Notices

Before a workout: Breakfast ideas?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 PM
FitDay Member

I'm sorry to say, but most professional bodybuilders are full of crap. They like to assume that because they practically live in the gym that they're pros on how everyone should work out/diet.

You have a window within a couple of hours after a heavy liftin' workout to feed your muscles before they start cannibalizing the rest of your body. If you eat enough protein during this time, your muscle will definitely grow to adapt to your workout style. You don't need to stuff your face the minute you walk out of the gym though. This may even be counterproductive because you want blood circulating to your muscles after a workout, not to your gut to digest your post-workout snack. Give the muscles a chance to rest a bit.

-Nik
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default 'Natural' Endurance sports breakfasts - list them here!

Here's a really good breakfast that I've been eating prior to going on extended bike rides. It works well for any type of aerobic sport. Eat one hour prior to workout.

It supplies a good deal of carbs, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and sodium (in proper ratio), and the protein and fiber is decent to keep you from getting hungry, while the fat is low enough not to throw off your game.

Compare my breakfast versus a 60 gram sports fuel bar containing magnesium.

I'd be interested in everyone's suggestions as to their breakfasts that work for them! Feel free to list the nutritional values so we can compare.

BREAKFAST:

- (2) 6 ounce "Carbmaster" Yogurts (Kroger brand; similar to "low fat" but better)

- 2 tablespoons of Soy Nuts (mixed in with the yogurt)

- Banana

- (7.5) pieces of Wheat Thins 'Fiber Selects'

NUTRITIONAL VALUE:

Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

I never did well eating before a morning workout.
For a long run, I would carry one bottle of Ultra Fuel(400 calories/16oz), one bottle of water and refill halfway through.
For a bike ride, bagel and banana before, Ultra Fuel/water as above for the duration of the ride.
Protein in the gut never sat well with me so it was after a workout to refuel properly.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

I forgot to mention that I wait for an hour before exercising on this breakfast. I've never had cramps/anything on this. Only incredible energy.

Sports drinks are typically mostly sodium, very little potassium. The ratio should be around 3:1 potassium to sodium, a little less is OK.

I've given up on sports drinks unless I'm backpacking and away from home for days.

My preferred breakfast is only 340 calories and packs more nutrients into this caloric intake than many sports bars. But this isn't the breakfast for people who want to eat and then get moving right away!

Last edited by VitoVino; 08-31-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

I like toast with peanut butter and a banana before a long bike or run. During the run, I take gels and some electrolyte tablets since I don't like electrolyte drinks, just water.

I also like oatmeal with raisins (or craisins), pecans and a little brown sugar or maple syrup before a long bike ride. During a bike ride, I like Fig Newtons or other granola type bars.