Notices

Truvia sweetener

Old 03-13-2010, 01:42 AM
FitDay Member

Question Truvia sweetener

Hi, Does anyone have any comments about the new sweetener Truvia? I understand that it is plant based from Stevia and supposed to be more natural, but I have avoided "artificial" sweeteners for years, due to headaches and vision problems from Nutrasweet. It seems if I use a little regular sugar it just sets my body off with crazy cravings, so I was hoping stevia might offer that little bit of sweet when I want it, without sending me into eating everything in the house that has sugar!
Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

I have used Truvia and Stevia for quite some time. Neither creates a Glycemic response or weird craving that sugar does; however, in my quest for a good sweetner that isn't commercially marketed chemicals.. I have found Xylitol is a good source. Check out Xylismart from Source Naturals. This product may not be right for you, but it is worth a look. It is used in sugarfree gums and such. I have had not negative side affects from the use of any of the sweetners mentioned. I am Hypothyroid and my body is VERY sensitive to everything. I hope this helps
Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
FitDay Member

Vet technician by trade here, just a word of warning for all you pet owners. Xylitol is a good product for humans, but it can cause liver failure in dogs. Keep it out of your pet's reach and treat it like an emergency if your furry friends get ahold of it.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzycritter-thank you so much for telling me that. Quite a few of the more natural 'sugar-free' items have it in them & I've never heard about it being toxic to dogs before.
I just bought some Truvia & it doesn't have as much of the bitter after taste that the regular commercial powdered stevia has. I grow my own & dry it for sweetening things like sauces when I don't mind the herbal flavor. I've been using Splenda for artificial sweetener but I like that the Truvia is suppose to be more natural.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM
FitDay Member

I LOVE Truvia. I was a Splenda junkie until I found Truvia. To me, It is the closest to sugar.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:02 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=Julia120479;22475]I stopped using it because it is not safe to ingest.QUOTE]

Julia, what is your source on this? I just want to offer a word of warning related to this, just because it is natural and in the stores does not make it safe for everyone! Has it been studied?

I've heard that it can cause a slight drop in blood pressure, but it would only be an issue if you have a lot and have problems with low blood pressure. Sorry no source here, but it is something to watch for.

For those of you who have trouble with sugar, have you tried raw sugar? I find it tastes better than anything and I don't get the sugar buzz going. It's all I use in my coffee.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Stevia

Stevia is a plant/herb... like oregeno. It can't hurt you.

Truvia is just Stevia with fruit sugars as far as I know?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:33 AM
FitDay Member

wylie, since "julia" has only one post so far and spam links in her post I'm going to call spambot or troll for now.

Stevia is a harmless plant and the glycoside sweeteners from it aren't metabolized in the body. Some people perceive a somewhat bitter aftertaste; for me it's really weird in coffee because it makes the coffee taste like marshmallows. But I'm pretty certain it's safe for human consumption.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 AM
FitDay Member

I've heard of people with allergies having trouble with stevia because it's related to ragweed, and digestive upsets in about 10% of the people who try it, but that's just hearsay and I don't have any data to back it up. I haven't tried it myself, nutrasweet/aspartame will drop my blood sugar and give me a migraine so I tend to avoid sweeteners altogether.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
FitDay Member

Lizzycritter,
good to know about the allergy issue with truvia. I am a splenda fan but was considering trying it, however, Im allergic to practically everything outside (lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.