Notices

Blending Veges and Fruits?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

Question Blending Veges and Fruits?

I'll get right to it; I hate vegetables. Literally %75 of vegetables I refuse to eat. This is because I wasn't ever forced to eat the ones I didn't like nor was I forced to try new ones.

This has brought me to blending. I would prefer to juice, but in my current situation only a blender is available. I do not think that I am taking in nearly enough vegetables each day. I'm sure this is making me lack vitamins that I desperately need.

Luckily I am a fruitaholic. I could comfortably live solely on fruit alone. And so I get to my actual question. What fruits and veges should I blend together? I want the maximum amount of vitamins but I do not want to taste the veges. I do not have unlimited money, so the cheaper the better.

Thanks,

Hunter
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

pumpkin and avocado are sweeter veggies, and blend nicely with bananas, honey and berries. Some people have success making green smoothies with spinach or kale and fruit, also.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM
FitDay Member

Just yesterday I found a recipe for green smoothie with spinach and pineapple, it sound very good to me.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM
FitDay Member

Try here: Recipes for Juicing | Juice Recipes
If you scroll down the home page you'll see the "popular ingredient" list on the bottom right -- click on any of them and you'll be directed to a list of all their recipes that contain the one you clicked. There are a lot of recipes but you'll likely still run into the taste wall...

If I may be allowed to throw out a challenge:

Just because you haven't developed an appreciation for the flavor of veggies to this point might not necessarily mean that you can't do so going forward. (I didn't like avocados as a kid -- love'em now...) The health benefits of veggies vs fruit are vastly different and you might be able to stretch yourself -- gently, of course.

I put spinach, kale, and various herbs in almost every batch of juice I make and I find the flavor to be easily masked by the fruit -- that said, I like the flavor of the veggies, so I'm coming in from a different perspective.

However, another challenge you have in juicing is that you're using a blender. Leafy greens don't really blend well. Carrots are likely out of the question. Things that cross my mind are cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, avocado -- but, those are all fruits according to botanists -- heheh...!

I like this kind'a thing so I'll help you down this road if you wanna play.
Since you said you don'tr like 75% of veggies, the first obvious question is:
Which ones do you like?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

In your description of how you never learned to like veggies, you mention that you were never 'forced'; what's to stop you from 'forcing' yourself now to try vegetables in many new ways - that's what cookbooks are for (one thing, anyway)!