Notices

Need Zucchini recipes

Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Need Zucchini recipes

I grew billiard ball zucchinis/squash in my garden this year and they are just starting to ripen. I was thinking they would be perfect to cut the top off, scoop out some seeds and stuff.....but I don't know what to stuff them with. A quick search online came up with a few ground meat and cheese mixtures that sound good, but also full of calories.

Anyone have any ideas or recipes for stuffed zucchini that would be low-cal? I can obviously just use leaner meat and fat free cheese, but thought I would throw the question out there and see if anyone has any other ideas for what to stuff them with.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Grilled zucchini!

Cut the zucchini in half, scrape out seeds and soft parts. Spray the zucchini with olive oil, spices to taste and grill both sides. Save the seed parts to mix into the "stuffing". OR discard (I don't like the seeds) and use quinio or brown rice.

Grill chopped onions, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, any veggies that you like. Mix with quinio or rice and fill zucchini halves. I like to sprinkle feta cheese on top sometimes.

TBH, I haven't made these in a while. I usually just end up chopping up the zucchini to add to the other grilled veggies since I am a lazy cook. But if I want to impress my guest, I will also stuff grilled peppers and onions with the same filling.

I have also stuffed the zucchini with spaghetti squash, tomatoes, a little sauce, spices and parmesan cheese.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

We use ground turkey with a homemade spaghetti sauce when we make stuffed zucchini. It's usually my alternative when it's pasta night at my house.