Recipe for gnocchi sauce? >

Recipe for gnocchi sauce?

Community
Notices

Recipe for gnocchi sauce?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default Recipe for gnocchi sauce?

Hubby and I stopped at a Whole Foods last weekend and I found a package of whole-wheat sweet potato gnocchi. I am well-versed in red sauces but it doesn't seem like one would go well with this. I've looked on the internet but most sauce suggestions are cream sauces or butter and cinnamon. Any thoughts that might taste good and be on the healthy side?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

I would consider sauteing some garlic in olive oil and/or a little butter with a few leaves of sage and then tossing the gnocchi in there. Ideally it would be lightly coated, so not really a sauce. Then chop up some ham or prosciutto and crumble up some goat cheese or Gorgonzola (just a little!) and warm everything through. It would be really satisfying and probably not all that damaging to the ol' diet, especially when planned for. Maybe more in the realm of a "treat" than super healthy meal, but definitely yummy!

I'm no chef, but I'd pair it with a Bosc pear, walnut, and spinach (or baby field greens) salad, top that with fresh cracked black pepper, maybe throw a few thinly sliced red onions and the rest of that goat cheese in and add a blush wine vinaigrette on the side.

Good luck! I'm jealous!!

P.S. I really like sauteing gnocchi before adding it to a recipe. Some packaging suggests you boil 'em for a minute or so before serving, but sometimes this can make them kind of gooey. I like to coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil and saute them lightly for a few minutes. They should get really puffy and slightly crisp (or cooked-looking? not really sure how to describe this...) on the outside. Not necessary for deliciousness, but just an idea...
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

This Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans | Eating Well is the only dish I've made with gnocci and I liked it. I've also made it with spinach instead of Swiss chard.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 AM
FitDay Member

This Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans | Eating Well is the only dish I've made with gnocci and I liked it. I've also made it with spinach instead of Swiss chard.
This one makes a fairly regular appearance on my dinner menu and actually is where I learned to saute instead of boil. It is fantastic and totally satisfying! I completely second mecompco's recommendation, though I don't know if I'd like it as much with sweet potato gnocchi as with the regular stuff.

Aw geez, my mouth is definitely watering now...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, folks! I'll let you know what I end up doing. That's a good idea about sauteeing it as opposed to boiling. I've never cooked it before and the last time I had it was about 8 years ago in a restaurant in my other life...the one where I didn't care what I put in my mouth .
Old 05-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Banned

Smile

I'll tell you what We turn out accomplishing. That is recommended in relation to sauteeing that instead of boiling. I have certainly not cooked properly that prior to as well as the final moment I had created it had been in relation to 8 in years past inside a eating place inside my different lifestyle... normally the one where by We didn't health care what We put in place my personal mouth area.