Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Motivation and Support
Motivational Thread Starting Sept 2, 2013: Mark,set, go! >

Motivational Thread Starting Sept 2, 2013: Mark,set, go!

Community
Notices

Motivational Thread Starting Sept 2, 2013: Mark,set, go!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 AM
FitDay Member

Robin, I laughed so hard that I snorted like a pig over your saying you don't think your doc has a computer. I can't debate the pros and cons of Medicare, but I have to say that my own Medicare coverage (for what I've had to use it for but I'm in pretty good health) has gotten better over the past few years, not worse. But it's in the areas of preventive care--I haven't had to deal with any catastrophic illness of my own or DH's.

Mel-Mc good for you for reasserting your goals and washing out the Chinese food sodium. Major kudos on your good health--not just lucky genes--you are also maintaining good health by your lifestyle. Many people with great genes blow the crap out of them (pardon my "French") with an unhealthful lifestyle.

LifeLantern, welcome. Very nice goals. Good for you for setting attainable ones. I was pre-diabetic and reversed my blood sugar to normal through carb counting. I can tolerate only 25 grams net carbs per day (deducting fiber as a carb that does not affect blood sugar) with supervision from my regular family physician who is pro low carb. Going over a 25g net carbs average puts me back in the pre-diabetic range, but I can lose weight at under 30g net--better yet at less than 25g net carbs. I do 1200-1600 calories per day. I do see your point, though.

Libby and LifeLanted and to whomever I posted this to: I posted here last week or the week before that I gain weight at anything over 25g net carbs. I misspoke. I can lose weight at anything under 30g but do much better at 25g or less. I maintain weight at 30-40g net carbs and gain weight at anything over 40 carbs no matter how low my calories are. But I'm not recommending that low carb to anyone--that's between your and your doctor. I'm just saying what my doc recommended for ME.

Hope, I see you're hanging in there. Congrats on drinking more water and going to the gym Tuesday. Major kudos on 2 out of 3 days remaining positive.

Hi, Becky.

Becky and Libby, this is just talking about how different people are and some people (like me) just don't fit the mold. My doc is always concerned that I'm eating way too much protein at 120g per day, but when I cut back to 100g I don't lose weight at all. My blood tests always show my blood protein is just where it should be and any blood tests that would point to kidney problems from too much protein are in the normal range as well. My doc VERY reluctantly gave me a "go ahead" on going back to 120g protein per day, but she is keeping a close eye on it.

Libby, I saw your question and have not used the dietician part of FitDay but only because I work so closely with my own doc on my eating plan.

Last edited by Mern; 09-04-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Mern, you're welcome for the chuckle. Medical care here is publicly funded and as a consumer you take what you can get. I have private insurance for "extras" like chiropractic and massage. I pay alot for it because I am self-employed.

Libby: Your CALORIES are low, there's no doubt. It's not surprising that people question them because that's not the "normal" weight loss range for calories. But I wouldn't assume that you are doing something wrong, if you feel good, are losing at a normal rate (which you are) etc. Obviously your metabolism is very low. You could work at speeding up your metabolism (e.g., weight training) but everyone's goals and needs are different. That's my 2 cents.

The whole "low carb/high protein thing" as indicated by Mern should be discussed with your doctor before making any changes, especially with the history of kidney issues.

Hope, short report hope you are doing ok.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM
FitDay Member

Good day today. Kept the calories at 1300, lots of fruit and veggies. Everything measured and accounted for.

My daily goal of 2 liters of water ended up being 3 liters. I'm having trouble with my sinuses and was popping cough drops like they were M&Ms (I wish). Then the cough drops were so strong I'd drink water to wash the taste away.

I hope everyone else had a good day too.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM
FitDay Member

Evening all. I just had to get out of the house today.My friend and I went to sonic for lunch. I had the sonic burger-but- it was no mayo, onion, pickle, ohay for lettus ,tomato catsup and mustard. NO FRENCH FRIES. Maybe should blame the French. When I got home did my walking tape and had a very nice peach. Tomorrow I am going to be working on a whole box of them.

Life Lantern and becky welcome. I find that being honest when loging food helps to keep the food choses right.

We grow the best melons in southern Idaho out by Haggerman. I got another cantalope today. It just smells so good. I am haveing some of it when down here.

daily goals
water-8 cups min-m=y,t=n,w=y
exercise 5 days-m=1, t=2,w=3
log everything I eatm=y,t=y,w=y
post at least once a day.m=y t=y,w=y
Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 AM
FitDay Member

"LifeLantern, welcome. Very nice goals. Good for you for setting attainable ones. I was pre-diabetic and reversed my blood sugar to normal through carb counting. I can tolerate only 25 grams net carbs per day (deducting fiber as a carb that does not affect blood sugar) with supervision from my regular family physician who is pro low carb. Going over a 25g net carbs average puts me back in the pre-diabetic range, but I can lose weight at under 30g net--better yet at less than 25g net carbs. I do 1200-1600 calories per day. I do see your point, though.

Libby and LifeLanted and to whomever I posted this to: I posted here last week or the week before that I gain weight at anything over 25g net carbs. I misspoke. I can lose weight at anything under 30g but do much better at 25g or less. I maintain weight at 30-40g net carbs and gain weight at anything over 40 carbs no matter how low my calories are. But I'm not recommending that low carb to anyone--that's between your and your doctor. I'm just saying what my doc recommended for ME."

Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome. You seem like a nice group! I'm still trying to get the hang of posting and replying and actually finding any references to a post of mine, etc.

I am finally at the point of just trying to solve my own issues with health and weight without having an agenda of thinking what I've learned is correct for everybody. This is a huge difference for me. I'm a big reader and have learned a lot over the last ten years. But of course knowing stuff and applying it are two different things. So I'm very encouraged to be able to talk with others who are trying to improve their health also.

And, yes, one thing that finally got thru my thick skull is that eating in drastic ways is not something I'm gonna do for long. So I'm now trying to be moderate (very hard for me) and try to observe how that goes for awhile, then maybe get carbs a little lower and see how that goes. And however anybody else is doing their way of losing weight or their way of getting healthier-I say "more power to them!" We all are learning as we go along, not only about the ideas out there that can help us, but also how we feel, how our own body reacts. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

) Eat better (cut out the junk)- better, not perfect, no,
2) Drink more (water that is) -yes, yes, yes,
3) Gym or walk 3x this week -no no no
4) remain positive - yes, no, YES

Sorry for the short messages. I am doign a lot better. Have not had tme to read posts, only skim. Mern I last went to the gym Sunday - busy week but I must make time. Supposedly my insurance will give me money towards my membership but I must go 3 x a week.

Gotta get diet bacck on track. I was on such a strict plan I am going through total backlash. No excuses; I've got to rein it in, my clothes are getting tight!!! I may need to plan my meals again.

Welcome Life Lantern and Becky

Last edited by canary52; 09-08-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

To parody an old TV commercial, "I'm not a doctor, I just play one on FitDay." LOL But I'd also like to reiterate that one should not take vitamins or supplements without first discussing it with ones doctor because those things do change our blood chemistry and may affect how any medications and other vitamins, and supplements are absorbed. Too much of anything is not good for us. For example, after reviewing my blood test results, food logs (yes, my doctor actually analyzed my FitDay food logs I printed out!) and reading the label of my low carb protein powder which is fortified with vitamins and minerals, she told me to stop taking my daily multi-vitamin because I didn't need it and an overdose of vitamins and supplements can be harmful.

Hope, thanks for noticing I misunderstood which day you went to the gym. Again, kudos on your water and positive attitude. Ooh, I didn't know any insurance companies who cover gym memberships mandate members going three days a week. Those of us who have any health insurance gym coverage are very fortunate. I haven't been going to the gym--have just been doing my exercise DVD. I need to start planning my meals again, too. I'll preplan today's after I post this.

Robin, I'm glad you have the opportunity to pay for extra optional insurance, but it would be great if you could qualify for some sort of group rate discount. Thanks for reiterating the caution to discuss any dietary changes with one's doctor. That is so important.

Mel-Mc, great eating day yesterday! Way to go! That extra water may help your sinuses by thinning out the congestion. A pharmacist also told me extra water is as good as an over-the-counter expectorant for chest congestion when one has a cold.

Nyda, your Wednesday report is awesome! Well done on making your Sonic burger more healthful, avoiding the fries, and topping it off with a nice peach. Working on a whole box of peaches? If I had a box of them, I'd be making sugar free peach preserves. Yum! I love canteloupe--so glad I can enjoy that, too.

LifeLantern, I love your username and am so happy that you like our group. I try to reply to each post, but there are many days I just have to skim the posts to see how everyone is doing and try to catch references to my name in case someone is replying to me directly or asking me a question. I understood (and I'm sure the others did, too) that you don't think there is just one way of doing things--that you're simply passing along what you've learned as a suggestion of something others might consider. I do a lot of reading, too, trying to work out my eating and health management lifestyles and I discuss proposed changes with my doc. She is amused that I won't take any meds, vitamins or supplements without first researching the risks involved and deciding for myself whether I want to accept those risks. (I guess I'm in a minority of her patients who do that.) When she suggested an additional supplement for me a couple visits ago, she said "You can check out--and I know you WILL--red yeast rice and see if it's something you may wish to add." Then she figured the dosage she recommended for me based on my blood tests and the other supplements and prescription vitamin D I take with her knowledge and consent. I hear you on knowing stuff and applying it being two different things. I know what to do for myself and how to do it, but the fact that I don't always do it explains my continued morbid obesity despite good health. PLEASE DO keep passing along information you've read and tell us what is working for you. We're so glad you're here to share with us.

Last edited by Mern; 09-05-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 AM
FitDay Member

Today's planned menu:

Breakfast: turkey sausage and zero cholesterol eggs

Snack: protein shake with flaxmeal

Lunch: tuna salad with ranch dressing instead of mayo on a low carb tortilla, assorted fresh veggies

Snack: spinach rolled up in low sodium ham, an ounce of almonds

Dinner: baked, skinless chicken breast, broccoli with cheese sauce, strawberries

Snack: either a protein shake or cold, skinless chicken breast
Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds like everyone is having a good day - me too.

I rarely go into the office (mostly work from home) and when I do I get so stressed that I usually come home and eat whatever or order chinese and of course drink several glasses of wine.

Í think white wine makes me gain weight folks!!

But today I caught myself and I did a short workout as well! I am trying to avert those triggers that make me go nuts and stress (work) is the only real trigger I have.

My focus is plenty of protein and only the good carbs - like wheat bread, veggies and fruits. I am not counting carbs though because in the past I used a high protein diet and maybe 30 grams of carbs a day.This works, however at some point I start craving bread or potatos or whatever and go nuts. So then I have gotta have something and before I know it I have gained back thed few pounds I lost,

So I am trying to stay with something very close to Weight Watchers - only no junk at all. If I eat more than I should - it's an extra boiled egg, meat, yogurt or piece of fruit etc.

My goal to make eating veggies and fruits and lean meats a lifestyle and that's hard.

Hang in there everyone!
Becky
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 AM
FitDay Member

Life Lantern: I am eating a low carb diet for diabetes. I eat mostly natural
unprocessed foods, no dairy, wheat or artificial sugar. I do eat lean meat, poultry, and fish once a day. I rarely eat desserts or snacks except for the occasional piece of dark chocolate and cashews. My calories are low and so is my energy. I have decide to seek the help of a personal trainer to help me get fit and then maybe I can increase my calories as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.