FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   How to get more vitamin D? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/592-how-get-more-vitamin-d.html)

almeeker 03-07-2010 01:06 PM

How to get more vitamin D?

Every day I've been logging my foods on this site, and for the most part by the end of the day I've met all my nutritional requirements except for vitamin D. Besides dairy are there other foods that contain it?

tdiederich 03-07-2010 02:35 PM

One of the best source of Vit D can't be documented on you daily food log. It's Sunshine. We get most of our Vit D from the Sun. With that said, you can also take a multivitamin with Vit D or a Vit D supplement. Some Calcium supplements also have Vit D with them.

:p Tracy :p

jancamp09 03-08-2010 12:35 AM

I was with my daughter at the doctors the other day. The dr told my daughter almost everyone is low on Vitamin D and everyone should take Vitamin D supplement. It's a really cheap vitamin to buy. I've been taking it for a few months now and find that it has helped with some knee joint issues as well.

Amazon2Andes 03-08-2010 01:35 AM

Sunshine, Supplements, and Fortified Foods

I was worried about not getting enough Vit D, too. I did some research, and 10-15 minutes 3 days a week of direct sunshine will give you enough Vit D - you just need your arms and legs exposed, or your back to get enough. Also, most cereals and juices are enriched with Vit D and others that are hard to get.

It is nearly impossible to get it all just from your food, unless it has been enriched. If you arent someplace where it is warm enough to go out in shorts and t shirt, you will likely need a supplement.

Hope that Helps,

Carla

bobbys89 03-08-2010 06:16 AM

fatty fish have a lot

almeeker 03-08-2010 09:14 AM

I live in the frozen north, so not too much chance of me getting out in shorts and t-shirt (without getting hypothermia that is) for at least another month. Although having said that it's almost beautiful today and a balmy 54 degrees. I've been taking a vitamin supplement for years and years, but now that I'm watching every bite I eat I was starting to think that maybe I could skip the vitamin if I'm getting everything I need through diet.

Fatty fish eh? You know somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking whitefish soup had tons. Of course I'm trying to cut the fat out of my diet, so maybe that isn't an option for me either.

Marijanchi7 03-16-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by bobbys89 (Post 5345)
fatty fish have a lot

120gram of anchovy have 250,2 IU , 24,4% RDA
80 gram of tuna have 200 IU

Marijanchi7 03-16-2010 10:01 AM

anchovy have and:
omega-3 (ALA, EPA, DHA, DPA) 120gram=1,4mcg=54,4%RDA ,
B-12 120 gram=8,2mcg= = 137%RDA

almeeker 03-16-2010 12:37 PM

It's not listed on my favorite can of tuna, I wonder why not? I eat tuna nearly every day for lunch, so maybe I'm getting plenty that isn't showing up on my nutrition chart.

Marijanchi7 03-19-2010 06:02 AM

I find that data in his book: The World's Healthiest Foods