Is this breakfast good?

Community
Notices

Is this breakfast good?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Is this breakfast good?

Hello everyone!
I wanted to ask about the breakfast I have almost everyday, whether it's alright for weight loss or possibly is an obstacle in my weight loss.

What I have is the following:
-Oatmeal w/
-1/2 cup soy milk (soyfresh original)
-1/2 cup water
-about 2-3 tblsp of Quakers Quick Cooking oats
-about 2 tblsp of Kelloggs All-Bran Bran flakes
-3-4 green grapes, 1 small banana sliced, 3-4 raspberries
-3-4 walnuts, 2-3 almonds and a few pistachios

This may seem complex but I just prefer to not stick with the traditional ways haha

Along with the oatmeal I have either a slice of whole meal bread (usually i just dip it in the oats and have it) or, occasionally, 1 egg white scrambled with 1/2 tomato and onion each

I'm not exactly sure how much calories this would be altogether (I'm hoping it isn't anywhere beyond 350 kcal ._. ) but if anyone could help break the kcal down for me it'd be very much appreciated.

I'm sorry that I'm not very good with the measuring units like cups etc.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zura113
Hello everyone!
I wanted to ask about the breakfast I have almost everyday, whether it's alright for weight loss or possibly is an obstacle in my weight loss.

What I have is the following:
-Oatmeal w/
-1/2 cup soy milk (soyfresh original)
-1/2 cup water
-about 2-3 tblsp of Quakers Quick Cooking oats
-about 2 tblsp of Kelloggs All-Bran Bran flakes
-3-4 green grapes, 1 small banana sliced, 3-4 raspberries
-3-4 walnuts, 2-3 almonds and a few pistachios

This may seem complex but I just prefer to not stick with the traditional ways haha

Along with the oatmeal I have either a slice of whole meal bread (usually i just dip it in the oats and have it) or, occasionally, 1 egg white scrambled with 1/2 tomato and onion each

I'm not exactly sure how much calories this would be altogether (I'm hoping it isn't anywhere beyond 350 kcal ._. ) but if anyone could help break the kcal down for me it'd be very much appreciated.

I'm sorry that I'm not very good with the measuring units like cups etc.
Have you tried logging it to see how many calories it is?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, Zura! I took the liberty of making a recipe based loosely on the ingredients you listed. It came out to about 335 calories for one serving. I say "loosely" because I couldn't find the exact ingredients on the site I looked at and because I wasn't sure if you put ALL those things in one bowl. For example, do you use the grapes AND banana AND raspberries or do you use one OR the other OR the other?

To be on the safe side, I used ALL the ingredients to give a worst-case scenario.

I also had to make a few guesses with regard to ingredients and quantities. The site I used didn't have All Bran bran flakes or Quaker Quick Oats, so I substituted the best I could to come close to what you use. Nor did the site have the oatmeal by the tablespoon so I had to make a few guesses about how many tablespoons are in a half cup. I didn't add in the water since it doesn't add or subtract calories.

In any event, below is what I came up with and below that is a nutrition list of how that recipe turns out. It may not be accurate to your exact recipe but I hope it helps get you in the ballpark.

Recipe:
  • 1/2 cup Soy milk
  • 1/2 "serving" Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal (serving = 1/2 cup dry)
  • 1/4 "serving" Kellogg's Complete Wheat Bran Flakes (serving = 3/4 cup)
  • 3 Green Grapes
  • 1 small banana (small = 6"-6-7/8" long)
  • 3 raspberries
  • .25 servings Walnuts (serving = 1 oz or 14 halves)
  • 3 almonds
  • .10 "serving" Pistachios (serving = 47 kernels)

Nutrition:

Calories = 334.4
Total Fat = 11.7g
Sat Fat = 1.5g
Poly = 5.9g
Mono = 3.6g
Cholest = 0.0g
Sodium = 120.6mg
Potassium = 717.9g
Total Carb = 53.5g
Diet Fiber = 8.2g
Sugars = 19.6g
Protein = 10.0g

Vit A = 15.7%
Vit B-12 = 58.3%
Vit B-6 = 68.6%
Vit C = 54.2%
Vit D = 18.3%
Vit E = 17.3%
Calcium = 25.8%
Copper = 18.0%
Folate = 46.2%
Iron = 46.1%
Magnesium = 22.4%
Manganese = 49.8%
Niacin = 38.1%
Pant Acid = 37.2%
Phosphorus = 17.0%
Riboflavin = 56.4%
Selenium = 4.1%
Thiamin = 47.6%
Zinc = 37.9%

Hope that helps!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Have you tried logging it to see how many calories it is?
Yes I tried before, using the MyFitnessPal app. Though there were differences in the serving sizes and some ingredients weren't exactly available, the overal kcal is about the same as episode2011 got

Originally Posted by episode2011
Hi, Zura! I took the liberty of making a recipe based loosely on the ingredients you listed. It came out to about 335 calories for one serving. I say "loosely" because I couldn't find the exact ingredients on the site I looked at and because I wasn't sure if you put ALL those things in one bowl. For example, do you use the grapes AND banana AND raspberries or do you use one OR the other OR the other?

To be on the safe side, I used ALL the ingredients to give a worst-case scenario.

I also had to make a few guesses with regard to ingredients and quantities. The site I used didn't have All Bran bran flakes or Quaker Quick Oats, so I substituted the best I could to come close to what you use. Nor did the site have the oatmeal by the tablespoon so I had to make a few guesses about how many tablespoons are in a half cup. I didn't add in the water since it doesn't add or subtract calories.

In any event, below is what I came up with and below that is a nutrition list of how that recipe turns out. It may not be accurate to your exact recipe but I hope it helps get you in the ballpark.

Recipe:
  • 1/2 cup Soy milk
  • 1/2 "serving" Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal (serving = 1/2 cup dry)
  • 1/4 "serving" Kellogg's Complete Wheat Bran Flakes (serving = 3/4 cup)
  • 3 Green Grapes
  • 1 small banana (small = 6"-6-7/8" long)
  • 3 raspberries
  • .25 servings Walnuts (serving = 1 oz or 14 halves)
  • 3 almonds
  • .10 "serving" Pistachios (serving = 47 kernels)

Nutrition:

Calories = 334.4
Total Fat = 11.7g
Sat Fat = 1.5g
Poly = 5.9g
Mono = 3.6g
Cholest = 0.0g
Sodium = 120.6mg
Potassium = 717.9g
Total Carb = 53.5g
Diet Fiber = 8.2g
Sugars = 19.6g
Protein = 10.0g

Vit A = 15.7%
Vit B-12 = 58.3%
Vit B-6 = 68.6%
Vit C = 54.2%
Vit D = 18.3%
Vit E = 17.3%
Calcium = 25.8%
Copper = 18.0%
Folate = 46.2%
Iron = 46.1%
Magnesium = 22.4%
Manganese = 49.8%
Niacin = 38.1%
Pant Acid = 37.2%
Phosphorus = 17.0%
Riboflavin = 56.4%
Selenium = 4.1%
Thiamin = 47.6%
Zinc = 37.9%

Hope that helps!
OH THANK YOU SO MUCH for actually making this ._. 334 kcal hm..So in your opinion, overall is this a 'healthy breakfast'? Considering the amount of sugar and fat present in this, it kinda worries me..
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Agley1400
According to me that breakfast is the necessary for the life because breakfast has own importance in our life.We should be eat the healthier break fast in the morning so i like these foods in the breakfast yogurt,fresh juices and bread with
eggs.....
i often have breakfast with barbecue+ rice, noodle, Milk
Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM
FitDay Member

Lately I've heard a lot about "quick cooking" grains, including oats being bad for weight loss because it becomes a high glycemic food. For pasta, for example you would want to cook it al dente, the more overly cooked something is, the quicker its broken down and more easily stored as fat. Old Fashioned Rolled oats are supposed to be the best. You shouldnt be concerned with the fat, 11g really isnt too bad, and they are the good fats from nuts. Instead of grapes and bananas(high glycemic sugar), raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries are a better choice. Berries are the best fruit for slimming. Hope this helps .
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM
FitDay Member

A good breakfast is anything that fills you up with the proper nutrition. A bowl of breakfast cereal isn't necessarily better than a ham and cheese sandwich just because it has the word “breakfast” in the title.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

It's got a good amount of fiber and it's not too high in calories.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Grain

Ever since 1970 when the geneticists began modifying wheat dna into the "dwarf wheat" being produced today, the impact on the obesity epidemic has become more dire.