Notices

Foods you've liked, foods you've hated...

Old 12-28-2011, 02:09 AM
FitDay Member

Tori...I'm the opposite. I love baked sweet potatoes! I am going on a search soon to find fresh sweet potatoes that are of a decent size to bake. All the ones I see at the store are the huge yam looking things.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

April, when you say "bake" do you mean oven or microwave? They come out fabulous in a microwave, it's the only way I cook them. One weighing a pound will cook complete in 11-12 minutes.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

Microwave
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I'm old enough to remember when microwaves first hit the market. So I still consider gas/electric ovens as "conventional" and still distinguish between them. I've got some friends the same age as me and just this summer I had to show them how great microwaves were for baking potatoes.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

I have never baked a potato in an oven. I love using the microwave for that. Or better yet wrapping in foil and putting in the fire at camp! Yum!

Do you buy your sweet taters by the pound? Ours seem pretty expensive and like I said, they are huge too.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Since I eat a sweet potato almost every day, I usually wind up buying them about 5 pounds at a time. I get big ones, ones that are 350-500 grams (450 grams is a pound). I can eat one of these biggies, along with 4 tbsp of non fat sour cream, and I wind up getting most of my days potassium (especially if I sprinkle "No Salt") along with a good deal of fiber and magnesium.

I never really ate them much before except at Thanksgiving. Now I eat them a lot and have given up eating white potatoes pretty much.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

I wanted to comment on a few foods I specifically saw mentioned in this thread. First, Dr. Praeger's pancakes -- I am NOT a spinach fan, so only tried these ONCE, about eight years ago, but I have been eating the broccoli pancakes for YEARS and absolutely LOVE them. They were initially a bit smaller when I first started buying them but now they're made larger and each pancake is a bit more calorically dense. They are SO SO SO good. I wish I liked spinach; I love just about every green imaginable, but I have tried and tried to like spinach and just don't like the taste. I eat a lot of greens raw that I've only seen cooked in recipes and on cooking shows - i.e., kale, dandelion greens, etc. But I can't tolerate raw spinach in a salad either. And I eat two large salads of various greens every day.

Greek yogurt - YES. I buy the Fage 2 percent plain, or alternatively, I buy my store brand low fat plain yogurt, which is a bit less calorically-dense than the Fage 2 percent, and I do buy the Fage 0 percent fat as well. I defrost one serving of frozen mixed berries (140 grams) and mix those into the plain or Greek yogurt, with a packet of Splenda. When the berries start to melt, they form a wonderful berry "juice" that mixes into the yogurt and this is a FANTASTIC breakfast some days. LOVE it. PS: I REALLY don't like the Chobani Greek yogurts. As for flavored Greek yogurts, I DO like one Chobani flavor, the Pineapple, but it's a 2 percent yogurt, NOT a fat free, and it's a bit carb-dense so I don't often buy it (I have Type 1 diabetes and try to use modest amounts of insulin to cover carbs; most of my meals are greens/salad and protein, except breakfast).

One other food that someone mentioned are sweet potatoes. I have NEVER understood the concept of eating those Thanksgiving dishes made with candied sweet potatoes with every sort of sweetened addition imaginable. Since I was a young child, we always served baked sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving, and that's the ONLY way that I've ever eaten them. The most I will do is add a TINY bit of butter, but I don't like butter on REGULAR potatoes either and typically just dress it with salt and pepper. But they are SO delicious and the single most healthy food in the produce department from what I've read and heard. Oh, but they are ENORMOUS these days. I cannot find a normal size potato -- they're like apples; they're on steroids, they're so huge. But they're a great food but again carb-dense so I eat them only occasionally.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
I have never baked a potato in an oven. I love using the microwave for that. Or better yet wrapping in foil and putting in the fire at camp! Yum!

Do you buy your sweet taters by the pound? Ours seem pretty expensive and like I said, they are huge too.
Hi Ms Beanerz.
Try using the oven some time... it is a subtle, but a true baked potato, or sweet potato is yummier, IMO.

The one food I have tried (several times) to adopt is those "thin buns" by various bakeries. I just don't like the flavor. Something about them tastes chemically to me. And when I try to toast them they turn to crackers. Which would be OK if I wanted a cracker, but as a bread substitute, I just can't do it

Last edited by RunbikeSki; 01-05-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, Pam. I've also tried them several times and they seem to be very tasteless to me. I prefer the tortillas as mentioned above, or even one of the high fiber bread or English muffin varieties.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
FitDay Member

I don't like Miracle Noodles but I eat them anyway because they fill me up for low calorie cost.

In addition to fruits and vegetables which I've been eating more of I found out I like Weetabix. 3 biscuits is a great breakfast in some hot milk.

That's my most recent discovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.