FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Calculation of recipes (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/724-calculation-recipes.html)

ticaslick 03-27-2010 08:52 AM

Calculation of recipes

Maybe I have missed it, but how can you enter ingredients and quantities so that the software can calculate the nutritional information, calories, protein carbs, fat, vitamins, minerals etc. I see enter your custom food but it looks like you have to print out all the ingredients and then calculate the measurements manually. Is there another way?

Thanks

desertmountain 03-28-2010 04:04 AM

Fitday doesn't add the individual ingredients together for you. There's 2 ways I do it - Like you mentioned, I add up everything (Word or Excel) then divide the recipe into an individual serving size and make a custom food indicating in the title/name what the serving size is. The other way is to use another website, like Calorie Count Recipe Analysis to figure it out for you then you can make your own custom food from their results here on Fitday.

Snikoorb 04-15-2010 11:12 AM

I just did this at nutritiondata.com where you enter a recipe, the number of servings, and it will give you a nutrition facts label (which you can save & print...or copy and paste on your recipes which is what I did!).

tandoorichicken 04-15-2010 02:39 PM

I use the one at Recipe Calculator . They have a lot of common commercial products in their database too.

-Nik

Mammac5 04-16-2010 02:40 PM

What I've always done in the past is to use FitDay, but go forward to a "new" day and use it as a dummy of sorts. I put in the individual ingredients in the quantity used for the recipe. Once I have it all in there, I jot down the numbers of the totals (cals, fats, protein, carbs...). Then I create a new custom food, name it, and put in the correct numbers based on serving size. For instance, I make something I call pumpkin pie-less (basically just pumpkin pie without the crust) and the recipe I created makes 8 servings. So I just divide everything by 8 to get the numbers to create a new food.

Trust me, it sounds more complicated than it really is.

katje 04-21-2010 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mammac5 (Post 8699)
What I've always done in the past is to use FitDay, but go forward to a "new" day and use it as a dummy of sorts. I put in the individual ingredients in the quantity used for the recipe. Once I have it all in there, I jot down the numbers of the totals (cals, fats, protein, carbs...). Then I create a new custom food, name it, and put in the correct numbers based on serving size. For instance, I make something I call pumpkin pie-less (basically just pumpkin pie without the crust) and the recipe I created makes 8 servings. So I just divide everything by 8 to get the numbers to create a new food.

Trust me, it sounds more complicated than it really is.

That's what I do, too, but I find it somewhat frustrating. Years ago, before Fitday PC came out, I wrote to the "help" address and suggested they add a "recipe" feature where one could add ingredients to create a custom food. No response, but I noticed this was listed as a "Fitday PC" feature when that became available.