Notices

Peanut Butter: Kill Your Low-fat Diet?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Question

Its really stupid im only suppose to eat so many fat grams and i cant even eat penuts because if i enter them in the log it takes up like 1 third of my fat intake, there should be a place to write in good fats because they shouldnt count? any tips
Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
FitDay Member

I get this at Trader Joes. Good stuff.

Better 'n Peanut Butter | Home
Old 06-05-2010, 04:48 AM
FitDay Member

It's all Calories in VS Calories out. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you're eating in a deficit. If you're inactive, eat healthy fats, and if you're active eat a combo of fats/carbs.

Try not to complicate things too much.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NedoCTB
It's all Calories in VS Calories out. You can eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you're eating in a deficit. If you're inactive, eat healthy fats, and if you're active eat a combo of fats/carbs.

Try not to complicate things too much.
The fact that you should eat differently whether you're active or sedentary proves that it's not simply a matter of in vs. out. That hypothesis has been disproven over and over again in the literature, but it's one that for some reason dieticians love to cling onto.

Originally Posted by Lucpilon
Its really stupid im only suppose to eat so many fat grams and i cant even eat penuts because if i enter them in the log it takes up like 1 third of my fat intake, there should be a place to write in good fats because they shouldnt count? any tips
"good fats" are still fats, and they typically have similar fates in the body as the "bad fats." All fat has the potential to be stored as body fat if you have an accompanying insulin response. You can just as easily pack on fat if you eat bread with too many avocados as you can by eating bread with too much butter.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Seems like there's truth in both points above. In theory, "Calories in vs. Calories out" makes perfect sense and it's not a bad principle to follow for anyone just beginning to take control of their nutrition. You will lose 'weight' if you create a calorie deficit. But a person whose usual caloric intake of 1,600, all made up of twinkies, peanuts, and nachos will DEFINITELY NOT look, feel, or be as healthy as one whose caloric intake of 1,600 is made up of veggies, fruits, lean proteins, some whole grains and healthy fats.

But there truly is no one-size-fits-all plan, as Tandoori mentioned. Monitor your energy levels throughout the day to see whether your macronutrient choices and portions give you a boost or make you want to crawl up on the sofa. For me, that's a great indicator to know if what I'm eating causes me to thrive or dive. Oh yes, don't forget your water
Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 PM
FitDay Member

How does changing your eating habits if you're sedentary disprove the calories in vs calories out notion? Carbs are energy, if you're not using the energy provided by them they're completely useless. You feel more full if you eat food with higher fat content.

I could lose weight every week eating all beef and ice cream as long as I am in a calorie deficit. Not to say I am going to be healthy, I'm just saying I could if I wanted to.

I promote healthy eating: vege's, fruits, meats, occasional treats, etc. I hope no one takes it as I'm anti-healthy eating!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Nedo! I kind of figured you weren't advocating junk food, but there are some who only count calories and their nutrition is seriously lacking. Speaking for myself only, my concern is that even if I were inactive (which I would hate), the micronutrients, fiber, and antioxidants in carbs such as fruit and veg are required for optimum functioning in most humans--active or not. I would, though, be very strict with starchy carbs if I was inactive. Usually I try to watch starchy carbs anyways and reserve them for high energy requirements.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

I realize that their nutrition is sorely lacking, but if they've been heavy their whole lives and they've eaten junk food their whole lives it would be very hard to change their eating habits. There are people whom are below average weight/average weight that are unhealthy due to their eating habits, I realize this.

People that go on health kicks always figure they need to eat 100% clean foods and that is what sets them up for failure. The all or nothing mentality we carry really destroys us long-term because not very many people can eat 100% clean for the rest of their lives.

If the peanut butter this person was consuming fits into their calorie deficit/macros they have nothing to worry about in their weight loss journey. You don't need to eat under 15g of fat to lose weight.

Life is all about moderation.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

This is why I don't follow South Beach or Atkins, even though for me personally, I feel much better when I eat a high protein diet. On days I feel really well-lots of energy, good mood-consistently I'm well above 200% my RDA for protein. But Atkins and South Beach both have a lot of other rules that, quite frankly, I don't have the time or energy to deal with. I need to keep it simple if I'm going to stay the course. I try to eat 2 fruits and 3 veggies a day and be mindful of the junk food, but if it's my son's birthday and I want a cupcake, I'm gonna have one.

Nutrition is very complex. You could spend your whole life studying it and still not know everything. The concept of calorie deficit is a good place to start. Running may burn more calories than a leisurely stroll, but ANY activity is better than no activity. Before I started FitDay, I logged my calories in a notebook and did fairly well, but that became cumbersome and I gave it up. Gained it all back too. Having the RDA graphs and macronutrient pie chart and calories over time reports (besides appealing to the nerd in me) really do help you develop a good grasp of your own nutrition, what works for you, and what doesn't.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

I use to eat 750g of all natural peanut in 3 days when I was initially losing weight and the weight came off fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.