FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivational Thread May 12-18 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/11002-motivational-thread-may-12-18-a.html)

libby116 05-15-2014 02:23 AM

Hi all. Today I feel like I have come out from under the cloud of doom and am ready to move forward again. I will let you know later how the day went. I hope that other people are feeling better today too.
Bea you are a beacon for us all this week. You will make it to 50 by tomorrow.

canary52 05-15-2014 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by simplybea (Post 108320)
Hi Everyone,

This thread certainly took a trip south by the end of the day yesterday. Let's see if we can keep it from totally derailing!

I am on track to hit the 50 pound mark loss, for tomorrow's weighin! .2 away, which I intend to blow right past!

I have a friend who is occasionally tagging along on this journey with me, and while she is far less obese than I am, she is much less healthy with all kinds of medical issues.

She believes weighing/measuring and counting calories is too much work!
She is also not having any success, and if anything sliding.

I keep trying to think of what I can say or do that will flick the switch for her, but I'm failing miserably!

I see some key things, but the most notable, I am realizing, is she will say "I am going to TRY to........(fill in the blank)" I say "I'm going to........."

I think the word "try" implies the option to fail.

So for today and "to infinity and beyond!!!", unless it is something, I seriously do not know if I can do, "try" is stricken from my vocabulary!

I WILL be keeping my calories to 1100-1300 today
I WILL diligently watch my sodium today
I WILL do the 2.6 km boardwalk in 36 minutes today, but I am going to try to make it in 35 :)
I WILL be 50 pounds lighter than I was on January 10 of this year, by tomorrow's weighin :D and I am sooooooooooooo freakin excited by it!

Sunshine, rainbows, and fluffy bunnies for everyone!!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are correct!

I love this! So inspirational!!! I won't try either , I will DO!!!

Congratulations on the 50!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the sunshine, rainbows and bunnies. I could use them!!! I bet others can too!!!

Libby, welcome out from under the cloud. I am getting out too (I almost wrote trying but stopped myself, Thank you, Bea!!!) Back pain for 4+ months has gotten me down but I am going for treatment tomorrow and I WILL find a way out of this!!!

Mern 05-15-2014 04:55 AM

I am here--just been so busy and when not busy either someone else was on the computer or I was too tired and going to bed early. I'm also really good at procrastinating. :o

Great granddaughter will be here today for me to babysit until 9PM. I'll try to post if she takes a nap, otherwise I may have to catch up with y'all tomorrow.

Kudos to those of you who are doing well and cyberhugs of support to those who are not.

canary52 05-15-2014 09:25 AM

So glad you're here, Mern. I was just thinking of you today. Just your appearance on the thread makes me happy. And today due to weather, I am in lots of back pain. DH has been having a rough day so believe me when I tell you that the smile you brought just by showing up did worlds of good. So, though you give and do so much, please know you are so valuable.

simplybea 05-15-2014 10:00 AM

Well I can change: TRY to walk the boardwalk in 35 minutes, to......... I CAN walk the boardwalk in 35 minutes!!

This is the fastest I have done it in about 4 years

I started at 5:58 and ended at 6:33 :)
I suppose I should/could download a stopwatch to my phone

Kumochi 05-15-2014 10:29 AM

Can we all blame the full moon? I can't believe tomorrow is Friday already. Happy to see the weekend Not happy to have to weight in. Mary

jjrudd 05-15-2014 02:04 PM

Ate really well today and then at 8pm I went to the fridge and was debating fruit or ice cream...fruit or ice cream and ice cream won.
Jenn

aimeet_1 05-15-2014 05:10 PM

Bea-I think you are right that it means the world of difference not to say the words "try" but rather "will or do". Most def! Also- very excited for you on your 50lbs!!!
Mary- most def the full moon btw ;-)
Mern- nice to see you hon. xoxo
Libby-crossing fingers for you
Jenn- you are making me hungry.
Hope- I am sorry to hear your back pain has been acting up, but hopefully better soon!

1. Log foods daily (M/N, T/Y, W/Y, Th/y
2. Drink 4-5 glasses water daily (M/N, T/N, W/Y, Th/N
3. Workout/gym 3-4 times week (M/Y,T/N, W/Y, Th/Y
4. Stay under 1400-1500 calories daily (M/y, T/Y, W/Y, Th/Y

simplybea 05-16-2014 01:31 AM

Let's finish this week on a high note!

In Canada it is a long weekend, but I am opting to work on Monday for essentially double time and a half! I have vacation at the end of August, so I will tuck it away until then

So, today:

I WILL keep calories to under 1300 ( I ended at 1000 even yesterday and I am genuinely hungry today, my kitty is looking tasty :) )

I WILL restrict sodium today

I WILL do something in this absolutely, beautiful gorgeous weather... I may go to the beach this evening and walk there

I WILL be kind and encouraging (without being phony, cause I just won't do that crap) to everyone I come in contact with today. If I can't find something nice to say, I'll just smile :)

I WILL be grateful

canary52 05-16-2014 01:54 AM

Goals (some borrowed) from: ( technically starting Tuesday but will log for M)
1) 6 glasses of water: y, y, 8 glasses and I think it helped!!! 9 glasses, definitely helps!
2) mindful eating:Y, y though too much I guess yes in terms of what I ate but no in terms of how ( distracted) Yes
3) mindful speech: y, y no, talked too much Yes
4) stretch: y, y, y, y
5) walk or gym 2-3 x: N yes and danced at Bruce Springsteen show no tiny baby walk, baby steps
6) thro out 5 pieces of paper or 3 items: N Y,Y, Y
7) lose a pound at least: N, N - gained weight, WHAT???, GAINED MORE, HUH???? lost depending on my early morning weigh in (135) or my later one (134.2) either 3 or 4 pound so far
8) 1288 calories max: N, N, Y N, just over, 1298

jjrudd 05-16-2014 02:32 AM

I lost 1.5lb this week. Happy Dance :D
I guess my eating was better than I thought it was.

Jenn

simplybea 05-16-2014 02:36 AM

YAYYY Jenn, well done!

lildebbieg 05-16-2014 03:18 AM

Bea - Thanks for the post and pep talk on changing our dialogue. Words have power! This is just what I needed to read today, so thank you :)

taubele 05-16-2014 06:14 AM

Hope: The journey has just begun :) Thanks. The chinese went okay. I ordered a lunch-sized portion (though it was still gigantic) and ate some for lunch, some for dinner. I did have an eggroll too, so that was a little indulgence. I actually did okay on calories Thursday considering all meals were out and ended with a deficit, but I'm sure my sodium was sky high. I ended up ordering lemon chicken with steamed rice and the eggroll. The lemon chicken had more sauce than I am used to seeing on lemon chicken, but I don't think it was fried.

Libby: I hope you're hanging in there. Sharing your troubles and thoughts isn't getting us down, it's getting it off your shoulders, if you feel like it! :)

Jenai: Don't let the gain get to you. I often post a gain before a big loss. Sometimes I think it's my body just trying to hold on to that weight for as long as it can!

aimeet: LOVE those quotes you posted. This one is one of my favorites: "No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying" (often attributed to Tony Robbins)

Bea: Looking forward to seeing you get to that 50 goal! Woohoo!!! Love the energy!

Good to see you Mern!!! I hope you had fun with great-GD!

Jenn: Congrats on the loss! Doesn't that just make the week feel better? Haha! So happy for you!!

As for me: I am exhausted today, and I did my very faitful best to log what I ate on Wednesday and Thursday, though these are rough estimates at best and actual numbers may be up or down from what I logged. Dinner Wednesday, and Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner on Thursday were all entirely out of my hands and involved eating out or someone cooking for me, so I honestly don't know what precisely went into my mouth and just logged the FitDay values for the food, or looked up a few recipes online and averaged the calories. I've gotten a lot better at eyeballing portions, but I usually log up (if I think it's 3/4 of a cup, I log a cup, etc.)

Wednesday's dinner ended up being chicken parmesan and these bacon-wrapped shrimp thingies for appetizers. I allowed myself three bacon-wrapped sinful things (they were delicious). I logged such a large deficit even eating chicken parm because of a 45 minute workout - I usually log about 800 calories burned on that particular workout, and Wednesday was no exception. I managed not to faint, too! Thursday we went out for Chinese, and as I said to Hope I got a larger lunch portion (lemon chicken, steamed rice, and a vegetable eggroll). I ate the leftovers from lunch for dinner and was satisfied with that. In the end I estimated deficits for both days, but my water consumption was WAY down. I made the conscious decision not to weigh this morning as I was sure I would be up from sodium.

The meeting went really well; back on the saddle today. I have three more papers to grade until I am DONE and I also need to phone in for a conference call soon, I just wanted to check in with you all first :) Happy weekend! I'll be here logging!! I am not sure if I am going to hit my -4,000 goal (I need to basically have a -700 deficit every day to do it, and today AGAIN lunch was out of my hands and I'm at about 1,000 cals already) but I WILL make it a goal to do it!!

Daily Goals
1) At least 72 oz. of water per day M: yes T: yes. I forgot how annoying it is to go to the bathroom like every hour! W: no Th: no
2) NO mindless eating M: yes, everything was mindful T: yes W: yes Th: yes
3) Log everything M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: yes (I had to estimate a lot on W and Th because most meals were prepared for me)
4) Protein ~25-30% of daily/weekly calories M: 25% T: 26% W: 20% Th: 21% Average: 23%
5) Calorie balance for the week: -4,000+ (rather than logging intake, I'm going to log my activity - food daily) M: -708 T: -769 W: -628 Th: -259 Total: -2164
6) Five days of exercise (M-F), follow Turbo schedule M: yes T: yes. Feeling it today! W: yes Th: scheduled off day

~Terri

simplybea 05-16-2014 06:22 AM

Terri - The wait is over!! I hit 51.1 loss today :D

Kumochi 05-16-2014 10:01 AM

WAY TO GO BEA. 50 POUNDS PLUS is great.

JediMindTricks 05-16-2014 12:46 PM

Jenn, congrats on your loss!
Bea, way to go! That's impressive!!!

I'm so disappointed. After showing a mid-week loss of several pounds, and not eating hardly anything since then, I'm now only at a .6lb loss for the week. My "enthusiastic bubble" burst. I didn't eat out, I didn't overeat. My average calories for the week was at about 1300/day, which usually gives me a 2lb loss. But this week? Nothing.

My new exercise program came, Slim in 6. I'm going to have Monday be my official start day for that. It's a 6 week program, but I will have to do many many rounds of it to make a dent in getting to where I need to be.

taubele 05-16-2014 11:04 PM

Congratulations Bea!!!!!

And Jenai, don't worry about it. It could be ANYTHING. Phases of the moon, sodium, a little water gain. Dairy makes me balloon up sometimes, I notice if I just eat a lot of cheese but calories are good I'm suddenly up two pounds. Hugs for you - it will be okay!

Kumochi 05-17-2014 12:18 AM

Jenai - I back up what Terri said. That's why the scales is so annoying. It really gets to us when it does not reward us for all our hard work. We should have a no scales competition next week i.e. see who can go the longest without weighting before Friday. I would have to hide the scales Sunday so I didn't automatically step on it. Then I would have to fight the urge to weight in several times a day. The only time I don't weight daily is when I have given up and know I am gaining.

Who's in for scales abstinence week? Mary

jjrudd 05-17-2014 01:31 AM

Thanks ladies! I told Mom and she said "that's nice dear". It's nice to have people rooting for me.
Jenn

libby116 05-17-2014 02:09 AM

I am going along with not weighing till Friday but I propose that we also tell about our NSV non scale victories this week. Who is in? I have gotten a bit obsessive to the point of not wanting to eat because I didn't know what to eat. It makes me crazy and then by the end of the day I am eating junk because I am so hungry. That is part of the all or nothing mentality and I also have a fear of losing which I need to get over. Lots to work on this week.
I was doing so well last year and this year I have made no progress in fact I have gained weight since January. I need to turn my life around.

lildebbieg 05-17-2014 02:50 AM

Hi all :) I was finally able to get in a workout today. I hurt my shoulder over a week ago and have been nursing it ever since.

Mary - "The only time I don't weight daily is when I have given up and know I am gaining." So true...at least for me!

I've been too inconsistent lately, so having another week where I'm avoiding the scale is not a good idea for me. I'm all for sharing NSVs though and sharing positive thoughts and sending encouragement to those who need it. Last week, I was needing some encouragement because I've sincerely been struggling. I had someone tell me that my goal weight is unhealthy and in fact underweight. I then found myself feeling the need to defend my goal of a healthy 114 lbs. This is what I weighed only 6 years ago, 6 months after having my daughter. It's not an unrealistic or unhealthy goal by any means. Even if I weighed 101 lbs. (which I think is very low by the way) I would still be in a healthy weight for my height. It's for this reason that I have been on this journey in silence for the most part....except for here on fitday. At work, a group of women started a weight loss group to support each other...I wanted to join in but I didn't dare because I knew there would be some who looked at me and thought "what the heck is she doing here...she doesn't need to lose weight". So I just go it alone...except for the support I've received here. So to those of you who have supported me and not judge my goal, thank you. To the others......well nuff said :rolleyes:

simplybea 05-17-2014 04:02 AM

Hi Everyone,

What a glorious day and weekend!!

I will pass on the no weighing until Friday, because a daily weigh keeps me accountable. It would be far too easy for me to slip up and decide I won't see the results, so I have time to work on it... (I know how I work/think)

As for NSVs... This one is gross and kinda bothersome, but I am seeing some deflation in my thighs. I know it needs to be, but sag and wrinkles suck! Even though it looks EWWW it certainly feels better, and I can always hide it in spanx! :)

jjrudd 05-17-2014 04:49 AM

Oh Libby I know how you feel! I need to eat low carb but I also have to watch my sodium intake. When I first started out I did become obsessive about it and became really frustrated. Everyone thinks "oh my gosh, what do you eat?". It's all about eating things that are not processed. Our society used to do it.

I try to only weigh once a week but like others have commented sometimes I have to make sure I'm not fluctuating too much so I often check mid week. I'm in for only once though!
Jenn

Robingen 05-17-2014 10:14 AM

Hello everyone I guess I will join in late (rather than procrastinating to Monday yet again).

Since meeting my goal last Aug my weight has been creeping back up. I made a couple of false starts to get on this thread again because IT HELPED ME SO MUCH TO LOSE THE WEIGHT.

So here I am starting simple. I am starting at 8 glasses of water and 1K of walking per day.

libby116 05-17-2014 12:38 PM

My NSV today was at supper time. I took a ham steak and put half of it back.
I was sanding furniture and staining it. Now I am very tired. It was a good day.
I'm sorry Debbie.

JediMindTricks 05-17-2014 05:26 PM

Libby, your post so much like me so much of the time! If it's not too personal to share, what do you attribute your fear of losing to? I think mine is men. When I'm thin and fit I am actually a very attractive person, and I don't like the attention.

Debbie, we're here to support you!

Robin, hi there! Starting simple is a good idea. Too much too fast will become overwhelming I think.

Libby, way to go on the NSV!

Well, I had the ultimate melt down. I've been so frustrated over my lack of weight loss this past week despite being spot on with my calories for the week, that I completely lost it. Tonight I had a double scoop Culver's vanilla hot fudge sundae, which came to about 67% of my total daily calorie target (so I ended up going way over for the day). I get the thinking that I was so good for no results, why bother? And I had a meltdown. I know I'll be paying for it. I already have guilt. Looks like another 800 calorie day for me tomorrow (and probably another day as well) to make up for it.

simplybea 05-17-2014 10:21 PM

Debbie, Libby, and Jenai (((hugs))). I'm sorry, things are difficult right now.
Welcome back Robin!

I'm busy making my meal plan for the week, grocery list and getting all my price matching flyers/eflyers ready. A 90% produce, weekly grocery bill can be crazy expensive, unless I can price match sales elsewhere

Does anyone else find it is easier to eat healthy if they have the plan and the decision is already made? Then there is no last minute scramble and possible derailment

Robingen 05-18-2014 12:23 AM

Thanks Bea, for the welcome back. I need to get back to my maintenance path quick!

I think planning ahead is very impt. Planning while you are shopping and daily planning of meals and snacks. Personally I plan with "options" but I know others plan in more detail than that. I know part of my weight gain was the low priority I gave food, therefore making lots of bad last minute choices (usually fast food).

Jenai If you expect to lose every week you will be disappointed. And therefore at risk for the binge guilt cycle. It's not a precise science and you will have weeks with more or less loss even when everything stays the same. Stay on track!

Good day Libby.

I am wondering if I have the determination to walk in the pouring rain. I'm sure the dog will go!

libby116 05-18-2014 02:21 AM

I said that I wouldn't weigh myself but I had such a good day yesterday that I wanted to know if my weight was down. I gained 2 pounds:eek: WTH
I wasn't sitting on my butt, I wasn't stuffing my face. There is no reason for this.
If it doesn't rain I am going for a walk outside this afternoon.

Robingen 05-18-2014 03:39 AM

Libby I think you should weigh yourself if it helps you and NOT weigh yourself if it doesn't!

There's no way you gained 2 pounds, it will even out.

Went for a walk in the pouring rain, went farther than planned. The dog and I are both out of shape:). Checked out the fiddleheads but there's not many, won't be much of a season this year, there was WAYY too much snow. Best spot is still flooded.