FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Motivation and Support (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/)
-   -   Motivational Thread Starting 12/30/2013--Resolution Time (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/motivation-support/10462-motivational-thread-starting-12-30-2013-resolution-time.html)

jjrudd 12-30-2013 03:09 AM

Motivational Thread Starting 12/30/2013--Resolution Time

Good morning everyone. We are almost at a new year. Hopefully this one will be better than 2013 for me:eek:
I'm not a big resolution person but I think it's always a good idea to have some ideas to maybe do something new, or ways to better ourselves.

GOALS
1. Stay within carb limit
2. Eat 4 servings fruits and vegges
3. Drink 6 glasses of water
4. Lose 1.5lb

Personal goals
1. Clean and organize "computer room"
2. De-clutter living room
3. write more (journal or blog)
4. not to let people's thoughts or actions have power over me (this is one of my resolutions--a tough one)

Jenn

jjrudd 12-30-2013 01:27 PM

GOALS
1. Stay within carb limit not quite
2. Eat 4 servings fruits and vegges 3
3. Drink 6 glasses of water NO
4. Lose 1.5lb

Personal goals
1. Clean and organize "computer room"
2. De-clutter living room yes and kitchen
3. write more (journal or blog) NO--should have!!
4. not to let people's thoughts or actions have power over me (this is one of my resolutions--a tough one)

libby116 01-01-2014 03:36 AM

Happy New Year every body.

GOALS
1. Stay within calorie limit under 1100
4. Lose 1 pound
5. Post daily and weigh in on Friday no matter what
6. Use the treadmill 3 + times a week
7. Use hand weights 3 times a week

Personal goals
1. Clean and organize sewing room
2. De-clutter living room
3. Donate clothes that are too big
4. Work on quilts and finish up projects before starting more
5. Keep the kitchen clean

Thanks Jenn for starting us off this week.

Mern 01-01-2014 03:51 AM

Happy New Year, Everyone :)

Like Jenn, I'm not a big resolution person, but I do think it's a great time for a restart. If nothing else, my New Year resolution for weight loss will at least give me a jump start.

On December 18 I told my doc I would not binge eat, but would eat what I wanted during the holidays and then restart my weight loss diet New Year's Day. So, here I am.

I got burned out on exercise and Doc told me that any exercise is better than none, so at her suggestion, I am setting my beginning goal for exercise at three days a week instead of five, so anything extra I do will be a bonus.

I just finished a mile of aerobic walking. Will do another mile later today.

I don't know what I weigh. 230 something. I weighed 231 on Dec. 18. My scale is broken and it told me this morning I weigh 291-- and I'm sure I didn't gain 60 lbs. in two weeks. As soon as I finish this post, I'm off to the store to get a new one.

My goals starting today are:
Calories: 1200-1600 per day
Sat fat average: maximum 12% of total calories
Dietary cholesterol average: maximum of 250mg per day
Fiber average: minimum 25g per day
Protein average: minimum 120g per day
Net Carbs average (total carbs less fiber): maximum 25g per day
Exercise: 3 days per week for first three months. Any extra is a bonus
Water 64 oz. per day.

Mern 01-01-2014 03:55 AM

Hi, Libby and Jenn. So nice to have your company on my restart. :)
Headed to the store. Can't wait to see who else joins us today.

01gt4.6 01-01-2014 03:58 AM

Good morning and happy new year ladies.:D

jjrudd 01-01-2014 04:29 AM

Hi Libby, Mern and Mike.
Like you Mern I have slacked off on the exercise. It's Jan 1 and I need to get back into a healthier routine!
Jenn

dmartz 01-01-2014 05:33 AM

Motivation?

Happy New Year, y'all! Just stopped by to see if there was Sugar on this site yet. Alas, no. But I thought I'd at least say Hi, and, give an update:

After logging nearly everything I ate for more than 20 months, I stopped logging in October. We rented a beach house for the month of October, and being on vacation and all, I quit logging. I was pretty active that month, and didn't feel like I needed to log any more. Then came the holiday season, opening with that most dreadful holiday, Halloween. That rolled right into Thanksgiving, which was at my house this year. We had Turduckens, and lots of leftovers. Then party, party, party, Christmas. Oh, and of course lobsters for New Years Eve, and lots of Champagne.

So... Today's assessment shows that I'm bumping up on the underside of my original weight loss goal, ~ 5 pounds over my "stretch" goal, and 8 over where I was when I stopped logging. That's right, in the last three months I've gained about eight pounds, (from ~ 112 to 119.5). Or basically about a pound a week since Halloween.

I'd like to get back down to 115 again, as that's a good set point for me. I figure if I can gain a pound a week, I should be able to lose weight like that too, right? But somehow I don't think it'll work like that!

Anyway, it's back to logging for me! I have still been working out, (with a trainer) twice a week, and have been lifting more weight lately, but I don't think lifting is the cause of my weight gain. I'm pretty sure it's purely an ingestion issue. Stop logging = gain weight. So it's back to logging!
And more aerobics. I need to get my stamina up for a ski trip in Feb.

And I might drop back by here once in a while. After all, I wouldn't want to miss poetry month!

- Donna

lildebbieg 01-01-2014 06:45 AM

Hi all:) Is there room for one more? Now that my own personal New Year's Eve challenge is over, I'm looking for somewhere to check in for accountability and motivation. I came so close to my NYE goal of 126...only missed it by .8 lbs. My ultimate goal is to get back down to 110 lbs. which I resolve to achieve this year! 16 lbs. may not sound like a lot but I'm a slow loser :p I'm currently doing a 12 week exercise challenge (that another smart FitDay-er got me going on....you know who you are ;)), which I intend to finish. Also, I'm on day 13 of a 30 day rotation I started. I like to change things up every 30 days or so to keep it interesting. Looking forward to an active check in forum and getting to know others here on FitDay!

My goal for the remainder of the week:

1. Get back on track with my diet (egg muffins for breakfast, salad for lunch, protein + greens for dinner and Greek yogurt and fruit or veggies and hummus for snacks)
2. Drink 8 glasses of water
3. Workout daily
4. Workout doubles at least twice

Personal goals
1. Undecorate my house! :D
2. Make an appointment for a haircut (I always put this off!....my hair is very long as a result! LOL!)
3. Build a skating rink for the kids (this is an ambitious one...but it make actually happen!)

cjohnson728 01-01-2014 07:06 AM

Hi guys and gals...

I am almost in tears of relief to see some of my old friends here, if they haven't disowned me for my disappearing act. I can't remember how long it's been.

I am also not much for resolutions, but I am in favor of sanity, and unfortunately I have dipped into the insane over the past several months. Long story short, but essentially my previously balanced life turned into two full-time jobs, working 60+ hours a week, legal wrangling, and major milestones on the home front.

I'm about down to 1.5 jobs now, but also realizing that I need to do something to stop the crazy and actually do something for myself for a chance, so I am going to make my best effort to be back on a regular basis.

Ironically, this time last year, I had posted that rather than making resolutions, I would pick one word and try to have that govern my year. I picked "balance," and I did the exact opposite.

I took this week off from everything to make myself sort it all out, and to write and to connect and to regroup and to catch up. I once got so much strength from you all, and I need to do so again.

Happy, happy, happy new year to everyone...I look forward to catching up on what's going on with old friends, and on making some new ones!

Mern 01-01-2014 07:56 AM

Hi to Mike! Are you going to post goals or are you just moderating?

Donna, welcome back. I've been gone, too. Incredible how much weight we can gain during the holidays. I wonder if that's our bodies' knee jerk reaction to a sudden onset of fat and calories and maybe it (just the rapid gain part) CAN come off as quickly as we put it on.

lildebbieg, we're always happy to have new people join our group. So welcome! :) I hope you find the motivation and accountability that you need here. I had in the past and when I left I started regaining. I really do need the support. Oh, thanks for the reminder. I forgot about those handy egg muffins that can be cooked up ahead of time. I enjoy them with broccoli or ham added. I've restarted weight loss many times. Congrats on your net loss to date.

Cassie, hi! I've been gone for many months. OMG, I can't imagine working 60+ hours a week--do you feel both physically and mentally run down? How's your son? I am immensely enjoying babysitting my now four month old great-granddaughter two or three times a week. She's a fun, healthy, happy baby. :)

cjohnson728 01-01-2014 08:28 AM

Just beginner's goals for me again as I get my feet wet...

1. Log everything
2. Get some exercise of some sort daily.
3. Post/check in daily.

Mern, hi to you as well! I am so glad you are enjoying that great-grandbaby. I had both my grandmothers close growing up and it was a priceless blessing. I know you will need your stamina as she gets older and starts to scoot around!

I am indeed physically and mentally exhausted. On a good note, my son is doing well, but busy, and unfortunately he's developed some of my bad workaholic habits, and my concern for him is part of what was a wake up call for me. So as they say, everything happens for a reason, right?

On another good note, I've heard that what you do on New Years, you will do all year long, so I am on FD and my hubby and son are cleaning the basement. I could get used to this ;)!

jjrudd 01-01-2014 09:51 AM

Welcome back Donna and Cassie. The more the merrier Debbie! So nice to have a big group again!
Jenn

libby116 01-01-2014 10:52 AM

It's been a productive day but I still have a lot to do. I walked into the sewing room and didn't know where to start with the clean up. I am going to plan out what I want to accomplish before I tackle that room. Till then I am keeping the door closed. The project that I am working on now is knitting an afghan for the couch. I gave up on the sweater and decided to make an afghan instead. Today went well.

GOALS
1. Stay within calorie limit under 1100 W-Y
2. Eat 4 servings fruits and vegges W-Y
3. Drink 6 glasses of water W-Y
4. Lose 1 pound
6. Use the treadmill 3 + times a week W-Y

Personal goals
1. Clean and organize sewing room (get a few projects done first)
2. De-clutter living room W-Y
3. Donate clothes that are too big (when I lose 10 pounds)
4. Work on quilts and finish up projects before starting more
5. Keep the kitchen clean W-Y

01gt4.6 01-01-2014 11:48 AM

Cassie and Donna, nice to "see" y'all again.

Mern, I'll be lurking until Monday.

eej5 01-01-2014 12:24 PM

Hi, all.

I've recently returned to fitday after a long hiatus. I first started using this site more than 10 years ago.

A lot has happened since then, and now I find myself 20+ pounds above my healthy weight range and 50 pounds heavier than I was 10 years ago.

We're struggling with infertility (again), and I know dropping the weight and being more active will help.

When we were successful with our daughter, I was in the same spot. I dropped 20 pounds, and got pregnant. Maybe it was coincidence, but I don't think so.

So here I am hoping to join your group and resolve to clean up my act in the new year.

I actually started Friday when we found out our latest attempt to get pregnant failed.

My daily health goals going forward...
Keep calories to 1600-1700 per day
No sugars outside of whole fruits and limited whole grains
Work out five days a week
Drink more water
Yoga and/or meditate every day

Erin
1/1/14 -- 186 pounds
Immediate Goal -- 160 pounds
Longterm Sustainable Goal -- 145-150 pounds

rosebud512 01-01-2014 01:19 PM

Happy New Years to everyone I'm a newbie. I'm trying to lose weight again I was doing fine until I started lacking off because of my job duties. I hope to lose the 25 pounds I gain and lose some more weight. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this struggle just turned 50 last November so I'm trying to get use to the changes in my body with menopause and all but I'm handling it well. so, again I just wanted to say hello and wish me luck.

adyndravo1 01-01-2014 01:20 PM

Hello everyone. Hi to all the old faces and welcome to the newcomers. Everyone is welcome here. I got the bakery job and work 3 to 4 days a week. for 7 hours a day. I do a lot of heavy lifting of forzen bread dough. So easy not to eat any. Because of the job I only gained 3 pounds back. I know that posting here makes a difference. I have to have someplace where I am held accountable for the bad choise I make. I alsooooo really missed everyone here. It is nice to know that at the end of each day I can come here and read everyones posts. It caps the day off, and I know I did my best, or that I need to work harder.
no goals this week. I just want to get back on track. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! Nyda.

Mern 01-01-2014 09:30 PM

Restart report beginning with Wednesday:

Calories: 1200-1600 per day 1228
Sat fat average: maximum 12% of total calories 11%
Dietary cholesterol average: maximum of 250mg per day 227mg
Fiber average: minimum 25g per day 40g
Protein average: minimum 120g per day 127g
Net Carbs average (total carbs less fiber): maximum 25g per day 20g
Exercise: 3 days per week for first three months. Any extra is a bonus 1
Water 64 oz. per day. Lost track--probably closer to 48 oz.

Cassie, you are so right about needing my stamina to keep up with my great-granddaughter. Noticing how stiff I am getting up and down from the floor playtime is what spurred me to restart. I hope you can help your son find balance in work and free time before he heads off for college. I know it's not easy for those who are driven to work hard for success. Geez, I wish I'd had a basement to put my husband in a couple days ago when he was so crabby. LOL

Libby, great restart yesterday! I never did learn to knit or quilt. Wasn't interested in doing it myself, but surely do admire the artistry of others.

Mike, looking forward to seeing your goals Monday.

Erin, welcome back to Fitday. Glad you joined our group. How old is your daughter? Best wishes on your weight loss and future pregnancy.

Rosebud, is your given name Pretty or is that a nickname? I love your username of rosebud, too. :) Best wishes as you travel through menopause. I believe that drastically curbing caffeine intake helped get me through the hot flashes. Whether that's true or a figment of my imagination doesn't matter in the end.

Nyda, hi! Congrats on the bakery job and on your restraint in eating baked goods. My father was a great baker--he made yeast rolls, breads and doughnuts that make my mouth water just thinking about them. Like you, I needed to come back here for encouragement to be accountable to myself and to share support in this journey to better health.

cjohnson728 01-02-2014 12:40 AM

Mern, congrats on a great day yesterday! If you were closer, you could stash your husband in my basement. Unfortunately, I made the mistaken assumption that they were down there cleaning (since that is what they said they were going to do...silly me). They were actually playing Xbox, but have promised to clean it this weekend.

I see I'm not the only one who's struggled as a result of job situations. Nyda, I totally relate to enjoying capping the day off with FD, and also starting it out that way.

Libby, knitting an afghan sounds like a wonderfully warm pasttime. I am also personally a big fan of keeping the door closed until ready to deal with it...both with regard to messy rooms and metaphorically with looming issues :o. I know you'll get to it when it's time.

Jenn, Donna, Mike; hi and Happy New Year; great to see you!

Erin, best of luck with being able to conceive. I am sure that is a long, emotional road, but seems like you are doing everything you can.

Hello Rosebud. You are definitely not alone in the struggle. Good to meet you.

Well, yesterday I logged everything, did some time on the exercise bike, and posted. Now I just need to keep doing it long enough to make it a habit! Will check in later.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

eej5 01-02-2014 02:08 AM

Good morning, everyone.

Thanks for the welcome.

Mern... my little one just turned two, so that should help my weight loss efforts. Her favorite game right now is "race," which just means running in circles around the house or down the street.

She also loves to do the pokey pickey (hokey pokey), which I realized is a lot more cardio than I remember.

I really struggled with wanting to binge at the end of the day yesterday, which is my usual pattern, but I stayed strong. I made a cup of herbal tea and ate a clementine, but resisted other temptations.

Erin
1/1/14 -- 186 pounds
Immediate Goal -- 160 pounds
Longterm Sustainable Goal -- 145-150 pounds

libby116 01-02-2014 09:53 AM

Hi every one. It is so nice to have new and returning people on the board.
We can all encourage each other. Tomorrow is weigh day and I hope to see the scale moving down again now that I am back on track. Come and join us.

libby116 01-02-2014 10:02 AM

Today went well.

GOALS
1. Stay within calorie limits under 1100 W-Y T-Y
2. Eat 4 servings fruits and vegges W-Y T-Y
3. Drink 6 glasses of water W-Y T-Y
4. Lose 1 pound
5. Post daily and weigh in on Friday no matter what W-Y T-Y
6. Use the treadmill 3 + times a week W-Y T-Y
7. Use hand weights 3 times a week T-Y

Personal goals
1. Clean and organize sewing room (I bought some storage boxes}
2. De-clutter living room W-Y T-Y
3. Donate clothes that are too big Y
4. Work on quilts and finish up projects before starting more Y
5. Keep the kitchen clean W-Y T-Y

Mern 01-02-2014 10:41 AM

Cassie, thanks for your encouragement on my restart. You are doing well, too. Isn't there some myth about if you do something for 17 days in a row it will become habit? Or maybe I'm just an exception to the rule--it takes way longer than that for me. I got in part of my exercise today by laying 4 month old great-granddaughter on the floor on a blanket and dangling my resistance band above her (just so she could grasp it but not strangle on it or put it in her mouth) while I did the aerobic walking steps. She seemed to enjoy the new game. I got a chuckle out of reading your son and DH were playing Xbox instead of cleaning the basement. Thanks for the offer of your basement if I lived closer. So that won't work, but USPS has that shipping bargain "If it fits [in the box] it ships." Beware if the postman heads to your door with a box big enough to hold a 6' 1" man.

Erin, kudos on resisting the binge eating last night. Evenings are hardest for me, too. I've been trying to plan ahead for my evening snack to avoid binges. Eating 6 small meals instead of 3 larger ones also helps me keep from binging most of the time. I think because eating that way helps stabilize blood sugar so cuts down on cravings. It's usually carbs that I crave. I have been known to binge on occasion despite my knowing how to not do that. Your little one sounds adorable--and like quite a workout. :) "Hokey pickey" (how cute is that!) does sound like cardio now that I think about it.

Libby, congrats on another great report! Best wishes on your weigh in day. :)

libby116 01-02-2014 11:03 AM

Hi Mern. Did you get a new scale? I have to step on mine 3 times to know if it's working LOL.
I haven't made much progress since September so Now it's time to get my butt in gear and use the treadmill and hand weights. Now that I have some DVD's thanks to Deb I know what to do. I am going to work on it gradually so I don't injure myself. If I can lose another 20 pounds this year I will be happy after all it took me 30 years to gain it. Am I still the shortest person on the board? Small but mighty! Have a great day all.

lildebbieg 01-02-2014 12:00 PM

Hi all :)

Checking back in to say...I should never create goals that I'm not going to stick to...only setting myself up for failure. When I posted here the other day and saw other peoples goals of water consumption, calorie goals, etc. I followed suit and set up similar goals. Rewind back to all the times I've tried to lose weight in the past decade...yes decade!! I either counted points or counted calories and felt confined and like a constant failure. This time around, I once again started by counting calories which is why I ended up here again on fitday. HOWEVER....I again felt confined and like a constant failure. I then made a miraculous discovery....I can do this without counting calories! I just stay honest with myself...I drink water when I'm thirsty....I don't restrict anything I eat, but I do pay attention to portion control...and I workout ALOT (which I love!!!!). So that's it...I'm going to check in with my workouts for accountability and leave the other goals to those of you that they work for :)

12 Week Exercise Challenge, 84 days...84 workouts
Week 5, Day 1 - yes
Week 5, Day 2 - yes
Week 5, Day 3 - yes
Week 5, Day 4 - yes
Week 5, Day 5 - yes
Week 5, Day 6 - bad day....did no exercise at all!
Week 5, Day 7 - back n track!! :D

Libby - So glad you received the package! Hope you like the workouts! I'm excited to hear what you think of them as you get a chance to try them out!

eej5 01-02-2014 01:01 PM

Thanks, Mern... carbs are my downfall too. I made sure to save back some calories today... so I've got 150 or so I can "spend" tonight on an after dinner snack. Trying to decide what I want most. It probably sounds crazy, but I think it might be toast. Mmmm... bread. :D

And I too have to step on the scale multiple times. I guess I probably need a new one as well. This morning, I got three different weights -- with a full pound of difference -- within 10 seconds.

adyndravo1 01-02-2014 02:11 PM

I had a quite day. did some sewing and took a nap. When my sister got up from her nap we tried to get spot in the pet carrier. My sister lost control adn spot clawed her a bit and then got away. Will have t call the vet in the mroning and make a new appointment think I might see if we can get a seditive and see if that is less tramatic on her and us. Spot by the way is a 9 month old cat. All her brothers and sisters turned out tbe very nice cats, don't know what is wrong with this one. She is in season and we need to get her spade. If any one has any ideas I am open for trying any thing right now.
I did so so today. I am better then yesterday. I am going to be stricter on myself tomorrow. THank you all for the support and just being here everyday. I need this to keep me going and I wasnt to loose about 30 pounds by July.
Nyda

ToriD1012 01-02-2014 03:28 PM

**slinking in and looking around** okay, there are few "faces" here that I recognize.

Yeahhhhh. It's been way too long. So so very much has been going on and I've completely fallen off the wagon. In fact, the wagon has lapped me numerous times.

I don't have time tonight to go in depth with why I've been gone. But plan on holding on to the wagon as it drags my fat a$$ along next week.

libby116 01-02-2014 03:38 PM

Debbie: I am so excited about the DVD's. I tried 3 of them tonight and they are going to give me a good work out. I started with the total body toner and worked till my arms were tired. Then I tried 6 min. abs and finished with
Yoga for beginners. I could do a different work out every day with endless possibilities. You have made me look forward to exercising. I am going to look hot this summer at least hotter than I have looked for years. I can't thank you enough.

Nyda: What were you sewing? I would rather sew than do house work but that gets me into trouble. I had a brat of a cat. He bit every one that came to our house. He is gone now but I still miss him. So glad you came back.

Mern: So glad that you are back. Give that grand baby a big hug. I hope that we can be as supportive as you are to us.

This is going to be a good year. Let's see what we can accomplish.

cjohnson728 01-02-2014 05:19 PM

Hi Tori :)

Glad to see you again, and not just because you make me feel less alone in the wagon-falling department. I've also had my tail kicked quite roundly by life and am ready to get back to where I need to be...which is here.

Mern, how fun to incorporate your exercise with your little sweetie. For a minute, skimming and juxtaposing posts, I read yours about shipping your DH and then saw Libby's post about getting a package, and for a minute my brain thought, Oh, cool, Mern shipped her husband to Libby...obviously I need to be in bed and not still on the computer.

Thanks to the ladies who posted about being able to combat wanting to binge eat. Part of my problem over the past months has been that I've been up working till 1, 2 in the morning. That's a long time since dinner, need I say more? Y'all (yes, I live in the south) posting those comments reeled me in tonight - thank you!

Nyda, they sell diffusers in pet stores that are supposed to work if you plug them into an outlet (like one of those air freshers, about that size); it is supposed to calm your cat and decrease behavior problems. I haven't tried it personally, but I know folks who have, with varying success.

Oh, Tori, how is Jazzi Cat? Soooo sadly, we lost our Jazz in July. The vet found cancer and less than 6 weeks later we had to let her go. It was heartbreaking, and so hard on my husband...he was the one she gravitated to. He held her at the end and rocked her and told her how she was the best cat ever and I bawled my eyes out. It's so hard to let them go :(

Debbie, good job back on track. You've had a great week with the workout! What is it that you do that you love so much?

Erin, hope you enjoyed your snack, whatever you chose. Sounds like good planning.

I did meet goals today, logging, posting, worked out a bit with weights. Discipline is not as much fun as reckless abandon, but it pays off in the long run!

beccafries 01-03-2014 01:39 AM

Hi everybody...I will be checking in on this post weekly as well...
Im gonna try and work out at least 3 times a week or more.

Today was Friday weigh in.... Im in a good place :D:D

You are more than welcome to join us on Fridays... ( look for the post )
if you weigh in on Fridays, just include your name and your current wt
make sure to post that Fridays date..... go check it out :)

A brand new year everybody...we can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lildebbieg 01-03-2014 01:41 AM

Good morning all! Today is my regular weigh in day and I'm up from New Years Eve....I was 126.8 on NYE and today weighed in at 128.6. I went way off the rails on Wednesday and managed to get back on track yesterday...but it will take a few days to get rid of the water weight....yet again.

Is anybody else this sensitive to sodium and cyclical fluctuations? I have to be so diligent in eating no processed food and watching sodium and keeping up with the water intake. If I stray at all, up goes the weight overnight. Is this just me? I am also sooo sensitive to water weight gain....twice a month...if you know what I mean. Sorry Mike!! :o

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 104584)
Debbie, good job back on track. You've had a great week with the workout! What is it that you do that you love so much?

Thanks Cassie! Maybe it's the endorphins? I'm not sure, but I truly enjoy getting a good sweat going....I love high intensity exercise! If I'm doing a workout that doesn't get me breathing hard and sweating, I feel like I'm wasting my time. I find exercising to be soooo much more enjoyable than counting calories....I guess it just works for me ;)

Originally Posted by libby116 (Post 104583)
Debbie: I am so excited about the DVD's. I tried 3 of them tonight and they are going to give me a good work out. I started with the total body toner and worked till my arms were tired. Then I tried 6 min. abs and finished with
Yoga for beginners. I could do a different work out every day with endless possibilities. You have made me look forward to exercising. I am going to look hot this summer at least hotter than I have looked for years. I can't thank you enough.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the dvds and glad you feel have a good variety!!! It's good to change things up so you don't get bored. You are totally going to be smokin' by summer! :p

I'll check back in later after I have completed my workout. Have a great day all!!!

cjohnson728 01-03-2014 02:10 AM

Yep, Debbie, endorphins are awesome...but what type of workout do you do? Sorry I wasn't more specific! I'm just always looking for ideas; I had some injuries a while back that sidelined what I usually do.

Morning to all; have a great day!

Mern 01-03-2014 02:32 AM

Fell asleep early while watching TV and missed two small meals. Not good for most people (including me) to eat below 1200 calories.

Thursday report:
Green=on track according to goal Blue=still time to get on track for the week Red=missed goal

Calories: 1200-1600 per day 1228, 827
Sat fat average: maximum 12% of total calories 11%, 7%
Dietary cholesterol average: maximum of 250mg per day 227mg, 145mg
Fiber average: minimum 25g per day 40g, 17g so average is 28.5g
Protein average: minimum 120g per day 127g, 103g
Net Carbs average (total carbs less fiber): maximum 25g per day 20g, 19g
Exercise: 3 days per week for first three months. Any extra is a bonus 1, 2
Water 64 oz. per day. Lost track--probably closer to 48 oz., ditto--must work on that!

In case anyone wondered, the resistance band I used playing with my great-granddaughter while exercising yesterday was a clean one--not dirty or sweaty.

Tori! Welcome back! Several of us have been absent from the group for a long time, having regained. We can all get back on track together.

Cassie, congrats on meeting your goals again yesterday. Doc suggested I do my aerobic walking DVD while holding the baby, but the added 12 lbs. was too much extra load on my bad back. Looking forward to my stamina being better. LOL on my shipping my DH to Libby. I am still in love with him after 42 years of marriage, but there are days where I'd like to ship DH off to Siberia. ;) So sorry about Jazz last year--I bawled my eyes out holding my dog years ago as we had him put to sleep--cancer of the pancreas. I believe we'll be reunited with our pets one day in Heaven.

Libby, thanks so much for YOUR support! This is a really great group from whom I'm already getting much needed tips and encouragement. Happy to give my great grandbaby a hug. Thanks. :)

My new scale: my old one was a Health-o-meter and from the very beginning, if I stepped on it three times I got three different readings. Not saying it was the brand's fault--might have just been that particular scale was not accurate. It also weighed me four lbs. heavier than my doctor's scale. My new scale is a Taylor digital scale and appears to be very accurate. If I step on it three times, I get the same reading each time. It cost $23 but doesn't do anything but weigh--no body mass index or weight tracking for two-four different people or anything like that.

The conversation about binge eating, especially in the evening, was a great topic for me on our restart, too. It reminded me that I need to get back in the habit of planning my daily menus as well.

Nyda, nice that you got in some sewing and a nap. Sorry 'bout your cat. I don't have any advice--we've had only one cat and that was my son's cat who was very docile. Best wishes on learning how to deal with your pet.

Erin, OMG, I love toast. especially loaded with butter, but it's off limits for me. I used to be pre-diabetic but reversed my blood sugar to normal with my doctor's help through diet alone and no meds. Normal blood sugar now since 2011. :) My evening snacks now are mostly protein--like leftover cold meat or a protein shake or eggs. Peanut butter is good, too. My doc said an evening snack of protein helps keep one's metabolism sped up. Hey, know that I'm not preaching. I've been known to binge eat Hostess chocolate covered mini doughnuts in the evening. :o

Debbie, good for you for doing what you know is best for YOUR body. There certainly is no "one size fits all diet." My doctor encouraged me last month to lower my exercise goal because she thought my goals of exercising 5 days per week (which is generally recommended for virtually everyone) was too high a goal for me and that it may be setting me up for failure. I had gotten to the point where I was so burned out on exercise that I just quit altogether. So she suggested I lower my goal to three days per week and that if I ever DO manage to surpass that, it'll be a bonus I can feel good about but I am still perfectly free to return to three days a week. But I am one that does best with logging all my food to be sure I get my ratios right for net carbs to keep my blood sugar in the normal range without meds and keep my saturated fat and dietary cholesterol intake on target to keep my cholesterol reversed from high to normal without meds.

Mern 01-03-2014 03:00 AM

Becca, hi! I remember you! Major kudos on your weight loss to date!

Debbie, at 67 I'm well past the "cyclical fluctuations" but I can SOOOO relate to you on the sodium sensitivity. I have to be really careful about not eating too much processed foods for that very reason. Eating at the Chinese buffet, even when meeting my targets for calories, sat fat, carbs, cholesterol, protein and fiber, causes me an overnight weight gain of about two lbs. It's the soy sauce... Although I could do a lot better, I have cut back on processed foods. Except for cooking pasta, DH and I use Morton Lite Salt (half the sodium of regular table salt) in our salt shakers and in other cooking or food prep. For roasts I cook in my slow cooker, I can use the brand NoSalt--but in any other food prep, NoSalt has a disgusting metallic taste to me. It's wonderful that you find exercise so invigorating. :)

01gt4.6 01-03-2014 03:03 AM

Tori, WTFAEDBH? IMJGFE!

1) PWTJCx2
2) WTBMx3
3) W2mi
:D

libby116 01-03-2014 04:55 AM

Week 2
Day 1

GOALS
1. Stay within calorie limit under 1200
4. Lose 1 pound
6. Use the treadmill 3 + times a week

Week one went well. The holiday gain is coming off and by the end of the month I should be at a new low weight.
Goal 167

lildebbieg 01-03-2014 06:44 AM

Hi all! Checking back in with my workout for the day...a 40 minute upper body strength/cardio interval workout. Awesome workout! My arms are sooo tired! Love it! ;)

12 Week Exercise Challenge, 84 days...84 workouts
Week 6, Day 1 - yes

Cassie - I love HIIT workouts and I also love running...although lately I've been using the elliptical a lot....I guess I love running outdoors but at almost -40 C with the wind chill running outdoors is out of the question for me until the warmer weather arrives. ;) For the HIIT workouts, I pick an amount of time I want to workout for, select the strength focus (upper body, lower body, abs, etc.) and choose some cardio moves...I mostly do skipping, but also add in jumping jacks, high knees, etc....and then set my interval timer for 10 seconds rest and 30-40 seconds work and alternate between strength moves and cardio exercises. What do you normally do and how did you injure yourself?

Mern - hats off to you for managing and changing your health without meds! Many others would have thrown in the towel and just taken the meds! You should be proud of yourself...I'm sure you are! ;)

Becca and Libby - my fellow Friday-weigher-inners...you both did awesome this week!!!

TGIF!!! :D

Mern 01-03-2014 07:51 AM

Libby, congrats on week one going well. Simply awesome that you should be at a new low weight by the end of the month! :D

Debbie, congrats on your workouts! :) Thanks for your encouragement. My doc did tell me that not all patients with high blood sugar or high cholesterol are able manage those health issues without meds. I'm lucky to be one of them who is able to (at least at I have been since 2011--no guarantee it will work longterm) plus lucky to have a doctor who had faith enough in me to let me try before handing me a prescription. She also helped me work out, through trial and error, my own custom nutrition goals.

After lunch I pre-logged all the rest of my food for the day to be sure I could enjoy evening snacks and not blow my goals. Small meal dinner will be skinless, baked chicken breast, cooked cabbage, and nuked mushrooms with onion. And still left for the evening are a flaxmeal muffin, 3 oz. more chicken and Kroger Carb Master Dairy Blend which tastes like yogurt but is only 4 net carbs. :)