Notices

Snacks to fit in pockets??

Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Snacks to fit in pockets??

Hi everyone! For those of you who don't know, I have been eating small meals throughout the day to help with my weight loss. I have been eating every 1-2 hours since the beginning of the year and I love it!

Well, I have a new job that started yesterday and I am going to have trouble getting food into me while working. In Montana we are not given work breaks. The store is only required to give us a 1/2 hour lunch break if we work 6 or more hours. So, there are going to be days where I work 5-6 hours straight with no break to quickly eat a piece of fruit or something. If I could eat a large meal before and after, this would be doable (it won't be every day), but I would like to stick to small meals if I can.

I will be working on a sales floor so I am not supposed to be eating or drinking in front of customers. We aren't even supposed to have gum, but the manager yesterday said that people do it anyway.

So, I am looking for ideas of food that I can put in my jeans pocket and secretly eat if needed.

So far I have come up with:

Sugarfree gum
Sugarfree mints
Almonds
Raisins
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds

Any other ideas of something that won't melt (no chocolate) or smell strongly (no beef jerky), and can fit in small jeans pocket (no cargo pants).

Thanks!!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, that's a toughie! Maybe you could slice a little carrot and celery to put in a baggie . . . pretzel sticks? figs? dates? granola bar?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by elanpotter
Wow, that's a toughie! Maybe you could slice a little carrot and celery to put in a baggie . . . pretzel sticks? figs? dates? granola bar?
Thanks for the help! I am not sure the pretzels would work (break too easy) and I could only fit 2-3 carrot sticks in my pocket so they wouldn't provide all that much energy. I do like your idea for granola bars. I could break up a protein/power bar into bite size pieces and eat that. Or make my own energy bites with the dates/pb/oats/raisins/protein powder type of mix and hope it holds together in my pocket (in a plastic baggie)....I also came across fruit leather that might work.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 PM
FitDay Member

There are some health snack bars that surely can make the list ...
Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

I was going to suggest baby carrots. Maybe pretzels? Are you allowed to have beverages? You could mix a thick veggie shake in a mug! Wheat thins? An energy/power bar? Fiber One bars tend to keep me full for a while.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 AM
FitDay Premium Member

You might add dried apricots. Lately they have been my go-to snack. They are little be more of a mouthful than raisons, and 2 or 3 of them give me a nice pick me up.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

I must have really small pockets on all my jeans , but snack bars just don't fit. I also think that it will be incredibly obvious that I am eating if I whip out an entire bar and bite into it on the sales floor. I can probably break some up into bite size pieces and pop those into my mouth.

Sorry, no beverages. I never realized how much water I drink until I tried to go 4 hours yesterday without any. Oh, and they aren't trying to kill us. If I needed a drink, I could have gone into the back and taken a sip of water...I was just really busy.

Pretzels and wheat thins will just break up in my pockets (I forgot to mention that I am up and down a ladder a lot to get merchandise off the top shelves). But I think I am going to store these in my locker and just say that I need a drink of "water" and grab some.

I'll definitely add apricots! I can also fit other dried fruit, like mixed berries!

Had a pocket with almonds and one pocket with sugar free hard candy and that worked well yesterday. I have to be careful though, I went to the bathroom before I left the house and wound up dumping my entire stash on the floor as my pants came down!!

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

If you enjoy cooking then maybe look into dehydrators. I have one but I only make london broil or deer jerky There is a lotta other things you can make with fruits etc.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 AM
FitDay Member

I like to use scrambled eggs. They will mold to any pocket size/shape and you can pull apart any size section you want.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:15 PM
FitDay Member

You can use Protein Bars if you need something to carry with you.
I'm sure most people would have concerns about them not being as healthy as natural food.No doubt.But they can be convenient in a pinch.

I just saw an article, 3 DIY Protein Bars, on the large Bodybuilding site (I'm sure you can find it) about making homemade bars from protein powder.
The recipes are for using protein powder,some kind of uncooked flour,milk,add ins,and coating them with dark chocolate.
I haven't tried any yet.Might be interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.