Community
Notices

Suger

Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default Suger

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem when ever I try to eat healthier and that is suger. It can be in the form of cakes/candy or fizzy drinks.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could eat when I am craving something sweet. I do try to have an apple or banana handy but would like some other (preferable cheap) options.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes I will have cup of Greek yogurt, some raisins, or a piece of fruit (banana, apple, pear, etc) with some honey drizzled lightly over it. Another go-to for me when I want something sweet is a piece of homemade whole wheat bread, toasted, with some cinnamon sugar. A half teaspoon is plenty for one piece, and it's literally 8 calories (for the sugar). Sometimes a cup of tea with raw sugar and milk is enough to keep my sweet tooth at bay.

Others have posted before and suggested a cup of sugar-free pudding.

My husband likes those almonds that are dusted with cinnamon or cocoa powder.

Peanut butter on celery is something I eat often.

Take a look at the Foods section...there are some low-carb recipe threads in there and I think one may be desserts. Those would all have reduced or eliminated sugar.

Good luck; welcome, and hope to see you around!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

I know you said you crave sweets, but I find that eating a few unroasted almonds helps me. They are about 10 calories each and have healthy fats (fats have been shown to satiate hunger). If it just has to be something sweet look into some of the sugar free hard candies.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

I have been making a lot of fruit butters lately - apple, pumpkin, mango etc. A tablespoon only has about 20 calories and is lovely on some plain Greek yogurt when I crave something sweet. I don't deny myself (limited) amounts of natural sweeteners but I also find the less sugary foods I eat, the less I crave it. A bit of honey on my oatmeal or in my tea usually does the trick. And of course some nice dark chocolate on occasion...
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Samantha.Green
Hi Everyone,

I have a problem when ever I try to eat healthier and that is suger. It can be in the form of cakes/candy or fizzy drinks.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could eat when I am craving something sweet. I do try to have an apple or banana handy but would like some other (preferable cheap) options.

Thanks
Hi

Sounds like your body is addicted to a high carb diet and is craving more to boosts the insulin which attempts keeps you on the 'high'.

Check out with your Doctor first.

If everything else is OK you body needs to adjust to the new regime but remember to leave room for some 'reward'. Mine is cheesecake, without the base. And keep up the water to flush the toxins.

And remember, there are no cheap options for a good diet. Health costs money whether through doctors and hospitals or through good and healthy food intake.

Hang in there - it's something we all have to go through.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

Good idea about the fruit butters.I found some really nice pumpkin butter recently.I will put a tablespoon, or two in some cottage cheese and it's pretty tasty.
Sugar free gum can help with sweets cravings too.I used to always crave desert after dinner.Now I try to get by with chewing a stick of gum.
Extra has a Mint Chocolate Chip that's good.And I like Trident's Tropical Twist.

I think it's mostly about developing different habits.Your tastebuds will adjust.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:12 PM
FitDay Member

I have a HORRIBLE sweet tooth too. Ice cream is definitely my biggest weakness. I've made frozen yogurt with plain Greek yogurt, over-ripe banana, honey, and cinnamon in my mini ice cream maker. I've also been thinking of freezing smoothies made with fruit, yogurt, and milk or tea with low-cal sweetener in molds to make alternates to Popsicles. A surprising find I made too was mixing chocolate Slim-fast with vanilla soy milk.