FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   What's for Breakfast?? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/6675-whats-breakfast.html)

yourbadd 02-15-2012 12:03 AM

What's for Breakfast??

One of my biggest struggles with weight loss is coming up with healthy alternatives for meals. Often what I think is healthy turns out to be full of hidden fat and calories or I find one thing that works and eat it so many times I get sick of it!! It would be so helpful to me to see what others are eating so I can hopefully gain new ideas to keep my menus from repeating too often.

So, I ask you....what's for breakfast??

I had coffee with stevia, a whole wheat tortilla with a few tbsp of eggs (I raise hens so they are free range and organic), a tbsp of cheese and sausage with a side of mixed fresh fruit (melon, pineapple and strawberries)

This is a little on the heavy side for what I'd like but I'm stuck in a rut and need new ideas!!

mecompco 02-15-2012 12:14 AM

Well, I have several "usual" breakfasts:

2 Eggs, 3oz of lean beef.

2 Eggs, 110 to 130 calorie turkey sausage (sometimes the frozen Armour ones, sometimes the Johnsonville ones).

1 Egg, slice of ham, slice of cheese on a 100 calorie "breakfast thin".

2 Frozen Eggo or Kashi WW light waffles w/.25 cup sugar free syurp, and turkey sausage.

1/2 cup steel cut oats and 1 egg.

On weekends, we often have "brunch", which is 2 eggs, 3 strips of bacon and two slices of light (35 calorie) ww toast with butter (or a 100 cal "bagel thin" w/butter).

As you can see, I prefer a fairly high protein breakfast and am not all that worried about fat (though of course, less sat fat is better).

This is what works for me and gets me though til' my snack time pretty well.

Regards,
Michael

VitoVino 02-15-2012 12:19 AM

Breakfast is important, and has been shown to not only be a factor in weight loss, but "Eating breakfast is a daily habit for the "successful losers" who belong to The National Weight Control Registry."

I have a low fat, low carb 6 ounce container of yogurt every morning with 2 tablespoons of roasted soybeans added. I've been eating this religiously as my breakfast choice since July. I usually follow that up with a banana, or on days where I'm exercising, grits or oatmeal.

wildbeanerz 02-15-2012 12:51 AM

I do Greek Yogurt 0% fat (with fruit on the bottom) and add a banana to it. Sometimes a banana and a 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries.

1/3 cup Bran Buds, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 banana, 1/2 cup fresh strawberries

3/4 cup Peanut Butter Multi-Grain Cheerios, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 banana, 1/2 cup fresh strawberries

rumpusparable 02-15-2012 03:42 AM

Well, I often have a tofu scramble. Some mornings I'll have fat-free refried beans mixed with a small amount of vegan cheese and mild salsa.

dear_abby 02-15-2012 04:45 AM

A piece of fruit (banana, apple, pear, whatever I have) and 6 oz of plain low fat yogurt. Seems to work!

ToriD1012 02-15-2012 06:27 AM

I'm not a huge breakfast fan, but know that I have to eat in order to lose, so most days I have to force myself to eat. I've kind of been stuck on 2 oz of LF cottage cheese. Sometimes I'll throw in a granola bar too, just depends on how not hungry I am that morning.

SailorDoom 02-15-2012 06:45 AM

On a school day I like to have a pretty light and fast breakfast. Usually I'll have a cup of Kashi Go Lean or 1/4 cup (dry) of plain oat groats. In case you haven't tried 'em, oat groats are non-cut steel cut oats and they have a texture similar to barley. If i soak the oats in the fridge overnight, they cook in about 20-25 minutes while I'm getting ready to go. Often my breakfasts end up being two-parters on either side of my early morning class (I always think of "second breakfast" from Lord of the Rings :D). The second part will usually be a refill on coffee and some Greek yogurt. This lasts me until around 1:30 or so when I like to have lunch. I wish I could eat more eggs for breakfast, but I'm kind of allergic. On weekends I like to cook baked sweet potatoes (cut into medallions) for breakfast or make a really decadent pot of oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts and whatever else. Sometimes I top it with a little butter -- just like grandma used to make!

yourbadd 02-15-2012 08:36 AM

Such great ideas!! I will admit I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt...it's a bit too tangy for me!! I have noticed that when I don't eat a decent amount for breakfast I overeat for lunch so and I soooo love eggs!!
I am going to have to look into groats. I do love me some oatmeal!!

mecompco 02-16-2012 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by yourbadd (Post 73070)
Such great ideas!! I will admit I'm not a fan of Greek yogurt...it's a bit too tangy for me!! I have noticed that when I don't eat a decent amount for breakfast I overeat for lunch so and I soooo love eggs!!
I am going to have to look into groats. I do love me some oatmeal!!

I am a Greek yogurt convert, BUT I have to have the sweetened/fruity flavored stuff, I can't stomach the plain stuff, even with adding fruit. I have a 6oz. container every day for my 9:00 AM snack and it does pretty well getting me through to lunch time.

I have to have a decent breakfast--usually around 300 calories, more on weekends. It's tough to beat eggs (no pun intended), IMHO--if you're worried about the fat/cholesterol one can always toss the yolks and still get most of the protein.

"Regular" instant oatmeal doesn't seem to hold too well, but the steel cut oats have a pretty decent shot of protein and fiber. Some prunes with them are always good.

Regards,
Michael

deborahaharris57 02-18-2012 11:01 AM

I'm also not a fan of Greek yogurt generally, but Yoplait has this new Greek yogurt out that's cherry pomegranate or coconut and I've been really impressed. The coconut one tastes almost like a dessert!

I've also been doing apple pie oatmeal. Cook apples with cinnamon, nutmeg, and a few stevia. Add whole oats, water, and cook with the apples in a slow cooker. I store this in the fridge (my slow cooker lets me pull out the crock portion) and portion it out each morning with 1/2 c. very vanilla soymilk.

Vickey Darrell 02-19-2012 02:08 AM

I have several I rely on, I am on a mostly vegetarian lifestyle way of eating
1. 1/2 cup of mutli grain or steel cut oats and mix in a low fat or carb free yogurt
2. I also will make a stir fry using Morningstar spicey breakfast sausage patty and green-red peppers add onions and put it into a whole wheat pita pocket. you can also add a fruit to this meal
3. also make a hash using again the Morningstar sausage and chopped up sweet potatoes( I usually cook several earlier in the week )you can also add onions and I also add fresh chunks of pineapple.
4. low sodium cottage cheese with pineapple-cranberries and walnuts or almonds added
5.Hr\ere is a breakfast I fix my sons and husband and they can be made ahead of time and put in microwave the morning you eat them
take eggs-turkey sausage-green-red peppers and a little milk stir together and pour into a muffin pan(spray with cooking spray) and top with low fat cheese cook until done. They can also be frozen to eat later.
6. A breakfast pizza using either an English muffin or pita pocket top with scrambled eggs any veggies you want and top with low fat cheese cook in oven till browned

Kathy13118 02-19-2012 04:41 AM

Lately, two Thomas' multigrain muffins ('light,' which means each muffin is 100 calories). Topped with some soft, unsalted butter. I toast them. Each muffin has 8 grams of fiber, so they are filling.

yourbadd 02-19-2012 06:50 AM

I make a frittata this morning with onion, spinach, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. It was delicious, high in protein and filled me up. I came across another recipe that calls for adding low fat cottage cheese into the egg mixture for added protein...will have to try that next. Thanks everyone for all of your input, it is much appreciated.

Deborah

sarkai90 02-20-2012 09:03 PM

My go-to breakfast is an egg white scramble with light cheese and spinach on a bagel thin or another low cal, high fiber bread, with a side of fresh fruit. Sometimes in a hurry I'll have a hard boiled egg, fruit and almonds. Another option is a fruit and leafy green smoothie with whey protein. I haven't been much of a breakfast person in the past, but I'm slowly learning to love it. :)

RogueSlayer 02-21-2012 08:31 AM

I tend to have oats (processed oats for kids... but there's no sugar or salt etc added) with 1% milk and a drizzle of honey OR two eggs scrambled with 1% milk. I do need a bit more variety though...

jonjaxmom 02-22-2012 02:19 AM

I eat 1 slice multigrain bread, 1 tsp peanut butter. coffee black. 1/2 cup of egg whites, 5 oz. tomato juice. plain jane, yes, but it works for me!!

Chris S.
insulin dependent diabetic since jan 2011
start wt: 171 dec 2011
current wt: 157 lbs. feb 22 2012
goal wt: 138 lbs july 2012???

lcriswell0421 03-09-2012 08:43 PM

this morning i had a great breakfast that i'm sure will be on my menu now for quite a while. i had 1/2 cup (measured dry) oatmeal with 1/4 of an apple diced into it. i made it with 3/4 c skim milk and then a splash after cooking. i added some cinnamon and sweetener to it too. delish! then i had 1/2 c cut up strawberries dipped in 1/2 c dannon light & fit vanilla yogurt. it was very filling and very satisfying. speaking of breakfast...it's 2:45 a.m.. only a couple more hours to go til i can have it again! :p

~lisa

kimbur96 03-10-2012 01:30 AM

I'm terrible about getting up into to make breakfast before getting ready for work. I know i have to put something in my stomach to start the metabolism so i go for a GNC Lean 25 shake. It's got 25 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber so i actually feel pretty full. I try to eat small things every two hours all day.

taubele 03-21-2012 04:39 AM

I love reading these sorts of threads and seeing all the ideas :)

I have a fairly sensitive stomach in the morning, if I eat something heavy or big it'll go right through me. About 80% of my mornings start with a 6 oz. container of flavored Greek Yogurt (whatever is on sale - I like all the brands) and that's usually fine for me. I tend to eat lunch fairly early (around noon) and it's enough that I don't need a mid-morning snack. Sometimes I will switch it up and have a high-fiber cereal if the yogurt isn't appealing for whatever reason. If it's not high-fiber though, I'm always starving come 11:00. I think Fiber One is great.

On weekends we tend to brunch and dinner, so brunch itself is usually larger. Very common for me to have two eggs (over-easy, normally) with 3 pieces of bacon on a lightly buttered bagel thin or toast as long as we're eating after 10:30 or so. Sometimes turkey sausage is added if I'm feeling really hungry, and if we have any fresh fruit in the house it'll come out. Not uncommon for me to go 500 cals on brunch, but I also won't eat again until dinner :)

cjohnson728 03-21-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by taubele (Post 76848)
I love reading these sorts of threads and seeing all the ideas :)

I have a fairly sensitive stomach in the morning, if I eat something heavy or big it'll go right through me. About 80% of my mornings start with a 6 oz. container of flavored Greek Yogurt (whatever is on sale - I like all the brands) and that's usually fine for me. I tend to eat lunch fairly early (around noon) and it's enough that I don't need a mid-morning snack. Sometimes I will switch it up and have a high-fiber cereal if the yogurt isn't appealing for whatever reason. If it's not high-fiber though, I'm always starving come 11:00. I think Fiber One is great.

On weekends we tend to brunch and dinner, so brunch itself is usually larger. Very common for me to have two eggs (over-easy, normally) with 3 pieces of bacon on a lightly buttered bagel thin or toast as long as we're eating after 10:30 or so. Sometimes turkey sausage is added if I'm feeling really hungry, and if we have any fresh fruit in the house it'll come out. Not uncommon for me to go 500 cals on brunch, but I also won't eat again until dinner :)

Terri, have you ever tried Kashi Go Lean? I think it's equal or better in terms of fiber and also has a pretty big protein kick. Another reason it appeals to me personally is that it doesn't have the artificial sweeteners in it like Fiber One does.

I just pulled this out of the pantry this morning, used to eat it all the time, then got away from it, now I'm back on it again.

terrienne 03-21-2012 06:10 PM

I have always been a breakfast eater and used to eat cereal most days, but hardly ever have it now.

I have a few things I switch up for breakfast. I always have 1 cup of 1% milk (just can't do the skim) with my breakfast.

Greek yogurt (I like Dannon best). Sometimes I will mix in 1/4 cup Grape Nuts cereal. Other times I will have 1 slice whole wheat toast with 1 tbls peanut butter.

A boiled egg with fruit. Sometimes the same toast as above with it.

Breakfast burrito made with a whole wheat tortilla, 1 egg scrambled (just spray the pan w/nonstick spray), tomato, onion, salsa and sometimes spinach or green pepper.

The other day I tried the oatmeal with fruit from McDonald's and I'm thinking I'll start making that at home sometimes. It had apples, raisins and cranberries in it and I really liked it.

tonkajen 03-24-2012 12:17 PM

I have discovered a quick breakfast for on the go. Crack an egg into a coffee cup (or egg white, or eggbeaters...) scramble it up. Add a packet of instant oatmeal (I like the lower sugar ones as opposed to the regular ones) add a scant less then 2/3 cup of water, mix it all up and put it in the microwave for 1 minute, stir then another 30 seconds to 1 minute. It will look like a souffle (we can always imagine eating souffle for breakfast) when it comes out. The handle is cool to the touch, so it is grab and go. The oatmeal can cement itself into the cup, so get it cleaned asap, or soak it.

nobe 03-24-2012 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by terrienne (Post 76956)
The other day I tried the oatmeal with fruit from McDonald's and I'm thinking I'll start making that at home sometimes. It had apples, raisins and cranberries in it and I really liked it.

How to Make Oatmeal . . . Wrong - NYTimes.com

You should be careful with the McDonald's version. Like you said - make it at home!

"Incredibly, the McDonald’s product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)"

Rubystars 03-24-2012 05:02 PM

This morning I had 80 grams of bulgur wheat cooked in 2 cups of water (280 calories) with some sweet and low and cinnamon and a weetabix biscuit mixed into it. (sweet and low, supposedly 0 calories, but probably more like 2 in reality, cinnamon was probably around 1 or 2 calories, it usually comes out to that when I log the amount, and the weetabix biscuit was 65 calories). So far that's 345 calories. I also ate two boiled eggs which according to fit day were 154 calories. That brings the total to 499 calories, or in the low 500s if you count the cinnamon and sweet and low.

kkotelman 03-26-2012 12:59 AM

My current favorite
scramble
4-6 eggs
2-4 oz meat if I have any... sausage, ham, or leftovers
10 leaves fresh spiniach + any other vegies
.5 onion
lots black pepper
lots sea salt
2 tbls milk
1 tsp sesame oil

cook in
1+ tbls bacon grease
1+ tbls butter

1-3 oz Fruit small portion

Coffee out the door

No juice, no toast
Keeps me full till dinner
Ive been moving to 2 meals a day lately, sometimes only 1 if I'm working mids

Jho82 03-26-2012 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by tonkajen (Post 77192)
I have discovered a quick breakfast for on the go. Crack an egg into a coffee cup (or egg white, or eggbeaters...) scramble it up. Add a packet of instant oatmeal (I like the lower sugar ones as opposed to the regular ones) add a scant less then 2/3 cup of water, mix it all up and put it in the microwave for 1 minute, stir then another 30 seconds to 1 minute. It will look like a souffle (we can always imagine eating souffle for breakfast) when it comes out. The handle is cool to the touch, so it is grab and go. The oatmeal can cement itself into the cup, so get it cleaned asap, or soak it.

This sounds both disgusting and delicious at the same time LOL - can't wait to try it!

tonkajen 03-26-2012 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jho82 (Post 77291)
This sounds both disgusting and delicious at the same time LOL - can't wait to try it!

Yep you gotta try it!:D

leanlisan 03-28-2012 07:06 AM

Here's one of my favorites

Sweet Potato Hash Serves 2
I think it's about 245 calories per serving

1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup bell pepper (red, yellow or orange)
1 chicken sausage link ( I use apple flavor)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 sweet potato
hot sauce (optional)
3 fresh sage leaves
2 eggs

Saute first four ingredients in oil ( I use grapeseed) for about 4 minutes or until soft. Add sweet potatoes and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add sage. Remove from plate and fry eggs for 3 minutes and flip and add another minute longer. Serve over potatoes.

HardcaorKittyGirl 03-28-2012 11:57 AM

Personally I have very little time in the morning so I'll often make breakfast the day before then just heat it up. One of my favorites is apple crunch. Place chopped and peeled apples on a baking sheet, sprinkle them with cinnamon and bake until soft and golden. Then you can serve them on granola, bread or rice, or if you're looking to reduce your carbohydrate intake and amp up your protein intake try serving it on Quinoa. :) it's a sweet low calorie alternative.
Btw, I'm loving all these recipes!

leanlisan 03-29-2012 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by HardcaorKittyGirl (Post 77639)
Personally I have very little time in the morning so I'll often make breakfast the day before then just heat it up. One of my favorites is apple crunch. Place chopped and peeled apples on a baking sheet, sprinkle them with cinnamon and bake until soft and golden. Then you can serve them on granola, bread or rice, or if you're looking to reduce your carbohydrate intake and amp up your protein intake try serving it on Quinoa. :) it's a sweet low calorie alternative.
Btw, I'm loving all these recipes!

I do this with also and serve the apples over cottage cheese. Yum! Taste like apple pie.

taubele 03-31-2012 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 76917)
Terri, have you ever tried Kashi Go Lean? I think it's equal or better in terms of fiber and also has a pretty big protein kick. Another reason it appeals to me personally is that it doesn't have the artificial sweeteners in it like Fiber One does.

I just pulled this out of the pantry this morning, used to eat it all the time, then got away from it, now I'm back on it again.

Cassie: Nope, haven't tried it! I'll be on the lookout next time I go to the grocery store. As long as it doesn't taste like I'm trying to eat raw oats or something, I'll probably dig it.

All you ladies have gotten me to buy cottage cheese. I'll try it and see how it does with my stomach. I think I bought FF rather than LF though, so hopefully it tastes okay!

My breakfast this morning is going to be 2 over-easy eggs on a 100-cal sandwich thing with some cottage cheese served over sliced apple. Woohoo!

ramron12 04-18-2012 05:47 PM

in your Breakfast you can take some low fat yogurt

peterson001 04-19-2012 05:37 PM

my daily breakfast is very light food
in my daily life i take one juice and some light foods,,,,,,,,,,,

jnelson422 04-22-2012 02:42 AM

Breakfast has been a hard one for me because I always skipped it! Time is a big issue for me in the morning so what i have been doing is making it ahead. 1 serving of old fashioned oats is big and i never finish it so what I do is make 1 serving add some blueberries, brown sugar, cinnamon, and 1/2 tbsp of pure maple syrup..then I divide it between two containers and I have breakfast for two mornings to just heat in the microwave. if I have time I will add a few egg whites or a turkey sausage patty.
Another one that has been good is the Eggies I got for Christmas. In stead of doing one whole egg per container I put 2 egg whites and have those on hand for a snack or to add on the side.

Gnatt 04-22-2012 07:18 AM

My preferred breakfast is 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1 cup of unsweetened frozen strawberries (or raspberries, I thaw a bag at a time of each and keep them in the fridge) sweetened with stevia or a little honey, and a tablespoon of chia seeds.

Or I'll have a hardboiled egg (I cook a bunch up on the weekend and keep them in the fridge for the week) and a piece/bowl of fruit.

Also, about once a month, I make a batch of apple cinnamon steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight, and then portion it into 8 containers and freeze. One portion takes about 3-4 minutes to heat in the microwave, and is great for a morning when I am running behind.

Ingredients:

2 cup steel cut oats
8 cups liquids (I use water, sometimes I'll use two cups of soy milk for two cups of the water)
4 tsp cinnamon
2 apples, chopped
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
stevia to taste (or sometimes half honey. Yes, I know honey is like sugar, but it has a lot of health benefits and I am willing to allow for the calories sometimes)

Just put it all in the crockpot, stir it up, and let it cook on low overnight or for eight hours. I learned the hard way to use a crockpot liner, so it is easier to clean. But it is really yummy, and very convenient.

rlynn456 04-26-2012 01:18 AM

I've always skipped breakfast but since I started my weight loss I've been having a protein shake every morning, it's surprisingly filling and takes away the unbearable lunchtime food cravings so I don't over do it.
Renee
height: 5' 3"
highest weight: 215 lbs
current weight: 184 lbs
lbs lost: 31 lbs :)
goal weight: 145 lbs

mrpickem 05-01-2012 05:53 AM

I leave for work early @ 530AM so I always have a piece of fruit or a fruit cup at 515 with my vitamins/fiber/fish oil & then around 8 I eat cereal/1% milk/berries. I change up the cereal, but mainly stick with cheerios, fiber one or Special K.

chiphill13 05-05-2012 11:13 PM

Hi,
My breakfast usually consists of of my home made muesli. I get a big bag of oats and add to it some raisins, sliced almonds, goji berries, chopped dried apricots, or whatever dried fruits I have available. I weigh out approximately 50 grams served it with a cup of soya milk and topped with some fresh berries and freshly ground flax and sunflower seeds. Keeps me going until my next meal at lunch time.

bongatforums 05-06-2012 03:14 PM

Breakfast menu

Maybe you could come up with a weeks menu for breakfast so you look forward to it. Lets say:
Monday - cereals with a favorite siding (only for taste), juice and a fruit.
Tuesday - Oatmeal (good for the heart), fruit and juice (if you like to have sidings like sausage its ok as long as it is in moderate amount)
and so on and so forth ......for the rest of the week......etc.

Hope i could help ;)