Notices

Peanut Butter: Kill Your Low-fat Diet?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by blackrhino2
I don't know how things have sugar in them if there is no sugar on the ingredient list. I thought it would just be considered carbs? Anyone know the answer to that q?

The sugar number is usually based on a laboratory analysis, and includes sugar that occurs naturally in a food, not just pure sugar added as an ingredient. FWIW, fruit juices are usually just as high in sugar as soda is. Fiber, protein and fat content in a food lessen the impact of the sugar on the body, which is why an apple has a much better glycemic index than apple juice. Both are naturally very high in sugar, but the fiber in the apple slows down the release of that sugar.

Sugar is also a type of carb, so when you see something like 23g carbs, 6g sugar that means of the 23g total carbs, 6g of that is simple "sugar" carbs.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default nutrition

I am wonder how much of each thing I should be aiming for, i.e. fat, sugar, proteins, fiber. Anyone know the answer to that?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by nellebop
I am wonder how much of each thing I should be aiming for, i.e. fat, sugar, proteins, fiber. Anyone know the answer to that?
I don't think there really is "one" answer to this--every body is different and people have different goals.

Personally, my "pie" comes out pretty close to the "Zone Diet" recommended 40/30/30 carb/fat/protien mix. I try to chose foods w/low saturated fat and no trans fats. I also avoid simple carbs to a large extent and don't worry about fiber.

I'm in no way saying this is the answer for you--it's just what seems to work well for me.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by melstrong
It is not fat that makes you fat but sugar is the evil one.
Just as long as you avoid hydrogenated fats you will be fine.
Use all natural peanut butter, almond butter is yummy too.
Just keep track of your calories.
I avoid all sugars of any form, white flour products, deep fried foods, and hydrogenated fats.
Bump! Excellent advice.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

I'm Type 2 Diabetic and both my nutritionist and doctor recommended a TBSP of peanut butter at bedtime ... the high protein means it digests slowly and keeps your blood sugar from spiking.

The important thing with ANY food (especially one you like a lot) is to eat it in moderation and not every day. That applies to peanut butter, too. (And natural is better if you can find it.)
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

This is how Whole Food make their all nature PB.
Put peanut in the food processor and grind until the consistency you wanted.

Cassie, I think you could apply this method for almond butter. That way you know exactly what in it.

Though my husband didn't like it all nature this way. But the kids and I don't mind.

mai
Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lastri
This is how Whole Food make their all nature PB.
Put peanut in the food processor and grind until the consistency you wanted.

Cassie, I think you could apply this method for almond butter. That way you know exactly what in it.

Though my husband didn't like it all nature this way. But the kids and I don't mind.

mai
I love this at Whole Foods! At our store, you can do almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter, honey roasted peanut butter, and peanut butter with chocolate chips in it this way.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 AM
FitDay Member

Peanut butter is fantastic, very filling, and tasty too, so I cannot imagine why anyone would wish to eliminate it. I will happily sometimes have a slice of bread with peanut butter for lunch with a cup soup, or have some on a cracker if I get hungry of an evening. So long as the calories are within the range to achieve your goal then variety is great - including things like PB.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by ssfelton
Peanut butter is fantastic, very filling, and tasty too, so I cannot imagine why anyone would wish to eliminate it. I will happily sometimes have a slice of bread with peanut butter for lunch with a cup soup, or have some on a cracker if I get hungry of an evening. So long as the calories are within the range to achieve your goal then variety is great - including things like PB.
I agree. I have a PB and J sandwich every Friday (on 35 cal WW bread). I love the natural crunchy PB. I buy the brand with only "peanuts and salt" as ingredients. Most of them seem to add sugar--not sure why. I like the Smuckers reduced sugar grape jelly--cals are not too bad and there are no artificial sweetners.

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-29-2011, 10:50 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by ssfelton
Because some of us just don't know when to say "when" . That's why it is a occasional visitor to my house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.