Notices

Beef talk. Who cares where's the beef?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I like to let out many belches as much as the next guy. Just following in the footsteps of my Roman ancestors.
Are you sure about that? Your avatar looks decidedly like a guy from Cicily, LOL.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Are you sure about that? Your avatar looks decidedly like a guy from Cicily, LOL.
Sicilians like to belch too!

Actually I misspoke before. My family actually does hail from Sicily. But if you're familiar with the culture, you'll understand why I kept it on the down low.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Have you considered getting a freezer and stocking up when things go on sale?
I gotta tell ya, at first the PRICE was the big motivating factor, but now I've actually grown to enjoy the flavor of turkey burgers more than beef ones. It took a few months, but I've made the transition without too much effort.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

I mostly eat chicken, but i love a good steak.

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I've found beef to have gotten less and less flavorful over the years. Is this my imagination or is this the reality? Seriously, I'll buy a steak, barbeque it and it will be pretty much tasteless anymore, even the expensive cuts.
Maybe I need to teach you how to cook/season a steak. The biggest thing is to cook it over coal. Gas grills suck, period. Pick a good seasoning and don't over cook it. The cut isn't the only thing to look for, get a good grade, although I can even make a select steak make you want to slap your mama, give me choice and angus and you'll be throwing rocks at her. BTW, nothing against your mom.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

I am lucky in that where I work I can get 20% of nice lean ground beef at just over a buck a pound. Let's just say I never have too much freezer space.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

I was never a huge red meat eater. I've never liked steak (don't hit me, boys) and I've tried just about every cut you can throw at me (and cookd every way "from red to dead" as BF says). I'll eat a burger once in a blue moon.

When I do buy beef now, I buy 93% lean (which is expensive) and I try to use it sparingly so I can use it for a few meals. I'd rather buy the 93% turkey (cheaper) and make things with it. I love turkey chili, turkey burgers, turkey meatballs, turkey ANYTHING. It has more intrinsic flavor for me.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM
FitDay Member

I buy ground lean beef steak, don't think I could ever give it up! I make home made burgers with it and spag bol etc. However I can buy 97% fat free ground turkey that I think I will be switching into my diet every now and again to cut back on the red meat....
Old 01-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I won't give it up, but I have switched over to grass-fed beef. It's more expensive, but certainly no more expensive than junk food, and with planning and shopping the sales, it is a nutrition benefit I'm willing to pay for. I get both 96% lean and 92% lean when I get it ground, depending on what I use it for, and we never did have red meat more than once a week anyway, for the most part. Extra omega-3 fatty acids are only one of the benefits, and I tend to flirt with anemia, so red meat was recommended to stay in my diet. My cholesterol is 151, triglycerides are 56, so, nope, no plans to eliminate it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

I don't eat a lot of beef, but I don't shun it either. Turkey chili has just never done it for me, so that is one dish that definitely calls for beef in my book. I enjoy a lean steak from time to time, but it isn't something I make often. I shop sales and buy grass-fed whenever I can (it can be hard to find though and I envy those of you with a good supply). I generally only eat about a 3-4 oz. serving of meat, so a pack of meat goes pretty far.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Maybe I need to teach you how to cook/season a steak. The biggest thing is to cook it over coal. Gas grills suck, period. Pick a good seasoning and don't over cook it. The cut isn't the only thing to look for, get a good grade, although I can even make a select steak make you want to slap your mama, give me choice and angus and you'll be throwing rocks at her. BTW, nothing against your mom.
I'll be sure to mosey on down your way sometime!

Originally Posted by Kay_in_PA
Turkey chili has just never done it for me, so that is one dish that definitely calls for beef in my book.
Yeah, this has to be true. Like I said, I'm not TOTALLY giving up beef, just cut it back to maybe 5% of my total meat consumption. I couldn't imagine making chili without beef. And I really enjoy Sloppy Joe's once in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.