Notices

LOW FAT Swiss Cheese?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:16 PM
FitDay Member

Default LOW FAT Swiss Cheese?

Hey all, I am following an eating plan prescribed by my nutritionist, which calls for 2 oz of low fat swiss cheese. I am having a heck of a time finding it - looked at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Raley's, Safeway... anyone know of a brand?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
Hey all, I am following an eating plan prescribed by my nutritionist, which calls for 2 oz of low fat swiss cheese. I am having a heck of a time finding it - looked at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Raley's, Safeway... anyone know of a brand?
Um nope. I buy lots of reduced fat cheese, but I've only ever seen it in co-jack, colby, mozzarella, cheddar and pepper-jack. If the diet gives calorie/nutrition info on that cheese, maybe you could swap it out for another flavor? Do you suppose the diet is referring to the individually wrapped "white" reduced-fat cheese food slices? I think Kraft makes something like that, but calorie for calorie I would rather eat live caterpillars.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Um nope. I buy lots of reduced fat cheese, but I've only ever seen it in co-jack, colby, mozzarella, cheddar and pepper-jack. If the diet gives calorie/nutrition info on that cheese, maybe you could swap it out for another flavor? Do you suppose the diet is referring to the individually wrapped "white" reduced-fat cheese food slices? I think Kraft makes something like that, but calorie for calorie I would rather eat live caterpillars.
I buy the reduced fat... which is a whole different thing from low fat. Reduced fat can have just a fraction of a gram less than the regular stuff... but I've found it's actually higher calorie in some cases!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Sargento makes it but I am not sure where it is available where you live. However, since that is a fairly popular brand of cheese, your supermarket might order it for you.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
I buy the reduced fat... which is a whole different thing from low fat. Reduced fat can have just a fraction of a gram less than the regular stuff... but I've found it's actually higher calorie in some cases!
Yes, you have to read the labels for certain. I try and stick to the 80 calories/oz, with 6 grams of fat or less. I quite like the Kraft variety and Meijer brand is pretty good too. Does the plan give you any indication of how many calories it's recommending, maybe you can find a substitute if you knew the nutritional content of the prescribed cheese? Just a thought. You also might check your local health food store, ours is the bomb for special ordering hard to find food items.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

NON-FAT!! Woo hoo! Found non-fat sharp cheddar and swiss cheese from my natural foods co-op.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

The best tasting one I've found is Jarlsburg Lite. It's usually in the deli section of the grocery store and not the normal cheese section. I see it regularly at Safeway, etc. in my area.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:06 AM
FitDay Member

Laughing Cow makes a light Swiss cheese spread that's only 35 calories a wedge. It's widely available, often stocked near the yogurt in supermarkets. I eat it as a kind of veggie dip.

The Laughing Cow Wedges Light Creamy Swiss - spreadable cheese wedges for active lifestyles | The Laughing Cow
Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Low Fat Swiss

Alpine Lace is a brand sold at deli counters.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 AM
FitDay Member

There is also Lorraine Swiss ( she said it was fat free) but I am thinking its very low fat. I get it at the deli counter. There is a 'warning' on this brand though.. and I am not sure how to explain it other than to say, it has a tingly/tangy taste. Not spicy or anything, its just tangy.