Notices

Protein/Carb ratio?

Old 04-26-2010, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, some great tips!!! i am also a carboholic! looking at my food log shows i'm really over in carbs and under in protein. seems whatever you eat has carb and so much of it too, and for protein, i just don't like so much of red meat and get bored with chicken and not a fan of fish at all.
i'm in the lookout to find some very low carb foods that i can take with the ease of mind, eggs seems to be a very good choice, and thanks to Nik i've got a list of low carb fruit and vegetables. does anyone has a source for low carb food items? if you do, could you please post the link?
i want so much to make my weight loss story, also a success story and i need your help.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

my goodness, i checked again, seems my fat intake has been around 25-40%?????? i never noticed this before, and my protein intake? only 15 %!!!!
i guess i'm lost! wont lose weight until i get my ratio right!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by farahb7
Wow, some great tips!!! i am also a carboholic! looking at my food log shows i'm really over in carbs and under in protein. seems whatever you eat has carb and so much of it too, and for protein, i just don't like so much of red meat and get bored with chicken and not a fan of fish at all.
i'm in the lookout to find some very low carb foods that i can take with the ease of mind, eggs seems to be a very good choice, and thanks to Nik i've got a list of low carb fruit and vegetables. does anyone has a source for low carb food items? if you do, could you please post the link?
i want so much to make my weight loss story, also a success story and i need your help.
All I know is that I was appalled to see how many carbs are in beans of all things. I used to think that all vegetarians needed to do to get their protein was to eat a lot of beans. Not so much

They are making more and more bread items that are lower in carbs. Flatouts are a great wrap--we bought the multigrain ones--and the sprouted wheat and flax bread is good. But I've pretty much gone from 2 pieces of toast (when I eat toast) to one piece, no matter what kind of bread I'm eating.

A lot of the low fat foods have increased carbs (usually sugar) to make them taste better. Check the difference in nonfat sour cream versus low fat versus whole fat sour creams.

I can't stand fake sweeteners, so try to use tiny amounts of real sugar or honey or other types of sugar. And go with no sugar if possible.

And the difference in complex carbs like whole fruits, whole grains etc. versus simple carbs like white flour, peel-less potatoes and white sugar is also something I try to consider. If my carbs are high, I try to have them high because I was eating whole food.

I'm sorry you don't like fish, because I was astounded to see that a whole can of water packed tuna had 0grams of carbs and was LOADED with low-fat protein. That was the only day so far that my proteins were HIGHER in percentage than my carbs.

ETA: I am also considering trying to find a protein powder that I can add into my morning pre-workout smoothie that isn't loaded with carbs for flavor. Just to boost my protein.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 AM
FitDay Member

Thank You for your response Chris.

if only for low carb and hight protein, i have to like fish. i'll give it another try and see what happens. also, next visit to grocery store, i'll look for low calerie, low carb options. i'm starting to make a list of all this information that i have gathered, and plan to print it and carry it around with me, to remember and stick with the plan.
for so long i have been frustrated about my weight and have tried so many different things, but have seen no result. i am hoping limiting the carb intake and getting more protein will be the answer to my problem.

Thank You again and good luck to you (and to all of us)
Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Farar...I definitely support you trying fish, but my perception is that if you just flat out don't like something, don't force it; that won't be a "lifestyle" you can live with and you will fall off the wagon eventually. Do you like less "fishy" fish, like shrimp or crab?

You also may want to Google "glycemic index" to find foods that have lower impact on your body's sugar levels, rather than only looking for "low carb" things. Everyone has their own optimal ratio of protein/fat/carbs, and what works for others may not work for you, so plan on doing a little bit of experimenting and listen to what your body is telling you.

What are your ratios now? There really isn't an absolute "right" and "wrong," but once you hit the one that is optimal for your body, you'll know it!!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM
FitDay Member

I just wanted to point out that, although beans are higher carb, they're also higher fiber, which helps level out the blood sugar. The benefits of beans usually far outweigh the high carb content.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

Yes, beans are good, they are after all the "musical fruit". LOL. We eat beans around here 1-2 times a week, and they never seem to slow me down the way white flour carbs do.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Cassie,

thanks for the info. i do like shrimp and crab meat a lot more than fish, i don't mind canned Tuna either, but just don't like to touch or prepare uncooked fish.
my ratio was carb/fat/protein 55/30/15, but with the new changes it is 50/25/25. i still think i might do better with lower carb and fat, but have to try the and see.
i admire that you know how to listen to your body, i don't know how to, and i guess it's the reason it's really messed up. i have hypothyroid and low iron and low b12, and border line cholestrol.
i definatly search for glycemic index on the internet, see what i can find. i have to also find out how my body will react to beans, i do like beans. hopefuly they like me too.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck! It is definitely a learning process and trial and error. With logging everything, it makes it easier to see what eating patterns make you feel good and what makes you feel not so good.

I have incorporated Greek yogurt as a protein source, too, trying to get up to 30% or close to it. For one container, there are anywhere from 12-16 grams of protein. I also eat Special K Protein for breakfast (10 g); I know it is "processed," but the grains are good and the protein helps. Between that, lowfat cheese, almonds, lean meats, fish once or twice a week, and a splurge on good quality turkey lunchmeat, those are my main protein sources. It's hard to get it up there when you're not used to it. Have fun experimenting with things!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

MontanaCricket:
If you are looking for a good Whey Protein you might consider the one I use. I get it at Wal-mart. It is Body Fortress-Super Advanced-Vanilla. Each scoop is 135 cal. 2.0g fat, only 3.0g Carbs and 26g Protein. I add 2 scoop to 1-1/2 cups milk. I really like the flavor. I also add strawberries or banana for variety.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.