Notices

At a loss recipe help please.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default At a loss recipe help please.

I am trying to lose weight and just generally clean up my diet and as a result I have placed the following rules on myself. It is basically Alton Brown's diet with a little input from the documentary Forks over Knives. Basically no dairy, a little plain yogurt from time to time when I want it, whole fruits and vegetables as often and as much as I want, nuts, whole grains, oily fish 3 times a week, red meat and poultry only once a week, same with dessert, alcohol, and dessert. As a result I am pretty much vegan 4 days a week. I come from a standard meat and potatoes maybe some corn or green beans kind of family. Does anyone have any recipes that would fit in to this or maybe a site I could use as a resource? I am kind of getting tired of salads, and would like to be able to have a real put together meal.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

It's not too hard to go vegan and have delicious food. Go to google and use the search argument 'vegan blog' and you will find some wonderful things.

My fave, so far, is:
Herbivoracious - Vegetarian Recipe Blog - Easy Vegetarian Recipes, Vegetarian Cookbook, Kosher Recipes, Meatless Recipes - Vegetarian Recipe Blog

Just start snooping in various food blogs and you will come up with amazing stuff. Today, I found a wonderful spicy tomato vegan soup - not even from a vegan blog, but vegan.

Recipes - Food52 - food community, recipe search and cookbook contests

I recently made fried plantains for my son. These are sinfully delicious and not fat-free. The Alton Brown recipe is closest to how I made them. A novel step is putting the hot plantains in cold water. I salted my water. Then, I let them air dry a bit before putting them back in the hot oil, but blotting them with a paper towel is a good, safe idea. If you see plantains at the supermarket, these are a treat. Can be eaten with ketchup, like french fries (also a vegan thing).
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-02-2013 at 04:56 AM.