FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Accountability, Motivation and Support 7/7 - 7/13 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/11208-accountability-motivation-support-7-7-7-13-a.html)

JediMindTricks 07-06-2014 07:16 PM

Accountability, Motivation and Support 7/7 - 7/13

I'm starting this a little early, but I'm sure there should be no problem with that. Here's a quote that I felt fitting...at least for me:

It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up.
(Vince Lombardi)

Libby, I'm sorry you had a difficult weekend. Like others on here have told me, I have to remind you that one or two days is not going to kill your efforts. I know that when I have a bad day or two (or weeks!) that I get really hard on myself. It takes me a while to put it all in perspective and realize that I just need to get back in the saddle and keep going. I know you will get back into the swing of things. It being hot and keeping you awake certainly doesn't help! Do you have a/c?

I for one am feeling a new burst of motivation, and like the quote above says, I'm ready to get back up and fight again.

I cried and whined about how I kept going over my calories, but it was me who did it to myself. The calories didn't just magically enter my mouth. Yes, I seemed more hungry than normal at times, and sometimes even ravenous, so that didn't help. However, only I can control my weight loss efforts. I am going to regain control.

I did very well today (1400 calories). One of my favorite things of all time is Nutter Butter cookies. They were on sale this week for only $1.67 so I bought 2 packages. I was so shocked to discover than 1 cookie has 65 calories!!!:eek: Holy heck! Even though I wanted to devour them, I had one serving...2 cookies. And put the rest back. I felt proud of myself for saying no and being firm with that inner voice that is always tempting me to eat more.

The next thing I need to work on this week is getting back into exercising. My back still has a little nagging twinge that doesn't seem to want to go away, but I think maybe if I exercise it and stretch it that it may feel better soon. I am hoping to go on a strong stretch here and get to Onederland by my goal date. I know it's not a race, but if I don't challenge myself then I seem to go no where.

Sorry for rambling!!! I have excessive energy tonight!

jjrudd 07-06-2014 11:27 PM

Thanks Jenai for starting us off. I can't believe it is Mon again--that week just flew by!!!

GOALS
1. Keep within carb limit
2. 4 servings of fruit/veggies
3. Exercise 4X for 30 min

Personal goals
Clean hall closet
Tidy and dust bedroom

Jenn

Mern 07-07-2014 02:31 AM

Jenai, such compassionate and sound advice to Libby! What a great group this is. You and everyone here are so supportive! You know, I didn't read you as "crying and whining" last week--just reporting your days accomplishments or lack of them, but all along I understood that you knew you needed more control. I didn't take it that you felt you were an unfortunate victim. I think we all had empathy for you because we've been in your shoes on food intake control issues in the past and know we will likely be at times in the future. Hey, congrats on the Nutter Butter cookie control! Way to go! :) Wow, are you and I on the same wave-length/page or what?! I decided this morning before logging onto FitDay that I have to work harder to reach Onederland with you by 10/31. I haven't been exerising, either. I'm going to have to take baby steps to get back into it, so I am committing to baby steps of ten minutes of formal aerobic walking four days this week--and then go longer than ten minutes if I choose.

Jenn, hi. Very nice goals! How's your Mom doing?

My goals this week are simple again:
Pre-plan my daily menu
Stay within my dietary guidelines
Drink plenty of water
Exercise a minimum of ten minutes per day four days this week

Today's menu:

Breakfast: vanilla cinnamon TVP "oatmeal" with sunflower seeds (saving the chocolate for my almond milk later)

Pre-exercise protein shake

Lunch at a fast food place: cheeseburger with onion that I'll transfer to a low carb tortilla and also toted from home some celery sticks with soy nut butter.

Snack: flaxmeal muffin

Dinner: chicken and low net effective carb pasta casserole, green beans, half a fresh peach

Snack: zero cholesterol egg and turkey deli meat rollup, chocolate almond milk

Mern 07-07-2014 02:42 AM

Jenai, thanks for your sweet comment about my great-granddaughter's pics. Actually, cooked textured veggie protein (TVP) has very much the same taste and texture of oatmeal, so I'm sure my adaption of your recipe isn't much different in taste at all--but next time I go to the store I'll get walnuts. I have nutty sunflower seeds and almonds on hand, but walnuts are also good for the heart and I think they go better with walnuts than other nuts and seeds. Way to go on your chicken salad dinner. It sounds delicious! It's what inspired me to do a chicken and pasta casserole for dinner tonight.

Libby, so sorry about your bad weekend foodwise, but this is the start of a new week--clean slate--so we'll all be cheering you on. In what did your DS earn another gold medal? How fun! I hope you eventually got a good rest last night after the rain and lightening stopped.

lildebbieg 07-07-2014 03:06 AM

Good morning my fabulous fitday friends! I had a terrible weekend...well it was a good weekend, but my goals were nowhere in sight! This is no longer water weight I'm dealing with...it's actual weight :( My clothes are tight, the scale is up and I'm down...I'm trying very hard to forgive myself for letting things get this bad. I'm still not giving up, but I need to again figure out how I can indulge one night, but get right back on track the next day. This seems to be where I'm failing (in my opinion)...I indulge too many days in a row. I'm keeping my goal very simple and nondescript this week....aiming for a certain number makes me crazy, so I'm keeping it very loosey goosey ;)

Keep calories low
Exercise a lot
Drink a lot of water

http://www.wafj.com/uploads/images/starting_over.jpg

Jenai - Thank you for getting us started today with that awesome quote! I really needed to read that this morning! Like Mern, I haven't read your posts as whining at all! I do understand you have struggles, like we all do, but it inspires me that you keep forging forward!

Jenn - Very sensible goals....those goals keep you very consistently losing weight! Wishing you a great week!

Mern - You've also set yourself some excellent goals! Glad to read you're going to start incorporating exercise again. That will certainly help get you to your onderland goal!

Libby - Sorry to hear you've had a bad weekend. You and I seem to mirror image each other :p Let's do as Jenai's quote said and "get back up" and make it a strong week.

JediMindTricks 07-07-2014 03:19 AM

Mern and Debbie, I'm really glad I didn't come as whining or crying the last little bit. In my own head that's what I heard so that's why I said that. Thank you both for being very understanding!

Debbie, I'm with you on finding it hard to indulge one day and get back on track the next. I usually indulge in a small, little something every day to combat binges, but sometimes I go really overboard and it's hard to recover the next day. You'll lose that weight again...I'm confident of that!

Jenn, good goals for the week! How are you? I hope you have a great week coming up!

lildebbieg 07-07-2014 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks (Post 109762)
Debbie, I'm with you on finding it hard to indulge one day and get back on track the next. I usually indulge in a small, little something every day to combat binges, but sometimes I go really overboard and it's hard to recover the next day. You'll lose that weight again...I'm confident of that!

Thanks for cheering me on buddy ;) I'm sure some people may look at my weight and think I should just be happy where I'm at. While I realize I'm not overweight, I also know what weight I feel good at. Guess what I'm trying to say, thanks for not judging my personal goal. :)

That thank you is extended to all my fitday friends for giving me an outlet where I'm not judged.

Off to drink copious amounts of water to at least shed the water weight quickly and get back down to business of changing my body composition. :)

Mern 07-07-2014 03:44 AM

Debbie, your post reminded me of what my niece's husband said recently. He reminded his Facebook friends that virtually everyone has his/her struggles with the scale no matter if they're overweight, underweight, or in their recommended weight range. Very few are ideal weight with no temptations and in control 100% of the time. He is 15-20 lbs. underweight and as hard as he tries, he just can't gain weight and have scale numbers where he would feel fetter. Be as compassionate with yourself as you are with the rest of us in our group, forgiving yourself for yesterday and any days before. No sense beating yourself up over the past. We know you have it in you to conquer the scale and while we'd love to have your scale numbers, we know your struggle is just as hard as for those of us who have a whole lot of weight to lose. Loosey goosey is the way most of us are going right now because we're learning to not drive ourselves nuts over strict food intake numbers. Thanks for your encouragement on my easing back into exercise.

Jenai, I come here, as we all do, because I know we can post our true missteps without being judged. This group is all about support--both giving and accepting with respect for one another. :)

Well, I had my lunch revised from eating at home to eating fairly healthfully at a fast food place with food toted from home with two of my younger grandkids. But then my oldest granddaughter (great-granddaughter's mommy) called and invited me to lunch with her sister and the baby, and much to my delight, she suggested a buffet where I could very easily eat on plan. :)

Edited in later: at the buffet I had roasted chicken (I ate the skin) green beans, sauteed peppers and onions, brussels sprouts, about two ounces of teriyaki beef (proud of that control because I could eat a plateful of it) sugar free jello with sugar free whipped topping, but then a one inch cube of Rice Krispy treat and a very small slice of sugar free vanilla cake. So all in all, it was a nicely controlled cheat and I'm OK with it. :D

Mern 07-07-2014 07:22 AM

I just had the greatest compliment--from my 10 year old grandson: "Grandma, I'm not just trying to be nice or anything, but seriously, have you lost weight?" I delighted in telling him that I had lost 7 lbs. since June 25 and it made my day to know for sure that it shows, because had I lost it way more slowly, he very likely would not have noticed a more gradual change.

He was proud of himself for making me feel good. I told him I was going to tell my friends in my "weight loss support group" online that his compliment made me feel good and he said, "Be sure to tell them you said I made your day." LOL

So three of my daughter's four children were extra nice to me today. The fourth is an almost 13 year old girl who is struggling with overactive hormones during a growth spurt, acting like a moody child, and looking like a teenager. But she and I will both live through it. ;) I remember those days when I was her age and would not want to relive them for all the tea in China!

jjrudd 07-07-2014 07:53 AM

That's great Mern. Especially from a 10 yr old boy.
Pretty hot/muggy outside but I have been up and down the stairs many times and had a short walk to drugstore to pick up something for Mom. Don't worry not sick--prescriptions. So far have finished off 2 bottles (500 ml) of water.
Bedroom tidied just not dusted yet. Second load of laundry in dryer.

Mern 07-07-2014 09:11 AM

Thanks, Jenn. Kudos on the walking and stairs exercise in the hot and muggy weather. Glad your Mom isn't sick other than her usual health issues. Oops, taking a reminder from you on the water. I've been drinking some water today, but not enough.

libby135 07-07-2014 09:52 AM

Hi all. First off I want to thank you all for your kind words and support. We had a power failure for 5 hours last night and I didn't go to sleep till the power came back on this morning. I tried to get on the internet but it wasn't working till late this afternoon. I had a lot of catch up reading to do but I don't have time to reply right now. Catch you later and have a good day.

lildebbieg 07-07-2014 12:26 PM

Mern - What a sweet boy!!! So nice to receive such a nice compliment since (I know all too well) kids are brutally honest...your weight loss must really show! ;) Congrats on your progress!

Jenn - Sounds like you got in some nice informal exercise today! Great job!

Libby - Nothing quite like being awake all night eh!?!?! Awful!! I hope you catch some good z's tonight! Maybe you can take a sleeping aid just for tonight so you're ensured a good nights sleep?

Where is everyone else? Hope, Mary, Aimee, Terri, Mike, Nyda, Bea...anyone else I missed? Where are you all! ;)

Accountability Check In

Keep calories low - this is hard to report on since I don't want to count calories but I had a meatless Monday...breakfast -banana & almond milk, lunch-large Greek salad, snack-air popped popcorn dressed with parm cheese and dinner-black beans with salsa and cheese....so probably around 1000-1200 cals?
Exercise a lot - 30 minutes elliptical and 30 minutes skipping intervals
Drink a lot of water - 64 oz....could have been more, but could have been worse!

I like these nondescript goals....it takes the pressure off trying to hit a certain target and just allowed me to do what I could today without feeling guilt. Let's see how tomorrow goes!

lildebbieg 07-07-2014 12:33 PM

I just looked back at my past weigh ins and it's only been 9 short weeks ago that I was at my lowest since tracking here on fitday. 9 weeks.....crazy how much damage one can do in only 9 weeks! I wonder if it will take me 9 weeks to get it back off? I'm about to find out! :p

jjrudd 07-07-2014 01:58 PM

GOALS
1. Keep within carb limit nO
2. 4 servings of fruit/veggies no
3. Exercise 4X for 30 min yes-ish

Personal goals
Clean hall closet
Tidy and dust bedroom yes

Mom and I weren't that hungry for dinner so we ended up having hamburgers (homemade) and coleslaw. Water wasn't in my goals since it's pretty easy to get 6 in when it's hot (and I did). Laundry is folded just not put away. A productive day! Even got some writing in.
Jenn

adyndravo1 07-07-2014 05:22 PM

:o Hello all. I had a good but not so good week. I worked hard all week to get yard in shape for party. It was a nice one. I ordered to much cake. I ate cake every day b between Thursday and Monday today. cake is gone. I can now handle my cake craving for awhile. I have had a ruff early summer. I know I have been more depressed lately then usually. I hope I am finely past that.
I know that If I did not have t his site to come to. A place where I have to be accountable to myself and others. It would be different and much more difficult and probable not be loosing at all. Thank You everyone.:)

Jenai I like the quote, and like you it fits me this last week. Glad to hear your back is feeling better.

Debbie I had a bad week as well. I am determined to get the weight down.

Mern you are 100% aright about this being a place to tell all and not be judged.

Goals for the week
drink lots of water
log everything I eat
Post everyday.

Nyda

JediMindTricks 07-07-2014 05:44 PM

Debbie, just stick your mind to it and you'll get there before you know it. It doesn't matter if you've got 5 lbs to lose or like me and have over 100 to go, we're all in the same boat of trying to learn to stay in control and listen to our bodies.

Jenn, sounds like you've been working well on your goals. Housework and stairs are exercise, you're getting in lots of water, got some writing done, some errands...you been busy!

Mern, what a great compliment, especially for a 10 year old to take notice! Your efforts are paying off!

Nyda, Don't tear yourself up over having too much cake. I hate it when there's leftover treats in my house too because I can't keep my hands off baked goods! Just get right back up again. Glad to hear the yard and party were nice for you!

I had another good day today so far. I've got a long way to go before I fall asleep (usually sometime between 2 and 4 a.m.) and all my food for the day is eaten except my night time atkins and milk. I hope I can last through and not start taking a bite of this and that. I had 4 cookies today, which I wish I'd only had 2. I had two in the middle of the night last night and 2 more this afternoon. That was my one off-kilter moment. I had a good lentil soup for dinner (I posted the recipe and pic) that was tasty and healthy for not very many calories. I limited myself to 1 piece of cornbread, which was really hard to do! Had my popcorn, had my shake and milk this morning and I had 1 more indulgence of 1.5oz of chips. All in all, not a bad day. I'm pretty happy with it. It seems like I've had a lot of junk food snacks, but I have a single serving bag of popcorn, 1.5oz of chips is not very much, and I do admit I should have stuck to just 2 cookies.

After looking at this from a different perspective, I guess I do eat too much junk still. But I guess what I'm happy about is that even though I indulge a little bit each day, I'm not out of control binging anymore. That has me feeling successful. I'm getting in plenty of fiber, protein and my carbs are in check, so I do feel that I am doing well. Although my sodium is still really high. :( I'll have to keep working on that. I'm not sure how to cut that down as much as I need to. Maybe you all can give me some advice on where to cut back that works the best. I know chips and popcorn are probably pretty high. I guess if I had to I could leave them out, but I really need at least one treat, so maybe I could have one or the other each day and not both. I just looked and and realized I'm having 820mg of sodium each day with my shakes and milk alone. But I absolutely cannot live without those. Not sure what to do. :(

Ok everyone, I'm going to stop chattering on and on. Have a good night!

Late Night Update: I realized I calculated the calories wrong for my cornbread so now I'm higher than I want to be. And I sneaked into the pantry and got .4oz of chips again. Big mistake!!! And I was doing so well. :( Tomorrow is another day.

libby135 07-07-2014 09:18 PM

Hi all. DS did a half Ironman which is run 2k bike 90K and run 21.1K and his time was under 4.46 hours. He came in 5th over all and first in his age catagory which is 30 - 39 years. He is 6'3" tall and weighs 164 pounds. He has a runners body for sure. This is his second gold medal this year.
My DH is working a lot of overtime and worked 12 hour shifts both Saturday and Sunday. It"s when I am alone that I get into snacking and this week end was the worst with both my husband and son away. I ate a whole package of cookies one right after another and I know it was from boredom and lonelyness. My meals were high calorie and carbs. On Sunday I slept in and only had coffee and juice till supper time and I over ate breaded chicken thighs and scalloped potatoes, two helpings. I was so hungry after not eating all day and it tasted so good. Monday was better but not perfect and my weight was up 3 pounds from the week end. I wasn't posting much either probably from guilt. I have never been diagnosed with depression but some times I wonder if I am depressed. Some times all I want to do is go back to bed and I can't seem to get much done. I know that when I am active I feel better but some times it's just too much effort. I have to figure things out.
Sorry for rambling on.

JediMindTricks 07-07-2014 11:54 PM

aw, Libby, I'm sorry you're not feeling up lately. I know personally what that's like (I'm on anti-depressants). If you're thinking you might have a problem then you probably do. Your gut and heart are usually right, and I would recommend seeing someone to help you feel better. It could be through counseling, some kind of meds or even both if that's what you need.. Sending love to you. On a wow note...congrats to your DS for his gold medal! That's amazing!!!

As for me, I planned out my menu for the day. 2 atkins shakes/milk, I'm trying an amazing looking new chicken/mushroom/dijon chicken dish with broccoli for dinner (I'm making mashed potatoes for the family too, but I'm skipping that). And for my snacks I will have 3 cookies throughout the day (they're small, so I don't feel bad about having 3) and 1.5 oz of salt & vinegar chips. That will put me at 1400 calories for the day. Crossing my fingers that I can stick to the plan! Oh, I forgot to put on the banana. I'm thinking about blending 1/2 a banana in one of my shakes. Ok, added it, so that will put me at 1460 for the day...still within my target. I hope hope hope I don't stumble today!

I'm also having my monthly phone convo with my nutritionist today that's provided through my husband's work. Those talks are usually very helpful. They're only 15 minutes, but a lot can be said and heard in 15 minutes.

Sorry if I'm monopolizing the thread!!!

lildebbieg 07-08-2014 12:55 AM

Good morning all! I was so proud of myself this morning...I managed to stumble out of bed at 4:45 am to get in a workout before work. I was doing this regularly during the winter and early spring, but when I had the shoulder/back issues in the past few weeks, I kind of lost momentum. As tough as it is to get up that early (some of you apparently are just doing to bed at that time!! :eek:) if I don't get in a workout, I'm most often too busy in the evenings with the kids to squeeze in a workout...especially now that the weather is nice...I woudl rather spend time with the kids outdoors. I pushed myself hard this morning and managed to burn about 10 cals per minute...which is a good burn for me.

It's my wedding anniversary on Friday and we are going out with friends for dinner. I'm already anticipating it and planning to enjoy myself but get right back on track the next day. Hold me accountable!! ;)

Jenai - The lentil soup looks and sounds yummy! I'll have to try it out! I love to add frozen banana to a protein shake!! It's just like a milkshake...in my opinion. Peel the banana, break it in half then freeze it in a container. You can use just one half or both halves, through it in the blender with your Atkins shake and milk....I'm sure it will be yummy!

Libby - Sorry to hear you're down buddy. If you feel like just staying in bed all day...maybe you are depressed? Feeling lonely is tough. I know before I had my kids and my husband was busy working or doing his masters...I spent far too much time alone and I was lonely...and probably depressed as well. You should definitely seek help...like Jenai said..maybe counselling and/or meds could help. Wish there was more I could say or do.

Nyda - Cake for you sounds like chips for me! I could have cakes, pasteries, cookies, etc. in the house and never touch them....but a big bag of salty, crunchy chips.....those don't stand a chance around me! Maybe a shake like what Jenai drinks could help keep your sweet tooth at bay?

Jenn - I love coleslaw!!! Was the coleslaw homemade too? Do you like creamy or vinegary coleslaw? I love them both!!!

Have an awesome and on track day all!

Mern 07-08-2014 05:59 AM

I hope I addressed everyone correctly. Sometimes I get caught posting a reply on a certain subject to the wrong person.

Libby, we're just glad to have you back whether you have time to reply or not. Aw, what rotten luck about the power failure--wishing you a wonderful, refreshing sleep tonight! Quite an athletic son you have! How proud you must be! I don't have emotional eating issues, but I do indulge more in sweets when I'm home alone because my family can't see me doing it. I, too, find that if I'm overly strict during the day I tend to eat more high calorie and high carb foods in the evening. Depriving oneself of food doesn't keep blood sugar stable, so when the blood sugar plummets we crave more carbs. But I know you know that and I understand where you're coming from because I've been there before and will visit there again sometime, I'm sure. I agree that if you think you may have a problem with depression you probably are depressed. Don't apologize for "rambling on"--we're here for support. You can talk as much as you want or need to.

Jenn, I love coleslaw, too--either creamy or the kind with vinegar and sweetener. Congrats on your productive day including exercise, good food, and writing.

Debbie, wonderful Monday report. You worked hard and ate nutritiously and on track. :) Thanks for your sweet words about my grandson's comment on my weight loss. Kids ARE brutally honest sometimes. My age number doesn't bother me at all, but a couple days ago that grandson's 12 year old moody, hormone-riddled sister asked, "How are you, Grandma-65?" I said "Sure." She replied, "Boy, you're old." Then when I told her I'm actually 68 she said, "Boy, you ARE old!" I just smiled and told her I hope she's as healthy as I am when she's my age. Aw, I know it's easier said than done, but try to look forward to your NEW lowest weight since tracking on FitDay and don't fret about your past low being gone. Know that you did it before and you can do it even better THIS time around. :) Oh, my goodness! MAJOR KUDOS on the early morning workout! If I put off exercise until evening, I don't get it done, either. Sometimes I'm just too tired from the day's activities with my grandkids or am babysitting my great-grandbaby. Oh, happy anniversary on Friday in case I forget. Have a wonderful time at dinner with friends. I'll bet you a nickel you'll be right back on track the next day. Mine and DH's anniversary is July 24--43 years for we old-timers. We're going on a day trip on a motorcoach bus to a Big Band concert about two hours away and it includes dinner theater style supper. I'm giving myself permission to eat what I want that day, but don't intend to wildly binge.

Nyda, I'm glad you had a wonderful party. OK, so you enjoyed the cake. I hope the depression keeps getting lighter until you feel happy every day. We're all glad you are a part of our group--you make our thread a better place. :) I love your simple goals--and you know what? I'll bet you'll meet those goals most days this week. Like my doctor says: "You don't have to be perfect--just better than you USED to be."

Jenai, thanks for your kind words about my grandson's compliment, too. :) Great job on making the lentil soup. Lots of nutrition in that shake and milk. I'll have to take a look at your recipe. I'm thinking lentils are too high carb for me, but I'm good at adapting recipes to my doctor's guidelines. Being better than you used to be on junk food is surely something to be proud of and it IS successful. I don't have much advice on salty snacks because I'm more into sweet snacks, but I have cut down on my daily sodium intake to help fight water retention. I use Morton Lite Salt for all my cooking except for soups and pasta water--in soup and pasta it has an icky flavor, but in everything else it tastes like salt. I use low sodium or sodium free beef and chicken bouillon in soups. Mrs. Dash has a nice line of seasonings--all sodium free. I buy low sodium turkey and ham deli meats. Lemon juice also is good to spritz on some foods to cut down on salt. Your chicken dish sounds great! I often put broccoli in a chicken and pasta casserole. Ooh, I'm rooting for you to stay within your calorie target. C'mon--you can do it! Cool that you can talk to a nutritionist on the phone. Ask her for lower sodium advice--maybe she/he has some great tips to pass on to you. I love your posts--no need to ever apologize. No one is forced to read all the posts--there are times some of us have time to just skim the posts and that's perfectly OK. So post away with no reservations.

I didn't get my food planned today except for dinner and evening snack, but so far I've eating according to my food plan:

Breakfast was ham and zero cholesterol egg on half a low carb flatbread.

Lunch was a veggie burger with grilled onions and peppers on the other half of the low carb flatbread

Snack was unsalted almonds with butter spray, artificial sweetener, and cinnamon. Would probably be great warmed up to enhance the flavor.

Dinner will be chicken salad (chicken, onion, celery, zero cholesterol egg, with a dressing of store-bought creamy spinach dip) and a side of cooked broccoli, and sliced tomatoes.

Evening snack: protein shake and green pepper with reduced fat cream cheese

jjrudd 07-08-2014 07:17 AM

Jenai, I had to cut back on sodium and when I started to look at the labels it's in EVERYTHING!! You can buy no sodium chicken broth, canned tomatoes (which works just fine for spaghetti because I'm adding seasonings anyway). Just go through your house and check the nutritional contents. Maybe for the popcorn by an airpopper and measure out a single serving size.

It was creamy coleslaw and yes it was homemade.
Jenn

lildebbieg 07-08-2014 10:57 AM

Accountability Check In

Keep calories low - Monday...Greek yogurt and raspberries, lunch-large homemade chicken cesar salad, snack - small bag of pretzels (I didn't bring enough to work and got hungry...oops!), snack2-air popped popcorn dressed with parm cheese and dinner-black beans with salsa and cheese....so probably again around 1000-1200 cals?
Exercise a lot - 40 minutes skipping intervals
Drink a lot of water - 48 oz....a little low today...I'll aim for more tomorrow but it's almost bedtime so I don't want to down a bunch of water! :p

Another good day in my books!

Mern - How did you do sticking to your meal plan today?

Jenn - good suggestion to read labels. It's shocking to find out how much sodium is in some things!!

Have a good evening all! Hopefully there are more posters tomorrow...it's way too quiet around here this week! ;)

jjrudd 07-08-2014 02:04 PM

A good day food wise although I'm over on carbs. Still healthy choices. Should've got some exercise in but I got 7 glasses of water in today.
Jenn

adyndravo1 07-08-2014 04:28 PM

Evening all. Dog woke us up today. The propane guy was here. So we have our winter heat and it is paid for. I had a lazy day. We did dishes and worked on projects. Had to go 17 miles to the vet today and get more Snovi G4 for the dog. I know that is why she still can run and get up and down off the bed and so on. She is not in a lot of pain most days. It is good to see her out t here running. Maybe there is hope for me.
I did okay today on food. Will have a banana soon. I will out shoveling dirt for a couple of hours tomorrow. Have to get my berry beds ready.

Goals for the week
drink lots of water-m-y,t-y
log everything I eat-m-y,t-n
Post everyday.-m-y,t-y

JediMindTricks 07-08-2014 04:47 PM

Jenn, you're right. I need to pay more attention to labels, and I need to be conscious of choosing low-sodium options in canned goods and stuff (I usually do, but not always).

Debbie, great job on the early morning workout!!!

Today was my best day in a while on sodium...less than 2000mg. Fitday says I should be at about 1500mg. I've got a lot of work to do.

Talked to my health coach today and I totally forgot I have a glucose meter and haven't been checking it at all. I checked it this morning and it was 105. I'm super happy with that. And that's without being on Metformin. If I can keep my numbers lower like that, then I'm pretty confident I won't have to go back on meds. It's amazing what diet and exercise can do for our health!

I had a great day calorie-wise. Less than 1400. I made the most amazing dinner tonight. And Mern, it's only got 1 Tbsp of flour per serving, so I think you could try this one. It's for onion/mushroom/dijon chicken. It was an absolute Pinterest success, and my whole family kept saying over and over how much they liked it while eating. Check out the recipe here. The only thing I did different was use dried thyme instead of rosemary. I'm not a big rosemary fan. I had broccoli and just one bite of my restaurant-worthy garlic mashed potatoes. They were the bomb! But I only had a taste, so I was happy about that too. I've been up for all but 3 of the last 29 hours, so I am going to bed early and hopefully will finally be able to fall asleep. That's why my calories are a lot lower...I am not having my night time atkins with milk.

canary52 07-09-2014 12:15 AM

Here I am tail between my legs, two days late and how many pounds up. Once again, I got rebellious. Tired of planning and logging, determined I could trust myself to eat right and instead I ate every damaging thing in sight and a few I had to go seek out: Philly cheese steak pizza, Chinese beef with broccoli, ice cream. Thing is, this stuff, besides making me gain weight, is making me feel crappy. And didn't taste that good BTW. Well Ok the ice cream did.

I got off one set of fibro meds and in order for me to see if I can do without them, I have to eat well and take care of myself so HERE I AM.

Jenai, don't beat yourself up please. So many of us have needed help or encouragement and have reached out and people here reach back. You guys reach back. Thank you all. We're in this together.

Mern. I love your grandson's comment!! What a sweetie he is!!!

Couldn't read it all, will catch up.

canary52 07-09-2014 12:22 AM

I) plan
2) stick to it, acceptable substitutes allowed
3) 6 glasses of water and with the weather we've had I need it
4) walk, even short ones, when possible
5) stretch every day
6) work first, play later
7) Spanish

Plan:
breakfast:
oatmeal with berries, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds and flax seed oil or cereal and almond milk

Lunch:
ham on gluten free bread, apple

Dinner: grilled fish and veggies

Snacks: (choose 2 or 3)
100 calorie popcorn
raw cashews
homemade hummus over salad or with carrot sticks
goat milk yogurt (better than it sounds)

lildebbieg 07-09-2014 01:03 AM

Hi Hope :) I'm glad you posted! The scale is up for me too...so you're not alone! I think we all do the same thing...when we are off our own personal plan, we don't post here. Maybe we should all make a pact...even if we aren't doing well, no hiding...just put it all out there. Maybe that way we won't get as far off track?

Well I started the day with my usual yogurt and berries (tastes like desert to me! :p) and will be getting in a workout sometime today. Have a great day all and I'll check back in later for accountability.

Mern 07-09-2014 02:47 AM

I don't have time to answer everyone right now. I'll be back later to catch up.

Jenn, way to go on your food and water. How do you feel today considering the bit of carbs overage. I didn't sleep well because of a bad carb cheat in the evening--I've noticed my dreams aren't as pleasant and I wake up more often following a carby evening snack.

Nyda, that's wonderful that you have your propane for the winter and your dog is doing well. Kudos on all the calories you're burning with all the work you do!

Jenai, congrats on your wonderful glucose number without meds! Thanks for the chicken recipe link. I'll definitely check that out. :)

Debbie, congrats on your food and exercise yesterday! I did not do well sticking to my meal plan yesterday after dinner. For dinner I had the low carb, low cholesterol chicken salad (boy, what it yummy!) on low carb flatbread and skipped the veggies although I love them--just wasn't hungry enough for a full meal. But then I cheated badly in the evening with an apple and cinnamon iced/frosted Danish roll AND a snack cake. Perhaps those veggie carbs I skipped would have helped to keep my blood sugar more stable so that I didn't crave sweets in the evening. I'll do better today.

Today's menu:

Breakfast: cherry dairy blend (like yogurt but with only 4 net carbs per 6 oz. container. I also mixed in some unsalted sunflower seeds.

Snack: protein shake

Lunch: leftover chicken salad on half serving of low carb flatbread, celery with soy nut butter

Snack: almonds

Dinner: meatloaf, green beans, spinach based tossed salad with low carb ranch dressing

Snack: protein shake and green bell pepper spread with reduced fat cream cheese

jjrudd 07-09-2014 05:32 AM

Mern, I was over in the morning (had a muffin). Had rice, salmon and garden salad for dinner so I don't notice any difference.
Ended up having scrambled eggs for lunch because by the time I got home I just wanted something that was easy to get ready. Should go and see what we have in the freezer for supper so I'm not "scrounging" around.

Jenn

JediMindTricks 07-09-2014 06:03 AM

Hope! Nice to see you! We all go off track sometimes. I find that I always do better when I log and post. Just get right back up.

Debbie, I'm with you on the pact. I for sure do better when I log. I also run and hide when I'm not doing well.

Jenn, I hope you find something good in the freezer. I hate those scrounge around nights. I usually get into trouble then. Good job on getting in all that water yesterday!

I have an NSV today. I pulled out a pair of stretchy pants that I haven't worn since winter. They were super tight all the way down my leg until the little flair at the bottom. Today, even though they're stretchy, there is actually a little wiggle room everywhere...waist, thighs and calves, all of it! Wow! This is just the type of motivation I need to keep me going. Can't wait to tell dh and kids!

With that NSV I will work even harder today to stay on track. I went to bed early last night (10). Even though I had been awake so long it still took me over an hour to fall asleep. But it was a really good sleep. Yesterday was a great day, and I'm hoping to do just as well today.

I really need to get back to exercising. The problem is when I'm wide awake and the most energetic is usually in the middle of the night when I can't exercise or I'll wake people up. I could try to force myself to do it earlier in the day, it's just so difficult to do when I'm lagging and not energetic. I've got to figure something out.

Ok everyone, have a great day!!!

jjrudd 07-09-2014 01:50 PM

Ended up going out for dinner. While we had plenty of meat we didn't have any veggies except for peas in the freezer. I had chicken souvlaki, rice and greek salad. Salty but otherwise not too bad. Have to do food journal this week and write down my blood glucose readings at meals. It was within range 2 hrs after eating this meal! I was pleasantly surprised.
Jenn

lildebbieg 07-09-2014 02:02 PM

Accountability Check In

Keep calories low - breakfast - Greek yogurt and blueberries and raspberries, lunch-skipped it, snack - air popped popcorn dressed with parm cheese...but I had double what I would normally have because I was hungry from skipping lunch and dinner-shrimp and asparagus....so probably around 1200-1300 cals?
Exercise a lot - 40 minutes skipping intervals...crazy intense!! Even my arms and legs were sweating!! :p I was literally a puddle of sweat after my workout!
Drink a lot of water - 48 oz...low again today

Another decent day...could have been better...could have been worse!

Jenai - Nice NSV!!! So awesome that you're seeing progress! Keep up the great work!

Mern
- How did you do with snacking tonight?

See you all tomorrow!

libby135 07-10-2014 12:22 AM

I have been extremely hungry lately and drinking more water but I am still craving junk food mostly sweets. I hope to get a lot of house work done today and I have got my first load of laundry in, emptied the dish washer and reloaded it. I have pots and pans to wash and 2 bathrooms to clean. If I can get all that done today I will be happy. I decided not to worry about the food so much as long as I keep busy and drink water. That is going to be my focus for the present. I have put the scale away and won't be weighing in for a while.
I just want to get my level of stress down to a manageable level again.

canary52 07-10-2014 01:00 AM

I) plan - yes
2) stick to it, acceptable substitutes allowed - my cousin came to visit and I ate more than planned
3) 6 glasses of water and with the weather we've had I need it- ?
4) walk, even short ones, when possible - no
5) stretch every day - yes twice
6) work first, play later - yes - ish, I cleaned the house for the visit
7) Spanish - yes

Plan:
breakfast:
oatmeal with berries, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds and flax seed oil or cereal and almond milk - cereal and almond milk

Lunch:
ham on gluten free bread, apple - ham on part of a multigrain roll

Dinner: grilled fish and veggies - yes but too much fish

Snacks: (choose 2 or 3)
100 calorie popcorn -no
raw cashews - no
homemade hummus over salad or with carrot sticks - yes but with full fat dressing
PLUS store hummus and chips and carrots and rosemary fig goat cheese with too many gluten free crackers

goat milk yogurt (better than it sounds) no

canary52 07-10-2014 01:01 AM

Thank you for the welcome back! I almost gave up on FD again today but I decided no I will stay. Libby, I have been so hungry lately tooo!!! Craving junk food but trying to get it under control. And I need to drink more water. I put the scale away and brought it back. But I liked not weighing myself all the time so maybe I will put it away again.

canary52 07-10-2014 01:12 AM

Plan:
breakfast: oatmeal with blueberries, coconut flakes and flax oil
lunch: ham, mustard, small amount of mayo and lettuce on gluten free bread
mid meal: Portobello mushroom and goat cheese on gf bread
dinner: grilled scallops or chicken and veg
snacks:
strawberries
100 calories popcorn
100 calories of nuts
2 tiny macaroons

lildebbieg 07-10-2014 02:25 AM

Good morning all :) After posting my accountability last night, I ended up indulging in some wine...which led me to munch on goldfish crackers. Not terrible, but certainly not good either. I was told yesterday by the kids summer camps that my son need a super hero costume for today and my daughter needed two...not one but two...cowgirl costumes for today. So I ended up putting together these costumes last night after the kids were in bed. I was able to dig up stuff from around the house for the most part, but needed to do a bit of sewing and then labelling everything. Phew! That stressed me out which is why I cracked open some wine mid-week. BUT....that was yesterday, today is a new day and I'm just going to get right back at it.

Libby - Do what you need to do for you...we've all taken a break from the scale from time to time...but I do hope you keep posting even if you're not weighing. ;)

Hope - Funny you say you almost gave up on fitday again this morning....I kind of felt the same way. I find it motivating when there are a lot of us here posting, but when it's so quiet I don't feel the same effect. Glad you decided to stick around!! It woudl seriously be a ghost town right now if anyone of us stopped posting! It's Thursday already and I think only 6 of us have posted this week! :eek:

I'm going to focus on getting in more water today since I've been slacking the last 2 days on water....and to rehydrate after drinking wine last night. ;)

Have an awesome day all!

Mern 07-10-2014 03:45 AM

I'm still here--just have been really busy the past couple days and too tuckered out in the evening to post. But except for a carb cheat a couple nights ago I'm very well on track with food and water--but not with formal exercise. My 12 and 10 year old grandkids are going to visit their father out of state for two weeks, so I'll be on vacation at home--no alarm clock going off in the morning. Babysitting my great-granddaughter is play time for me--I don't look on that as a duty. I really do need to get moving on exercise. Failed to do that this week and I'm sure that's why my scale hasn't moved all week--eating well enough to maintain my loss, but not to lose weight. Live and learn, Mern!

Originally Posted by canary52 (Post 109800)
... Philly cheese steak pizza, Chinese beef with broccoli, ice cream. Thing is, this stuff, besides making me gain weight, is making me feel crappy. And didn't taste that good BTW. Well Ok the ice cream did.

I got off one set of fibro meds and in order for me to see if I can do without them, I have to eat well and take care of myself so HERE I AM...

Hope, no need to come here with your tail between your legs. You tell others to not be ashamed to come here to post their shortcomings on certain days--how 'bout giving yourself the same forgiveness? You deserve it, you know. :) Question: do you what it is about the food you ate (in the above quote) -- like is it the carbs, sodium, processed food additives that make you feel bad? Best wishes on the fibro meds change. Your goals and menu yesterday look awesome! Congrats on your stretching yesterday and your -ish work first, play later and Spanish. :) Your food intake looked great to me. Full fat dressing works best for me--low fat has too many carbs for me because they take out the fat and add sugar. I don't understand--something wrong with too much grilled fish? Did it put you over in calories or too much mercury or what? I wanna come to your house and eat the menu you posted today, except for the popcorn. I love it but corn is taboo for me because I have no willpower to limit corn as a veggie or as popcorn. Ooooh--I have unsweetened coconut and zero cholesterol egg blend and artificial sweetener. I'm making myself some "plan legal" macaroons for snack tonight--and I'll have some protein with it.

Jenn, looks like you're eating pretty healthfully, even with the muffin for breakfast. Wow, that's great that your glucose was in range after eating chicken souvlaki, rice and greek salad.

Debbie, great job on your food and exercise--and awesome accountability on the wine and crackers. I have to tell you that posting to you that I had a carb binge evening snack the day before yesterday put accountability in mind--last night I chose a cold, lean pork chop and almonds with butter spray, artificial sweetener, and unsweetened cocoa powder for my evening snack. Wow, you're amazing putting together the costumes at the last minute like that--even sewing!

Jenai! Major kudos on the wiggle room in the skinnier stretchy pants! :) I keep having good intentions but haven't gotten back to formal exercise, either. I weighed this morning and haven't lost anything at all in the past week, but at least I didn't gain. A tenth of a pound loss tomorrow would make me happy, but it would be a scale fluctuation, not something I worked hard enough for.

Libby, maybe getting that stress level under control will also help with your food control. Do you find you crave sweets more when you're under stress? Huge supportive hugs to ya!