FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   How to cook healthy? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/6030-how-cook-healthy.html)

top_dog 12-25-2011 05:41 AM

How to cook healthy?

First a brief background on my self I'm 23, weighing 12stone, 5.8" in height and a student in the UK :-)
I did go to the gym for about 6months about five years ago but i didn't follow it through, i was young and easily distracted. But now I'm 100% dedicated and i had a few questions regarding eating healthy so thought i would join the forum and gain some knowledge from some of you experienced members.

I have recently took up Jogging in the past 3months to get into shape. I can run a full 4miles without stopping which is a big accomplishment as i was pretty unhealthy to begin with. But now i want to join the gym, start eating healthy and eating the right food to gain muscle. I have read a few articles and threads about which food to eat but i don't really cook. I wanted to know were i can get info on how to cook these foods and how some of you learnt how to cook these foods and your daily meals.

top_dog 12-29-2011 02:32 AM

bump

VitoVino 12-29-2011 02:38 AM

You can find a lot of good, healthy recipes here:

WHFoods: The World's Healthiest Foods Kitchen

RunbikeSki 12-29-2011 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by top_dog (Post 65951)
First a brief background on my self I'm 23, weighing 12stone, 5.8" in height and a student in the UK :-)
I did go to the gym for about 6months about five years ago but i didn't follow it through, i was young and easily distracted. But now I'm 100% dedicated and i had a few questions regarding eating healthy so thought i would join the forum and gain some knowledge from some of you experienced members.

I have recently took up Jogging in the past 3months to get into shape. I can run a full 4miles without stopping which is a big accomplishment as i was pretty unhealthy to begin with. But now i want to join the gym, start eating healthy and eating the right food to gain muscle. I have read a few articles and threads about which food to eat but i don't really cook. I wanted to know were i can get info on how to cook these foods and how some of you learnt how to cook these foods and your daily meals.

Hi Topdog - welcome!

Some of the best recipes are the simpliest - broiled fish with lemon, roasted veggies, salads with low calorie dressings. There are a number of recipe books out there with lots of ideas for low calorie meals, but also a number of websites. Epicurious.com is a great site that allows one to select for certain characteristics like "low calorie". I use it occassionally when I have an ingredient I'm not sure what to do with, or want to do something different, like fennel or parsnips.

If you scan through the posts in this section you should come across lots of ideas for super simple to more complicated soups and stews.

wildbeanerz 12-29-2011 04:15 AM

If you aren't sure of technique you can always search on youtube for videos too. Say you have a recipe and it lists a step that you arent' sure of like (cream together ingredients) you could search for that and watch a video or two. :)

Hope that isn't advertisement. ;)

VitoVino 12-29-2011 06:06 AM

BTW, the link I gave you shows you HOW to cook healthy as well. ;)

Healthy Good Tasting Ways to Prepare "The World's Healthiest Foods"

* Cooking Healthy with Winter Greens
* Cooking Healthy with Green Beans
* Cooking Healthy with Asparagus
* Cooking Healthy with Leeks
* Cooking Healthy with Mushrooms
* Cooking Healthy with Garden Peas
* Cooking Healthy with Sweet Potatoes
* Cooking Healthy with Winter Squash
* Cooking Healthy with Sea Vegetables
* Cooking Healthy with Miso
* Cooking Healthy with Avocados
* Cooking Healthy with Basil
* Cooking Healthy with Dill
* Cooking Healthy with Sunflower Seeds
* Cooking Healthy with Apricots
* Cooking Healthy with Strawberries
* Cooking with World's Healthiest Grains
* How to Cook Healthy Good Tasting Vegetables
* How to Cook Healthy and Enhance the Flavor of Chicken
* How to Cook Healthy and Enhance the Flavor of Fish
* How to Cook Healthy Sauces

Healthy Cooking Methods

* Healthy Sauté Cooking Method
* Healthy Quick Broil Cooking Method
* Healthy Stovetop Braising Cooking Method
* Healthy Stovetop Searing Cooking Method
* Healthy Stir-Fry Cooking Method
* Healthy Steaming Cooking Method

Healthy Cooking with the Seasons

* Best healthy cooking methods for Fall and Winter
* What are the Best Healthy Cooking Methods & Foods for Spring and Summer
* What are the best foods to cook in winter?
* What Foods are best to eat in the summer?

Irishhillygirl 01-11-2012 02:03 AM

Hi there, congrats on the increase in fitness. Have you thought about joining a Crossfit gym? I don't have one near me, wish i did, they have a more "all around" approach to fitness and nutrition - so you could improve your fitness and learn more about cooking too :)

volleyballgranny 01-11-2012 02:26 AM

I learned to cook from my mother and grandmother. They were pretty fanatical about cooking what they grew in the garden or the beef my granddaddy raised himself. We've lived a low-carb lifestyle for the last 30 years--diabetes in the family. There are some great recipes and videos on youtube. Look for Kent Altena--his videos show the step by step preparation of recipes. He's not the only one...there are quite a few how-to videos out there.

calicafe 05-28-2014 09:44 PM

congrats around the improve within physical fitness. Maybe you have contemplated becoming a member of any Crossfit health and fitness center? When i don't have a single next to everyone, would like i did so, they've already an increasingly "all around" approach to physical fitness and nutrition : and that means you can strengthen your physical fitness and read more about food preparation also.