanent as long as I do okay) and all-girls, so it'll be different and new, but I'm excited/nervous.

Goals
1) Weigh in on M and F M: 184.8 F: 181.8
2) Water - at least 64 oz., more is better M: not quite, but better than it has been T: yes, definitely W: yes, just squeaked it in Th: No
3) Eat mindfully. Not going to log yet, but mindfulness helps a lot. M: yes T: yes! W: yes Th: A couple of snacks snuck in...
4) 3x cardio elliptical (30-45 minutes, depending on how I feel): M: no T: yes W: no (arm) Th: no (arm)
5) 1x Strength Training DVD (40 minutes) M-Th: no

~Terri
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning I started the 21 Day Fix BeachBody program today. My sunburn has eased up enough that I managed 30 minutes on the elliptical today. I'll be doing the 21 Day Fix workout this evening. The thing that I find appealing about this program is the eating plan. It's a portion control system that will allows structure, but I don't have to count calories or log anything. I like that idea!! I can't stand counting calories!! Not sure how I ended up here on fitday If this way of eating turns out to be something I can do long term, I plan to continue on after the 21 days, but will probably change up the workouts. This will be challenging since we have company coming for 5 days and then we're on the road again for a little family fun for 3 days. I will just do my best to stick to my plan.

Here is my plan and menu for today.

--- 30 minutes cardio ---
Breakfast - Blueberry Protein Shake (almond milk, protein powder and frozen blueberries)
Snack - Apple Pie Protein Pancake (egg whites, oats, banana, protein powder, apple sauce and cinnamon)
Lunch - Big Salad (greens, mixed veggies, tuna and dressing)
Snack - sliced veggies and hummus
--- Total Body Cardio Fix ---
Dinner - Chicken Souvlaki with tzatziki and a mix of butternut squash and asparagus
Snack - frozen grapes

Terri, Mern and Jenai - Thanks for your support! It means more to me than you may realize!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

I achieved today's exercise goal. If I exercise again tomorrow, I earn Sunday off.

Hope, best wishes on the stress eating and on your daughter's eating issues. Your menu today looks yummy.

Debbie, so glad your sunburn has eased up. I know it must be discouraging for you when some of us disappear for weeks on end because you offer virtually an unending gift of support for so many of us here. But want you to know that when I'm absent from the group it doesn't mean I've given up--I honestly don't think I'll ever do that. Most of the time I've taken off for a special occasion and just don't always manage to get right back on track or back to posting. How wonderful that you found a new program that is has an eating plan that does not require calorie counting or logging! I hope the exercise program turns out to be just what you desire. Enjoy your company and family getaway. OMG, your menu today sounds super yummy and healthful!

Terri, kudos on your new job. Wishing you smooth sailing through the year, good students, and I know you'll earn that tenure. So sorry about your arm! That sounds so painful! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Major kudos on being down 3 lbs. since Monday, too! Weight is weight--water weight comes off more quickly, but it looks the same on people's bodies to me, and it still takes work to get it off. So you did a great job on all the work you did on some exercise and on your food control. I, too, have to use my arms to balance myself my DVD exercise moves. I hope you are able to get a stationary bike. Thanks for your encouragement. I'll bet you'd have the willpower to do that low carb if you had a choice of doing that or going on medication. It's easier for me, though, because I no longer work outside the home. I'm lucky to have a doctor who supports that low carb--some don't. There are a lot of newer products out now that are available in many grocery stores that are not touted as low carb on the labels--just happen to be low carb: like some varieties of the Hungry Girl or Joseph's pita and flatbread, some Ragu and Classico jarred pasta sauces. Kroger grocery store chain carries Carb Master dairy blend that is only 4 net carbs and tastes like yogurt. I do better when I log, but I don't always have time to keep up with that. Sometimes it's impossible to keep up with our group, especially like this week when there are so many of us posting. If someone asked you a question and you missed it, they can always ask a second time.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

Good late-morning everyone,
Yep, I slept in, so no walk today. I have to drive my daughter to get her glasses. The girl can drive farm equipment like an expert; she just isn't licensed for road yet.
Hope, my strength is administration. I have five kids, having had a set of twins thrown in at the last, while managing a child with epilepsy and another with brain damage from birth, I can manage multiple tasks. My parental resume reads like a novel and as a grandparent, I haven't slowed down. I write novels and farm, besides leadership in children's clubs. My mind, and often my body, is at constant work.
Well, I am starting to plan for next week. I also have a huge list of deadlines to meet. I may need to factor them in as well. Provided my church doesn't oust me from my position as youth coordinator due to my heart issues.
1. Walk 4 mornings Thursday
2. Drink 2.2 liters water per day Wednesday Thursday
3. Keep sodium count under 2300 Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
4. Create at least one new recipe this week (low sodium, low fat, low sugar) Done and added to my future recipe book
Old 08-08-2014, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

Annette, with all the stuff you do on a daily basis, you surely deserved and probably much needed to sleep in. What an awesomely active, well adjusted, and giving person you are! Best wishes on all your goals--looks like you're doing quite well on those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.